I gave somebody wrong directions at WDW and feel bad about it

Discussion in 'The DIS Unplugged Podcast' started by disneysteve, Nov 4, 2018.

1. disneysteve

disneysteve DIS meet junkie

We are currently at WDW. Last night, we were in Pandora and a woman asked me a simple question (which way the boat ride was). I mistakenly pointed her toward FOP instead. By the time I realized my mistake, she was gone.

I'm always the first to complain when people are spouting off like they know what they're talking about when they're completely wrong and then I go and do the same thing. Shame on me. Hopefully she found her way.

In my defense, it was very dark, as it always is in Pandora at night, and I've only been there a couple of times before so I'm not nearly as familiar with it as I am with the rest of the park.

On the flip side, we had a nice conversation on the monorail earlier in the day when a woman standing next to us was telling her friend a couple of things that weren't quite right so first my wife chimed in nicely to fill in some correct details. Once the woman realized we knew what we were talking about, she asked a few other questions (and I know we answered all of them correctly).

2. hertamaniac

hertamaniac Give me 95 degrees everyday

To me, this is a slippery slope if I decide to interject. I want to help folks visiting the parks that may not have a plethora of experience, but don't want to come across as all-knowing or pompous. However, in almost all cases it is met with genuine gratitude and I feel happy I could share some information that can make their experience even better.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. disneysteve

disneysteve DIS meet junkie

Exactly. Most of the time we don’t engage. But when we can do so in an informational way rather than a correctional way, it typically is well received.

5. AMusicLifeForMe

AMusicLifeForMe DIS Veteran

I try not to engage with people that are totally saying things that are wrong. Sometimes I can't resist. I do try to give people help if they ask while I'm standing in line or somewhere though. Sometimes I answer their question or I direct them to ask a Cast Member just because I'm afraid to give wrong information.

I arrive tomorrow. Maybe I'll run into you? :)

SorcererHeidi and disneysteve like this.
  6. ewrtomco

ewrtomco Earning My Ears

Do not worry I have also given wrong directions

7. GAN

GAN DIS Veteran

Steve ...I can relate. I find nighttime in Pandora a little disorienting -not sure if it’s because I’m not totally familiar or because I’m generally focused on the lighting and other surroundings.

8. mcd2745

mcd2745 These Mickey pretzels are making me thirsty!

It happens. I know it sucks and you feel bad, but your intentions were in the right place. I'm sure they found it eventually.

SorcererHeidi likes this.
  9. Spencer Wright

Spencer Wright Constantly craving a zebra dome...

Easy enough mistake to make. Hopefully they still have a lot of CM's around the FOP area who were able to redirect them quickly enough!! I imagine they found there way very quickly.

10. wariokartel

wariokartel Earning My Ears

Don't feel bad, just gotta do the best you can. Never done it at WDW, but in Chicago I have mistakenly given the wrong directions to tourist asking for help many times and it always feels bad. 99/100 you'd probably have been spot on.

disneysteve likes this.
  11. SorcererHeidi

SorcererHeidi Sorcerer please cast forever love spell for me

Been there, done that - both in WDW, and other places. But like others have said - as long as your (and my) intentions were good, that's all that counts!

12. andy117

andy117 Earning My Ears DVC Gold

If you gave directions to someone like me I may have gotten lost anyway. I have the worst sense of direction.

Alicenwonderment and disneysteve like this.
  13. Jennasis

Jennasis DIS life goes on

My family members have been known to loudly discuss incorrect info just to rile up the pros (like me) LOL. Like riding the monorail to MK and talking about how they can't wait to get on that Harry Potter ride inside the castle...or walking past SSE at Epcot and loudly proclaiming "don't know what those people are waiting on line for...there's nothing in that golf ball" or "it's a walking ride, and you have to walk all the way to the top of the ball".

They're sooo much fun.

DisDreaming4116 and disneysteve like this.
  14. kniquy

kniquy DIS Veteran

Unfortunately those of us here who are seasoned and knowledgeable WDW peeps often hear false information. It notoriously happens at work -- I over hear a co-worker telling another co-worker how she went to WDW stayed at a value resort and had the meal plan to eat in the resort food court. She believed that was the only location that her dining plan worked. Or another co-working thinking about her first visit to WDW in 2 months and that Harry potter is there. I have to be careful how i correct and redirect them.

SorcererHeidi likes this.
  15. Lisa F

Lisa F is a very wise woman

Don't feel bad, I'm sure they found their way. It's very confusing around there!

disneysteve likes this.