I don't want to be rude

disdad_zach

Earning My Ears
My family and I leave for DW in a little over a week. We will be doing MNSSHP again this year and have a long to do list. Normally when we go, we wait in line for things as a family or just the ones going on the ride. This time, in the hopes of saving some precious minutes, I have considered standing in line for a meet and greet while my wife takes the 5 kids on a ride. My concern is upsetting other people in line behind me. This may be a stupid question, and maybe I'm looking for someone to just tell me not to do it. Would I be a jerk if I did this? My brain won't give me a straight answer, which probably means I shouldn't do it. Need someone else to tell me NO I guess.

I think that if it is one of the lines that is outside and your family can easily join you again there shouldn't be any issues. I wouldn't want to do that if your family has to try to snake through an inside line to find you. The queues are usually pretty narrow and if you come across an ECV/wheelchair, they might not be able to get through so easily. Plus the whole, "excuse me, excuse me" down the line is a bit annoying. 6 people trying to squeeze through the line is a bit much, IMO. Have a great trip.

Also, how old are the kids? I’d have way more patience for a mom returning with 5 toddlers or very young children as opposed to a family of 12-17 yr olds showing up & squeezing back in line. Chances are I’ve made the decision to decide to wait in the line with my toddler based on how many ppl were ahead of us. I’d be super annoyed if I thought it was one guy only to find out it’s a family of 5 teenagers.

Also, how old are the kids? I’d have way more patience for a mom returning with 5 toddlers or very young children as opposed to a family of 12-17 yr olds showing up & squeezing back in line. Chances are I’ve made the decision to decide to wait in the line with my toddler based on how many ppl were ahead of us. I’d be super annoyed if I thought it was one guy only to find out it’s a family of 5 teenagers.
Kids are 2, 4, 6, 8, and 11. The younger ones are why I considered holding the spot. They don't do well in super long lines.

I think that if it is one of the lines that is outside and your family can easily join you again there shouldn't be any issues. I wouldn't want to do that if your family has to try to snake through an inside line to find you. The queues are usually pretty narrow and if you come across an ECV/wheelchair, they might not be able to get through so easily. Plus the whole, "excuse me, excuse me" down the line is a bit annoying. 6 people trying to squeeze through the line is a bit much, IMO. Have a great trip.
I completely agree! I wouldn't want them to be doing that either. I was only going to do it for meeting the 7 Dwarfs at MNSSHP, which is outside. We plan to! Very excited and taking everyone's replies here to heart.

Are you the only one going to meet and greet the character? If so, no problem. If you are considering holding 6 spots in line for your family to join you later to meet the character, big problem. Disney peeps consider that to be cutting the line and will probably be very vocal in their displeasure. It could get ugly.
That's kinda what I was afraid of happening and want to avoid. I don't want to be 'that guy' by any means. Guess I just needed someone to tell me that would be the case. My brain didn't want to be objective.

Kids are 2, 4, 6, 8, and 11. The younger ones are why I considered holding the spot. They don't do well in super long lines.

WDW is a great place to practice patience. LOL My kids are older now but I find it funny that when we go now and they see a line that is over an hour long they say "oh, that's not that bad". I know that they are Disney raised. :P I would narrow down what meet and greets that you guys would really want to go to and try to get in line first thing. You can get into the park earlier and be hanging out and waiting for the line to start. Even if you skip some, they probably won't even notice or care.

My thought is, if you’re just going in for one family photo, and or for the characters to sign one autograph book, fine. You’re not taking up any more time, then if it was just one person in line.

The problem is, the people in line won’t realize this until you actually get up to the front. There may be grumbling from others. But most people will probably seethe quietly inside. Lol. You’ll probably tick some people off.

I think it also depends on when they join you again. If you’re still at the back of the line I don’t think it’s as big of deal, but if you’re just about to meet the characters & 6 more ppl show up that would be bad.

I think with the younger ones...maybe, but nope not the older kids. I think you're better off starting with EVERYONE in the line, and then if the younger two get antsy have one of you leave. I remember being in line for SDMT back after it opened and letting some pregnant mom and toddler leave the line to go pee.

I think with the younger ones...maybe, but nope not the older kids. I think you're better off starting with EVERYONE in the line, and then if the younger two get antsy have one of you leave. I remember being in line for SDMT back after it opened and letting some pregnant mom and toddler leave the line to go pee.
The pregnant mom was in line for SDMT 😬

I aqree with @sponica. I'd get in line together and see how it goes. If the little ones start getting really antsy, then take just them out of the line, though I'd probably still have mom wait with them nearby, that way she knows when you're getting close to the front and there's no having to wait for her because they're on a ride. Also, then there's no hard feelings from the older kids that they had to wait in line while the younger ones went on a ride. The 6yo and older kids ought to be able to wait. Bring small toys for the little ones to play with in line, show them pictures on your phone, discuss what they may want to do next or what they've enjoyed, etc... whatever you can to try to keep them occupied.

My personal opinion is that everyone should be waiting in line in most situations, exceptions being bathroom breaks, medical emergencies, and rare occasions with really young kids who have waited for a while in line already and just can't take it anymore. Again though, it doesn't seem right to let them go on rides instead and makes it more difficult to coordinate knowing when to get back in line. It seems more acceptable to have them wait to the side just outside of the line where they can move a little, but still know when to try to get back in line with you. Also, people are more apt to be understanding and not grumble if they can see it's a little kid or two who has already waited for 30 mins, got restless, and just needed to move a bit while still in sight of the line.

The pregnant mom was in line for SDMT 😬

I don't think she ended up riding? I really wasn't paying attention. All I remember was that it was the longest wait I've ever waited (or it felt like that) for a ride that we only thought was "meh"

Since my kids were toddlers we get in lines based on if they can handle it. If I don't think they can handle it we don't do that line. I've missed a lot of things I wanted to do because of that.

I've been going to WDW since 2003 and finally got my 7 Dwarves picture in 2018. Mostly because we don't go during party times but we did have the opportunity when DS was young but we knew he wouldn't make it to midnight or tolerate the 7Dwarves line. So we skipped it.

I would get in line as a family and if someone needs to leave with the younger ones then leave and come back.

So we did this at MVMCP about 3 years ago. It was when the Zootopia characters were super popular, and you could only meet them at the party. Normally, I wouldn't have even considered this, but the CMS encouraged us to take the kids do a few things and come back. The entire line was outside. It was about 3 hours long. Zootopia was my 2 year old (at the time) fav. movie. My mom got in line and waited. DH and I took turns waiting with her and taking the kids to do other things. We got cookies and hot chocolate and brought some back for our family that were waiting. We did the People Mover and Buzz. We didn't walk up right as it was time to meet the characters. All of us waited the last 40 min. or so. I would say normally this is a definite no, but during a party with a crazy wait, I might consider it. especially if you have CMS suggesting you do it. All the families around us were doing the same that night.

But then... how will they learn? :)

I have the agree with others, its one thing when it's a toddler or two and they need a bathroom break, or need to meltdown and come back, or whether. But just going off to ride another ride isn't cool. And to have 5+ people push up to the front of the line? Look at it this way, if you had to explain to any kids behind you who did wait the entire time in line, what would you say? "They don't do well in long lines?" Well, no duh, no one likes to wait in lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter