i feel terrible (OT)

alohacousin

Disability is a matter of perception. If you can d
I have mixed feelings about what happened today. At my daughter's elementary school we have 2 handicapped spots. I have to arrive 20-30 minutes early to get a handicapped space. Almost everyday someone without a permit will park there to save time. This gets my blood boiling! The school ignores it so today i see a car there and another car parked between the handicapped spaces i decided enough was enough so i called the police. They came and handed out tickets. it turns out the one car in the space was a teachers who sprained her ankle who had the permission from the principal to park there. How was i to know? but then i thought she gets there early couldn't she of parked next to the handicapped space that is saved for teacher of the week? I feel bad but then i don't. What do you think?

The Moore Family leaving for disney fw cabins in 2 weeks!
:wave:

You did just what you should have done. Unless that teacher had a temporary handicapped tag she had no right to use a handicapped spot and the principal had no right to tell her it was fine. And if you are given any grief by the teacher or principal I would file a grievance with the superintendent of schools and if that goes nowhere go to the papers.
We have 6 of us on staff with handicapped tags at our school and none of us use the handicapped spaces. The distance in the parking lots are not large enough that it makes a difference. Only 4 handicapped spots. There are actually closer spots to some of the classrooms than the handicapped spots.

I totally agree with lisapooh. I don't think you should feel guilty. If she had a sprained ankle, she could get a temporary handicapped permit for her car. The principal had no right to "give" her the designated handicapped spot. A more appropriate thing for the principal to do would have been to designate another spot for her. Possibly, he could have told her to park in the teacher of the week spot.

Don't feel guilty! It is upsetting to me that someone like a principal has no clue as to the legal status of HP spaces and feels he can just dole out exemptions at will. Heaven forbid the Teacher of the week be asked to volunteer that space.There is a legal number of HP spaces dicated by the overall number of spaces in a parking lot. Does your school know this and are they in compliance? I have had a two year "discussion"at my job for a Van accessible space. Finally there is one. It is so very tiring to continue battling these issues.

I definitely wouldn't feel bad about this!!! Believe me, I'm going to have the same problem come Monday, when my daughter attends preschool.... There are only 2 spots, and even if I get one of those spots, I have to figure out how to get her the 50 feet to the door as the staff can offer no assistance!! She's nearly 4, not old enough to walk herself... I might still just pull up to the front doors... it's only a 20 foot walk.... But, in your situation, I'd have done the same thing!!!

You absolutely did the right thing. Bravo, most would'nt have the courage to speak up.

You did the right thing! I have a freind who is a county policeman. He drove into a retail parking lot & found vehicles without any handicapped tags. He issued tickets to anyone parked in a handicapped spot without the tags. The teacher with the sprained ankle should have received a ticket if she did not have at least a temporary tag.

As everyone else has said, don't feel guilty - you did nothing wrong. What I don't understand is why the principal didn't offer the teacher his/her own spot - forget the Teacher of the Month's spot!

A number of years ago, my older sister (a jr high teacher) was extremely ill from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and was having difficulty getting into the building. She had polio when she was young, but refused to get a placard to use the HP spot. No one ever suggested she use the HP spot. Her principal had her drive up to the building & park on a macadam area just outside a door near her classroom (without blocking access.)

The point is that alternative answers can be found with a little thought.

When entering a Disney World park parking lot, ask a lot CM for a space (there are several) next to the tram lane. Some of the regularly marked handicapped spaces are some distance from the tram lane.

Managers of schools and other establishments with parking lots may designate additional handicapped spaces at any time, even if this resembles (smacks of) the creation of personal parking spaces. In the example above, the principal should ahve created several more handicapped spaces instead of giving away one of the two that were already marked.

The general rule in the U.S. is that handicapped drivers with permits are "exempt from overstay and meterfeed", i.e. they may park for an unlimited length of time in any public metered space without paying, except during prohibited hours such as for street cleaning that apply to everybody. While it is wise to check in advance, if handicapped spaces among metered spaces lack meters, then this general rule is in effect in that town.

More Disney tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

9/65 Disneyland
3/75 (World Inn* off I4 near DD)
4/85 (Kon-Tiki* on 192)
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 PORiv
9/97 ASMu
11/98 ASMu
12/98 (Knights Inn on 192)
9/99 ASMo
12/00 ASSp
9/01 ASSp
11/01 ASSp still planned
*no longer exists

Don't feel bad. I kind of wondered if that teacher felt bad parking there for a bad sprained ankle. I would have. My brother has a handicapped sign for his car because he has cerebral palsy. He used to have a really tough time walking and we finally encouraged him to join Weight Watchers to shed some of those pounds. He has lost 47 lbs. and we park in other spaces now because he doesn't really need the spot anymore. Obviously some days are harder than others but it is encouraging!

Kim ºOº

I agree with what everyone has posted. You did the right thing, and hopefully everyone was educated on the correct use of handicapped spots. I can't remember where I read about parking in a handicapped space while the handicapped person waits in the car, but I thought I would share an experince I had while we were away this weekend. My spouse had parked in the handicapped spot and both of us had gone into the mall. We went in different directions, and unfortunately I took a tumble. Some very nice people helped me back to the car (fortunately I had my key with me), and I sat there and waited for my spouse to show up. He knows that sometimes I need to go back to the car early because of falls or tiredness, and when I don't show up at a previously agreed upon meeting place, he goes to the car to check and see if I am there. And while I would never park in a handicapped spot withoug my sticker, I sometimes do end up going back to the car early and sit there to wait for my spouse.

Hey guys here is the update on the handicapped space at school. Still have been seeing red why so many parents park in this space when they do not have a permit. I am not talking once in a blue moon. Everyday and sometimes one parent after another. This past week My hubby met me up at dismissal time to pick up our other 2 children while kelsey & I stayed for an IEP meeting. My husband Rick was getting our 2 year old out of my vehicle after i had to circle 2 times to wait for unauthorized parent to pull out of the space. (At this time the parking lot is jammed with parents) A mom pulled in jumped out to make a dash to pick her child up. Rick who i might add does not have the patient polite mannerisms I have walked up to this mom and asked to see her handicapped permit. Which she said she had none but only intended to be there just a few seconds. Rick went on to tell her she is breaking the law. She replied you are breaking the law by harassing me. Rick replies If i ever see you in this space again I am calling the police. Her reply....(at this time ALL parents are looking & i hope i am allowed to share this on this site) Gave a flip of the finger. I could not believe it!!!!!! I talked with the school and were told an announcement would go home in the newsletter. When I returned home I called a detective at the police department. And as he so graciously put it "It doesn't matter if this person is there 1 second or 1 hour they are still breaking the law.He notified The school district's security to patrol the area. After I hung up I thought that is not enough I am writing a letter to the editor. I received a phone call today they will be printing my letter. The letter really released alot of stress.When the letter is published I will share the link.
Renae
May God grant us the wisdom & patience to educated those who cannot truely see;)

Thanks for sharing Renae.
I applaud you for not giving up. It's amazing to me that peole think they can use the handicapped spot for "just a minute" and don't realize that if everyone uses it for "just a minute", it will never be free for someone who really has a right to park there. Between having not many spots and our need for a spot where we can put out our ramp, we have enough trouble finding a spot. Especially in Christmas shopping time, we frequently drive all the way to the store, just to find that we can't park, so our shopping trip is over without ever getting out of the van. parking far away isn't an option for us in the winter. Wheelchairs just don't do well in slush/snow and DD gets way too chilled in cold whether to be traipsing all over the parking lot.

Sue,
I share you problem with Van assessible spaces. I know many with HP plates/placards do not understand what a Van space is. I can't count the number of times I see someone pull into a Van spot when they don't need it and there are plenty of regular HP spaces available. I had people park in the hash marks and say they have HP plates so it's ok. I try to explain how important it is for that space to be vacant. I think a driver's test should include the rules for HP parking. And when an HP permit is granted the receiving party should sign an acknowlegement of the rules for HP parking.
Sorry to rant but this affects my ability to remain independent and somehow it hurts when people you think should know better don't.

Bravo on taking action. I have found in the last few years people are really ignorant of things like a handicapped spot until it affects them directly. Which I find very sad. Let us know if you get any more reaction to your pro-action. Again bravo!

Nanajo1, I sometimes end up parking in a van accessible parking spot, although I only do so when there are no other handicapped spots available. It seems to me that the problem is not enough spots are available. And sometimes by the time I come back to the car, the non-van spots are open that weren't open when I parked there. I just hope that others aren't assuming that I took the van spot on a whim, but because there weren't other spots open at the time I arrived in the parking lot. I did check with our department of motor vehicles, and they told me that all that was required to park in a handcapped, van accessible spot was a valid handicapped sticker, as they don't have any special "van only" handicapped stickers.

Dont feel guilty you did the right thing, i just cant believe that the school would allow her to park there - if her ankle was so bad maybe she shouldnt of been drving at all.

Well done.

Emma

I do agree there are not enough handicapped parking spots. It's also true that there is no way to tell whether or not it was the only spot available when the person with a car parked there. :) at Figaro
But, on numerous occassions, I have seen people pull in to those spots with a car when there are other (just as close) spots available. When I have talked to people about it, most were not aware that that some of the spots were bigger for vans. Most didn't even notice. The people who had noticed at all didn't know what the sign meant, so they parked there. I think some education, like Nanajo suggested would be a good thing.
There will always be some times when the van spot is the only one available and someone is parking there (legally) with a car with a handicapped plate or hangtag. But at least, people would be thinking about it when they park there.

Figaro,
I don't judge what I don't see. I give the benefit of the doubt unless I actually see someone using a Van Spot when other spots are available. I'm not very confrontational so I don't say something unless I sense the folks are approachable and then I try an FYI tact. I don't judge anyone's disability to be more or less important than mine. If you need and are entitled to HP parking you should use it. My dismay is with folks that don't know the importance of Van spots to those of us who need them. There are some places I can not go by myself, like my MD office because I have been trapped unable to get in my car because someone parked in the hash marks. This makes me feel more handicapped than my disability. Please be assured I know and respect the needs of all of us who need HP parking.
God bless us all.

Not only should you not feel bad about it but you did a great thing! I would suggest that if the problem persists, you double park and block the offending party in (if it isn't dangerous). If they complain tell them you will just be a minute.;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter