I Can! I Can Stink at 9am! A January TR - 3/8 New TR Link!

Leshaface

DIS Veteran
Hello and Welcome to my TR! :wave2: I decided that we needed to start 2015 off with a bang, so why not start it off at WDW. Makes perfect sense. Food, drinks, rides, more food and drink.

Here's a quick intro of our trip.

Who: DH, DM, DS and Me! (You’'ll actually have to read my TR to see what DS looks like :rotfl:)

Where: 1 Bedroom Villa at the Grand Floridian Villas

When: January 1-9, 2015

If you want to know more about all the details and how this trip came about, here’s my PTR. If you want to get to the good stuff, stick around and follow along!

This trip was pretty nuts. Here’'s some of what you can expect:

-Plenty of miscommunication. AKA Someone needs to get a hearing aid.
-Lots of Nose-picking selfies
-Good amounts of Snacks and Alcoholic drinks
-One sore loser
-A 4 Minute Haircut
-Brief Profanity on an attraction
-A massive amount of magical moments

I'll be making a Chapters list in the second post for those that want to skip around.

Let's get this TR started!

Last edited:
Thursday, January 1, 2015

In my younger years, NY's day was spent nurturing my liver back to health. So this was the first year ever, that I spent NYE packing, not having a drink and cleaning. But it was worth it because this was happening

Someone was happy to be going to Disney

Where’s your, “OMG we’re going to Disney face?!”

There it is.

This is the first trip we’ve taken where we wouldn’t have to be picking DH up from work, so it felt much more relaxed that morning at home, getting the car packed up. This was also our first trip, driving to LA and getting straight onto the plane, instead of staying the night at the airport and taking an early flight out the following morning. I was already loving how the trip was going.

We were actually out the door on time, 10am!

It’s only about a 2 ½ hour drive from our house to LAX, so we stopped once for food and made it to the airport in plenty of time. We decided to take franandaj’s advice and have DH drop us off at the ticketing counter, unload all the bags, get our bags checked in and then he would take the car and park it in long term parking. DM, DS and I ended up going through security ourselves and would wait for DH by the gate. Yeah, never doing that by myself again. It was ROUGH putting the carseat, stroller, my purse, his diaper bag, liquids and snacks through the belt. I went as fast as I could but with DS being mobile and wanting to run around after a long drive, it was hard to control him. AND I was pulled aside twice to be checked for the milk and food I was bringing on the plane. This was me at the end

We had about 45 minutes left once we got past security, so DM went to the bar (yep, still doing the drinking business before flying) and I went and walked around with DS for some exercise

I called DH to see where he was after about 15 minutes and he told me he was on the shuttle bus. I told him to hurry cause we had only 30 minutes until we were set to board. So I sat DS down for a snack

Ten minutes go by and I call again. He’s still on the shuttle. Uh alright. DS and I walked around again for more exercise walking all the way up to security hoping to meet up with DH and waited for a few minutes before turning back around to our gate. About 5 minutes till boarding, DH walks up finally! What happened I asked, why did it take so long? DH said he lied. He wasn’t on the shuttle, he had went past the entrance to Parking Lot C three times and didn’t want to tell me…BECAUSE I had told him to pay attention to where he was going since he has zero attention span. He had forgotten where he was going the first two times and the last time a bus was in his way so he missed it.

I decided to board first with the carseat so that I could get our area all set up and that would be less time on the plane for DS. It ended up working out perfectly and they were one of the last ones to board. I was a little nervous. Looking back, I really shouldn’t have been. I forgot that there really is never ‘quiet’ on a plane – with everyone talking, the engine, etc. I was more nervous for other people, wanting to make sure that he was never crying or overly loud. This was never a problem going to Florida or coming back.

And I was equipped with food, thanks to the tips from Dugette. I packed a gallon sized bag of snacks, lollipops, pouches and juice boxes. This kid loves all food so this worked out well.

He’s never had a lollipop before so that’s what I gave him as we were going up in case he was scared of the noise

He loved the noise and the movement of the plane!

We flew with Delta going to MCO, so we each had our own tv screens in front of us, which worked out well for about an hour. DS enjoyed watching it without sound but after a while got ansty so I gave him the ipad

And while he was watching his shows, I decided to read

DH gave me this book for Christmas – this was his favorite book to read when he was a kid and it was really cute and an easy read.

While I was reading, DH took up both the screens with sports and he was creepily content

DM, on the other hand was doing this a few times throughout the flight

It was around this time

when DS started getting a bit fussy…he hadn’t done his 'business' that day so I think he was trying.

We let him get out of the seat and visit DM for a bit and let him stand in the aisle to stretch his leg, when I looked and lots of little kids were doing the same thing. Probably not the safest, but geez, this was the best flight I had ever been on with that many little kids, I remember thinking. I didn’t hear any screaming or crying.

And then 20 minutes till we were about to land

this happened

Great. Would have been nicer had it happened a few hours earlier, but it never works out that way does it?

We let everyone get off the plane first so he could sleep a bit longer, since we weren’t in a rush to get anywhere.

