"I brushed my teeth, and I don't have cooties." An August DFTW and Disneymoon TR

:thumbsup2 I like the way you think!

:laughing: Let's storm Aloha Isle!

It's a beautiful resort!! And the atmosphere/vibe is just so great. We're slowly trying to check off every Disney resort as budget allows and as we find good deals, etc. But I feel like Wilderness Lodge will always keep tempting me away from other places. We almost booked it for our upcoming anniversary trip. But I'll just have to settle for visiting and eating there, which is almost as good!

Almost. And that's what I'll settle with too. :)

It was so great! Every once in a while an allergy chef just gets creative and goes out of their way, and it might just be a little thing for them, but for me it's super exciting and meaningful. I don't usually get to go to restaurants that have bottomless milkshakes and get to try my own milkshake.

I'm certainly glad you were able to have one! :)

It's so easy to do...especially when it's been almost a year.

Oh, Lord. I know.

Yeah, we're obviously Disney troublemakers.

::yes::

I take my Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin very seriously.

Obviously!
I'll go for a dole whip with you, but won't take you on at Buzz!

It's amazing how much a day of park touring will give you an appetite!

I don't know how we managed to eat so much food in one trip. :confused3 More incredible is that we only put on a couple of pounds over the two weeks. I guess all those steps and all the sweating must have saved us.

I definitely learned my lesson! Now if I were going to schedule any non-park activities, it would be at the beginning or in the middle, and definitely not at the end. My rationale was that I'd put it at the end of the trip because Daytona is already on our driving route back home, and so after how exhausted we'd be at the end of the trip we'd just have a day or two of relaxing at the beach to recoup. That, and I wanted to give us as much time as possible to adjust to the heat so I didn't feel like death sitting on the beach in the sun in the early days of the trip. I don't handle the heat well, especially at the beach, and I thought it would help me to be less zonked. But as true as all of those things were, they didn't take into account the strongest force of all: the post-Disney depression.

That's a force that is not to be denied.

I did. And it made me feel happy and sad at the same time.

:hug:

I get it.

The first time we ever went there, they even sat us in the New Brunswick section, which is the province where we both grew up.

:laughing: Of course they did.

But it just feels so familiar! All the cast members feel like talking to people at home. I can only imagine how much more strongly this would apply to people who move to a new country and find a community of people from their home country. Like my step father who immigrated from Greece and immediately became heavily involved in the Greek community where he was living.

I totally get this. My Dad immigrated from Germany and has been the president of the German Congress here.

Apparently it's called Ramune, according to Su-Lynn and Google. It's a Japanese soft drink. It comes in little glass bottles with a marble trapped in the neck creating a seal, and when you open it the marble is forced down into the bottom of the bottle. I didn't try it, but Nathan thought it was nifty.

Huh. Might have to look for that.
I'm all over trying new soft drinks.

Mo'Rockin' forever! They were my favourite act at Epcot, by far!

Wish I'd seen them. Ah well.

That said, Nathan ordered the giant rib-eye the last time we went because he had a bigger appetite and wanted to try something more marbled, and he loved it and said he wouldn't go back to the filet!

Really!
Maybe I'll have to pay it a return visit. :)

(That same trip of the rib-eye we had taken my mom and grandmother there with us, and my grandmother just ordered a poutine, and not even a very Canadian-sounding one, and I was so disappointed.)

:sad2:
I saw that poutine on the menu and just shook my head.

The Long Road Home
The Non-Disney Days

When we started packing up to head for home the next morning, the post-Disney sadness returned. But after extending our Disney time once (which I think I forgot to mention—we added a night at the WL and moved our Daytona hotel by a night)...anyway after extending once, and then extending a second time when we left the beach to go back to Disney for a day, we were finally out of time and needed to go home. I had school to prepare for, and N had work waiting for him at home. This necessity to get on the road made the sadness a little easier to bear this time around. We said goodbye to the Hampton Inn that had treated us so well, and we were on our way.

i7xbQ5I.jpg

It seemed appropriate that the skies were as cloudy as my mood.

Our first stop was in Jacksonville because I remember wanting something very specific at Whole Foods...I think it was a certain Namaste gluten free cake mix so I could try to make the GF corn bread they serve at WCC. I remember that they didn't have the cake mix, but they did have individual packets of shelf stable bacon, so there's that. *nom*

Then we stopped at the Georgia visitor center where we posed with a display for the Guardians of the Galaxy sequel.

t039tEv.jpg

4XMmMK4.jpg

Vau2r7G.jpg

Our next major stop was South of the Border...

yNwrggz.jpg

...and N suggested I try to brighten my mood by taking selfies with all the creepy animal statues. Here's a compilation:

5hrxEae.jpg

We made it to Virginia that night and crashed at another Hampton Inn. (They're my favourites because they're so consistent, and I'm in the rewards program, so sue me.)

We awoke the next morning early, and to a beautiful day...

wBdIScw.jpg

....but it felt COLD! It was the end of August, and yet I was snuggling up in my new Wilderness Lodge sweatshirt as if I were approaching a Canadian winter. I never expected to adjust to the Florida heat, but after being down there for two weeks I had really gotten used to it. Anything less just felt a little chilly.

We drove...for a long time. Traffic wasn't as lousy going back through as it was going down, which was a blessing. By no fault of our own, we seemed to have timed it better getting through all the yuckiest cities for traffic.

z3xqnJd.jpg

oKE8bcw.jpg

nlB9iDn.jpg

We drove for what felt like forever...basically because it was. And we listened to the first Harry Potter book from start to finish. (I think it took 9 hours?) It was very late by the time we arrived at our destination, but we'd made it to Old Orchard Beach, Maine. We checked in to the seaside motel I'd booked. It felt very...rustic...compared to the sweet digs we'd had at Disney. We were on the second floor, and the stairs and decks didn't feel super secure, and the railings were lacking. Our floor creaked, and our screen door was finicky. We could hear everything that was being said in the rooms around us. But...as we'd discover the next morning...we couldn't beat the view!

eksH2gm.jpg

xXaImbK.jpg

DQdAfE8.jpg

HNOdKL8.jpg

It's such a beautiful, quaint little seaside town! I had never been, despite living not too far away, and we both appreciated the chance to slow down a bit. Because we weren't thrilled with the lodging, we decided to enjoy our day there, but not to stay another night, and then to drive further north to Bangor for dinner and to stay the night there instead, before returning home.

With that decided, we wanted to make the most of the day! Maine, however, was even colder than Virginia! (Shocker, I know.) In reality, it was probably about 75 degrees, but after the heat of Orlando, 75 didn't feel like ocean weather. We walked the beach a lot, and even I tried swimming a bit, but the water was brutally cold. I was getting a little grouchy at this point, and N did his best to put up with me.

Fortunately, I had another must-do on my list to improve our day here. I'd read online about a Lobster Pound and fish place called Bayley's that was, apparently, not to be missed. We found a small grocery store with a few gluten free items, where we picked up butter, mayo, salt and pepper, and gluten free hot dog buns. Then we went to Bayleys. It was quaint, and everything looked fresh and delicious.

RIWZpXD.jpg

We bought some lobster meat...

96XhLig.jpg

...and headed back to our little kitchenette to make authentic Maine lobster rolls while in Maine. I like my lobster rolls with as little mayo and as much lobster as possible. Oh, and I also like them overlooking the crystal-blue ocean.

9VCtHP3.jpg

This was the perfect afternoon activity, and I even perked up enough to smile AND take off my sweater!

Yi8QoEa.jpg

That night we went to Bangor and ate dinner at the Texas Roadhouse. N loves the atmosphere and the steaks. But we both found it a little disappointing after all the amazing meals we'd had at Disney.

That night we stayed at the Hampton Inn in Bangor. Aahhh, sweet familiarity!

NlqWLe6.jpg

uAbtSGo.jpg

VRShhCD.jpg

Then the next morning we drove back to Nova Scotia, and life slowly returned to normal. We adopted a cat. #StaceyJAswad :cat: I went back to school. N continued to work. And slowly, the trip became nothing but a memory, until almost a month had passed and I felt ready to begin writing this report to re-live it. I can't believe that we are now, somehow, already coming up on our first anniversary, and that this trip report is finally over! :eek:

XxNIWOT.gif

I so appreciate everyone who's taken the time to read and/or comment as I got the chance to share my Disneymoon of a lifetime with you. :lovestruc

This thread isn't quite ready to die yet, though! I'll be back very soon with a PTR-type post for our upcoming August anniversary trip. I'm so looking forward to this trip, and to telling you all about it! I've hinted at this a few times on the Dis, but there are so many amazing things planned for our anniversary trip that it would almost have the potential to rival our Disneymoon, if it weren't for the pure fact that it was our Disneymoon, and nothing can compete with that. More on this soon. :hyper:

Afterwards, I may also do a couple of posts here about a few specific parts of our lost December trip...i.e. the trip report that I was going to write, which I had nearly completed, and which was then swallowed up by the technological abyss. I won't write anywhere near a full report, so I don't think it needs its own thread, but I do want to share some pictures and memories from things like the Marathon Weekend 5K, our Marceline to the Magic Kingdom tour, and the stories behind a couple of fun quotes. Please feel welcome to stick around and enjoy the continued fun if those things are of interest to you!

Last edited:
The view from the quaint hotel was lovely but I think I probably would have moved on after one night too. I'm looking forward to your anniversary plans and the December recap!!

This is a great display!

(They're my favourites because they're so consistent, and I'm in the rewards program, so sue me.)

My favorite is Best Western, I've found them pretty consistent! But maybe I'll branch out and try a Hampton Inn now!

Also, I just finished reading The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street and the narrator says "so sue me" all the time!

Maine looks so lovely! Bummer that the hotel was less than lovely though.

YUM! So much delicious lobster meat! I like warm lobster rolls with butter and toasted bread mmmmm

That's such a unique layout!

We adopted a cat.

What, no pictures?!

When we started packing up to head for home the next morning, the post-Disney sadness returned.

I totally understand. :hug:

I had school to prepare for, and N had work waiting for him at home.

Ugh.... work.
A dirty four letter word.

they did have individual packets of shelf stable bacon, so there's that. *nom*

:laughing: So not all is lost.

...and N suggested I try to brighten my mood by taking selfies with all the creepy animal statues. Here's a compilation:

5hrxEae.jpg

:) I like that!

(They're my favourites because they're so consistent, and I'm in the rewards program, so sue me.)

I get it. I'm the same way with Country Inn & Suites.

We drove for what felt like forever

Oh, how I know what this feels like.

And we listened to the first Harry Potter book from start to finish. (I think it took 9 hours?)

My last road trip earlier this month I think I listened to 3 books.
Great way to pass the time.

It felt very...rustic...compared to the sweet digs we'd had at Disney. We were on the second floor, and the stairs and decks didn't feel super secure, and the railings were lacking. Our floor creaked, and our screen door was finicky. We could hear everything that was being said in the rooms around us. But...as we'd discover the next morning...we couldn't beat the view!

Very nice!

Maine, however, was even colder than Virginia! (Shocker, I know.)

<gasp!>

I was getting a little grouchy at this point, and N did his best to put up with me.

and headed back to our little kitchenette to make authentic Maine lobster rolls while in Maine.

:worship:

I wouldn't know where to start! (Perhaps.... on the coast.)

I like my lobster rolls with as little mayo and as much lobster as possible. Oh, and I also like them overlooking the crystal-blue ocean.

This was the perfect afternoon activity, and I even perked up enough to smile AND take off my sweater!

Yi8QoEa.jpg

She's smiling! She's smiling!

N loves the atmosphere and the steaks. But we both found it a little disappointing after all the amazing meals we'd had at Disney.

Not surprised.

<sigh>

I so appreciate everyone who's taken the time to read and/or comment as I got the chance to share my Disneymoon of a lifetime with you. :lovestruc

Thank you so much for sharing it with us! :goodvibes

Hampton Inns are reliable, I get it. When Alex and I are looking for a quick and familiar place to stay, we tend to pick the chain we know because the last thing we want is unexpected surprises during our travels.

That view from your Maine resort...N was getting some beach time even if it was in Maine.
Your lobster roll looked quite yummy!

I'm so sad that this report is done, but I really cannot wait for you to return to WDW in August and write about it after you get back.:goodvibes (And of course I look forward to hearing about the 5K experience.)

