I did not enjoy Smugglers Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelkfla

DIS Veteran
OK, the queue was awesome.

The ride itself, as a simulator, didn't seem any better than Star Tours.

My main problem was I didn't know what was going on most of the time. (I was in the gunner position.)

After we were strapped in, the cm said "Push any flashing button." It seemed like my button was flashing constantly. Was I supposed to keep pushing it? I couldn't see any connection between pushing my buttons and what was happening on screen. I know that on MS the buttons don't really affect the ride or video, but at least they're synchronized with the action.

Half the time I couldn't hear or understand what the boss was saying, because of the noise and the heavy accent they gave him.

What really bugged me was that the buttons were on the sidewall. I didn't know when to look out the front window, and when to turn my head to look at the buttons. I wish they had put the buttons and the small screen in front of my face.

At the end it gave some kind of score -- compared to what? I had no idea whether it was a good or a bad score, and whether I had done what I was supposed to or not. It talked about Tie Fighters shot. What Tie Fighters? I didn't see any Tie Fighters!

As I said, I had no idea what the story was. I mean, I knew beforehand that we were supposed to be gathering something and bringing it back. But on the ride, it just seemed like a bunch of disconnected scenes and events.

Sorry, but it just didn't thrill me or make me feel involved. Maybe it's because I'm not a video gamer, and my brain isn't conditioned for it. (I'm 66 yo, btw.)

TZTOT is still my fave, followed closely by FOP, and then Splash.

Don't be sorry. Some love these type of rides, some hate them and some are in the meh-middle. There is no right opinion on a ride. If it's not for you, you have nothing to be sorry about.
And there are many more people with this experience who get too distracted by pushing the buttons to see what else is going on.

I know I'm not going to like it, I don't need interactive rides, and will only try Smugglers Run when there is a short line.

I had no idea what the story was.... it just seemed like a bunch of disconnected scenes and events.

This is also how I describe Rivers of Light. This makes me wonder if some of the same people designed both attractions.

OK, the queue was awesome.

The ride itself, as a simulator, didn't seem any better than Star Tours.

My main problem was I didn't know what was going on most of the time. (I was in the gunner position.)

After we were strapped in, the cm said "Push any flashing button." It seemed like my button was flashing constantly. Was I supposed to keep pushing it? I couldn't see any connection between pushing my buttons and what was happening on screen. I know that on MS the buttons don't really affect the ride or video, but at least they're synchronized with the action.

Half the time I couldn't hear or understand what the boss was saying, because of the noise and the heavy accent they gave him.

What really bugged me was that the buttons were on the sidewall. I didn't know when to look out the front window, and when to turn my head to look at the buttons. I wish they had put the buttons and the small screen in front of my face.

At the end it gave some kind of score -- compared to what? I had no idea whether it was a good or a bad score, and whether I had done what I was supposed to or not. It talked about Tie Fighters shot. What Tie Fighters? I didn't see any Tie Fighters!

As I said, I had no idea what the story was. I mean, I knew beforehand that we were supposed to be gathering something and bringing it back. But on the ride, it just seemed like a bunch of disconnected scenes and events.

Sorry, but it just didn't thrill me or make me feel involved. Maybe it's because I'm not a video gamer, and my brain isn't conditioned for it. (I'm 66 yo, btw.)

TZTOT is still my fave, followed closely by FOP, and then Splash.

I feel similar to you. I don’t want a job to do on a ride. I just like to sit back and enjoy, so this type of ride is really not for me. I will try it again in the future though. Maybe it will grow on me.

You can continue this discussion on the "share your experience" thread, closing this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter