I can't be the only on the dis money wise

I eat out a lot too. Mostly with my 2 daughters or my sisters. Usually anywhere betweed $12--$20 but anything in the $20 range has to be special. I tend to waste more food when I try to buy groceries for just me. I usually don't eat a whole lot at home just real simple meals like maybe cereal for dinner, home made salads or a sandwich to take for lunch so I splurge a little when I go out. Sometimes if the grandkids go out with us, I'll pay for one or two of them to take a bit of expense off their parents.

This thread really reminds me of that episode of Friends!

Generally we're lucky to have friends that are all on an equal footing so we tend to have the same budget for things. I did have friends in a couple who would often decide at the last minute they couldn't afford to do what we had planned... but who would spend a fortune on something else the next day...

We'd probably have more money if we didn't spend so much at wdw :)

We rarely go out to eat "just because"--we're a family of 6, it costs $100 just to say hello at most places. We rarely even get takeout or pizza. Now, we do eat out when we travel, but even on most vacations, my kids prefer to have Mom-cooked meals in a condo versus sitting in a restaurant. Some vacation for me! It was kind of funny, I was in Italy with my DDs in June, and DD14--even in ITALY, for Pete's sake! preferred simple takeout type meals instead of fancy sit-down restaurants. We ended up having a lot of panini and pizza.

Although I don't do these things just because of the money aspect, it's a nice bonus (I'm pretty cheap generally). I think everyone has their own comfort level--some people like to try fancy restaurants and consider it entertainment that they build in to their budgets. If it works for them, I'm good. But, it's not how I would spend my $$$. OTOH, on that same trip to Italy, I dropped over $1k on Venetian glass because I love it--besides, when am I ever going to get back to Venice? So for me, eating street food kind of compensates for my other expensive tastes.

Perhaps it would help if we knew where you were going top eat. Not all restaurants post a dessert menu online. Or it might be very simple such as milkshakes.

Similar to other posters, when money has been tight and DH and I have gone out for a meal with friends or coworkers we eat a bite at home first and then order something small at the restaurant. Small could be a drink and side salad or an
appetizer.

The red ginger it's a Chinese restaurant

Dairy Queen to me is expensive. But...there is one very close to me and I try to only go when I get a craving. Love their double cheese burgers (twice last week) and an occasional peanut buster parfait which is like $5 :(
They went up in price from the first time I had one. You and I are alike I love the Peanut buster parfait. You can get ice cream on sale for a lot less at the store.....:sad2: Can't enjoy something anymore without it costing an arm and a leg. Oh and the drink does not come with the meal either.

I came here because the morbid part piqued my interest... I was sorely disappointed!

Wait, that probably doesn't sound very good! lol

Don't worry about it as I said previously I am just double checking I have every skill that all 32 year olds have I have always been behind my peers sorry to disappoint

So the two posters who complained about my warning you think it's normal for me to plan my life after my parents death

Nobody complained it was morbid. Was curious what made it morbid since I didn't see anything close to it. Morbid would be talking about seeing a dead body on the beach or something. Planning your life after your parents pass is certainly not morbid, but smart thinking. Of course I would think getting your life in order prior to them passing would probably put your parents more at ease.

I'm 45 and I have no clue about Uber / Lyft, I have also never taken a traditional cab either.
I assume yo uare able to drive though?

I believe the OP does not drive----a fair number of adults don't, but if you don't you have to work at gaining other skills (like using Uber and biking and taking busses) to compensate for that. I think Tink is smart to make sure she can get herself where she needs to be without parental help long before she HAS to do so (and that it is not morbid at all--just mature thinking)

Thanks everyone for your help I just want to practice using lyft and uber while my parents are still here to help and this is the perfect opportunity

So, count me in as another person who doesn't think you're being at all morbid. You're just being proactive and planning for the future.

Also, I'm over forty and I have never used lyft or uber. I don't even drive (bad eyes)! I managed to get into my 30's without a credit card. In fact, I found myself at nearly 40, learning to pay for my own meal in a restaurant for the very first time. Somehow, I'd never had to pay for myself for nearly four decades of life... I mean, I'd sometimes offer to chip in, if it was appropriate, but someone else always took care of the actual act of paying for our food. So, it was a little surprising to me to find myself paying for my own food, and realize I was actually doing it for the very first time. Coincidentally, that was during my very first trip overseas, and my very first time being responsible for navigating busses and planes and subways by myself.

I have other useful skills, though, so I don't consider myself to be "behind" my peers. People's lives take different shapes, and not everyone learns how to do all the same things, at the same time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter