I can’t remember, are the lines for the rides?

I'd recommend drinking WAY more water than you think you need. It's so easy to get dehydrated and it can happen before you realize it. If you start veering toward heat exhaustion, it can make you feel pretty sick to your stomach and woozy. That happened to me on a trip in the Caribbean once, and I was surprised how awful I felt. I can really sneak up on you, and takes a while to recover from.

So drink lots and lots of water. As others have suggested, you can get free ice water at any counter service restaurant without even ordering food. The counter service restaurants will likely have cups of ice water already to go at the food pick up areas. You don't even have to wait in line!

My other tips include some of the things that other posters have already suggested. I wear a large-brimmed visor; use a battery operated fan; wear moisture wicking clothes;and go back to the hotel to rest, take a shower and change clothes. I haven't tried cooling towels yet, but in the past have brought a cotton bandana to wet down with ice water and wear around my neck. I also bring a washcloth from the hotel in a Ziploc bag, to wet down with cold water and wipe down my face and arms. Finally, I've found a great kind of wet wipes (I use Kleenex brand, they're not sticky) to wipe down my face and neck when I get sweaty.

Taking a umbrella for shade is a great idea! I was already planning to pack one for the afternoon rainstorms anyway.

Don't forget to reapply sunscreen, even if it says it's only a once a day application. You SWEAT in the heat and humidity and you may find yourself resembling a lobster. Been there, done that.

Hydration is key.

Pack a soft-sided cooler in your luggage. Purchase or get delivered a few cases of bottled water. Each day in the parks, fill the cooler with ice and bottles of water and stow it in the basket beneath your stroller.

I have taken other posters advice - since you get the free counter service ice water …. bought a bottle of the Mio Sport (has Electrolytes). Little squirt in each ice water … improve taste of tap water and help build fluids.

Hydrate or die is our motto when in WDW! If you get to hot several "rides" have ac and nice soft seat like Mickeys Philharmagic or the hall of presidents and are really nice for a 10 or 15 minute cool off.

Taking a umbrella for shade is a great idea! I was already planning to pack one for the afternoon rainstorms anyway.

Don't forget to reapply sunscreen, even if it says it's only a once a day application. You SWEAT in the heat and humidity and you may find yourself resembling a lobster. Been there, done that.
Yep, we have small, very collapsible umbrellas that fit nicely in DH's cargo short pocket that we use for Disney. Work great for both shade and rain (and lets us go bag free). Like you say, we carry them no matter what.

As for sunscreen, we find that we are in and out, mostly out, of the sun so much it's really not an issue when in the parks. DH puts it on since he's translucent pale, just on his face and neck. I already have it on my face as part of my make up routine. But the rest of the day we never need it. We are never out in the sun more than a few minutes at a time. We wear it when we are at the pool of course but in the parks, nah. Since our goal at the parks is to stay OUT of the sun we find that no problem. DH never gets burned. WDW did not do like DL. Most DL lines, especially in the original parts of the park, are outside. WDW realized that wasn't going to work so their lines are not. And since we never do stand by lines we are never standing out in the overflow areas

I think the in and out of the heat helps keep us from getting overheated and dehydrated too. I go against all the advice and rarely drink water walking around. With meals but that's it. I spend enough time in the bathroom as it is LOL But in all seriousness, just have never felt overheated or ill but as I said, we never spend lengthy periods of time in the sun during our summer trips. Too many places to cool off/duck in for shade to do that.

As someone who HATES heat and humidity (why I live in Colorado, lol!), I can empathize with the worry. Three of our Orlando trips in the last decade have been during the summer, and it is no joke. The only way we made it work was by taking long afternoon breaks at the hotel. Nap in the AC, swim in the pool, explore the resort, etc. We were never in the parks between about 2 and 6 pm.

Be thoroughly prepared with heat-fighting gear. Hats, sunscreen, cooling towels, water bottles (fill it with ice before you leave the hotel.) The free water from CS is nice, but not always convenient when someone is getting overheated. Always have some with you.

Plan your day so that you don't do multiple outdoor attractions in a row. Be at the park for RD (amEMH if possible), and plan as much park time in the evening once the sun goes down as you can. Afternoon naps will make the early morning / late night combo more achievable. If you really have to be in the park in the afternoons, make an ADR for a late lunch so you can have a long break in the AC.

I will admit that our summer trips often feel like a "battle" against the heat, but I've always enjoyed them nonetheless.

My wife likes to take a break when at Magic Kingdom by jumping on the monorail …. the Wave in contemporary is very cool and relaxing. If 4pm - Polynesian Trader Sams. also mizner's at grand Floridian.

So many people saying to hydrate- I just wanted to add on to that and suggest that you start working on hydration a few days before you leave. If you're well-hydrated to start, you'll be able to sweat and handle the heat a little better.

I would take the heat seriously but don't spend much time worrying about it. It's going to be fine, when your group gets hot you can duck into one of the many air-conditioned rides that aren't usually crowded, like Carousel of Progress or Philhamagic. Your meals will be air-conditioned, you can walk into air-conditioned stores, etc. I went with my 15 month old son last year and he was feeling the heat around 3pm at HS. We went into the air conditioned Star Wars store and the CM let me sit with him on an elevated sale display. We sat there for 15 mins and drank some water, he cooled down and perked right back up, and we went back out for more fun! Have a great trip, report back on how it goes please!

Has anyone taken soft instant ice packs that you can break & they get cold. Would they allow these in the parks? I got a couple boxes of them, thought they would be a good instant relief in the parks.

As for sunscreen, we find that we are in and out, mostly out, of the sun so much it's really not an issue when in the parks.
But the rest of the day we never need it. We are never out in the sun more than a few minutes at a time. We wear it when we are at the pool of course but in the parks, nah.

This is head-shakingly bad advice.

I find overloading with chemicals unnecessary. I know my skin. You know yours.
There are a lot of sunscreens without the chemicals, I just bought a spray & a cream with no chemicals so hopefully they work in the Florida sun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter