I booked my second cruise! Looking for accomodation suggestions

Martha A.

Earning My Ears
I'll be on my second cruise on 09/02/2019 going to Alaska and I'm so excited!

We leave out of Vancouver BC and plan to get there the day before we board the ship...any suggestions on accomodations? Also, how far in advance do you think I can book a room?

I appreciate the help!

We leave out of Vancouver BC and plan to get there the day before we board the ship...any suggestions on accomodations? Also, how far in advance do you think I can book a room?

I appreciate the help!

The most convenient hotel to the port is the Pan Pacific, literally across the street. But, that convenience comes with a price. Some hotels would probably already show availability for September 2019, those that don't will do so about a year out.

The most convenient hotel to the port is the Pan Pacific, literally across the street. But, that convenience comes with a price. Some hotels would probably already show availability for September 2019, those that don't will do so about a year out.
Not across the street, but the port is part of the same building as the Pan Pacific

Not across the street, but the port is part of the same building as the Pan Pacific

Correct. The Pan Pacific is on top of the Canada Place cruise ship terminal. Across the street (but still about as expensive as the Pan Pacific) is the Fairmont Waterfront.

Correct. The Pan Pacific is on top of the Canada Place cruise ship terminal. Across the street (but still about as expensive as the Pan Pacific) is the Fairmont Waterfront.

Sorry if that was misinformation. It's been several years since we stayed there. I could've sworn we walked across the street, and I know that we walked outside. So, maybe we went the wrong way.

We stayed at the Pan Pacific in 2011. It is a beautiful hotel. We booked a standard room, city view for the 4 of us. The view from the lobby is breath taking. I remarked to the woman checking us in how blessed she was to work at a place with that beautiful view every day. She left the front desk for a minute. When she came back she said she was able to upgrade us to a mountain view. We were so excited and thanked her. But when we saw the room----it wasn't just an upgraded view, she upgraded us to a one bedroom suite! The room had a doorbell which the kids took great delight in ringing. The bathroom was almost bigger than our cabin on the Wonder. We were able to watch the Wonder sail into port the morning of our cruise. You can also arrange to have your luggage picked up by bell services and taken to the ship for you. (Check on that though because our cruise was 7 years ago and things change.) There is an underground walkway to a mall area with a food court and some shops. Enjoy your cruise-Alaska is still by far our most favorite vacation.

We are staying at the Pan Pacific for our Alaska cruise in September (this year). Stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront the last time we cruised Alaska in 2011. Both are very nice hotels. I booked the Pan Pacific in November 2017. Since then they offered a Cruise Package in June for $125 CAD/night less than our original conformation, free breakfast, WiFi and late check-out (2:00 pm), and luggage transfer (we roll our own on board). They were very nice about giving us the special at a reduced rate.

So now is too soon. Wait until the first part of 2019 then keep you eyes out for specials. This is a good thread for comments of hotels in Vancouver for cruises: https://www.disboards.com/threads/hotel-and-cab-info-for-alaska-cruise.3687250/

Sorry if that was misinformation. It's been several years since we stayed there. I could've sworn we walked across the street, and I know that we walked outside. So, maybe we went the wrong way.

But you made it onto the ship in the end so that's what counts :thumbsup2

I appreciate the help!

It's been 4 years since we sailed on the Wonder to Alaska, but we ended up staying at the Fairmont that was just up the street from Canada Place, maybe 3 blocks away, straight up the hill as I recall. I really wanted to book the Pan Pacific but never could find a halfway decent rate. Glad to hear some folks have gotten good deals there.

One odd thing I recall about Vancouver was the taxi situation. There were 6 of us, 4 adults and 2 little people, so we had a good bit of luggage. I was expecting to be able to grab a taxi that would hold us all, like a van or even a larger mini-van would here at home. We ended up needing two taxis to hold us all, most of the taxis I saw were small like a Prius.

Taxis are very frustrating here in Vancouver - I think the max passenger capacity is 4 all the time. Minivan taxis exist but are intended for passengers with wheelchairs.

There are many, many hotels in Vancouver and in the downtown area things are quite close and often walkable even if you aren't at the Pan Pacific or Fairmont Waterfront. Since I live here I can't recommend any particular hotel but I do think there are other threads here from recent weeks discussing hotels in Vancouver.

I'm finding that the ones I'd consider are not available for booking yet (I'm looking for mid-August 2019). Booking.com shows some, but they're pretty far out, in an area that makes me edgy (and I live in NYC) per pretty much all the reviews on Trip Advisor, or just don't look that great. I'm planning to either splurge on the Pan Pacific or the Fairmont Waterfront, go with the Hampton Inn my parents are staying at this year, or the Blue Horizon where I've stayed before.

I'm finding that the ones I'd consider are not available for booking yet (I'm looking for mid-August 2019). Booking.com shows some, but they're pretty far out, in an area that makes me edgy (and I live in NYC) per pretty much all the reviews on Trip Advisor, or just don't look that great. I'm planning to either splurge on the Pan Pacific or the Fairmont Waterfront, go with the Hampton Inn my parents are staying at this year, or the Blue Horizon where I've stayed before.

I recommend signing up for the loyalty programs for any hotels you would LIKE to stay at, so that you will get email notification of any special rates. Good luck! :cutie:

I recommend signing up for the loyalty programs for any hotels you would LIKE to stay at, so that you will get email notification of any special rates. Good luck! :cutie:

Yep. Already done. I've been an Hhonors member for a while, and signed up for the clubs for the Pan Pacific and the Fairmont.

Yep. Already done. I've been an Hhonors member for a while, and signed up for the clubs for the Pan Pacific and the Fairmont.

Yay! :dogdance: That's how I got a pretty decent rate at the Fairmont. Wish I could remember the name of it, but it was walking distance up the hill from Canada Place. Old hotel, and I love historic hotels. Hope you get a good rate where you want to stay. :cutie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter