I have no brain but I must plan - a solo Feb 2019 pre-trip report

RedK

Mouseketeer
Hi all
First PTR here! I'm a professional planner, but right now I feel like I am behind the curve. Follow along and help me make some decisions. Your advice is very welcome!!!!

This will be my 4th trip to WDW. Six years ago was my first trip, a 5 day 3 family extravaganza in September. Two years later, I did a 4 day with a friend. Then I was scheduled for a 7-day Sept 2017 trip with a few days solo and a few days with a friend, but Hurricane Irma came along and I cancelled it. I ended up going in Feb 2018 and had a great time. My friend was able to join me for a few days, and it was awesome. That was the first time I'd ever gone away somewhere sunny in the dark cold days of the year, and it made such a difference to my mood for months. A Disney February trip may be my new normal, and it's my birthday, so I deserve it!

I spent about two weeks checking availability and costs. I like the moderates, and I've stayed in both CS and POFQ. I admit to dreaming over Wilderness Lodge and the Poly but I can't afford them. CS is my favorite of the moderates. I love the atmosphere, the decor, sitting by the lake with a drink, and I was able to watch fireworks from my room in Casitas 4. No idea which park they were, but it was a wonderful surprise. Yet when I looked over the costs, availability and timelines, I ended up booking a week at POFQ garden room 02/08-02/16 on a room-only deal. That means I get home late on a Saturday and still have Sunday and Presidents day to catch up on laundry etc. before heading back to work. I have always done the Magic Your Way package in the past, but from a co-worker I found out I can buy park tickets through work and save about $100. I love a bargain!

Usually I'm a buy-everything-when-I-first-book person. The Southwest tickets for February are still full fare, and I **think** I remember that they usually go on sale sometime October-ish. Does anyone know for sure?

My plan is to fly down in the afternoon, hopefully on the SW flight that lands around 4-5pm. I'm going to want to get to bed by 9:30 so I can hit the park early the next day. When do you think the Disney Magic Luggage Handlers are likely to deliver the luggage? I'm torn whether to let them handle it because it makes life so easy, or pick it up at baggage claim because I can be sure I'll have it in time to go to bed when I want. I will definitely be riding the Magical Express. I love how Disney makes the vacation so easy for me. That's one of the reasons I do Disney instead of something else. Well, that and I love Disney lol.

I'm one of those crazy morning people. I wake up early naturally, and I'm even cheerful when I awake. My friends have always joked that if I'm ever found murdered, it will be because I was too happy too early in the morning to some grumpy "normal" person. But I counter that I make coffee and breakfast, and we agree that I'm allowed to live lol.

Usually I'm a rope drop girl and I fade in the evening. The only evening show I've seen is Fantasmic. My goal this trip is to see Illuminations, Happily Ever After, the Star Wars Spectacular, and the Tree of Life Awakening and Pandora at night. I can't decide if I'm going to rope drop mornings and take an afternoon break, or just go to the parks late. I don't have the endurance to do an open-to-close.

I loved the BOMA breakfast during my last trip, and I want to do that one day. I am also a big Via Napoli fan and that will be another ADR. I love wine, so I'm planning a visit to Wine Bar George at Disney Springs my first night. But beyond that, I have to admit, I'm kind of drawing a blank. Until I know the park schedule and my general park approach, I can't figure out where to get ADRs. And my 180 day window opens up in just a couple of weeks. ARGH!

At MK - I've never ridden the Astro Orbiter or the Liberty Belle - hopefully I'll be able to do both of those this time. I know its not glamorous but I love the People Mover and the train. I have to do those at least once. At HS, I want to try SDD and I gotta do Star Tours. I'd like to see the Indy Jones Stunt Spectacular if I can. Epcot requires at least one trip on Soarin', and a couple of times on Living with the Land. For Animal Kingdom, FoP is a must. That is the most incredible ride! I like ITTBAB in part because you get to see the Tree of Life carvings from all sorts of different angles. Last trip I wasn't in a roller coaster mood, but I'm kinda missing EE. Hopefully I'll manage to do it this time.

And that's where I am in my planning. I have a resort reservations, good intentions, and no clue. February 2019 can't come soon enough!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!