I don't want to loose $6,300. Tale from a David's DVC points Renter.

Tell David’s that you’re willing to take more than the $3/point loss to recover some Funds. A friend of mine who was getting married in FL In September has the same issue. She and fiancé are in high risk categories - he more so than her - so they cancelled their DVC and are asking David’s to see if they can rent the reservation. It’s with three different owners at three different resorts. I told her to email David’s and see if it can be rented at a lesser amount. They booked at 11 month time period so I think they paid $20/point.

i think they’ll be out $3000-3500 if it doesn’t re-rent. i told her to tell David’s they would be willing to take $10/point if it can be re-rented. But she doesn’t always listen to me.

I am someone that would consider taking over a dedicated reservations, but the only ones that are discounted are the ones that are coming up in the next few weeks. I don’t want to travel until November, so even if I wanted a discounted reservation, I would wait a while to see if the price came down. All that to say, I would try to re-rent, and don’t give up hope. Your reservation may get rented closer to the travel date if the price gets discounted. (I also don’t want to travel until APs go back on sale.)
Where do you find these discounted reservations?

I am someone that would consider taking over a dedicated reservations, but the only ones that are discounted are the ones that are coming up in the next few weeks. I don’t want to travel until November, so even if I wanted a discounted reservation, I would wait a while to see if the price came down. All that to say, I would try to re-rent, and don’t give up hope. Your reservation may get rented closer to the travel date if the price gets discounted. (I also don’t want to travel until APs go back on sale.)

you won’t find them discounted until September or October

We were considering using Davids but had heard some stories like this and had to rethink. I understand the nature of how these transactions take place, but it is unfortunate how some people were left holding the bag during this pandemic.

We were considering using Davids but had heard some stories like this and had to rethink. I understand the nature of how these transactions take place, but it is unfortunate how some people were left holding the bag during this pandemic.

Dont get me wrong, the pandemic is terrible for everyone but when you rent from a broker someone will end up with the shortest straw when stuff like this happens.

Question is who should that be? Broker, owner or renter? - You can’t say neither of the above :-)

Dont get me wrong, the pandemic is terrible for everyone but when you rent from a broker someone will end up with the shortest straw when stuff like this happens.

Question is who should that be? Broker, owner or renter? - You can’t say neither of the above :-)
But it's always nice if the three parties can share the cost based on how much skin they have in the game.

But it's always nice if the three parties can share the cost based on how much skin they have in the game.

No, because that is not how contracts work. With the resorts open, the renter is 100% responsible as that is what they purchased. While the resorts were closed I believe it was up to both the owner and broker to return all money received because they could not deliver, but sadly that is not how it went in most cases.

I would be tremendously appreciative of any advice and ideas. I thought I was better protected by booking through David’s verses going through an owner directly. Now I'm not so
We are definitely not going to go. 4 out if the 7 members of our party are 65+. Of that, 3 have additional risk factors.

We are within the cancelation window for the DVC owner and we are willing to take a Davids credit and work with the current 2 owners to re book so they keep their 70% and the 30%. (After reading post about concerns over David's folding maybe a credit is a bad idea if it was offered.)

Davids will only offer to re-rent our reservation. I can't imagine with so many people trying to get out of reservations, combined with limited park capacity, that its going to be re rented.

I booked with a credit card that has travel insurance. Have not tried to go that route yet. Was hoping to work something out with David's but that is not happening.

I understand the concerns of owners at risk of not receiving full or partial compensation for their points. At the same time i feel it is enormously irresponsible of Disney to be open as it is located in the new epicenter of the pandemic. It looks like my family will be out $6,300.

Any and all advice appreciated.
Thanks
Bethany
Oh boy. What a mess. It doesn't sound like renting points is such a good idea at this point. I wonder if your better off just booking reservations and have cancel for any reason up until checp
with the ongoing pandemic is it safe to buy or even travel to Florida?

with the ongoing pandemic is it safe to buy or even travel to Florida?

If you're sure you can go, then I think Disney is probably one of the safer places in Florida, as long as guests follow the rules. I'd probably be more concerned about the plane down and back, than the parks and resorts. That said, I have a January reservation, and I haven't purchased air yet, in case I need to cancel.

I would be tremendously appreciative of any advice and ideas. I thought I was better protected by booking through David’s verses going through an owner directly. Now I'm not so
We are definitely not going to go. 4 out if the 7 members of our party are 65+. Of that, 3 have additional risk factors.

We are within the cancelation window for the DVC owner and we are willing to take a Davids credit and work with the current 2 owners to re book so they keep their 70% and the 30%. (After reading post about concerns over David's folding maybe a credit is a bad idea if it was offered.)

Davids will only offer to re-rent our reservation. I can't imagine with so many people trying to get out of reservations, combined with limited park capacity, that its going to be re rented.

I booked with a credit card that has travel insurance. Have not tried to go that route yet. Was hoping to work something out with David's but that is not happening.

I understand the concerns of owners at risk of not receiving full or partial compensation for their points. At the same time i feel it is enormously irresponsible of Disney to be open as it is located in the new epicenter of the pandemic. It looks like my family will be out $6,300.

Any and all advice appreciated.
Thanks
Bethany

What did you decide to do? As I said in another post, I would contact David's and let them know you'd be willing to take even less back per point (right now the offer is $3/point as the "loss" but depending on what you paid {$19-20/point}, even $10/point would at least give you some of the money back!)

Unfortunately Davids will do whatever it takes to cover his own a.. In some cases I have read on facebook I unfortunately also see that some owners wont even help or accommodate renters and in those cases I understand why renters just file a chargeback.
the age old debate
Yup :D

No, because that is not how contracts work. With the resorts open, the renter is 100% responsible as that is what they purchased. While the resorts were closed I believe it was up to both the owner and broker to return all money received because they could not deliver, but sadly that is not how it went in most cases.
This thread was about a reservation being canceled due to resort closure. However I agree if the resorts are open then renter is on the hook. BUT if my renter came to me asking to reschedule I would do whatever I can to help. I know that Davids are not doing that in most cases for some reason they are doing it for some.

This thread was about a reservation being canceled due to resort closure. However I agree if the resorts are open then renter is on the hook. BUT if my renter came to me asking to reschedule I would do whatever I can to help. I know that Davids are not doing that in most cases for some reason they are doing it for some.

This thread is about the OP not wanting to go because they don't feel comfortable. The resorts and parks are already open. I believe the OP put more date details originally but it was edited out to not seem like this was offering the reservation for rental. The problem right now with rescheduling for people who do not feel safe is that the points used will likely expire before there are zero restrictions. I don't see things being too much different in 3-6 months than they are right now.

None of this is easy for the rental market and really just demonstrates the danger of renting DVC points. While there have been some limited issues, this is the first wide spread (and may be the only one) that shows the real risk on renters. The owners are more protected as owners and in almost every situation, outside of the pandemic, have the right to be protected. If you take COVID out of the equation and a renter said hey, we have a family member that is not able to travel because of a health concern or a family emergency that means most of the family cannot go, we would all agree that is on the renter and the owner held up their end of the bargain.

Yes, this is unprecedented times, but if the owners booked the reservation with their points and have held those reservations in good faith for months for the renter, its not fair for them to suddenly have a glut of points on their hands that may now expire. Unfortunately, points do have value and even if they took a 50% loss, that is still a huge loss that they will take, in their own good faith. When the resorts were shut down, I think you could try to make a different case, but now it has to be handled just like any other situation in the past.

It definitely sucks for the renter who may be out, but it has always been clearly non refundable.

On the brokers web site. Look under DVC owners, confirmed reservations on the website of the broker from Canada.
Thank you! I didn't know this existed! Since we live nearby Disney is really the safest vacation choice for us--this will save us a ton of money.
There are multiple sites that have them, including the Timeshare Store. I think this link will be okay since they are a board sponsor:https://www.dvcstore.com/pre-booked-reservations.cfm
Some good deals here too; thanks!

I can't speak for your CC travel protection but I know most timeshare travel insurance doesn't cover the Covid situation, Marriott's Travelex doesn't. Fear of travel, no matter how real, is not a covered event. The one ones that I would think would cover this situation are the ones that cover any and all cancelations.

I can't speak for your CC travel protection but I know most timeshare travel insurance doesn't cover the Covid situation, Marriott's Travelex doesn't. Fear of travel, no matter how real, is not a covered event. The one ones that I would think would cover this situation are the ones that cover any and all cancelations.
Do they actually exist?

Do they actually exist?
Technically yes but you'd want to dive into it far more than I have before buying one. Normally they would not cover an issue that was already in existence and they are very expensive. Overall not reasonable from what I've seen when I looked in the past. They also normally must be purchased shortly after booking a given trip. I'm not a big fan of travel insurance in general having the feeling that if you couldn't absorb the loss and be OK, one likely shouldn't go to start with. But there are situations where it might make more sense. I do buy the Marriott version simply because I own 18 weeks, one plan covers the entire year and up to 8 people traveling together so there's an economy of scale. It doesn't cover exchanges and there are limitations. It didn't cover Coronavirus and I don't think it covers Hurricanes if the resort is open.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!