Once off the plane, our bags were circling the belt to be picked up. Perfect! Bags secured, we headed over to the Hyatt located in the middle of the airport, but first a picture with Mickey!

We checked in and were given a ‘Pure’ Room – a hypoallergenic room, pretty far from the elevators but it was quiet. DH and I had stayed here back in 2011, a night before our first cruise and loved it! It was so nice to get off the plane and not have to rush to get on a bus. Even though it was 11 at night, we were hungry so once we got DM and DS settled into the room, we headed over to the restaurant for appetizers and a quick beer.

Sleep did not come for us until 2am. Yikers!

I'm in! NOt only because I love your intro and can't wait to see what's coming, but also because I saw a pug in the background of one of your pictures. I love pugs. I have a black one. I figure anyone who has a pug must be good people. :)

I am here! :goodvibes
Great start to your trip.
Isn't it just great NOT to have to be on a plane at the crack of dawn. And to be honest, I do not blame your DH for getting lost. We circled the airport a few times in 2000 when we were looking for the Hertz return. I was prepared to just park it "somewhere" and call them to pick it up. :rotfl2:

Sounds like an easy flight and I cannot believe Calvin sat still for all that time. :thumbsup2

Ah, staying at the Hyatt. We did that once and it was heaven to arrive and not have to queue for a rental. You really started off your vacation nicely.

Can't wait for more. (now going back to mark more tests. :sad2:)

Yay!! I'm in!! Can't wait to hear about your trip. It always surprising when children behave on the plane and such a pleasure. I know I was freaking out about how my two girls would do.

I'm looking forward to hearing all about your trip and especially what you thought of the VGF!

Can't wait to read more! Loving your great photos so far AND the fact that you're a fellow California girl!

Hi Alicia!! I'm delighted to finally follow along on one of your TR's. It always fascinates me when Cali folk make the journey east to visit the World when Disneyland is relatively close by. It just goes to show how truly great WDW really is (not that Disneyland isn't of course... I've been there and it is).

While it may not be the norm, I'll admit that I can't think of a better way to ring in the New Year than by travelling to Disney. :goodvibes

joining !!! looks like a good way to start a vacation... get the stressful part out of the way so you can enjoy your first day at wdw!!!:thumbsup2 .
your son is adorable !!

YAY! Joining in!! I'm already laughing at your intro and your travel day :rotfl2: can't wait to read more!! and I'm sooo jealous of your stay at the Grand Floridian!! Can't wait to see pictures!

I'm here!

Glad the flight went so well ... of course he falls asleep right before you arrive though

That's great to stay at the hotel right in the airport - must be so easy (we used Hilton points and stayed right down the road, which was fine, but in the airport I am sure is that much easier).

Excuse me, can I have some alcohol? And perhaps some alcohol to go with that alcohol? Thanks

BTW - I could so see myself doing the same thing DH did ... points to him for admitting that he lied though, right?

I’m here! Okay, so the first thing I notice is that you and DH have Up-themed shirts. AND that you got DH to wear a Disney shirt that doesn’t have a churro on it?! :eek: Nice! :thumbsup2

Whew, started the day at 100% phone power! :rotfl: And, yes, going to WDW is absolutely a good reason for a non-traditional NYE. ::yes::

Glad you made it through security in one piece. I know, it’s rough when you only have two hands and all that stuff and an excited little person to corral. But you did it, yay! :cool1: Always such a relief to get past that.

What is up with our DHs forgetting things/not paying attention?! :confused3 At least he made it in time, I guess.

I’m glad that DS was a good traveler and the flight went well! Yay for the snack bag – he looks like he’s enjoying that lollipop!

Cool that you had your own screens. We almost always fly Delta and seldom get screens. Heck, our First Class flight back home from Hawaii didn’t even have screens. :headache: They were a lifesaver on the way there, though. Glad DS enjoyed his and then the iPad (which was our lifesaver on the way home).

Haha, DH looks quite enthralled with his sports. :rotfl2:

And of course DS falls asleep right before landing. It’s like he was watching the flight time monitor too and trying to hold out, but didn’t quite make it.

Wow, late night, but I bet it was nice to stay right there at the airport.

Can’t wait for your WDW and GFV arrival! :yay:

Looking forward to hearing more about how you liked the Hyatt and of course the Polynesian Bungalows!

Love your TR title!! Looking forward to arrival day! :cool1:

Yay! I am in!

Your DS is just like mine - he does great on planes! He's older (5 almost 6 now) but even when he was your little man's age he was the same way. Our first trip to WDW he thought the plane was a ride and actually went "wheeeeeee" when we took off :rotfl:
And of course your DS fell asleep 20 minutes before landing - don't all kids do that? It's like they have a radar or something!

Your mom is already making me laugh - she sounds like my kinda gal! And I love that gif from Bridesmaids! "May I have a glass of alcohol please?" I like to say that at restaurants sometimes and the waiter or waitress just looks at me like I'm an idiot :sad2:

I can't wait to read more and see all your pics! You write awesome TR's! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter