I hate drug abuse...

Aside from all abusers there are people that benefit from the use of legally prescribed opiates under a doctor's supervision.

Several people in my family use them for Bi polar 2 & panic disorder. Extended release Xanax can be a wonderful thing for people suffering from mental illness.

There is an upside here. It is not all negative.
Is Xanax an opiate? I did not know that. I assumed it was some type of tranquilizer or mild sedative.

Addiction can and is something people overcome every day! Sadly, its a terrible part of our lives, but was in the 1800s too, and I'm sure their were alcoholics and other types of substance abusers throughout history. People can get better and go on to have very productive lives! A lot of substance abuse is also an escape mechanism due to other issues (abuse being a huge one, but of course a whole slate of mental illness), but so many people do recover. I've seen all different methods in my volunteer work, the single point of commonality in all of them - aa/na, faith based, rehab, therapy, cold turkey, whatever - was that they wanted to quit. So many people end up in rehab that have no interest in quitting. I'm not saying by any stretch of the imagination that recovery is easy if you just "want to" but the people that are truly determined to stop, keep working at it until they can/do.

I do agree that in most recovery situations the person has to want to change, I did experience a caveat to this...a jail program. So, in that area parents could get legal guardianship of their adult children, if they were a danger to themselves or others due to drugs, and then place them in a jail recovery program. I don't think any actual charges were involved, but there were conditions to be released (unlike a rehab that you can just leave if you want to), and then you were on a probation of sorts for awhile after release. A guy I know, who previously had to be brought back multiple times by Narcan, was a graduate of this program and he actively helped parents of addicts get their adult children into the program. He's been clean for I think a decade now and has a great life with a family, house, great job, and is active in his church. It can definitely be a controversial program, though.

Pretty much all of the cases I know of that were in other recovery programs had a relapse (sometimes more than once) along the way and then ultimately became clean if that was what they really wanted. Then all the people who really didn't want it (other people wanted it for them), eventually went back to using and never changed.

My bad. It is still a benzo, which is highly addictive.

Mothers Little Helpers. Back in the day they were as common as muck. People ended up just addicted to the things. My Gran went to the grave addicted to Lorazepam. Mind you, when used with restraint, they can still be useful, treating anxiety or panic attacks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!