I don't want to loose $6,300. Tale from a David's DVC points Renter.

Advice - hire an independent broker for trip insurance, don’t buy any that come to you at the time of booking, those are always terrible.

I have a confirmed week reservation for AUL using my points in February, debating renting it out. I’m actually considering writing my own cancellation policy to allow for a full refund 31 days prior to stay and charging the renter $200-300 as the premium. Since my UY is February, I can still bank the points and potentially re-rent them in the future.

I wonder if many owners have considered this option.

. I’m actually considering writing my own cancellation policy to allow for a full refund 31 days prior to stay and charging the renter $200-300 as the premium.
Since you are acting as an insurer for your renter, consider making the deadline 32-35 days prior to check in to give yourself a little wiggle room for cancelling. That way if the online system is not available or MS is tough to reach or you are tied up, etc., you won't need to stress out ever actually getting it done.

Advice - hire an independent broker for trip insurance, don’t buy any that come to you at the time of booking, those are always terrible.

I have a confirmed week reservation for AUL using my points in February, debating renting it out. I’m actually considering writing my own cancellation policy to allow for a full refund 31 days prior to stay and charging the renter $200-300 as the premium. Since my UY is February, I can still bank the points and potentially re-rent them in the future.

I wonder if many owners have considered this option.
I like the option about doing your own CFAR insurance policy. How would you go about banking deadline etc because if you have passed the banking deadline then you can’t do anything with the points except making a new reservation and maybe rent that out.

Since you are acting as an insurer for your renter, consider making the deadline 32-35 days prior to check in to give yourself a little wiggle room for cancelling. That way if the online system is not available or MS is tough to reach or you are tied up, etc., you won't need to stress out ever actually getting it done.

Ooh good idea.

I like the option about doing your own CFAR insurance policy. How would you go about banking deadline etc because if you have passed the banking deadline then you can’t do anything with the points except making a new reservation and maybe rent that out.

My UY is February and the reservation is the first week of February. A renter would cancel more than a month before the start of the UY.

Reality is I’ll probably end up cancelling this outright and move the points forward, but I’m thinking of creative ways to rent this out.

Reactions: cm8

I agree.... Thank you for this..

I got the e-mail from Davids saying the people who I've rented to are wary of coming in early October and would I consider re-renting.
I said yes if same T&C but that was last week and heard nothing back - is the market overly saturated with these re-rentals and therefore the reason I heard nothing?

Are people reaching out for new renters in this forum if no response from Davids?
Just an update to say David’s have found someone to replace the original booking. Hopefully a happy ending for me, the original renters and the new bookers.

Wellllll - we WERE listed with Davids. No fault on David's - we just got really concerned about the current "Lawsuit Fight" environment.

So we did something off the wall. We GIFTED our points, to a wonderful Family we know, living in Georgia. We were getting nowhere anyway - and that lovely family does not need to FLY.

So just us - when stuff gets ugly for YOUR family? Try to make things better for ANOTHER Family :). Not mentioning the family.... but they have two wonderful young daughters who really got cheated in 2020 :(.

Did I "Lose Money"? Probably. But I gained a whole BUNCH of "I feel really good Today".:).

Wellllll - we WERE listed with Davids. No fault on David's - we just got really concerned about the current "Lawsuit Fight" environment.

So we did something off the wall. We GIFTED our points, to a wonderful Family we know, living in Georgia. We were getting nowhere anyway - and that lovely family does not need to FLY.

So just us - when stuff gets ugly for YOUR family? Try to make things better for ANOTHER Family :). Not mentioning the family.... but they have two wonderful young daughters who really got cheated in 2020 :(.

Did I "Lose Money"? Probably. But I gained a whole BUNCH of "I feel really good Today".:).
Best post of the day. Congrats.

We just found out from David's the owner of the points we rented hasn't responded to their request to change the reservation. So they can't even post it or search for someone to take it even if someone tries to book the exact same reservation. and of course they won't give us the name or contact info of the owner which i get. But gotta say this is really frustrating someone would just not be willing to lift a finger and help someone at no cost to themselves except a few minutes.

We just found out from David's the owner of the points we rented hasn't responded to their request to change the reservation. So they can't even post it or search for someone to take it even if someone tries to book the exact same reservation. and of course they won't give us the name or contact info of the owner which i get. But gotta say this is really frustrating someone would just not be willing to lift a finger and help someone at no cost to themselves except a few minutes.
There are other reasons not to be able to get in touch with them besides being unwilling. One of the reasons members use such a service is to avoid such issues and additional efforts. It'd be nice if they got the communication and would be willing to offer it for rent again, esp if their only risk were contacting MS with the new names or changing it online.

Last edited:
Reactions: cm8
You are absolutely right, a lot of members use David's and other such sites for that reason among others. My understanding here is limited and I can only relay the process as I understood it from the rep on the phone. Once I requested that they find someone to take my reservation, the first step they took is to reach out to the owner and ask if the owner is willing to make a change to the reservation.

The owner is within their rights to say no. But in this case it appears despite being both called and sent emails the owner has simply not responded. I have no way of knowing the reason they wouldn't respond. Maybe they have a legitimate reason. Maybe they just don't want to do it? Maybe life just got in the way? Maybe they have their own troubles? 2020? The end result is the same. David's won't list or put any effort to find someone else willing to take the reservation. So even if there is someone out there looking for an October OKW reservation they will never see mine until David's hears from the owner.

To be honest I never had high hopes they would find someone to take the reservation so my disappointment is minimal. But when i found out they couldn't even attempt to fill it because the process stalled at the first step I admit I was frustrated.

You are absolutely right, a lot of members use David's and other such sites for that reason among others. My understanding here is limited and I can only relay the process as I understood it from the rep on the phone. Once I requested that they find someone to take my reservation, the first step they took is to reach out to the owner and ask if the owner is willing to make a change to the reservation.

The owner is within their rights to say no. But in this case it appears despite being both called and sent emails the owner has simply not responded. I have no way of knowing the reason they wouldn't respond. Maybe they have a legitimate reason. Maybe they just don't want to do it? Maybe life just got in the way? Maybe they have their own troubles? 2020? The end result is the same. David's won't list or put any effort to find someone else willing to take the reservation. So even if there is someone out there looking for an October OKW reservation they will never see mine until David's hears from the owner.

To be honest I never had high hopes they would find someone to take the reservation so my disappointment is minimal. But when i found out they couldn't even attempt to fill it because the process stalled at the first step I admit I was frustrated.

Davids actions during all of this has been, IMO, horrible and it is possible your owner has heard or even had a bad experience with a different renter since this started and it’s easier to just not respond.

Frustrating for you and I’m sorry because even if you found your own renter to take it over, nothing can be done without the owner.

David's won't list or put any effort to find someone else willing to take the reservation.

I am no fan of David's right now, but legally David's cannot list or put effort into getting someone else to take your booking. Only the owner of the points can approve that or change the names on the booking. David's cannot proceed with looking without authorization from the owner that it is ok, and that the owner will make the update.

We ended up doing something similar to Dean! We have good friends in Tampa who called us asking for some Disney advice because they just wanted to get of town for a few days and had never done Disney. It just felt right to surprise them with a few nights at Copper when they were originally just going to stay at Pop. We were going to loose the points anyways and it felt good gifting them to friends for their first Disney adventure.

All I can add is that I reached out to re-rent as soon as possible and David’s found me someone in about 10 days.
I’m sorry it didn’t work out for you.

I was planning on renting excess points in the future but I think I might as well just upgrade to 1 and 2br instead.

David's won't list or put any effort to find someone else willing to take the reservation. So even if there is someone out there looking for an October OKW reservation they will never see mine until David's hears from the owner.
David can't do anything without the help of the owner and the owner is ghosting them for some reason. I bet they'll be Johnny On The Spot when it comes to cashing in their 30% check after your reservation is done :sad2: .

We ended up doing something similar to Dean! We have good friends in Tampa who called us asking for some Disney advice because they just wanted to get of town for a few days and had never done Disney. It just felt right to surprise them with a few nights at Copper when they were originally just going to stay at Pop. We were going to loose the points anyways and it felt good gifting them to friends for their first Disney adventure.
GOOD for you!. Someone worthy got the points, WDW was going to steal 'em anyway, and you made a lovely family happy :).

WELL done :).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter