I can't be the only on the dis money wise

So, count me in as another person who doesn't think you're being at all morbid. You're just being proactive and planning for the future.

Also, I'm over forty and I have never used lyft or uber. I don't even drive (bad eyes)! I managed to get into my 30's without a credit card. In fact, I found myself at nearly 40, learning to pay for my own meal in a restaurant for the very first time. Somehow, I'd never had to pay for myself for nearly four decades of life... I mean, I'd sometimes offer to chip in, if it was appropriate, but someone else always took care of the actual act of paying for our food. So, it was a little surprising to me to find myself paying for my own food, and realize I was actually doing it for the very first time. Coincidentally, that was during my very first trip overseas, and my very first time being responsible for navigating busses and planes and subways by myself.

I have other useful skills, though, so I don't consider myself to be "behind" my peers. People's lives take different shapes, and not everyone learns how to do all the same things, at the same time.

How do you get from point A to B

Btw I hope you guys are not disappointed in me I won't be taking lyft next week I am catching a ride with a friend next week, but I have plenty of time to practice

Tink,

I am not dissapointed in you. Arranging a ride with a willing friend is a perfectly reasonable way to get places. Amd car pooling is better for the enviornment.

Tinkerbellandeeyor just wondering why you think this thread turning morbid?
She already explained---it's becuase she is actively working on building skills to not have to rely on her parents' help so that when they eventually passs she'll be self sufficient.

How do you get from point A to B

Well... whenever I find myself in an unfamiliar situation, having to try something new, this is what I do...

1. Think about it. Consider the likely steps I'll have to take. Run through a few "what if" scenarios in my head. (For example: "What if I miss my connection and end up stranded in a foreign country? Who do I talk to? Who will help me?") I like making itineraries, checklists and having emergency contacts on hand.

2. Research it. I either google it (you'd be surprised how helpful Google can be!), or I ask questions of people I know. ("So, funny thing, but I've never actually paid for my own meal. How does that card machine work? Does it give you an option for tipping? How do you know how much to tip?") I'm careful whom I ask because if I ask some people, they will very kindly jump in and do it for me, and that's not helpful. On the other hand, if I'm feeling lazy and disinclined to tackle this particular challenge, these are exactly the people I ask. ;)

3. Experience a certain level of high anxiety beforehand. But let it wash over and accept that in the worst case I'll just end up looking like a fool, and embarrassment's never killed anyone. Not for real, it hasn't.

4. Then just do it. And realize it wasn't that big a deal after all. And go around for several days after all puffed up and feeling like I'm on top of the world because I did it! And I survived! And I'm awesome!

Even silly little small successes, are still successes, no matter how old you are.

:)

Yes I consider it tables service inexpensive table service that's why we eat there a lot but Dh and I live it

Yep! If a waiter or waitress brings my food to the table, I consider it a table service restaurant, regardless of what they're serving.

If I have to go up to the counter to order and pick up my food, I consider it fast food.

It's not the food or price that makes it fast food or table service, it's how it's served. I can get expensive sushi at a fast food counter, or cheap burgers at a table service restaurant.

That said, our local McDonald's is confusing matters a bit by having you order at the counter (or a kiosk), and then they bring your food out to your table. I still consider it fast food though, because you have to order either at the counter or kiosk. There's no waiter, just a kid running food out to tables.

Yeah but uber and lyft takes the
Place of dh and I driving
I understand that was just saying that it is not necessarily a skill all 32 (or older) have. It does seem like a skill you need since you don't drive.

I assume yo uare able to drive though?
Yes and also live in a small town with one Uber and no Lyft. And it is only in the past 10 years we've had any type of taxi service. it was such a big deal when we got an Uber driver there was a front page article in our local newspaper.

Once agin a dis poster made it clear I did not make myself clear and I am trying my best and I fell flat on my face

Even now I am lost how I could have made myself more clear

Well... whenever I find myself in an unfamiliar situation, having to try something new, this is what I do...

1. Think about it. Consider the likely steps I'll have to take. Run through a few "what if" scenarios in my head. (For example: "What if I miss my connection and end up stranded in a foreign country? Who do I talk to? Who will help me?") I like making itineraries, checklists and having emergency contacts on hand.

2. Research it. I either google it (you'd be surprised how helpful Google can be!), or I ask questions of people I know. ("So, funny thing, but I've never actually paid for my own meal. How does that card machine work? Does it give you an option for tipping? How do you know how much to tip?") I'm careful whom I ask because if I ask some people, they will very kindly jump in and do it for me, and that's not helpful. On the other hand, if I'm feeling lazy and disinclined to tackle this particular challenge, these are exactly the people I ask. ;)

:)

About 5-6 years ago I found myself having to go to a Catholic church service for the first time in my life and probably 20 years since I'd been in a church, excluding maybe once for a wedding, I was youtubing and researching the crap out of it. I totally did it without doing 1 inappropriate thing! So much anxiety though...If you know to expect, you'll do fine with anything!

Tink - you've got the internet, so you'll have the answers you need. Believe in yourself!

Once agin a dis poster made it clear I did not make myself clear and I am trying my best and I fell flat on my face

Even now I am lost how I could have made myself more clear

I understand exactly what you are saying. Sometimes, threads sort of take on a life of their own, or they seem to go in different tangents and digress.

Since you do not drive, you want to develop some navigating skills before your parents are not around, or able to assist. You are making a mature decision. If you have friends to help out, that is wonderful, too. No disappointment on my end and am sure most others agree.

Also, Tink, you are no different than many others at times.....sometimes what is in our head, typing it on a message board, in an email, or elsewhere, gets misconstrued by others. We know what we want to say but it doesn't come out the way we mean it, or something. Sometimes, we dont want to write a whole narrative to ask a question, so we shorten it. Then that leads to questions.

You are doing fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts