I can't be the only on the dis money wise

tinkerbellandeeyor

DIS Veteran
Do you guys feel like your friends are richer then you are I was looking at next month menu for where the group is going 11 for dinner big portions I well give them that but 11-20 is what dh and I spend total when we go out and sometimes it even cheaper

ETA not judging those who spend that type of money just saying for dh and I it's next to impossible to do or it is on my end

Are you saying that you are used to paying only 11-20$ total for both your and your husband when you go out to eat? I live in a tourist area, and the only way that we could spend under $30 combined at dinner is if we shared one meal between us. Even the local diner has most meals in the $10 and up range even for sandwiches.

When we go to Disney we do tend to share (or eat kids meals at QS) most of the time because with all the walking, business and the heat/humidity we just aren't that hungry most of the time.

Are you saying that you are used to paying only 11-20$ total for both your and your husband when you go out to eat? I live in a tourist area, and the only way that we could spend under $30 combined at dinner is if we shared one meal between us. Even the local diner has most meals in the $10 and up range even for sandwiches.

When we go to Disney we do tend to share (or eat kids meals at QS) most of the time because with all the walking, business and the heat/humidity we just aren't that hungry most of the time.

Yeah but we don't live in a tourists area and no for those asking dh and I don't share meal or drinks unless you count the five guys fries

Honestly our trick is we go to pizza gallery on Mondays and we do steak and shake before 5

I guess it all just depends on where I go out to eat.

These examples are just paying for my own way and are not including a drink as I tend to drink water out because I'd rather not pay that much for a fountain drink.

My local burger dive I can get away with $7 for 2 small cheeseburgers and a fry and I bring a can of pop from home (Its a walk up and eat at picnic tables outside place so I'm not bringing outside drinks in).

A local casual sit down restaurant I can spend about $12 on a meal plus tip.

A casual chain sit down restaurant I'm looking at $15 plus tip.

A local nice restaurant is about $25 plus tip.

I will also add that I don't go to the nice restaurants all that often. And we tend to eat homemade food more nights than not especially in late summer/fall/winter and then it seems like spring and the first half of summer we are all out and about going different ways so we eat out more often.
We have a farm and its this time of year we start getting all kinds of veggies so we'll start eating home more.
Just picked a row of string beans yesterday and cooked them last night. I'm gonna make bean salad for a side with dinner tonight.

Last edited:

I don't really think it's about how much money you have, but how you prioritize what you spend. I don't eat out or get takeout a lot because it is painful for me to part with money I feel is better spent. I rather spend my discretionary money on improving my house and going on vacations. I have a friend who makes about 30% more than I do and he was always crying how broke he is and that he was so sick of paying rent and not being able to buy a house. This is a person who spends lots of money on concerts, hunting/fishing, eating out and going to the bar. There's nothing wrong with this, he seems to live a very fulfilling life with hobbies and social outings, but if he wants that house, he's going to need to change his priorities.

I guess it all just depends on where I go out to eat.

These examples are just paying for my own way and are not including a drink as I tend to drink water out because I'd rather not pay that much for a fountain drink.

My local burger dive I can get away with $7 for 2 small cheeseburgers and a fry and I bring a can of pop from home (Its a walk up and eat at picnic tables outside place so I'm not bringing outside drinks in).

A local casual sit down restaurant I can spend about $12 on a meal plus tip.

A casual chain sit down restaurant I'm looking at $15 plus tip.

A local nice restaurant is about $25 plus tip.

I will also add that I don't go to the nice restaurants all that often. And we tend to eat homemade food more nights than not especially in late summer/fall/winter and then it seems like spring and the first half of summer we are all out and about going different ways so we eat out more often.
We have a farm and its this time of year we start getting all kinds of veggies so we'll start eating home more.
Just picked a row of string beans yesterday and cooked them last night. I'm gonna make bean salad for a side with dinner tonight.

I love the point you made about the different types of restaurants, and I guess it would not be so bad if I did not have to add lyft or uber I might consider it but if I did the math it's 33 dollars

Plus it's a work night true I don't have to be there till nine this year but starting at 7 yes I am the only non mom in the group so I don't have kids to feed first and I get everyone gets off at different times

I don't really think it's about how much money you have, but how you prioritize what you spend. I don't eat out or get takeout a lot because it is painful for me to part with money I feel is better spent. I rather spend my discretionary money on improving my house and going on vacations. I have a friend who makes about 30% more than I do and he was always crying how broke he is and that he was so sick of paying rent and not being able to buy a house. This is a person who spends lots of money on concerts, hunting/fishing, eating out and going to the bar. There's nothing wrong with this, he seems to live a very fulfilling life with hobbies and social outings, but if he wants that house, he's going to need to change his priorities.

That does not surprise me most of my money if not all goes to streaming services and books I like to be alone for the most part I have friends here and there but I value my space

My husband and I spend $20-$40 which includes tax and tip on average (sometimes more sometimes less) when we eat out. We know people who like to spend more but as a whole we're not up for that. The most we have ever spent for both of us in the nearly 10years of being together was just over $100 at a Brazilian Steakhouse.

My meals out vary wildly. You should just eat, and do, what makes you happy Tink and don't worry about the rest of it:)

My husband and I spend $20-$40 which includes tax and tip on average (sometimes more sometimes less) when we eat out. We know people who like to spend more but as a whole we're not up for that. The most we have ever spent for both of us in the nearly 10years of being together was just over $100 at a Brazilian Steakhouse.

The only time we splurge is with gift cards

I told my dh jokingly that when relatives start asking what we want for Christmas we should say Disney gift cards
I didn't ask for them but my father-in-law knew we were going to Disney (we've been planning for 2 years at this point) so for Christmas he gave me a gift card and for my birthday he gave me a gift card and his gf gave me a gift card.

I then converted target gift cards for Disney gift cards last September.

I'm calling it our souvenir $ :)

I didn't ask for them but my father-in-law knew we were going to Disney (we've been planning for 2 years at this point) so for Christmas he gave me a gift card and for my birthday he gave me a gift card and his gf gave me a gift card.

I then converted target gift cards for Disney gift cards last September.

I'm calling it our souvenir $ :)

I find it funny that we are 45 min away from the mouse and I have not seen a Disney gift card

Food seems so crazy in going out any more. We were treating our selves at the dairy queen. And I wanted something halfway decent besides a burger. It was the oven turkey blt and the whole meal was almost 10 bucks. So I guess when we go out it will be when it is worth while in spending some. We do some traveling , I would rather make our lunch and get what we want. Tink don't worry about what anyone thinks of what you spend. It is your income and you know what you can afford. I don't have a problem letting people know what I can and can not afford.

You might look at Walmart for Disney gift cards, ours has them. Probably Target too, but the closest one to me is an hour away and we don't go there often.

There have been times in my life that I felt that "everyone" had more than we did, but sometimes people are just at different places in their lives. Also, I think people differ greatly in how they choose to spend their money, so while one person/couple might have a huge, fancy house, maybe another person has a "better" car, or whatever. Different things are more important to different people.

We only go out to eat 3 or 4 times a year, and we don't do fast food much more than that, usually when DS has an away game that runs too late or is too far away to get home at a decent hour. It just isn't something we want to do that often, as my husband loves to cook, and he is very good at it.

Do you guys feel like your friends are richer then you are I was looking at next month menu for where the group is going 11 for dinner big portions I well give them that but 11-20 is what dh and I spend total when we go out and sometimes it even cheaper

ETA not judging those who spend that type of money just saying for dh and I it's next to impossible to do or it is on my end

I totally understand where you are coming from. Different priorities. Literally in a 3 day period we had dinner for 2 at Denny's on a Saturday night for just under $20, and on Monday we celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary at Le Cellier Steakhouse at Epcot and the tab came to $235.My DIL is a huge fan of the trendy neighborhood cafeteria style restaurants. The food is great, the portions on the small side, and most items run $15+. I'd rather eat out twice at a less expensive place, and then splurge once in a while.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!