I know this is about scrapbooking but does anyone out there colorize ...

mum4jenn

<font color=purple>My dd is the love of my life!!<
Does anyone out there colorize..... the sepia toned photos??? My dd school took old timey photos and for 260.00 you could have a big one colorized. I went to Michaels to buy the materials but have been scared to try it yet. Does anyone out there do this and do you have any pointers before I ruin the pictures I did buy???

I've never tried it, but it sure looks like fun. :) I would hate to ruin expensive portraits too. How about shooting a roll of B&W film and practicing on them first?

I colorized a black and white photo at the Great American Scrapbook convention last year. They were selling the supplies at a booth and letting people try it out. It was a lot easier than you'd think. I'd really like to get a set, but I seldom take black and white photos. I can't remember the name of the company, but it was the tubes of "paint" instead of the "crayon" type.

We just put a tiny amount on a cotton swab and touched it to the area where we wanted color. Then we used a cotton ball to make little circles and remove some of the color. You continue rubbing until you get the amount of color desired.

They did tell us that the finish on your photos matters. To be honest, I can't remember if you needed matte or glossy prints. I think the one I did had a matte finish, but I can't remember. I did a photo of a bouquet of flowers and I kept it. I made it to match my bed/bathroom. One of these days, I may mat and frame it. It turned out really pretty!

Hope this helps a little.

I'd definitely recommend practicing first. You can use the Kodak or Fuji photo copiers at photo shops or Target to copy pictures in black and white, even from color. It may be faster and a little cheaper than shooting a whole roll of black and white.

I took a B&W photo tinting class a few years ago and we used the paints with the swab technique as well. I bought the "Marshall's Photo Coloring System Oils" as well as a can of "Marshall's Pre-Color Spray" Of course they are still sitting on my shelf never opened, but reading the directions inside it says "glossy prints, polaroid prints, glossy snapshots, newspaper and magazine pictures can be colored if first given a coating of Marshall's Pre-Color Spray" It doesn't say anything about sepia tone pictures, the only thing is says is to instruct your photo finisher to use matte paper, not glossy. I found these products at Michael's. I'd sure hate to ruin an expensive photo, but it kind of sounds like as long as it has a matte finish the oils work.

I think practicing on a copy of your photo sounds like an excellent idea. Then if you don't like it, you haven't messed up your original.

Yummy, sounds like you worked with the same supplies. Marshall's sounds very familiar. I found it very easy to use, but I didn't have the added pressure of using my own photo! :D

I haven't tried the Marshall's oil system, but I have colored about a dozen photos using SpotPens. You pre-moisten your photo with included liquid, then color with the markers. It's so easy, it's almost a joke :jester:

About a year ago, I read some article on the net from a woman who gave tips, including: if you just don't like the result, soak the photo in this liquid & start over. As hard as it is to think of getting "water" on my photos, all photos are processed using liquid chemicals.

Enjoy, because it's really fun to do, especially from someone who can't draw or paint, at all!

Thanks everyone.I had already bought some of thespot pens and had thought about taking them back but I think I will give it a try. I bought the distilled water tonight and since it comes with a sample picture I will at least try that.I will let everyone know how it turns out!!

Mum4jen: SpotPens has changed management since I bought mine. You mentioned distilled water...please tell me what the instructions say about distilled water...

thanks!

The distilled water is used with the little bottle of fluid that comes with the starter kit.One tsp. of fluid mixed with 32 oz. of distilled water.This is used to wet your photo before using the pens.

I tried the sample last night and it came out looking very nice. Very easy to use. It says in the instructions that using the photo maker machines will not work because they use a plastic coated photo paper. I tried the system on one of my dd sepia toned photos and it came out ok but not as good as the black and white one. Some colors do well but the darker ones look too dark. Will take some more experimenting

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!