So I never post on TR's but I read so many of them! I've been following along for what seems like forever but it's been fun. My daughter and I adored your wedding photos, absolutely stunning. I'm subscribed to your other reports so I'll still be here hiding :rolleyes1. Your trip was amazing and I hope your anniversary is just as magical. We may be there at the same time? We leave today for my daughter's 21'st birthday trip. 2 hours til I'm on my way to POR!

I remember that they didn't have the cake mix, but they did have individual packets of shelf stable bacon, so there's that. *nom
:confused3 What on earth! I mean, I don't *hate* the idea of having bacon ready to eat at any given time but who thought of this? Hahaha

Then we stopped at the Georgia visitor center where we posed with a display for the Guardians of the Galaxy sequel.
Oh, Georgia. I guess it makes sense that our visitor center was advertising for Guardians since it was filmed here (or at least a lot of it was). But still seems odd!!

5hrxEae.jpg
Genius! I love the top center, a fancy horse?

I like my lobster rolls with as little mayo and as much lobster as possible. Oh, and I also like them overlooking the crystal-blue ocean.
Two things of absolute beauty! Maine looks lovely.

I can't believe that we are now, somehow, already coming up on our first anniversary, and that this trip report is finally over!
at first I was a little sad... but then I read on that the trip report isn't actually ending just yet so I'm back to being excited for your anniversary trip!!! :lovestruc Looking forward to the PTR post, and hearing a few details about the lost trip that went into report vortex :scared:

I have really enjoyed reading your report. I laugh when you described Old Orchard Beach - rustic is certainly one word for it. My in-laws actually live in Ocean Park, which is the town next to Old Orchard so I am very familiar that rustic vibe. And that water is cold. Looking forward to hearing about your August trip.

Haha I agree 75 in Maine is not the same 75 in Orlando. Despite being born and raised in Maine I have never been to Old Orchard. I always prefered going to Bar Harbor and Acadia. I can't wait for your August because that means our trip is even closer. :) My countdown is 37 days!!! I think we will miss each other by a few days though.

I can't believe that we are now, somehow, already coming up on our first anniversary, and that this trip report is finally over! :eek:

XxNIWOT.gif
Perfect gif!

This thread isn't quite ready to die yet, though! I'll be back very soon with a PTR-type post for our upcoming August anniversary trip. I'm so looking forward to this trip, and to telling you all about it! I've hinted at this a few times on the Dis, but there are so many amazing things planned for our anniversary trip that it would almost have the potential to rival our Disneymoon, if it weren't for the pure fact that it was our Disneymoon, and nothing can compete with that. More on this soon. :hyper:
Yay! I hope you have fun back at Disney!

And we listened to the first Harry Potter book from start to finish. (I think it took 9 hours?) It was very late by the time we arrived at our dest

No better way to spend a long drive, in my opinion. :D

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading all about it!

This thread isn't quite ready to die yet, though! I'll be back very soon with a PTR-type post for our upcoming August anniversary trip. I'm so looking forward to this trip, and to telling you all about it!

Woohoo! More to come!

I cannot get over that you LEFT Disney and then you WENT BACK to Disney. That is crazy and insane and everything a honeymoon should be. Thank you so much for letting us get married right along with you. But I'm a little dismayed you forgot to wave as you drove by....

By no fault of our own, we seemed to have timed it better getting through all the yuckiest cities for traffic.

z3xqnJd.jpg
We may have horrible traffic, but its #HomeSweetHome!

I always feel like it rains on the end of vacation because of my mood!

5hrxEae.jpg

Haha very clever and cute!! Seems like it's only the right thing to do!

We made it to Virginia that night and crashed at another Hampton Inn. (They're my favourites because they're so consistent, and I'm in the rewards program, so sue me.)

When we used to drive to Disney with my family when i was young we always stayed at Hampton Inns, they were the best hotels we had stayed at on the road trips so we always looked forward to them rather than the HoJo. :)

and headed back to our little kitchenette to make authentic Maine lobster rolls while in Maine. I like my lobster rolls with as little mayo and as much lobster as possible. Oh, and I also like them overlooking the crystal-blue ocean.

9VCtHP3.jpg

Two of my favorite things!! :)

Then the next morning we drove back to Nova Scotia, and life slowly returned to normal. We adopted a cat. #StaceyJAswad :cat: I went back to school. N continued to work. And slowly, the trip became nothing but a memory, until almost a month had passed and I felt ready to begin writing this report to re-live it. I can't believe that we are now, somehow, already coming up on our first anniversary, and that this trip report is finally over! :eek:

XxNIWOT.gif

:sad::sad::sad:
It's over! Can't believe it!! It's amazing how you had all those weeks of Disney Life, and Wedding Life, and Honyemoon Life and now it's back to regular life, and it's weird, right?
But thanks for sharing I had such blast reading about your epic Disneymoon and also for being a part of it for a split second!! :hug:

WOW it sounds amazing!! Another epic TR? Sign me up!!

Whoa, I am BEHIND! I just finished up your last Disney day :( so I'll catch up on the rest but wanted to quote this now :thumbsup2

His name was Chad. I'm not sure what his silly WCC server name was. But to N and me, he will now forever be known as Flash, short for Flash, Flash, Hundred Yard Dash. His resemblance to the DMV sloth was uncanny.
We had chad last August for lunch! It was our first time back in a couple years and while he's nice, we were a bit disappointed because we saw the other servers totally whoopin' it up with their tables. He was definitely a bit......creepy lol. Trying his best I think; I actually wondered who hired him and why they thought WCC was a good fit :confused3 Luckily when we returned this past March we had Wendy, the blonde, who was fantastic!

that while our server was slow and wasn't particularly amusing, the other servers at tables around us were having A TIME!!

Ariel, put some clothes on!!
:laughing:

Say what you will, but I will never feel like I'm too old for character meets.
I try explaining this to people all-the-time. Love your story!

The Rainy Day Cavalcade!
And I love this little parade and the fact that they don't just shelve the whole parade thing in the rain! Glad you got to see it especially on your last day :goodvibes

I loved your report!!!
I think the bonus Epcot day was my favorite moment! You're sad because it is over and then you get to go back for just a little more fun. I love that. ❤️

Add me to the list of loving to live vicariously through your TR!! I think your solution to post-Disney depression is amazing - just go back! Ideally within 24 hours :) Looking forward to hearing highlights from yo9ur other trips down, the more the merrier :D

N saw my serious post-Disney blues and proposed another option: if we only had one more day left in Florida, why not make the short drive back and spend it here:

CYIUXFm.jpg

Awww, he knows just what you need! :lovestruc

ON OUR WAY BACK TO DISNEY!!

:banana:

It didn't even really matter what we were doing. It just felt so good to be there.

I so totally get this!

The silvery ones are apparently rare-ish? :confused3 Either way, the lady opening my oyster was ENTHUSED! I love how excited they always are doing their job. I liked my pearl quite a lot. It now sits in a rose gold Cinderella-carriage-shaped pearl cage necklace that I purchased from Etsy.

Fun!! I've done that once, and loved it a lot. Maybe someday I'll get a silvery one too!

We also stopped in Morocco and listened to the band play, which was quite enjoyable, and I only quietly lamented to N a couple of times about the sad loss of Mo'Rockin'.

A sad loss to EPCOT for sure. :sad1: I just recently watched their FINAL performance on YouTube and teared up just a little bit. They obviously loved their jobs very much and were genuinely sad to say good bye.

We decided to design the world's most obnoxious vehicle...

0lfIEAi.jpg

:rotfl2: Cool looking though!

I had school to prepare for, and N had work waiting for him at home.

Yep, gotta pay to play. :(

We drove for what felt like forever...basically because it was.

LOL!!! I know that feeling!

Oh, and I also like them overlooking the crystal-blue ocean.

9VCtHP3.jpg

That looks delicious and I'm sure it was even more so with that amazing view! So pretty!

And we appreciate you and all the time and care you have taken to share all of your wonderful memories with us. Thank you for a really top notch report!

but there are so many amazing things planned for our anniversary trip that it would almost have the potential to rival our Disneymoon, if it weren't for the pure fact that it was our Disneymoon, and nothing can compete with that. More on this soon. :hyper:

And I for one, can't wait!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter