I Don't Know Where Any of the Bathrooms Are Here!~April 2016~Update 7/12, pg 4!

Following along! We are so similar, my DBF is bored with WDW and wants to go to DL and I am like NOOOOO please noooo and trying to make him consider the switch back to WDW! I can't wait to read more of your trip!

it is SO much easier to do this in Disneyland than WDW! You don't have to worry about walking to your car, driving back to the hotel, parking, and then walking another 50 miles to your room, or waiting 3 hours for a bus and having your resort be the last one they stop at! You just leave Disneyland, walk for like 8 minutes and your back! It was SO great!
We didn't even do a resort break, but I just loved that too. Park hopping was a breeze and forgetting things in your room is no biggie. LOVED it! :thumbsup2

We were doing the Paint the Night dining package, which, let me tell you, caused me some stress the months before this trip over whether or not I should keep the package, cancel it...OMG. (Basically, if you do the package, you get a Fast Pass that lets you sit in a reserved area to watch the parade...the seating area used to be on Main Street, but right before I went, they changed it to right in front of the train station, and I kept reading reviews that it was an awful place to watch from, and there's no way you could watch from there and then see the fireworks right after, which is what I wanted to do...which is why I kept debating with myself about canceling.) Well I kept it and I'm SO glad I did because it turned out awesome!
Oh, I didn't know they changed the viewing area. We did the BB PtN package too, but were in the old spot (which was also great - we got the LAST curb spot!) We were really glad we did the package too.

Blue Bayou is one of those restaurants that everyone says is a must do in Disneyland, which is why I wanted to eat here, and when I found out about the Paint the Night package, I figured what a great way to do both things in the same day! I did like Blue Bayou, it was very good, and the restaurant is beautiful, but do I need to eat there again? Eh. I'm sure I will at some point, but I don't need to on my next Disneyland trip. It's not that I have anything bad to say about it, it was very good, I think I was just expecting more maybe? I don't know.
I agree with this. Same reason we did it with the package. Wanted to try it and bonus viewing spot.

It was so weird, looking at this mansion knowing it's the Haunted Mansion, it is SO different from the WDW version! I heard it wasn't as good as the WDW one, but I actually LOVED it! It's not that different, but it's different enough to notice things that aren't there in WDW and things that are missing, but I didn't really feel like I was missing out on anything, I thought it was so cool! I almost like this version better, in a way.
We really enjoyed it too. I think it was one of Izzy's favorites, surprisingly - she still talks about it to this day!

Paint the Night was SO AMAZING!!! My new favorite parade! I usually am not a parade person (unless it's the Christmas parade or Halloween parade at WDW!) but this, I can now understand waiting hours for! It's unbelievable. Even Brandon loved it, and he didn't even want to watch it at first! :rotfl2: I keep reading rumors that after September this year, PTN might be coming to WDW soooo...kind of hoping that happens, considering I can't stand the Main Street Electrical Parade...:rolleyes1
We LOVED it too - great parade, and we are not big parade people either. I am super excited about that rumor, as we are going to WDW in December. Hope it's true!

Then the announcement...the fireworks might be cancelled due to high winds. Sigh. I knew the cancelled them a lot, but there was NO wind at all! I guess the wind is wayyy up high where we wouldn't notice it, but it would be a problem with fireworks. They said there wasn't a decision yet and they would let us know. So we stood there until the next announcement...fireworks cancelled. :sad:
Wow, same exact thing happened to us. :sad1: Fireworks were cancelled every night of our trip.

Funny. Looking at your pictures (which are amazing!) I was going to ask if Paint the Night is basically like the Electrical Parade...but then saw your comment above. So guess it's different?

It's similar in that it's a parade that lights up I guess? :rotfl: But it's just so much better...you can see how outdated the Electrical Parade is compared to this. My pictures are awful, considering how bright and beautiful the parade really is! And the music is really good, I hate the Electrical Parade music, which is a big reason I never watch it! But this one I could watch every night! I so hope it comes to Disney World! :jumping1:

So awesome! I can't wait to see Paint the Night, and I hope it's running when we go at the end of November, since we aren't planning on a weekend day/night. I have seen the Electrical Parade a few times as a kid, and watched Paint the Night on Youtube (a few times...) and I think they were both pretty awesome for their time. I know my kids will LOVE it! We will probably opt to watch it more like from the Small World area though, since I think we can get a better view with less waiting. (with 5 kids under 10, that super matters...)

I hope it's still there when you go, I keep reading rumors that they are bringing it to WDW after the 60th celebration ends in September! I think if it's still around the next time I go to Disneyland, I'll just watch it from the Small World area too, I just wanted to make sure I could get a spot for the fireworks that night, otherwise I would have went to the Small World section. :thumbsup2

I loved the New Orleans square area! We didn't eat at Blue Bayou (we stuck to quick service and I was first trimester and not a fan of eating much). I want to so bad!!!
I don't think I would like the people on pirates yelling and such at the diners. That would annoy me.

AHHHH PTN Looks SOOOO AMAZING!!!!!!
I am so so so hoping it comes to WDW!!!! :)

We never saw fireworks when we were there :(

I can't wait to see your photos of Disneyland Hotel and your thoughts on it!! :) I loved it!!!

Blue Bayou was so good! I'm not sure I really need to eat there again since there are so many other places I want to try in Disneyland, but I did like it!

I hope it comes to WDW too!

Yeah they cancel the fireworks a LOT! It's crazy! :crazy2:

Great trip report! You have some really wonderful pics!

The reasoning behind why the decorations and Space Mountain in Tomorrowland is Star Wars themed is because it is currently in Seasons of the Force mode. It's not always like that! ;)

We're Disneyland vets and we've never been to WDW before. I think I'm a little hesitant to try WDW because I'm afraid it won't measure up to my Disneyland standards! :) It's just so big and I've heard that Disneyland and Walt Disney World have the same number of rides, it's just that WDW is more spread out than Disneyland is. It'll have to be on our to-do list in the future.

Can't wait for the rest of your report!

Thanks!

Oh, that's right, I forgot it was the Seasons of the Force thing! :rotfl:I mean, I love Star Wars, I just really missed my Tomorrowland music!

You should go to WDW sometime, it's so amazing! It is MUCH bigger than Disneyland though, and I think the transportation might annoy you, if you like how you can walk to both parks, taking the buses or a boat or monorail to park hop gets really old sometimes! But other than that, WDW is really awesome, I'm sure you will love it, just in a different way! :thumbsup2

WOW..Blue Bayou sounds AWESOME! I have always wanted to eat at that restaurant in Mexico, but my husband doesn't like Mexican food
but, I bet I could get him to eat at Blue Bayou..now I just need to plan a trip to DL! LOL

that is strange out people on the ride shouting to dinners. You don't see that at the Mexico ride at all...at least I never have....

I'm glad you had a great spot for both the parade and fire works...

oh no, I love MSEP! but, I can see why some people don't enjoy it! I do have to say it is time for a change..I would love to see SpectroMagic come back...and even Paint the Night (Loved your pictures!) ...that would be cool if they could have all 3 during the week...how awesome would that be to see 3 different parades during your vacation!

Can't wait for your next update - Disney or Not!!

YES plan a trip to Disneyland! Everyone who loves WDW needs to go to Disneyland, I'm 100% convinced of that now!

Yeah it was weird, I mean, it only happened a few times, but it was enough to annoy me! Watch, the next time I go to Epcot, I'll see people doing it there too! :rotfl:

I'd love Spectro to come back more than anything, but I'm pretty sure those floats have been destroyed, I've heard that from CM's that have actually seen the destroyed floats. Breaks my heart. :sad: But PTN is just as good as Spectro, so fingers crossed it comes to WDW someday!

Following along! We are so similar, my DBF is bored with WDW and wants to go to DL and I am like NOOOOO please noooo and trying to make him consider the switch back to WDW! I can't wait to read more of your trip!

:wave: OMG you should totally go to Disneyland, you will love it! I can't tell you how much I was on the fence about this trip, and up until like, a week before, I wanted to change to go to WDW...even on the plane there I was nervous that I would hate Disneyland. Even the first day in the parks, I liked it but I felt weird, but then it all just clicked and I fell in love with it! Now I can't wait to go back, I love it so much! And it wasn't just Disneyland, it's California too that I loved, I basically just want to move there now! :rotfl:

We didn't even do a resort break, but I just loved that too. Park hopping was a breeze and forgetting things in your room is no biggie. LOVED it! :thumbsup2

Oh, I didn't know they changed the viewing area. We did the BB PtN package too, but were in the old spot (which was also great - we got the LAST curb spot!) We were really glad we did the package too.

I agree with this. Same reason we did it with the package. Wanted to try it and bonus viewing spot.

We really enjoyed it too. I think it was one of Izzy's favorites, surprisingly - she still talks about it to this day!

We LOVED it too - great parade, and we are not big parade people either. I am super excited about that rumor, as we are going to WDW in December. Hope it's true!

Wow, same exact thing happened to us. :sad1: Fireworks were cancelled every night of our trip.

I just love how close everything is there!

Yeah that's the spot I was hoping for, but our spot turned out to be pretty good! I actually really liked the package, I'm glad we did it!

I hope PTN comes to WDW, that would be so amazing! I'd feel bad for the Disneyland people though!

Yeah it's crazy how often they cancel the fireworks...especially since they say it's because of wind, and you're standing there like "uh, it's not even the slightest bit windy!" :rotfl2: I guess it's the winds that are way up high that you can't feel? It's just so weird that Disneyland is right in the middle of a city and they have to worry about that, in Florida, fireworks never get cancelled!

I'm all caught up now! We are at Disneyland in 59 days...so thanks for your post on the BB PTN package. Was wondering if we should do this but it seems to be a decent spot. I hope to catch the fireworks after too. I think our first day there is the last day they are offering the Disneyland Forever fireworks...so I hope it goes on that night, and hope it's not too crowded!

I'm all caught up now! We are at Disneyland in 59 days...so thanks for your post on the BB PTN package. Was wondering if we should do this but it seems to be a decent spot. I hope to catch the fireworks after too. I think our first day there is the last day they are offering the Disneyland Forever fireworks...so I hope it goes on that night, and hope it's not too crowded!

I'm so jealous you're going to Disneyland! It's all I think about lately, I just want to go back! I have a WDW trip coming up in October, but a little part of me wishes we were going to Disneyland! Although, I'm really excited about the Food and Wine Festival, so I can't be too sad!

I really liked the PTN package, and it's really not a huge problem to get to the middle of Main Street from the fireworks! I hope you get to see them, they're so awesome!

The Disneyland Hotel!

Monday, 4/25

(Ok so I have no idea why half of this is in purple and the other half is in blue, and all of my text is a clickable link, I'm trying to use Flickr because I can't stand the way the DIS boards have you upload pictures, but now it seems like Flickr is going to be a problem too! I miss good old Photobucket, too bad I ran out of room! If anyone knows how to fix this problem, please let me know!)

Hi everyone! I'm sorry I haven't updated in a LONG time, the only day I really have to do it is Tuesday, because I'm off, and the past few Tuesday's I've just been really busy, and we were in South Carolina last week, so today is the first day I can actually sit down and do an update! I was hoping today's update all at once, since it's the day we check into the Disneyland Hotel and then do non-Disney things, but I'm not sure if I will be able to, so this might just be a DL hotel update! We'll see how far I can get!

Monday morning was the day we would check out of HoJo's and into the Disneyland Hotel! I was up at 7, I showered, got ready, and then got Brandon up and he did the same, and then eventually, we checked out and left. For some reason, because it wasn't a Disney day, we were just taking our time that morning, we went to Panera again for breakfast, and sat and watched everyone rush around to get to Disneyland.

I am so obsessed with those breakfast soufflés at Panera! And you know what's annoying? If we go to the Panera where we live, they NEVER have them! They're either not cooked or they sold out of them...I've learned that I have to order them online and go pick them up if I want one here, because seriously, they never have them and we end up leaving and it's really embarrassing! :rotfl:

Anyway, we finished eating and then we drove over to the Disneyland Hotel, which is on the other side of Disneyland, so maybe a 3 minute drive, if that. The parking lot was a little confusing, we couldn't really find a place to park just to check in, so we had to park in a lot far away, but still, it was a lot closer than some of the lots we've parked in at WDW hotels!

We went in to check in and the lobby is absolutely beautiful...here's a photo for you...

Oh wait, just kidding. For some reason I forgot to take pictures of the lobby when we were checking in. :blush: I apologize, but I'm pretty sure I took some later in the week!

I think it was around 9:00 when we checked in, so I didn't think our room would be ready, but it was! I was kind of sad we were in the Frontier Tower, I was hoping for Adventure of Fantasy, but it was ok, I was just happy our room was ready!

We walked in, and each "Tower" has their own little lobby area, with specific theming and music, and I almost cried when I walked in because the music they had playing sounded exactly like Wilderness Lodge music! :sad: If you have read any of my TR's, you know that the Wilderness Lodge is my favorite WDW resort, my home, so I was feeling a little homesick for a second!

They had this really cool model of Frontierland in there, which I tried to get a picture of, but I couldn't really get the whole thing (now I realize I should have just turned my camera sideways!)

We looked around for a few minutes then went up to our room. It wasn't too far from the elevators, which was nice. We walked in, and I was immediately in love! :lovestruc

It was seriously the most beautiful room ever! I couldn't stop pressing the button that played the music and made the headboard light up!

(Sorry the lighting is so awful, I don't know why I didn't open the curtains!)
https://flic.kr/p/JCDEBU

Not only was it the most beautiful room, it was definitely the biggest room of any Disney resort I've ever stayed in! Maybe the Poly or the Grand has bigger rooms, I wouldn't know, but compared to the deluxes I have stayed in in WDW, the DL hotel definitely had the most space, it was awesome!
https://flic.kr/p/K1sEpf

Look at the adorable little lamp, with Mickey's hand holding it!

We were on the 2nd floor, so we didn't have the best view, but this is what it looked like from our window-I actually think it's pretty. I'm sure it's better from a higher floor, but it's not bad. And the windows are tinted blue, which is why everything looks blue!

https://flic.kr/p/K1sCHQ

The building to the right is the Adventure Tower, and the building in the front is the Fantasy Tower, which is where you check in. The wood peaking up through the trees is where the original Trader Sam's is! And between the Adventure and Fantasy Towers is the way you walk to get through Downtown Disney and then to Disneyland!

Different angle of the beds:

https://flic.kr/p/J86chK

Since we had time, we decided to unpack and settle in, since we never really did that at HoJo's. Before we knew it, it was the afternoon, and we had to get to Los Angeles! I was so worried about the traffic, I wanted to get back to the Anaheim area before rush hour started, so we didn't really have anything planned for the day. We basically just wanted to drive around and look at things, maybe find a place to eat, which I left up to Brandon, since I didn't really care. The only 2 things I really wanted to do in California were see the Pacific Ocean and the Hollywood sign!

We left our room and walked out to our car, and walked by this cute little seating area in front of Trader Sam's.

https://flic.kr/p/K4toKi

[URL='https://flic.kr/p/K4toKi']

I was hoping to go out there and sit by the fire one night, but for some reason, we never did.:sad2:

We went to our car and headed out to Los Angeles!

Up next...exploring LA!
[/url]​
https://flic.kr/p/JCDAHG

Last edited:

We were in frontier tower, too!!!

OMG I LOVED the fireworks! Between Rylan and me, Mike had to tell us to stop because we played it over and over so much! haha ;)

I wish I would have known you were planning to tool around the La 'burbs! I would have had a few different places for you to check out!!! MY aunt lives out that way (Arcadia).

Ah! Can't wait to hear more!!!!

Love the update!!

I LOVE PANERA SOUFFLES!!! They are so yummy. Which one is your favorite? Have you ever had their frozen caramel? I always refer to it as liquid gold. It is so delicious!

That room does look big! It is so pretty. I think it is so need how they have different themed towers.

I can't wait to hear about your adventure to LA :)

Really enjoying your TR, Jen!

I am a WDW girl and EPCOT is also my favorite, and I'm currently planning our first Disneyland trip for next summer. I get butterflies at the thought of not going to WDW, but DS (5) is Cars-obsessed, so we have to get to CarsLand before he gets much older!

I am put at ease that DL is smaller and easier to plan, because this will be his first Disney visit.

Look forward to hearing more about your awesome trip!!!:flower1:

Darcy

Hi, I am enjoying your trip report. I was at Disneyland the same time as you. We arrived on April 24 and left on the 29. My family of 5 was staying at the new Mariott hotel across from the street from the Howard Johnson.
We also had paint the night reservations for Sunday but cancelled them the day before. I had read all the reviews about the changes and went back and forth on keeping them or not. Sunday was also our arrival day and I thought the kids might not make it. I definetly regretted it when I saw how early people would line up for it. People seemed to be lining up four hours before parade. We finally saw it Thursday night by it is a small world and I staked out my spot over two hours before the parade. It worked out good because it was one of the only nights the fireworks were not cancelled while we were there.
The hotel we were staying at had their pool on the second floor above the parking garage. I went outside on Sunday to watch the fireworks and it was windy up by the pool. Not really bad windy but windy. I was still surprised they cancelled but I had a better understanding why they cancelled them.
I also noticed your Vera Bradly bag in one of the Panera pictures sitting on the table. I have that pattern in the hipster. I love the hipster bag but not the wallet in that pattern.
I can't wait to read more.

Just found your trip report. Sounds like a fun trip. I personally love how WDW and Disneyland are at the same time so alike and so different. Glad you had a good time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter