I eat a lot of rabbit food.

monkeybird

Mouseketeer
Does anybody (@PrincessShmoo?) happen to have a picture of the salad dressing offerings at the buffet on the ships? Or alternately, does anybody know if there are any fat free salad dressings that also do not contain any animal products (dairy, eggs, chicken broth, bacon, gelatin, etc)? Thank you.

I've never taken a picture of it but I remember always seeing the common dressings. If you're vegan I'm sure they always have Italian and a vinaigrette. The usually have a red one like Catalina but I'm not sure what the ingredients are in that one. And ranch and blue cheese usually but those will have dairy.

On the Wonder in 2015, I was very disappointed in the limited salad offerings in general on the ship. Some days, the buffet had zero garden/green salad offerings. You could get a wilted, premade salad doused in ranch at the sandwich/fruit bar outside of the buffet, and there was not always a entree salad in the MDR. I specifically searched for really good entree style salads and did not have much luck. We were on board 14 nights...

I do not have a photo of the salad dressing but I remember eating Rach, Ceasar, Balsamic Vinger and Blue Cheese dressings. There were about 6 choices of salad dressings in the Cabanas on the Disney Wonder in May 2017.

However, I've read that people bring their own syrup on board so I do not see why you can't bring your own bottle (or two) of dressing and keep it in your fridge.

Every day I was in the Cabanas for Lunch there was salad.

----

http://www.plaidshirtyogapants.com

Aside from the pre made dressings (ranch, italian and ceasar on the magic a few weeks ago) there is also oil and vinegar in a different area (like by where the ketchup is).

Veggies are the one thing that I really find DCL lacks. I've actually chosen my dinners by what veggies come with it. Still, three brussels sprouts isn't what I'd call a side dish.

On the Wonder in 2015, I was very disappointed in the limited salad offerings in general on the ship. Some days, the buffet had zero garden/green salad offerings. You could get a wilted, premade salad doused in ranch at the sandwich/fruit bar outside of the buffet, and there was not always a entree salad in the MDR. I specifically searched for really good entree style salads and did not have much luck. We were on board 14 nights...

Did you ever ask your server for a salad to be made up that wasn't on the menu? My DD likes romaine lettuce with carrots and nothing else. On our last 3 cruises, we told our servers this the first night and every night after, they automatically brought this for her. I've also read of cruisers which have asked for entree salads not on the menu and the received them.

OP, I can't remember dressing choices other than there was an Italian, ranch, and oil and vinegar. As a PP mentioned, you could bring a bottle or two of your preferred dressing onto the ship.

On the last night I did ask for a duck salad without the duck as my appetizer. It was a decent size and was delicious. I know for my next cruise I will be more adventurous in my customized ordering. I just really like salad! I found that as long as I ate a salad with each dinner I was good to go.

I did find some cooked veggies every morning by the eggs benedicts and they were delicious.

I would just add that if you are vegan, put that notation on your reservation so that they can be more prepared to help accommodate you. Their vegetarian offerings are not necessarily vegan - but if they know in advance that you are vegan it will be easier for them to create dishes for you.

Just like any dietary need, the more notice and info you can give them, the better they will be able to serve you and the less likely you will wind up complaining that you were not accommodated.

How many sea days in a row? Salad doesn't keep long and I'd guess that would be a primary factor.

1) Let Dcl your dietary needs before you board.
2) Inform your servers your needs and desires when you meet them. They will try to work with you to make each meal a sucess, that is their job. If by salad you want any and all vegetables on your plate let them know.
3) On the first night there may be limited choice, but they will work with you to select food for the following nights since they can tell the kitchen your desires in advance.
4) when entering a buffet and tell them you have dietary restrictions and a chef will walk with you and tell you what is safe.

My daughter has dairy allergies and the first night there were only a couple of choices. At the end of the meal she was given the menu for the next night so she could choose whatever she wanted and they would prepare it dairy free, except for obvious items like the fried brie.

Make sure to have it noted on you this reservation that you're a vegan (assuming you are). We have cruised 3 times (one being a 2 week Panama Canal) with my DH eating vegan. Your best bet is at sit down meals because usually they are willing to prepare you something. We had fantastic luck and our head server ended up bringing delicious vegan dishes to share for our whole table.

Did you ever ask your server for a salad to be made up that wasn't on the menu? My DD likes romaine lettuce with carrots and nothing else. On our last 3 cruises, we told our servers this the first night and every night after, they automatically brought this for her. I've also read of cruisers which have asked for entree salads not on the menu and the received them.

OP, I can't remember dressing choices other than there was an Italian, ranch, and oil and vinegar. As a PP mentioned, you could bring a bottle or two of your preferred dressing onto the ship.

Well, a few times I asked if there was any green salad available and I was told no. So I did not specifically ask for a salad off the menu.

Thank you all for your replies. It sounds like I'll be packing some to be on the safe side.
Yes, I am a vegan and I did make a not of it in my reservation, but I appreciate you all looking out for me and mentioning it.

Pescatorian here and besides fish ate mostly fruits and veggies. I always asked for salad and was never turned down. Lovely fruit plate for desserts too! It's difficult in the buffet for salads daily but in the main dining rooms servers knew I always had a salad and they always had one. They had them made with different veggies each night, "not to get boring" they said but probably what was easiest. Either way they had it and offered it. I always asked for olive oil & Vinegar or Balsamic. Never went with the pre-made dressings, so can't comment on that, sorry
Definitely add vegan to your reservation because many sauces are made with butter and creams and such that adorn veggie sides. Also broths made with chicken or beef broth.

I eat a mostly vegan diet. Vegan protein is rare on the boat. Rare beans at salad bars and I never saw tofu or hummus. Peanut butter is available at salad bars if you ask. I didn't see any other nut butters. Oil and vinegar is available at salad bar. Tons of fresh fruit always available and steamed veggies without anything on them at kids section of buffet.

Vegetarian entrees at dinner were weak. I'd call and add it on to your reservation.

My daughter and I are both vegetarian. On the first night in the dining room we always ask our servers if we can have vegetarian Indian food and every night we are treated to wonderful authentic Indian food. I find the salad dressings to be very limited. We eat dairy and I would LOVE some decent blue cheese dressing but I have never seen it on the Fantasy. I often make a salad for my daughter at the fixings bar at Tomater's Grill by mixing catsup and mayonnaise together to make Thousand Island dressing and then putting the fixings bar ingredients on top of it.

If you let the head server know on the first night that you have dietary restrictions they will take great care of you and make sure you have plenty of healthy food at all your meals.

Veggies are the one thing that I really find DCL lacks. I've actually chosen my dinners by what veggies come with it. Still, three brussels sprouts isn't what I'd call a side dish.

I agree. It's not that there are no veggies, it's that they are served in very small portions. I also feel like the salad bar in Cabanas is pretty limited. It's there, but I've never found the options to be exciting. The buffet line ends up with what I think of as school cafeteria frozen veggie mixes (broccoli/cauliflower/carrots or peas/corn/carrots/Lima beans.)

Vegetarian Indian food is usually available if you ask in advance. It is not usually Vegan - Ghee and yogurt being common ingredients. On one of my cruises they had a couple of dishes at lunch each day representing the countries of the crew - Indian, Philippines, etc. I personally loved this!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter