I don't think you took a picture of that....yet! (Updated 2/24)

i'm waiting for piglet to be somewhere i've been before so i have a shot at guessing where he is. i've seen the yellow mears buses out in full force at end of day at MK when the monorail has been down. it was amazing; there were two buses at every stop. the lines were long, but moving constantly. it was NICE.

a no park day? does not compute. if there's a park open somewhere, i'm in it. makes me nervous for my june 2013 trip. thinking i'm gonna have to scale that back a bit.

:rotfl2: You haven't been to those places yet? We had a great day even without setting foot in a park! I actually find them to be more relaxing than park days. They are great, but in a different way than being in the park.

Ugh on the monorail being down. I don't think it was down this night. These buses were servicing typical bus resorts. I have seen them do dual-loading before with the standard Disney Transport buses, but I don't recall ever seeing Mears or motor-coach type buses at the regular bus stops. I've only seen the fancy bus fleets at the Magic Express bus stops at the resorts. At those stops, I have seen DME buses, the cruise line transfer buses, and the yellow Mears buses. It was weird to see these "off-brand" motor-coaches! It was nice that they put the strollers in the luggage bins. The parents were probably glad they didn't have to hold them the whole ride also.

You're going in June 2013? What might you have to scale back?

:cool1::cheer2: You're back!!!!!! Enjoying every update!:thumbsup2

:dance3: Glad you're enjoying it! Thanks for the welcome back!

Woohoo!! Thanks for another great update.

You're welcome! Here comes more!

We got back to Pop Century at about 11:30, but I got a little distracted in the lobby on the way back to the room. Similar to the Memory Lane along the lake that has memorable moments from each year in timeline form, the lobby has a memory lane that showcases items from each decade in shadow boxes.
It’s funny how the 90s don’t seem that far in the past, but the technology looks so old! It was fun to look at all the stuff in the shadow boxes. I had some of the stuff growing up, and it brought back some fun memories. (Or, in the case of the graphing calculator, some frustrating math class memories!) Unfortunately, since they are behind glass, they don’t photograph well.

I love these, with all the old Disney stuff:
2758823590106080727GmTgeE_fs-M.jpg

2965103760106080727MMoyFA_fs-M.jpg

I wonder what this Monorail Game was like.
2941488860106080727QtbXeQ_fs-M.jpg

I have family in Seattle and have visited many times, so this is cool.
2507633950106080727FIfbBP_fs-M.jpg

Old technology (and Chariots of Fire, which was just part of the Opening Ceremonies in London – ha!):
2990257740106080727LfXtSh_fs-M.jpg

An Atari! Oh I wish we still had ours!
2874211780106080727GjEvXw_fs-M.jpg

8 Tracks! Yeah, my family had some of those when I was growing up too.
2370635840106080727YDnJbD_fs-M.jpg

A Cabbage Patch doll, My Little Ponies, and other miscellaneous toys and games from the 80s:
2121300360106080727bStWGv_fs-M.jpg

I believe these are 90s toys. We had a Game Boy, but not the one in the box. We had one that was green. And I found Waldo. Did you?
:laughing:
2627436590106080727WWijzm_fs-M.jpg

I also realized how old my coffee grinder is. I didn’t expect to see one of my kitchen appliances in a 1980s box. :rotfl:
2149331560106080727RosoeK_fs-M.jpg

These caught my eye because I used to live in NYC and I had been back visiting a friend in March and we had gone to the transit museum.

These are from Pop:
2564116790106080727PcqHOD_fs-M.jpg

2348583250106080727PDSJdz_fs-M.jpg

2777191510106080727VyguTA_fs-M.jpg

And these are from the MTA Transit Museum in Brooklyn:
A set of old signs (decorating the field trip cafeteria walls):
2115226360106080727SlYaHI_fs-M.jpg

Old advertisements from inside the vintage trains on display:
2902832460106080727Xzrryv_fs-M.jpg

2406114810106080727zqMkcu_fs-M.jpg

The museum is built in what was a functioning train station. The have many actual trains from different time periods. I believe this is the one that they were using at the time of the World’s Fair:
2561054240106080727yQmFLH_fs-M.jpg

We finally went back to the room to get ready for the next morning. In each room, you don’t get a shadow box, but you do get a poster for the decade your room is in.
2483035970106080727RZdJfP_fs-M.jpg

We ended up getting to sleep at about 1:00am....and I had plans to eat breakfast, take a walk around the other half of the resort to take photos, check in to our next hotel, and make rope drop at the Magic Kingdom. Would we make it? :scared:

Enjoying your trip report so far! Thanks for sharing. Not so good at the Where's Piglet since we havent been to the World in 6 years but loving seeing all the different places Piglet visited. :) Loved seeing the decade boxes - definately had some of those things (both the 80's and 90's - remember having that wheel of fortune hand held, as well as ponies and cp dolls gallore).

Enjoying your trip report so far! Thanks for sharing. Not so good at the Where's Piglet since we havent been to the World in 6 years but loving seeing all the different places Piglet visited. :) Loved seeing the decade boxes - definately had some of those things (both the 80's and 90's - remember having that wheel of fortune hand held, as well as ponies and cp dolls gallore).

:welcome:

6 years! :faint: It looks like your next trip is coming up soon! The best thing about waiting a long time between trips is that everything seems fresh and new again, yet still somewhat familiar. Growing up, we only went to WDW every 4 or 5 years. It's only been recently that I've gone more often. Most of those recent trips in my signature were quick weekend trips. This trip was the first time I'd gone for a week since 2006.

The theme of Pop Century and all the memory stuff was my favorite thing about the resort!

Well, I made it to Walmart :crazy2: and back yesterday, but failed to get the next update posted. I'm working on it now...

I got up about 6am. I just HAD to have a Pop waffle while I was staying at Pop Century. I got my Pop waffle and took it back to the room to eat with the coffee I made from my own coffee pot.

2280750450106080727asDlmB_fs-M.jpg

Then, I started to load the car and I walked around the last few decades of the resort. We were parked in the 90s parking lot, so after I took a load to the car I walked back “the long way” through the 90s, 80s, and 70s. Here’s the last section of the Pop Century Photo Tour:

2043971220106080727loQYtY_fs-M.jpg

I think they're saying "Throw me something, Mister!":jester:
2723486950106080727YgSUoQ_fs-M.jpg

2180773310106080727pRKPit_fs-M.jpg

I even saw a cute little bunny.

2735173900106080727MxRpdl_fs-M.jpg

2754658900106080727gLsqKA_fs-M.jpg

When I was walking over by this giant old cell phone, a lady approached me and asked me if I was just arriving. I was a little confused, but it turns out she was leaving to go back home and had part of a flat of water bottles left that she could not take home on the plane and was looking for someone to give them to. I wasn’t carrying any cash on me, but she insisted she just wanted to give them away so they wouldn’t go to waste. I ended up getting about 10 sealed water bottles, so if you’re reading, thank you! I put them in my car and continued my walk back to the room.

2407179210106080727RmFXkf_fs-M.jpg

I love how this old computer is running Windows with the old gray boxes and the website is abcnews.com and it has the opening of Animal Kingdom as the main story. The desktop icons are the icons for the four parks and they’ve right clicked to open the little menu and have it showing the two water parks. :lmao:

2712532420106080727jWgXrt_fs-M.jpg

And these disks are awesome. They remind me of how I labeled disks. To this day, I am terrible about organizing my files and labeling them something actually useful. “Games” is exactly how I would have labeled my old disks….if I even labeled them at all. Trying to find the game I wanted usually involved trying a few different disks. :rolleyes:

2167643370106080727lKYjlt_fs-M.jpg

2786306020106080727ePOWRI_fs-M.jpg

2525162230106080727dpOAAL_fs-M.jpg

2005742790106080727LiyNMc_fs-M.jpg

I like the ideas Disney comes up with. What a fun idea to build a Twister game into the resort.

2115840200106080727dPWxeY_fs-M.jpg

I love this phone…especially since it’s a rotary dial!

2849707220106080727OxLxKV_fs-M.jpg

Some of these photos were probably taken before breakfast. We somehow managed to leave Pop at about 7:30 to go check into the next resort.

Where's Piglet? 6

Here's a wider view.

P1030041-M.jpg

And does anybody want to take a wild guess of what our first in-park attraction was?

Ok, I know you took a lot of pictures but I love how you notice all of the little things! I guess I'm always chasing after someone so I don't see all of this stuff! When we go in November, I'll have to make a point to check all of this out!

I'll answer the where's piglet question but only because I knew where you were staying :) PORS!!!:dance3: I'm a genius.

You're getting me excited for our trip. Yay POP!!!

I love the shadow boxes at POP. Sad thing (or good thing ?? ) is that I remember so many decades. :blush:

Ok, I know you took a lot of pictures but I love how you notice all of the little things! I guess I'm always chasing after someone so I don't see all of this stuff! When we go in November, I'll have to make a point to check all of this out!

I'll answer the where's piglet question but only because I knew where you were staying :) PORS!!!:dance3: I'm a genius.

You're getting me excited for our trip. Yay POP!!!

Aww, thanks! I do notice the little things. Sometimes to the point of not noticing the big things. :rotfl:

Yes, we DID stay at Riverside!

I guess... Peter Pan!

No, our first ride at MK was not Peter Pan.

Any other guesses? From anyone?

I love the shadow boxes at POP. Sad thing (or good thing ?? ) is that I remember so many decades. :blush:

Definitely a good thing!

Hope that Isaac doesn't decide to come visit ... AND that you get back to us!

I just saw this. I don't know why I didn't get the notification the other day. Anyways, Isaac is coming. I had intended to update this weekend. I started back to work and have been crazy busy for a couple weeks, so I was all excited to get back to this yesterday. Then they declared a state of emergency and a hurricane watch so my attention was diverted to things like buying water and doing laundry. Hopefully I can get an update in before we lose power. If not, I'll post when I can! :grouphug:

Ugh. I'm being the stereotypical terrible trip report writer. :scared:

Isaac DID come. He knocked out the power for a little over 3 days (I got lucky it was so short!) and the internet was out for a little longer.

They were saying reports that he was going to intensify, so we booked a hotel and were preparing to evacuate. We put things like my Disney pictures and the external hard drive (where all the photos for THIS REPORT are stored), and the trip notes into plastic bins. However, Isaac didn't intensify to a Cat3 like they said he might, so we canceled the reservation and rode it out at home.

We didn't get a lot of damage, but our living room and hall carpet got moldy :confused3 so we had to pack up ALL the living room stuff in plastic bins (yeah, I have a lot of plastic bins :rotfl2:) and pile that on top of the bins of photos in the guest room and tear the carpet out. We've been spending time choosing what to replace it with. We are still on the sub-floor. We picked out a floor (See HERE) and pulled off the baseboards to lay it down. The process of removing the baseboards tore the paint off. We don't have the same paint to do patch work. Now we are choosing paint colors. :rotfl: We won't lay the floor until we paint - much easier to throw a drop cloth over JUST the couch than over the entire floor.

Then, we realized the door frame on the back porch is rotten. This is not storm damage. But we don't want to paint until we replace the door, because that would damage the new paint. Do you see where this is going? It reads like one of those annoying children's books where one thing leads to the next ...."she swallowed the spider to catch the fly..."

Finally, the other day I pulled out all the plastic bins to find the trip notes so I can get this thing back on track. I finally found the notes in the bottom of the BOTTOM BIN. :crazy2:

AND...I have a goal: I need to get this trip report done before my DISNEYLAND TRIP!!!! :dance3:

Any more guesses on what our FIRST RIDE in the Magic Kingdom was on our first day?

ARGH!!!! I just want to scream!

I have tried to add to this trip report a few times in the last couple of weeks.

I tried to upload photos - internet service had cut out again. :badpc:
I tried to upload photos - I got a migraine and had to go to sleep.
I tried to upload photos - the ladder that is on sale that was out of stock is back in stock, so I had to run out to Home Depot. (We need a ladder so we can patch a spot on the roof.)
I tried to upload photos - Webshots will not allow me to upload anything! :furious:

I get this message on their site when I went to upload:

We are transferring our members’ photos and videos to Smile by Webshots, but you will no longer be able to upload photos into your old account or download photos from Webshots. All new activity will be on smile.webshots.com, and the Webshots site will be coming down on December 1.

I do not know how this will affect the photos I've already posted in this (and my other) trip report. I'm just about to throw in the towel and say forget it. This trip report started out good, but now it's just been an exercise in frustration and a string of excuses. Sorry. Ideas? Thoughts?

I finally found time to make it over here. Sorry I'm late to the party.

I'll guess that you went on the Winnie the Pooh ride.

Your TR is great and I love your Where's Piglet game. But I'm sorry to read that you're having problems with your photo repository service. Are you a paid up member there? Either way, chances are that your links to existing pictures will still work after December.

But it's about loading your new pictures up. Have you checked out the new website to see if you like the functionality they provide?

Alternatively, you could try Photobucket or Flickr or SmugMug.

Hope you work it out and keep going on this. :goodvibes

I finally found time to make it over here. Sorry I'm late to the party.

I'll guess that you went on the Winnie the Pooh ride.

Your TR is great and I love your Where's Piglet game. But I'm sorry to read that you're having problems with your photo repository service. Are you a paid up member there? Either way, chances are that your links to existing pictures will still work after December.

But it's about loading your new pictures up. Have you checked out the new website to see if you like the functionality they provide?

Alternatively, you could try Photobucket or Flickr or SmugMug.

Hope you work it out and keep going on this. :goodvibes

:welcome:

It's okay you're late to the party; the party had a rain delay. :rolleyes1

Thank you for the compliments. :goodvibes I am enjoying writing this trip report and reliving my trip! I've decided to keep going and I will be going with SmugMug.

I am a paid member of Webshots - it does not matter. They say we can cancel our memberships at anytime, but not right now, because they cannot process cancellations during the transition. I hope they do not charge me the annual fee since it's on recurring billing.

There are a lot of very angry members of Webshots. Their new version of their site is very different from their current version. It does not offer the same functionality as the current site, and they actually state on their blog, "If you like existing older style photo sharing services, we encourage you to try out Flickr or SmugMug." :eek: They are marketing this exciting new thing as the cutting edge in photo sharing, yet they are abandoning their loyal members in the process.

People are also upset about the process. They would email me a weekly stats email about my albums, yet I did not receive any emails about this "exciting new change!" They are purging all the photos on December 1! You'd think that would get mentioned in an email! :furious:

The thing that makes me think all my photos will not exist as embedded links as of December 1 is from their Q/A page:
Your photos won’t be accessible publicly in the way they once were. All photos will be removed by December 1. Until then, you may use message boards and you may search, browse and view images, but you won’t be able to upload or download images. We are no longer supporting the old Webshots service as we move to the new system.

Can I still share my photos publicly?

The landscape of photo sharing has changed dramatically in the age of Facebook. Smile by Webshots is no longer a traditional public photo sharing site; it is a platform that pulls together your photos from multiple places and services for you to easily share. Smile gathers your photos from all the different places you keep them and stores them securely in the cloud where you can then share as many or as few as you want. If you are only interested in sharing publicly, there are a number of great services to check out: Instagram, SmugMug, Flickr, 500px to name a few.

And the new website sounds like it just pulls photos from your computer if you have their thing downloaded, versus you selecting which photos to upload. I also have been unable to create albums, captions, titles, anything....on their new program. I'm trying to delete all the photos, but it gets so sluggish when you try to do that. It's all just very frustrating.

http://smile.webshots.com/landing?sort=newest&vhost=www

Anyways....I am finding I really like SmugMug! You can change the backgrounds and they offer you links to many different sizes of the photo. It just seems more dynamic and current than what I had on Webshots. I'm excited to spend some time exploring SmugMug. Right now I'm on a free 2-week trial, but I plan to subscribe. It's $40/year, so that's only $3.33/month....not bad for unlimited storage in albums that I can share! :woohoo:

Where's Piglet? 6

We did indeed move from Pop Century over to Port Orleans Riverside! Here's a wider angle of Piglet in our newly-renovated room!

P1030042-M.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter