• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I don't get it?

guppy1013

Mouseketeer
Why are the Disney resorts that aren't DVC so many points? Why would you want to stay there? Keep trying to come up with a situation that this would be beneficial...we are resale so couldn't anyway...but why would you?? Help me understand.

my guesses:

Why are the Disney resorts that aren't DVC so many points?

because the disney hotels division won't accept points as payment. so DVC has to rent out the pts as cash reservations on the DVC side. this is not an efficient process (some of the pts go to waste as renters are not found), so they need a lot of extra pts from a DVC owner in order to trade out for POFQ or whatever.

Why would you want to stay there? Keep trying to come up with a situation that this would be beneficial...we are resale so couldn't anyway...but why would you??

some people just want to try different resorts. the only time IMO that it might be beneficial is if someone had booked a cruise on pts and had to cancel. the pts that are returned to them are reservation pts (not valid for booking DVC resorts) and would need to be used for the disney collection...so you'd have to book art of animation or yacht club at ridiculous rates in order to keep the pts from going to waste completely.

I would do it at Disneyland if I really couldn't get into VGC. Yes I know I could book a cash stay and save my points but we travel from the UK and I need to use my points once every two years so if I couldn't book the DVC I'd want to still use my points.

I. might also do it later in life when it is just the two of us as when we go from 2 bedrooms to 1 bedrooms and move from August to September we will be points rich. If there was somewhere we really really fancied staying and we had the points I might be happy with just a hotel room for the two of us.

The same with the concierge collection, I wouldn't go out of my way to use it but if we happened to be some where there was a resort and we had spare points I'd use them rather than let them expire. I know I could rent them and pay cash for the hotels at probably. Better rate but fro. He UK that is a bit more hassle and it involves exchange rates twice as my paypal account automatically transfers currency back to £ .

I can't ever see me doing this often but once in a while if I was points rich and wanted a change yeah why not!

Why are the Disney resorts that aren't DVC so many points? Why would you want to stay there? Keep trying to come up with a situation that this would be beneficial...we are resale so couldn't anyway...but why would you?? Help me understand.
Because some people have more dollars than sense.

IMO Disney advertises all of the places that you can use DVC points outside of the DVC resorts as a sales tool but in reality they don't want you to do it. They set the point requirement high and some people still used their points even at the high rate so they added a $95 fee to make the deal even worse.

With the old RCI the points weren't bad but they only offered a restricted list of locations and even after a 2 year wait, some members didn't have success booking.

In both of these examples I think it's apparent that Disney doesn't want you to book anywhere other than DVC resorts.

:earsboy: Bill

In both of these examples I think it's apparent that Disney doesn't want you to book anywhere other than DVC resorts.

No doubt. Well, at least no doubt they don't want you trading out to RCI or the World Collection (whatever) as they don't get extra dollars from you.

With the resale restrictions, they need to make the collections that only direct buyers get sound as appealing as possible - but that's hard to do when DVC has to find away to recoup the cash they have to lay out to resorts when those options are used.

Someone recently posted that they cancelled a cruise and had 500 reservation points to use. The deluxe resorts would be a good option.

Its two things -

Keeping the options in the portfolio are a sales tactic - "and look, you can still stay at the Poly in the hotel room you are used to using points if you want to!"

and two

the reality of the accounting for the exchanges as was explained above. Disney resorts don't use points as a currency - to get those rooms DVC needs to give the Disney resorts something of equivalent value. Room nights within DVC is the only thing they have to give. If CRO can only book 70% of those room nights - well, that's the exchange rate. It doesn't do the resorts division any good to get rooms that will sit empty.

I was considering doing that recently and I'll explain my reasoning...
We wanted to stay at the Epcot resorts during a busy time there. No DVC units available at all for that time! My DH and I considered using our points to stay at the BW Inn. I know it would probably be cheaper to sell some of our points and get a cash reservation but, if you're in a hurry/have the extra points/really want to stay there, you use a lot of points to stay outside the DVC units!:)

I was considering doing that recently and I'll explain my reasoning... We wanted to stay at the Epcot resorts during a busy time there. No DVC units available at all for that time! My DH and I considered using our points to stay at the BW Inn. I know it would probably be cheaper to sell some of our points and get a cash reservation but, if you're in a hurry/have the extra points/really want to stay there, you use a lot of points to stay outside the DVC units!:)

You cannot use DVC points to stay in the hotel side of any dual DVC/CRO resort. DVC points cannot ever be used to book the BWI.

Your only points option in that immediate area would be Yacht Club. Just FYI.

You cannot use DVC points to stay in the hotel side of any dual DVC/CRO resort. DVC points cannot ever be used to book the BWI.

Sorry but you are wrong. BW Inn has just been added to the Disney collection! I was on the phone with MS 3 days ago and they told me a lot more resorts have been added to the Disney Collection now.

BWI can now be booked on points. Check out the member website for other resorts.

Cool, that's news to me...

Thanks!

Although it still isn't a great value - it at least allows people who are booking last minute and can't get what they want additional options. And allows some flexibility in reservation points....

Although it still isn't a great value - it at least allows people who are booking last minute and can't get what they want additional options. And allows some flexibility in reservation points....

As long as they aren't in the last four months of their UY.

As Minniesgal stated "I would do it at Disneyland if I couldn't get into VGC.."
Although DL & PP are not the only hotels for your points... you CAN do it @ Grand Californian Hotel too even though DVC is there! PLUS, NO $95 fee.

We like to have the Early Entry perk and even a 1 nite stay on property will give you 2 EE's. ::yes:: It definitely makes it easier for our frequent staycations @DLR!! :thumbsup2
We also stay the night BEFORE at an OFF property hotel (using a ton of our reward points) at least 5 minutes from DLR so we can make the EE on time :hourglass by checking IN early! ;)
My advantage as a So Cal local & my CHOICE to some people " to foolishly spend my $$$ ! " :cool1:
HAPPILY enjoying DVC as much as we can!! :lovestruc
PS. EVERYBODY should!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter