I found this interesting

Kevin&Randall

Mouseketeer
From USA Today:

S.F. GIVES BATTLESHIP THE HEAVE-HO.

In the two years since the USS Midway found a permanent dock in San Diego Harbor, it has become a major tourist attraction. Nearly 900,000 people have boarded the aircraft carrier in its first year of operation, rejuvenating shops and restaurants on the waterfront. Now the Navy has another ship in wants to bestow on a West Coast port, the big World War II battleship USS Iowa.

But the San Francisco Board of Supervisors voted 8-3 to spurn the ship. Supervisors who oppose the offer say they don't want a ship from a military in which openly gay men and women cannot serve. Now Stockton, a farm hub in California's Central Valley, wants to place the Iowa at its freshwater port up the San Joaquin River from San Francisco Bay.

Randall

:rainbow:

Wow, as much as I disagree with the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy and history of anti-gay disciimination, I still think this is a bit extreme. It definitely is a piece of history after all.

On a side note, I used to serve mass on the Midway as a kid! Back when our family was stationed in Yokosuka, Japan from 74-80, my brother and I used to be good little altar boys and do our duty every Sunday aboard this ship. As soon as mass was over, however, our cassock and surplus was dumped, we'd ditch Father and RUN through the ship!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter