I feel like I'm cheating!

...Dreams - I love your description!...

Just out of curiousity, what resort did you guys stay in (those DLR vets who have gone)? We are looking at mods, but might upgrade. I dunno...We don't have kids so the pool isn't necessarily a big draw for us. I'd to stay at the Boardwalk (I think it's that one). The one connected to EPCOT. It seems fun to go dine/drink "around the world" and walk back to your room.

Glad my description works for you. :goodvibes I remember standing at the end of Main Street at The MK and saying to DH, "Wait, that's not there. What's there? That's supposed to be - wait, ok, this is mixed up." hahaha!

Resorts...

We REALLY wanted to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge. The last time we had been to WDW (1993) there was no AK, we love animals, and it was just where we wanted to be. That said, this was our 10 year anniversary trip. We had gone on a cruise for our honeymoon and had our wedding overlooking the ocean. So - a little part of me wanted to stay at a Resort with water. This lead to researching The Boardwalk, The Yacht Club, and the Beach Club.

We ruled out the Boardwalk because they could not GUARANTEE a room with a view of the lake which (for us) was the entire reason to stay at YC. Their "water view" is either a pool or lakeview. After several phone calls to try to clarify if there was anyway to be sure we could get a lake view, the Boardwalk was out. So that took us to the Beach Club and the Yacht Club. After asking / researching, we were told overall that the Beach Club was more family-oriented while the Yacht Club was a bit classier, and possibly nicer for a couple, as opposed to travelling with kids. So...

We did a split stay. 5 nights at the AKL (absolutely amazing, fabulous, dying to go back!) and 3 nights at the Yacht Club. We had a Savannah View at AKL and a lake view at YC. We were originally set for 4 and 4, but loved the AKL sooooo much, we shifted it to 5 and 3.

While staying at the YC our view was of the lake and across to the Boardwalk. Beautiful. We went to the Boardwalk each night to hang out and enjoy. It's not difficut to do at all from the YC. One thought that was given to me by a fellow DIS'er was that when you are staying at the Boardwalk, remember there is the sound of the Boardwalk going-ons below you. When you are across the way at the YC, there isn't. :)

Let me know if I can answer any specific questions for you.

- Dreams

Just out of curiousity, what resort did you guys stay in (those DLR vets who have gone)? We are looking at mods, but might upgrade. I dunno...We don't have kids so the pool isn't necessarily a big draw for us. I'd to stay at the Boardwalk (I think it's that one). The one connected to EPCOT. It seems fun to go dine/drink "around the world" and walk back to your room.

We've stayed at Caribbean Beach (moderate), the Dolphin (deluxe), and off-site at a condo/villa property. The Dolphin is our favorite, although it is not owned and operated by Disney. If you're looking to stay in the Epcot area, but don't have the budget for the Boardwalk or Yacht & Beach Club, the Swan/Dolphin can be an excellent alternative. It offers many discounts (i.e. if you are a teacher or other government employee).

It doesn't have an overwhelming Disney feel and you miss out on a few perks (most notably, the Disney dining plan and Magical Express airport transportation are not available to Swan/Dolphin guests, and you can't charge park purchases to your room), but the location and price are great for an Epcot area deluxe resort. Others dislike it because it is not "Disney" enough, but we get our Disney fix just being on WDW property. :goodvibes

I have stayed at
Dixie Landings x 3
Coronado Springs
Wilderness Lodge x2
Shades of green x3
Contemporary
Dolphin x2
Swan x5

We have never been disappointed. Anyone who can stay at Shades of green should. Best value on Disney property.I think Wilderness Lodge is incredible, boat to MK, then easy monorail to Epcot. But we return to the Swan over and over because of the ability to walk/boat to two parks, and the great value.Of course Starbucks in room coffee dosen't hurt either!

I am going to recommend Mariezp's current TR in the works about her recent 2-week holiday adventure at WDW (her family's very first visit to WDW):

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2362766

Some of you may know Marie from this side of the DIS, as she is a DLR vet who did an epic TR for her almost 2-week holiday 2008 trip to DLR (called "It's Gonna Be a Long One").

I am a DLR girl through and through, but DBF and I are planning a big trip to WDW! So excited! Although, whenever I start planning all the restaurants we're going to try, and all the parks (and what order to do them in), I feel a sad twinge in my stomach. It feels like I am leaving poor DLR for a newer, flashier model...I could never leave my old faithful though!

On that note, I am curious as to what DL vets think of WDW. Any tips? I know there is a thread for WDW vets coming to DLR, but I am I would love some personal stories or tips for the reverse.
There are no words I can tell you that will adequately prepare you for how much more walking you have to do at WDW to actually experience less attractions than at DL. It is absolutely mind boggling the first time you visit.

Perhaps the best advise I can give is to make sure you experience the things WDW has that DL doesn't. For example, the World Pavillion at EPCOT, DL can never have this as there simply isn't enough room. Also, be sure to ride Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom, (the best ride at any Disney park in my opinion) and Test Track at Epcot - Everest is like the Matterhorn on Steroids, and Test Track will give you a sneak peek at the technology that will be used in the Radiator Springs Racers ride opening at CA in 2012.

Enjoy your trip, it'll be a blast!

Disney Dreams
- If you MUST make comparisons, the comparison is Disneyland to The Magic Kingdom. And the best way to describe this is: Imagine your house. Now imagine another (duplicate) of your house, but as you walk through, the furniture isn't quite in the right place, the pictures on the walls are sllghtly different than yours, and the collectibles are a mix of yours and ones you've never seen before. It feels like home, but it's not. It seems familiar, but different at the exact same time. That's the best way I can describe it.

There is no better way describe this. You hit it on the head!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter