COMPLETE - "I DON'T LIKE MY FAMILY!!" — A May WDW Solo Mini-Trip Report + A Summer of Art

MeghanEmily

DIS Veteran
HELLLOOOOO HUMANS!
Welcome to another Meghan-and-Nathan trip report!

...wait a minute...that doesn't seem quite right this time...I mean it is a Meghan-and-Nathan trip report after all...Meghan-and-Nathan have done much tripping and have much to report...but it's only really a Meghan DISNEY trip report...okay, this trip report is about to get a little bit complicated... But hang in there. It will all make sense before long.

To all that come to this happy place because they've been following my previous reports, welcome back! :grouphug: When I wrote my first trip report a year and half ago, I never would have guessed I'd make so many valuable connections here. I truly do appreciate and care for my Dis-friends as if we'd met in any other way, and I'm continually floored and humbled by the loyalty and enthusiasm of this community. You guys are the bees knees! :lovestruc

If you're discovering my wacky world for the first time...

:welcome:

I'm soo glad you're here! Please stick around and get to know us all a little better. I'll try my best to keep things interesting...and not to get as behind as I've been on my last report... :rolleyes1

If you'd like to learn more about who we are, or our past trips to WDW, my previous TRs are linked in my signature below. This trip report will be a little bit different though, so I'll do my best to give you a brief bit of background info. Here we go!

What are you getting into here?

You should read this TR if you'd like to hear about my short solo stint at WDW, including all four parks, 3.5 forecasted days of rain in which only one day was particularly rainy, much yummy DIsNEY FOOD NOM! (including two solo ADRs), a wet UnDiscovered Future World tour at Epcot, Captain DuffMerica takes on the World Showcase!, occasional mildly-snarky comments about unpleasant/rude guests, and my one-neat-photo-I-like-from-every-WS-country challenge. You should also read this TR if you're at all interested in the life of a travelling, spray-painting, married couple, or art/artists in general, or if you'd like to keep up with whatever cool Canadian (and occasionally American) landmarks/tourist-traps in front of which we're photographing ourselves.

Who are we?

I am Meghan, and I am married to my husband of going-on-a-year, Nathan. (Referred to as "N" in my trip reports.)

0APLWJA.jpg

My hair just naturally sprouts this strange way, of course. I'm a metamorphmagus, if you didn't know.

We are an East Coast Canadian couple who got engaged and married at WDW, and now we can't seem to stop going back. When I first started writing on the Dis I was working as a braille transcriber, but since then I have returned to school to do a Masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology. Being in school has meant that I'm off this summer, which is one of the factors that has made this trip report a reality. N, however, is done with school for now and has a pretty neat job. He works as a spray paint artist and travels across Canada and the USA doing performance art and making custom 3-minute paintings for the interesting folks he meets. He does comic conventions, music festivals, holiday craft fairs, biker rallies, food festivals, etc. You name it, and he's probably painted at it. You're welcome to check out his work online at Facebook.com/salmnat, or with @salmnat pretty much anywhere the commercial at is applicable. Here, however, are a couple of quick examples.

d2XSbNs.jpg

VnV106m.jpg

RTMfNO3.jpg

fxnpMgf.jpg

oSCgjHq.jpg

Hu8gb1M.jpg

If you'd like to know any more juicy personal details about us, including our Disney-related favourites, click HERE to check out my introductions post from my current TR for our Disneymoon last August. (And yes, I'm STILL working on a TR from last August. :scared:)

Leading up to our Disney wedding last summer, I slaved away in my office to make our rent, while N slaved away over his spray cans on the road to pay for our wedding. By the time we got to the wedding trip, it was like we'd been living a long-distance relationship. We continued to struggle with this distance-impacted lifestyle when I went to school in the fall, but we swore that we'd be able to spend more time together once I got out of school in the spring. In May, I joined N on the road as his full-time assistant, and we've been working together ever since. We have since been dubbed "Painty and the Brain," because I am the brains and the organizational heart of the business, and N is the mesmerizing artistic talent.

NkCGmQA.gif

This whole TR came about because N and I were going to be in Orlando for a comic convention in May, and we were going to have a very tight timeline for travelling to the next event afterwards. N drives everywhere in order to transport his supplies, and he would be making a long drive, from Orlando, to New Brunswick (Canada,) to Niagara Falls, about 38-40 hours, all over the span of about 3-4 days. Something else that you should know for this trip report if you’re new around here is that I have a brain condition for which I received neurosurgery four years ago, and because of my remaining chronic symptoms, (including motion sickness,) I don’t travel well. I was worried that if I were to have trouble on the road, we wouldn’t have time to stop while I recovered, and I’d be slowing him down and/or miserable. Because N and I still have our WDW annual passes, we decided that I would stay behind in Orlando when he left, get an inexpensive room at an All Star resort, and do Disney solo-style while he drove. Then I’d fly into Toronto on airmiles to meet him. He’d pick me up at the airport, and we’d continue on to the next show in Niagara Falls. Somehow I managed to get the MUCH better end of the bargain in that deal. :confused3

IYk6sRq.gif

I will be doing this TR in two parts, so you can feel free to join in for everything, or just to selectively read based on what interests you, and to participate as much or as little as you feel comfortable. Part 1 will detail my time in Central Florida, with brief descriptions of the con and our brief stints in Disney together, and then with a fuller account of my solo days. Part 2 will be a series of short vignettes and photos from some of the highlights of our summer work travels.

*EDIT: JK, that Part 2 bit totally didn't pan out. Whoops!*

Those of you who follow me on other social media platforms are probably already familiar with our friend, Haynnk, who has been travelling with us this summer:

gHPu5vZ.jpg

He already has a booming instagram account with 17 followers: @findinghaynnk

I will be sharing the highlights from where Haynnk, Nathan, and I have been visiting over the course of the summer, until mid-August when we'll be on vacation back at WDW for our one-year wedding anniversary. I'll get to the quote that became the title for this TR in due time, but all I can say now is that, as much as it's been wonderful to have time alone to connect with my husband, and as much as it's been a wonderfully interesting summer so far, it's also been a secluded one! I'm struggling to keep up here on the Dis as we travel the road, and I had to make the tough choice to go weeks at a time without seeing my family or friends. As mentioned, I'm also still working away on finishing our Disneymoon trip report, so I'll try my best not to get too repetitive and to keep things separate on both reports. I have occasionally been taking sidebars on that report for life updates, reporting of/highlights from other trips, and pre-trip-reporting, so I think I will try to keep those things contained to that report, and to keep this report as on-topic as possible.

sXTxWyO.gif

I mean...I'll try. But that means that if you enjoy reading about trip planning, you may want to pop over there at some point later in the summer, because I may do a post with my plans and spreadsheet for our upcoming August anniversary trip.

Thanks so much for joining me! Without further adieu...here we go! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Last edited:

On phone so will save comments and blushing opportunities for later.

But I’m here!

I’m in for sure, love all your great adventures and your writing style!

N is a wonderful artist, love his unique spray paint art.

Here! So excited As I leave for my solo weekend tomorrow night. Woohoo! It’s a super short trip but hopefully packed with lots of magic :) can’t wait to see your version!

But hang in there. It will all make sense before long.

You obviously have a very high opinion of us.

:rolleyes:

My hair just naturally sprouts this strange way, of course. I'm a metamorphmagus, if you didn't know.

Well, obviously. I don't know why you go on stating the obvious. Sheesh.

. He works as a spray paint artist and travels across Canada

Still miffed I missed him.

Obviously I like this one the best.

Somehow I managed to get the MUCH better end of the bargain in that deal. :confused3

I noticed that! :laughing:

Im here!!

if N is looking for a craft show in September, our town hosts one of the top 10 handmade craft shies in the USA!

the website is

hillsboroartsandcraftsfair.org

I KNOW there is no art like his! I help with rhe applications

Looking forward to reading about your trip! I'm hitchiking on my hubby's convention and spending some solo time in Disney next month!

I'm here! Can't wait for more! WIll check out N's artwork, and let me know if you folks ever travel thru Nashville!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!