I can’t remember, are the lines for the rides?

I just visited WDW and I had brought an umbrella, misting fans, and cooling towels from home. I didn't use any of it!
Was it hot sometimes in line? Yep...but it was worth it.

It's mind over matter. If I was in a hot long line for the Dr. it would have bothered me more. :teeth:

Going from hot outside temps to constant a/c rides.....made all the difference. JMO

I just visited WDW and I had brought an umbrella, misting fans, and cooling towels from home. I didn't use any of it!

It's mind over matter. If I was in a hot long line for the Dr. it would have bothered me more. :teeth:

Going from hot outside temps to constant a/c rides.....made all the difference. JMO
I think different people have different tolerances to temps. If your thirsty, you're already dehydrated, if your hot, it's only a couple of minutes before you over heat that could lead to heat stroke and other more serious issues. When you have paid so much for a vacation it's better to prevent, I have seen so many people just faint out of nowhere so I'll always bring my umbrella and prevent any situation

Many lines are inside.
If not inside then covered or at the very least shady.
You won't be waiting in the sun.
You will be walking throughout the parks in the sun and if you want to watch a parade you'll be in the sun.
Even in the shade its very hot.
Certainly no offense to you but if they can't handle the heat they should not have chosen to go in July.

I know July is hot, but my son chose the date according to his work schedule. We only get to see our Grandkids once during the holidays and then during the summer. Last year we all went to Disneyland in Feb, which was fantastic weather and the parks were empty because it was supposed to be a rainy week, but it turned out it wasn't!

My husband has an especially hard time with heat/sun. He used our umbrella a TON on our September 2016 and said it really made all the difference for him. Didn't need it at all last November, but we're going again this September, and he will be making good use of the umbrella again.

It's not mind over matter. Everyone is wired differently. Glad it's not an issue for you.

Along with early morning and late evening touring, strategic use of fastpasses, doing sit-down, air-conditioned attractions in the heat of the day, etc.

Bottom line is that, if you go to Disney World in July without a plan, you're going to be hot and miserable. If you go WITH a well-thought out plan, you will still be hot, but you can reduce the discomfort by a significant margin.

In other words, don't complain about being hot if you are doing Standby at Tomorrowland Speedway at 3 in the afternoon.

This made me giggle because last fall our trip to Disneyland fell during a week of record-breaking high temperatures (as in it was overly hot for California in summer, let along California in the fall)...and on our first afternoon we rolled up in Tomorrowland and promptly got in like for the Speedway at 3:00 or 4:00 in the afternoon. :rotfl: It was hot as heck, but no complaints--honestly, we both got a kick out of the fact that the car stalled out halfway through the ride from the heat and that there was a CM waiting at that specific part of the track because so many of the cars kept doing that. Funniest part of the day.

Edit: I should offer actual advice! Haha, oops. This was the first trip I'd been on where we got serious about afternoon breaks, and it made such a huge difference. With temperatures that high we just couldn't stick it out as park commandos, so when we tried we'd always burn out before evening and have to quit early and go back to the airbnb feeling awful. When we started leaving midday and coming back in the evening, though, it was just right--we got a chance to go cool off and lay down right when we were starting to feel overheated, skipped the hottest portion of the afternoon, and would go back as the temperatures were beginning to drop and were able to stick it out until closing as a result. Same number of park hours, but better quality of park hours all around.

I generally don't mind the heat, but here are some things I do to help.

First, wear wicking clothing, like quality work out clothes, no cotton. Most wicking clothing is made from polyester. Especially in the humidity, not only does it make you feel cooler, it is much more comfortable when you sweat.

I also take a sun hat (mine just looks like a ball cap), but again make sure it is a wicking fabric or has a lot of mesh. Sunglasses will also make a big difference in comfort level in the heat.

Don't get sunburned, sunburned skin doesn't sweat as well and makes you hotter.

DW and I take in a 3L CamelBak in our backpack. We completely fill it with ice at the hotel and it'll stay cold for around 8 hours. Having access to plenty of cold water helps a lot. You can also get free ice water at any quick service restaurant. Drink ice water instead of bottled when you can because it'll be colder.

If you want to use bottles instead of a CamelBak and have a freezer at the hotel, fill the bottle about 2/3 full and then prop it on its side in the freezer. This will create a block of ice on the side of the bottle, which will cool water much better than a block of ice on the bottom of the bottle. You should be able to refill the bottle a few times before the ice melts as long as it's not left in the sun. Also there are a lot of water fountains around.

Also hit up the air conditioned shows in the heat of the day and the LOs can cool off in the splash pad area in MK (I think there is one in EPCOT too).

This was the first trip I'd been on where we got serious about afternoon breaks, and it made such a huge difference.

We almost NEVER take an afternoon break. But sometimes you just have to when it's really hot out. It's a bigger advantage at DLR where the evenings are often much cooler, but also at WDW just to get out of the direct sun for a while and reset your internal thermostat.

It is funny, Disney claims that all of their ride queues are inside. But, truth be told, they are both.

I wear Coolibar clothes. And use a fan (without mist.) And I recently got a sun umbrella for my scooter. I will try it out around town a few times before our next trip, but maybe it will stop people from walking into me. It is bright pink and pretty noticeable.

Plus my DIL is worried about our 1 year old grandson in the heat, & the 2 yo, & 5 yo as well, in the heat, with sunburn, heat rash etc.
Are the waiting areas shaded by a cover at least?

3 weeks out & all of a sudden they are all worried.

For the little ones, I’m assuming you’ll likely have 1 or more strollers, and most have a decent sunguard but I’d definitely recommend buying a few clip on stroller fans. It’s amazing how hot it can get inside the strollers, it’s like a mini oven because the heat gets trapped and there is no breeze, usually my kids are super sweaty if they are in a stroller in the heat for more than 10minutes. The clip on fans work well also to place on a backpack strap for an adult or if anyone uses a baby carrier.
Definitely put on sunscreen for all kiddos(really everyone) first thing in the morning. Even if not standing in outdoor queues, you’ll get lots of sun walking around the parks.
Buy some frogtog style cooling towels, or just bring some light wash clothes that can be wet to cool anyone down. Splash areas are great too but then you have to pack change of clothes/socks.
Like everyone has said, having a strategy to minimize outdoor time in the hottest part of the day is key to avoiding exhaustion. Get to parks early, take midday break for naps when it is hottest is my recommendation; or at a minimum save the indoor shows/airconditioned rides like Philharmagic for the midday sunny times.

at the parks inside or outside? We will be there next month & DH says he’s not waiting in the sun, he really can’t stand the heat. I haven’t been to DW since 2004 & this is his first time.

Plus my DIL is worried about our 1 year old grandson in the heat, & the 2 yo, & 5 yo as well, in the heat, with sunburn, heat rash etc.
Are the waiting areas shaded by a cover at least?

3 weeks out & all of a sudden they are all worried.

They are right to be worried. Follow the advice given here. It is hotter than the face of the sun and intolerably HUMID. IMHO

I'm doing all these things I read here, thank you! I'll buy mister fans for everyone when we are there. I wonder if they will have them at the resort stores or just in the parks?

Most lines that are outside have at least some coverage especially the closer you get to the entrance. The one's I thought became unbearably hot were JC ( it's mostly covered but they really pack them in ) and Finding Nemo ( as most of the wait seemed to be outside . )

Great lines were HM ( they have water effects in parts of the lines so you could get splashed ), Splash Mountain ( lots of it is covered and then has some good tree coverage ), Pirates ( inside portion of the line is dark and very cool )

It varies. Some rides the line is almost all indoors. Others, almost all outdoor. And some are a blend of both. The outdoor have fans for what good that does. I would expect the line to be outside and when it is not, that is a bonus.

I always bring these plastic insulated water bottles (and am going to buy one for everyone in my group on the next trip). We fill them to the top with ice and water at the resort before heading out, and again in the afternoon break. I like to hydrate to the point where it's slightly inconvenient (lots of restroom stops), though I admit I'm better about that when traveling on my own. Substituting the occasional Gatorade/Powerade and a banana when stopping for meals also keeps the electrolytes and potassium in balance.

It's probably overkill, but the point is that you'll have less to fear with the heat if you stay more hydrated than you think you need to.

That and lots of sunblock, re-applied frequently. And a good pair of sunglasses. Facing the Florida sun and humidity? It can be fun if it's like putting on armor to go into battle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!