I don’t get the fascination with the wave !!!

I don’t understand the attraction to the Wave in the Contemporary.
I listen to the Dis Unplugged bunch drool over this place.
I also read these boards and saw the rave reviews before my wife and I decided to try it last year. NEVER again. Okay the food was okay but I found nothing special.

What turned us off was the lack of atmosphere. When we go to Disney we want to be immersed in everything Disney. We went one morning last December. It sta out okay when we walked into the reception area and we saw a Christmas tree. So far so good.

We then walked into the dining area and were promptly seated by a nice young lady.

The atmosphere was terrible. Not only does it not have windows but it didn’t have one Christmas decoration anywhere AND not one thing on any of the walls to indicate we were in Disney. The room was just blah and disappointing. We mentioned it to the waitress and she looked around and said ” oh I never noticed “. I know it may be minor to some but we like to
eat In places that remind of where we are.

Like I said we were so disappointed that I cannot recall what we had. It was good but not
memorable. Just my rant. We all have our favorites.

Thank you

I don’t understand the mentioning of it to the waitress, she has no say in the decorations and probably doesn’t care lol

I also read these boards and saw the rave reviews before my wife and I decided to try it last year. NEVER again. Okay the food was okay but I found nothing special.

What turned us off was the lack of atmosphere. When we go to Disney we want to be immersed in everything Disney. We went one morning last December. It sta out okay when we walked into the reception area and we saw a Christmas tree. So far so good.

We then walked into the dining area and were promptly seated by a nice young lady.

The atmosphere was terrible. Not only does it not have windows but it didn’t have one Christmas decoration anywhere AND not one thing on any of the walls to indicate we were in Disney. The room was just blah and disappointing. We mentioned it to the waitress and she looked around and said ” oh I never noticed “. I know it may be minor to some but we like to

Like I said we were so disappointed that I cannot recall what we had. It was good but not

Thank you
We went to the Wave for breakfast, then went for a dinner. We were not impressed with the dinner at all - our steaks were definitely nothing to write home about.

But, we go for the breakfast buffet every trip - can't say enough good about it - our favorite breakfast restaurant at Disney. Our next favorite is Trails End - two different types completely, but very good none the less -

I've had nothing but good experiences there. I've never done breakfast but have done lunch/dinner 3 or 4 times. It isn't overly themed but they had very good, healthy options with a lot of locally sourced food which is important to me.

If you are looking for Disney in your face it won't be your favorite but as much as I like Disney it is nice to have a meal or two in a subdued place on occasion.

Often times changes are made from guest comments. No big deal and Not a fuss made. Just regular conversation.

That’s reasonable. I just remember my days serving and people would complain to me about things I had no control over, I think my eyes literally stuck from rolling so much. Didn’t mean to assume anything :)

We enjoy the wave because it's quiet and relaxed without a lot of theming. It's walking distance or a quick monorail ride from MK Soo it's a great respite from the park for a good meal that is no more than most table service is in the park. We also love the bacon and eggs appetizer. 😁. There are lots of choices for people though and not everyone has to like the same thing.

That’s reasonable. I just remember my days serving and people would complain to me about things I had no control over, I think my eyes literally stuck from rolling so much. Didn’t mean to assume anything :)
Seen that many times. The servers get no respect half the time. People have this sense of entitlement. Would like to slap some people. Be respectful to servers and tip them well. Most do a great job. Always a couple of klinkers but most are great.

But think of the Bacon and Eggs. 🙄

I do....all the time...

giphy.gif

We've enjoyed the Wave several times. Had Breakfast, Lunch and Diner there and wasn't disappointed. Always felt it was a solid, unpretentious dining spot.

Thank you

YES TO THIS!!! After listening to Pete rave about The Wave, we’ve been for both breakfast & dinner. Both were awful!!! For breakfast we did the buffet & I have to say it was probably the worst buffet we’ve ever had at Disney. NEVER AGAIN. Service was good. The food was awful.

Our dinner experience wasn’t really any better. We didn’t eat at any strange time - 6pm. It was busy, but there were tables available. Our server was horrible. It was like once he knew we had Tables in Wonderland - he didn’t work for a tip anymore. We never got drink refills, we had to flag him down to have him take our order, our food came out after other tables that were seated after us & were larger parties than us (we’re a party of 5). Food was just ok. We had the bacon & eggs appetizer that Pete loves & it was good - but not good enough for me to dream about. Our entrees were just ok & we didn’t have dessert bc we just wanted to leave. We asked if the kitchen was behind because it took almost 45 mins just to get our entrees - this was after we had eaten our appetizer already! It’s almost like our server forgot to put our entree order in & didn’t tell us.

He never apologized, he said the kitchen wasn’t behind. We left & literally no one else was left in the restaurant! Uhh! I’m sorry! Took too long!Food was just ok & service was horrible! We tried twice! Sorry - not gonna go back.

YES TO THIS!!! After listening to Pete rave about The Wave, we’ve been for both breakfast & dinner. Both were awful!!! For breakfast we did the buffet & I have to say it was probably the worst buffet we’ve ever had at Disney. NEVER AGAIN. Service was good. The food was awful.

Our dinner experience wasn’t really any better. We didn’t eat at any strange time - 6pm. It was busy, but there were tables available. Our server was horrible. It was like once he knew we had Tables in Wonderland - he didn’t work for a tip anymore. We never got drink refills, we had to flag him down to have him take our order, our food came out after other tables that were seated after us & were larger parties than us (we’re a party of 5). Food was just ok. We had the bacon & eggs appetizer that Pete loves & it was good - but not good enough for me to dream about. Our entrees were just ok & we didn’t have dessert bc we just wanted to leave. We asked if the kitchen was behind because it took almost 45 mins just to get our entrees - this was after we had eaten our appetizer already! It’s almost like our server forgot to put our entree order in & didn’t tell us.

He never apologized, he said the kitchen wasn’t behind. We left & literally no one else was left in the restaurant! Uhh! I’m sorry! Took too long!Food was just ok & service was horrible! We tried twice! Sorry - not gonna go back.
Wow - sounds like a "not so great" experience, for sure. Sorry this happened to you!

I've only been once, but enjoyed my lunch. The food was good, and the quiet can be nice if you need a break in a busy park day.

Agree with OP. I was there during my last trip based upon the gang drooling over it. I was not at all impressed. Food was average at best. Decor felt like I was in a typical convention hotel restaurant. Will not go back.

This is why dining reviews are so subjective. Everyone's palates are different, everyone's family make-up is different, everyone wants something different out of their Disney vacation. OP might want it to scream Disney, while others might use meals as a break from everything Disney. IMO, you're not getting anything from Restaurant: Impossible at WDW so everything is worth a try at least once, no matter what you've heard about it!

Last edited:
I ate lunch and dinner there on my last trip. It was fine. Not particularly memorable. I had the "famous" bacon and eggs and it was....also fine. It was not the best pork belly I've ever had and the "perfectly poached" egg was no different than any other poached egg, although it seemed significantly smaller than a normal egg. We actually had to add salt to the grits because they didn't taste like anything. Lunch was nothing special. I had a french dip sandwich that was about 50% fat and gristle, so that wasn't very impressive. The fries were good, though.

The Wave does have good food, despite the early 90s vibe the restaurant gives off in atmosphere. However, my family and I will definitely not be back anytime soon after a horrible experience with a server there last year. I wrote about it on disboards, but I’m pretty sure it was deleted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!