I just booked an October 2020 Cruise as a Gamble

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshF

Mouseketeer
I booked a HOHS cruise on the Wonder in mid October 2020 as a gamble today. I'm thinking that either it will be allowed to sail and the ship will be way less crowded than normal, or the CDC will not allow cruises in October and I get a credit to be used towards a future cruise.

Does anyone know how far in advance the CDC typically issues guidelines if they are going to cancel October Cruises? Also, I wonder if CA will have their own regulations.

I'm actually hoping we do sail and they have good safety measures in place. Also curious when the cruise safety guidelines will be released.

I booked a HOHS cruise on the Wonder in mid October 2020 as a gamble today. I'm thinking that either it will be allowed to sail and the ship will be way less crowded than normal, or the CDC will not allow cruises in October and I get a credit to be used towards a future cruise.

Does anyone know how far in advance the CDC typically issues guidelines if they are going to cancel October Cruises? Also, I wonder if CA will have their own regulations.

I'm actually hoping we do sail and they have good safety measures in place. Also curious when the cruise safety guidelines will be released.
This October? The Wonder has already sailed back through the Panama Canal to Florida.

I doubt she's headed back to the west coast this year.

The CDC isn't the one canceling the cruises, it's the cruise lines themselves. If they can't meet the CDC requirements for starting cruises, then the ships can't sail out of US ports.

Does Disneyland even have a start date? If California is not allowing Disneyland to open, I seriously doubt they will allow cruising. That's not even taking into account the CDC.

I don't think it's up to California whether cruising will be allowed or not.

So if CDC gives green light, is cruising exempt from Cali's shutdown orders? I'm not sure where cruising would fall in their opening phases. I know they've had setbacks lately because their positive tests and death rates went up.

So if CDC gives green light, is cruising exempt from Cali's shutdown orders? I'm not sure where cruising would fall in their opening phases. I know they've had setbacks lately because their positive tests and death rates went up.
Both have to line up. If the CDC says yes but California says not from our port... Nope.

But Wonder won't be re-crewing and paying to transit the Canal empty for the Riviera cruises. The cost of transit is way too high even if we overlook the issue of needing a crew.

Both have to line up. If the CDC says yes but California says not from our port... Nope.

But Wonder won't be re-crewing and paying to transit the Canal empty for the Riviera cruises. The cost of transit is way too high even if we overlook the issue of needing a crew.
And I honestly think the CDC will be more strict than California.

That's what I thought. I knew the states had some say so because when this all started I remember CA gov would not let a cruise ship dock in San Fran and they were stuck out there.

I think we're all overlooking the elephant in the room. People are buying cruises that leave out of CA in a few weeks and are honestly hoping they sail? Say what?
I have my doubts about people who make such claims. I get that the cruise is still on the website, but really? Use a little common sense.

I'm not trying to be a downer and I truly wish you well in life but I do not think the chances of that cruise going out is very good. I would love for your cruise to go out and for me to be wrong, so I'm rooting for you. In the meantime I would recommend having a back up itinerary that you could move your FCC to just in case. I'm saying this as someone in the same boat, I have a cruise on the Dream that is supposed to leave in 8 weeks but I purchased it last year not knowing what we know now.

This October? The Wonder has already sailed back through the Panama Canal to Florida.

I doubt she's headed back to the west coast this year.

The CDC isn't the one canceling the cruises, it's the cruise lines themselves. If they can't meet the CDC requirements for starting cruises, then the ships can't sail out of US ports.
I booked the Wonder today for Oct 16th. So they are still selling them. It's active on their website.

I booked the Wonder today for Oct 16th. So they are still selling them. It's active on their website.

And now they have your money to use. That’s why they are still selling them. They don’t have to cancel until they feel like it. Interest free loan as the above poster said. You have, I believe, until 15 days prior to cancel? They can cancel on day 14.

With the two cruise lines in the news with cases of Covid19, I am sure it will be considered more deeply than ever before whether to cruise or not.

They need 60+ days to staff a ship, after approval from the CDC to sail. Gets us to October 1 already, assuming the CDC came out with guidelines tomorrow. (And they won't!)

And they need to pay a half mil plus to sail.an empty ship through the Canal to do those west coast cruises.

The math does not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!