• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I Could really use your HELP- NEED INFO FOR STRESSED MOM- BROTHER HAS CP

DonaldsGrl103

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone this is my first time coming to this forum as I have been hesitant since all my life this has been a touchy subject. My brother has severe cebral palsy and since our last trip with him back in 1999 he has aquired a feeding tube, so my mom is really hesitant and very persistant that she is too scared to do this. We would LOVE especially me to go to disney with my brother but has some concerns as to where will we change him? IS first aid a good private place and is open the whole time the park is? Will they store his formula until we need to feed him? Will they charge him at character meals even though he cant eat? Also how will we be able to bathe him? At home we have a special chair? Will we need to mail it down( if thats even possible?) or do they have some special accomodations. He cant speak or walk so he is totally dependent upon us but loves music and is joy to be with. I would appreciate anyones help and kindness in this matter as I might show it to my mom to ease her fears. We will stay on the monorial line defiantly for quick access back to the room. THANKS and hopefully we can convince my mom that my brother wont be in any danger and that they both will have a great time

I can answer a few of your questions.

Disney has accessible rooms- they vary by what you need. they have the hand held shower with the whole bathroom tiled for shower, just a curtain seperates the toilet.

as far as special equipment. disney does not have it. if you look at one of the posts that has ECV or wheelchair in the title, you can get the websites and phone #'s of the equipment rental places. I believe I saw bath items on a few.

First aid station- I have read on other posts that they will store stuff for you (medical reasons i guess) I have never used the first aid station, don't know the hours of it. You might be able to go to disney's website and see if they have the guide for disabilities that you can read.
also look at deb's site www.allearsnet.com you might be able to find more info about rooms.

character meals- I have also read that they might charge you an "entertainment fee" but I don't think it is full price since he can not eat.

Be sure to read some of the posts on the GAC- that is the Guest assistance Card- if you were considering taking him on any rides- you can inquire about these at guest services at any park.

hope I answered some of your questions-

We will be going in Dec. with in-laws. DD(9) is now going to be going back into the hospital for another procedure- trying to figure out what is happening with her- more tests.:crazy:

Welcome to disABILITIES. It's midnight, so I can't type much, but just wnated to answer a little.
Originally posted by DonaldsGrl103
We would LOVE especially me to go to disney with my brother but has some concerns as to where will we change him? IS first aid a good private place and is open the whole time the park is?

If he's not very long, some of the Companion Restrooms have changing tables. First Aid is the best though. They have cubicles with cots (curtain to pull closed for privacy) or you can use an exam room with an exam table and a door. First Aid is open whenever the park is. The CMs there are very nice and very professional.
Will they store his formula until we need to feed him?
Yes. And you can use one of the cubicles to feed him
Will they charge him at character meals even though he cant eat?
They might charge an entertainment fee that is less than the full price or might not charge you at all for him. Even though my DD is an adult, we usually are just charged the child rate for her when the waiter sees she doesn't eat much.
Also how will we be able to bathe him? At home we have a special chair? Will we need to mail it down( if thats even possible?) or do they have some special accomodations.
You can ship things down to the resort (like a case of diapers or special equipment). If his bath chair is a common type, you can probably rent one for delivery to the resort. They do have fully wheelchair accessible rooms with roll in showers. You can get more info about that from:
WDW Resort Special Reservations:
(407) 939-7807
(407) 939-7670 [TTY]

Here's a link to the official WDW info page for Guests with Disabilities. For some reason, the link opens in the middle of the page, scroll up and you will find links to info about attractions at each of the parks. Look around there a little and then ask as many questions here as you would like. You will find lots of people willing to help.

I see Anne answered in between when I started typing and got posted; here's a little more info.
The WDW Special Reservations number can also help arrange equipment rentals - they don't have it, but will work with companies to rent what you need.
These places that rent ecvs and wheelchairs are full service medical equipment providers:
Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/
Phone (407) 856-2273 • Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html
(800)747-0246

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone and are glad their is ways to accomodate my brother!! I appreciate again everyones kindness!!

I just wanted to say that if you decide to go, I hope you have a magical time!

We have found WDW to be VERY accomodating for special needs!
:wave2:

Just a quick hello and to say that my brother too has CP and is severely handicapped. While he doesn't have a feeding tube, he cannot chew and so everything has to be mushed up for him. He's been to WDW about a dozen times and he absolutely loves it! We always go as a big family so there's lots of people around to help. We change him in either first aid or the baby care centers for privacy (he's 30 and full grown and the bathrooms are too hard for us to manage), and he is usually charged the childs price at anything since he doesn't eat much either. He loves the characters and the CM's will usually make sure the character makes the most of him (since he can't thrust himself at them the way most little kids do), and he gets so excited! He stays in his wheelchair for some of the rides and my other brother and husband do any lifting necessary to get him on other rides. Even my sons try to help and look forward to when they get big and can help their uncle when we go to WDW! With a little planning and awareness of what procedures are in place to make your trip special it will be a wonderful trip! Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter