"I Know What You're Going To Say" - France Sept 2019 - Update 1/5 Disneyland Paris, Dinner & Home

Trip Updates:

Two major updates!

1st
We're Officially Booked! Disneyland Paris still does that wonderful thing where the room rate is the same the entire time of your trip so you don't have a different rate per day. Because of this - it made sense for us to get there on Thursday rather than Friday due to the nightly room cost.

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 5.25.12 PM.png

My husband decided against the 36K challenge as he doesn't like the idea of running two races within 12 hours of each other.
We have tickets for Friday, Saturday, Sunday only as I figured Thursday we may be at a winery or doing other things in Paris. The overall price was less than I was expecting as well as I had prebudgeted 4K for the cost of the hotel/races for the trip. This makes me happy!

2nd
When reviewing our updated invoice from Tauck, I found this awesome note under additional info:

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 5.29.00 PM.png

That makes me excited! I don't have to worry about getting it into our plans now!

I'm glad you got it booked, are those US dollars? That's quite a few expensive days!

Following along from your WDW Trip Report.

You won't regret the Disneyland Hotel! Yup, it is expensive, but everytime I passed it on my way back to Sequoia, I wished I could have just stayed there! I would try to hit Inventions for dinner. Yes it's a buffet, but it was my favorite meal at DLP!

I'm glad you got it booked, are those US dollars? That's quite a few expensive days!

Well...the Tauck portion is almost 7 times that for 12 nights versus the 4 nights so it didn't seem as bad. Either way its fully paid off now so I don't have to think about that money again. I need to work on paying for the Tauck portion though!

Following along from your WDW Trip Report.

You won't regret the Disneyland Hotel! Yup, it is expensive, but everytime I passed it on my way back to Sequoia, I wished I could have just stayed there! I would try to hit Inventions for dinner. Yes it's a buffet, but it was my favorite meal at DLP!

Thanks for following along! The Sequoia does seem decent as well but if I only am going to make it here once in my life, might as well do it up! Being above the hotel seems like such a cool experience! This trip might mean we do China in 2021 rather than 2020 but thats ok. We can just do more WDW in 2020 then.

Flights Booked

Just a short update! We purchased our flights tonight as the prices were decent. We originally wanted to fly out of Fort Myers as the drive across Alligator Alley was horrible when we returned from Italy in October 2017. When we started looking at flights, it was going to be at least $1600 per person for basic economy. Um, no. With that, I looked at Fort Lauderdale and Miami. Fort Lauderdale was a bit cheap around $580 per person but there was a layover in New York or I could get Miami for $700 per person for a direct flight. It ended up being $1660 after I decided to pay for the Duo Seats on each of the flights as I rather not sit next to random people for a 9.5 hour flight and Standard Economy so that luggage was included as well.

Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 7.14.22 PM.png

Hey there! Joining in on your planning adventures! Looks like it will be such a great trip.

My DH and I will be in France in September as well! Ours will be a much shorter trip (darn that restricted PTO) but the Tauck plans gave me some good ideas!

Hey there! Joining in on your planning adventures! Looks like it will be such a great trip.

My DH and I will be in France in September as well! Ours will be a much shorter trip (darn that restricted PTO) but the Tauck plans gave me some good ideas!

Thank you for joining in! Yeah PTO sucks. I'm having to take 6 days of it unpaid but at least I'm allowed to take time off unpaid. I'm kinda hoping I get some comp time between now and September as well.

I would love to hear about your plans!

Yay for flights booked! Looking forward to hearing more.

Yes! Very exciting! Now that my trip report for my November trip is completed, I can focus on this a bit more now!

Yay for purchasing airfare. That's crazy how expensive flying is!

At least this was much cheaper than Italy and it's a direct flight! Flying is expensive but I least I saved $1800 total with flying out of Miami!

Whoa! Just got caught up on your amazing pre-trip report! Omg the hotels are gorgeous and I know the food and wine are going to be sooo much better! I can not wait to read everything! runDisney is the cherry on top! I love that the 5K is at night! Dang, I want some night races at WDW!!! Wah!

I can't wait to hear your plans.

I think we are taking my girls to a women's world cup game in Rennes and Paris. Just need to plan the rest of the trip and book flights.
We are still trying to sell our NY house. We had a buy but he has been jerking us around. I think we have another buyer but they want to close in June. No clue how we are going to do everything.
Plus my husband had meeting in France, so I'm going to be flying home with my girls without him. But we only have to pay for 3 not 4 flights.

Wow, Le Meurice is awesome! Can't get better than that in Paris :)

Make sure you make the most of those two days (make sure you hit Alain Ducasse's restaurant if you get a chance!).

Whoa! Just got caught up on your amazing pre-trip report! Omg the hotels are gorgeous and I know the food and wine are going to be sooo much better! I can not wait to read everything! runDisney is the cherry on top! I love that the 5K is at night! Dang, I want some night races at WDW!!! Wah!
Thank you! I’m getting really excited for it even with ignoring the trip report for most of the year. Hopefully I won’t gain back all the weight I’ve lost since April (30 lbs).

I know lots miss the night races at WDW. My husband is sad he’s missing out on the 5k too!

I can't wait to hear your plans.

I think we are taking my girls to a women's world cup game in Rennes and Paris. Just need to plan the rest of the trip and book flights.
We are still trying to sell our NY house. We had a buy but he has been jerking us around. I think we have another buyer but they want to close in June. No clue how we are going to do everything.
Plus my husband had meeting in France, so I'm going to be flying home with my girls without him. But we only have to pay for 3 not 4 flights.

Did you end up going to the World Cup game? One of my coworkers went to the Sweden game and had lots of fun. They were in a suite and raves about the food.

Hope you sold the house too! It’s nice work was able to pick up one of the flights. With my career change, we don’t really get to travel anymore and thus I don’t have the perks there I used to.

Wow, Le Meurice is awesome! Can't get better than that in Paris :)

Make sure you make the most of those two days (make sure you hit Alain Ducasse's restaurant if you get a chance!).

I’m super excited about staying there. One of my runDisney friends sent me the instagram of the head pastry chef and I’m so excited to try his artwork/food.

We’re going to eat lunch at Ducasse’s Versailles place. We’re currently in a debate on something else (chef’s table at Gordon Ramsey’s place 2 days post refurb so maybe he’ll be there to ensure all is good) that would be once in a lifetime but also means we lose most or all sit downs meals at Disneyland Paris due to costs.

Did you end up going to the World Cup game? One of my coworkers went to the Sweden game and had lots of fun. They were in a suite and raves about the food.
We went to the first 2 USA world games. We almost had a big hiccup for the Reims game. As we were getting to the train station to take the eurostar to paris, Hotels.com calls that our hotel had an issue. They wound up finding us a hotel in Moussy which is 45 minutes to an hour away. After trying to figure out what we were going to do, we just gave in and rented a car. I was going to contact hotels.com when we got home to see if they could reimburse us for the car rental or the 2 sets of train tickets that we couldn't use but never did due to our adventure going home.

We were supposed to come home on a Tuesday. We used air miles for the flights so we had a connection in Philly. We had 2 flight option an under 2 hour connection or a closer to 5 hour connection. I picked the longer one.
Flight takes off fine except having issues with the tv screens. They reboot the whole plane. One of our 3 seats the tv never worked. About an hour into the flight we hear 3 weird beeps , similar to the beeps that lets you know you are at cruising altitude. After my daughter who was sitting at the end says she saw the flight attention freaking out. Soon after they announce we have to turn around due to a malfunctioning espresso machine in the front gallery. Then they say don't be alarmed with the emergency services on the ground as we land. At this point they say it will be a quick fix and we will be on our way to Philly. Before we land they say they cut the power to the front gallley.
We sit for around a hour on the ground waiting. Pilot says they can't fix it, wait for plan b. another hour waiting for buses to unload us. 4 hours on the plane and back in Paris. Told flight delayed to the morning. Some people are able to change their flights by calling, others told can't do anything till flight is cancelled since we are considered in flight.
Between the world cup, an airshow and a big fashion show, american airlines says can't find hotel rooms for the whole plane so you are on your own. The girls and I get a hotel near the airport. While we are waiting for our taxi, I call american airlines and after asking to speak to a supervisor, I'm able to get us on a direct flight the next morning and even better 3 seats together.

When I got home I found a template to write a letter to american airlines. I emailed it to them and mailed it along with the receipts. They gave us each 600 euros due to a european law as well as reimburse us for the hotel and food. I tried to get them to pay for the extra night of dog boarding but they wouldn't.

We went to the first 2 USA world games. We almost had a big hiccup for the Reims game. As we were getting to the train station to take the eurostar to paris, Hotels.com calls that our hotel had an issue. They wound up finding us a hotel in Moussy which is 45 minutes to an hour away. After trying to figure out what we were going to do, we just gave in and rented a car. I was going to contact hotels.com when we got home to see if they could reimburse us for the car rental or the 2 sets of train tickets that we couldn't use but never did due to our adventure going home.

We were supposed to come home on a Tuesday. We used air miles for the flights so we had a connection in Philly. We had 2 flight option an under 2 hour connection or a closer to 5 hour connection. I picked the longer one.
Flight takes off fine except having issues with the tv screens. They reboot the whole plane. One of our 3 seats the tv never worked. About an hour into the flight we hear 3 weird beeps , similar to the beeps that lets you know you are at cruising altitude. After my daughter who was sitting at the end says she saw the flight attention freaking out. Soon after they announce we have to turn around due to a malfunctioning espresso machine in the front gallery. Then they say don't be alarmed with the emergency services on the ground as we land. At this point they say it will be a quick fix and we will be on our way to Philly. Before we land they say they cut the power to the front gallley.
We sit for around a hour on the ground waiting. Pilot says they can't fix it, wait for plan b. another hour waiting for buses to unload us. 4 hours on the plane and back in Paris. Told flight delayed to the morning. Some people are able to change their flights by calling, others told can't do anything till flight is cancelled since we are considered in flight.
Between the world cup, an airshow and a big fashion show, american airlines says can't find hotel rooms for the whole plane so you are on your own. The girls and I get a hotel near the airport. While we are waiting for our taxi, I call american airlines and after asking to speak to a supervisor, I'm able to get us on a direct flight the next morning and even better 3 seats together.

When I got home I found a template to write a letter to american airlines. I emailed it to them and mailed it along with the receipts. They gave us each 600 euros due to a european law as well as reimburse us for the hotel and food. I tried to get them to pay for the extra night of dog boarding but they wouldn't.

Woah on your travel home journey. Glad you got 600 Euros each! That must have helped a bit even if they didn't cover the do boarding. Glad you were able to work around the issues you did have with hotels and things. A 2 hour connection wouldn't be enough for returning to the states! We had that issue with Italy in 2017 and had to get special express passes through customs and security to get back into the gates.

I miss hearing updates!!!

I'm doing a big planning update now combining a lot of things into one. Life got really busy especially with Qi'ra (our new Rhodesian) and Gantu and life.

Updated Plans

I’ve been bad and ignoring the pre-trip portion of this trip report. Having two young Rhodesian Ridgebacks will do that to you as they take up most of my free time nowadays. At least they are cute. They are training for lots of great things.
yZAL6z5.jpg

k393gVh.jpg

FH770c7.jpg

Wednesday, September 4th, 2019
1:30PM - Leave Work
2:15PM - Drive to Miami - we debated on hiring a car versus parking at the airport. Parking should be around $323. Getting a hired car is about $150 each way. We may still change our minds.
4:30PM - Check In For Flight (Terminal South)
...our flight should be in the south terminal, usually concourse H
...we’ll grab dinner at either Bongos, Budweiser Brewhouse, or La Pausa, at least this terminal has a lot more options than we did for Italy when in courcouse E where our only option was Pizza Hut post security.
7:40PM - Depart Miami, Florida
...we have duo seats towards the back of the plane so no sharing space with others in our little area
...we’ll be served dinner & breakfast on the plane
...hopefully we get some sleep!

Thursday, September 5th, 2019 - Versailles
10:40AM - Arrival in Paris, France
...get through customs/luggage pick up
12:00PM - Meet Tauck Driver
2:00PM - Arrive at Trianon Palace Versailles
...we aren’t planning on doing much upon arrival. Get settled in the room, take a shower to get un-planed, probably take a nap if we do what we may for dinner. Explore the hotel and surrounding area.

Dinner - I attempted to get Gordon Ramsay Au Trianon but they are currently booked for this date. It's the 2nd day of opening after their remodel so I’m sure that isn’t helping availability! I am able to get the Chef’s Table but it starts at 7:30PM which means it will go until 11:30PM for dinner. I'm not sure I will keep it as its a minimum 700 Euro Experience. If we do it - we will cancel most reservations at Disneyland Paris and do just counter service there.

If not, we’ll eat at Terr’Ice Moet as it’s a pop up that is currently going on at the bar there has small plates and champagne that opens at 5PM. We don’t want to do La Veranda as I feel that will be close to what is offered to us the next evening at our welcome dinner.

Friday, September 6th, 2019 - Versailles
7:00AM - Wake Up
9:00AM - Versailles Palace opens
...we’ll start in the Palace and then head to the gardens
11:30AM - Ore - Ducasse au Chateau de Versailles
...after lunch we’ll do the estate of Trianon
...relax at hotel in late afternoon
6:00PM - Tauck Welcome Reception & Dinner

Saturday, September 7th, 2019 - Loire Valley
Morning:
...visit International Strained-Glass Centre
...visit Chartres’ Gothic cathedral
Lunch: On our own in Chartres
Afternoon:
...head to Chateau de Rochecotte & settle into hotel room
Evening:
...Chateau de Champchevrier reception, dinner and hunting hound demonstration in full regalia

Sunday, September 8th, 2019 - Loire Valley
Morning:
...Chateau de Langeais
Afternoon:
...Lunch & Wine Tasting at Le Moulin Bleu in Bourgueil
...Chateau Villandry
Evening:
...dinner with Tauck Group

Monday, September 9th, 2019 - Port du Crouesty
Morning:
...visit Chateau d’Angers (Apocalypse Tapestry)
Afternoon:
...check into Miramar La Cigale - Hotel Thalasso & Spa
...dinner with Tauck Group

Tuesday, September 10th, 2019 - Port du Crouesty
Morning:
...walking tour of Le Petit Mont
...sightseeing cruise along Golfe du Morbihan
...Rochefort-en-Terre visit

Afternoon:
...on our own in Port du Crouesty
...most likely laundry time
Evening:
...dinner on our own (tbd)

Wednesday, September 11th, 2019 - St. Malo
Morning:
...walking tour in Brittany
...visit Cathedral & Promenade de la Gareene in Vannes
Afternoon:
...visit Chateau Josselin
...visit Doll Museum
...settle into Le Grand Hotel des Thermes
Evening:
...dinner with Tauck group

Thursday, September 12th, 2019 - St. Malo
Morning:
...visit Abbey of Mont-St-Michel
Afternoon:
...walking tour of La Ville Intro-Muros
Evening:
...dinner on our own (tbd)

Friday, September 13th, 2019 - Deauville
Morning:
...visit Bayeux Tapestry
Afternoon:
...lunch & visit at Le Memorial de Caen
...visit Peace Museum
...settle into Hotel Le Normandy Barriere
Evening:
...dinner with Tauck group

Saturday, September 14th, 2019 - Deauville
Morning:
...visit beaches of Normandy
...private collection of WWII memorability (local expert)
Afternoon:
...visit Pointe du Hoc
...Ohama Beach
...American Military Cemetery
Evening:
...dinner on our own

Sunday, September 15th, 2019 - Rouen/Paris
Morning:
...travel to Rouen
...Church of Ste. Joan of Arc
Afternoon:
...visit to Giverny/gardens of Monet
...Check In & Get Settled at Le Meurice
Evening:
...Dinner with Tauck Group

Monday, September 16th, 2019 - Paris
Morning:
...highlights of Paris tour (Eiffel, Arc de Triomphe, Champs-Elysees, whatever they replace Notre Dame with)
Afternoon:
...walking tour of Paris
Evening:
...After hours tour at Musee du Louvre

Tuesday, September 17th, 2019 - Paris
Morning:
...Visit Mosee d’Orsay
...visit Gare d’Orsay
Afternoon:
...on our own time (probably laundry again)
Evening:
...Seine River Dinner Cruise

Wednesday, September 18th, 2019 - Paris
Need to find a catacombs Skip The Line tour to book that I can trust
Visit other landmarks missed
Attempt to see IT: Chapter 2 in English (aware there may be subtitles)
6:00PM - Le Jules Verne (Eiffel Tower)

Thursday, September 19th, 2019 - Paris/Disneyland Paris
Relaxing Morning
Bistro Lunch
1:30PM - Private Transfer Pickup at Hotel
3:00PM - Arrive @ Disneyland Paris
...check into Disneyland Hotel
…visit runDisney Expo (Disney Events Arena)
7:00PM - Dinner @ California Grill (Disneyland Hotel) or Counter Service around Disney Village

Friday, September 20th, 2019 - Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Park - 10AM to 9:30PM (EMH 8:30AM to 9:30AM)
Walt Disney Studios Park - 10AM to 6PM (EMH 8:30AM to 9:30AM)

Start at Disneyland Park at 8:30AM. Switch around lunch to Walt Disney Studios.
3:00PM - Remy’s (Walt Disney Studios Park)
8:00PM - Disneyland Paris 5K (Melissa)

Saturday, September 21st, 2019 - Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Park - 10AM to 10PM (EMH 9AM to 10AM)
Walt Disney Studios Park - 10AM to 9PM

7:00AM - Disneyland Paris 10K (Both)
Focus on Disneyland Park
Lunch - Lucky Nugget
5:00PM - Steakhouse (Disney Village)

Sunday, September 22nd, 2019 - Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Park - 10AM to 9PM
Walt Disney Studios Park - 10AM to 9PM (EMH 9AM to 10AM)

7:00AM - Disneyland Paris Half (Shaun)
Walt Disney Studios
Lunch - Booths for Rendez-vous Gourmand de Disneyland Paris
Evening, do any last rides we missed in either park

Monday, September 23rd, 2019 - Disneyland Paris

8:30AM - Magical Shuttle Leaving Disneyland Hotel (time could be off)
1:40PM - Leave Paris, France
5:10PM - Arrive Miami, Florida
...drive home
...be broke​

Last edited:
What made you pick the Tauck tour? We are in the early planning stages of planning a italy trip.

Just found this trip report...
And it sounds like an awesome plan!
I‘ll follow along because I am curious about your race reports...I am playing with the idea to participate 2020 but don’t know for sure yet...
and your pre planning report helped me already because I now now that registration opens a year in advance :scared1: (I actually didn’t expect it to open that early...) so I guess I should start making plans... though planning 3 different Disney trips at once is a little challenging (DLP,DL,DLP)

And the rest of your trip also sounds great! I‘ve been to the Normandy and Mont Saint Michel on a school exchange and really enjoyed it! The history was really interesting...

I am happy for you that you were able to get some „reasonable“ priced flight tickets... I definitely know that problem from our flights from Germany to LA...the fact that we often combine a DL trip with an Hawaii trip really doesn’t help with flight costs and makes it crazy expensive....but it’s Hawaii and you gotta be prepared to pay some $$$ to visit the paradise :beach:... and it is quite some mileage(Berlin-Hawaii... almost halfway around the world)... but having to pay such a price for an east coast to Paris/Italy trip is ridiculous...I am glad it worked out for you...!

I am looking forward to your updates....

What made you pick the Tauck tour? We are in the early planning stages of planning a italy trip.

When we originally decided to go to Italy, there was one major thing on my list (Pompeii) in addition to the ability to see some of the other ancient Roman sites as I had taken years of Latin. While we aren’t religious, my husband still grew up Catholic so seeing the Vatican was still up there on his lists of wants. I also wanted a tour group that I know I could trust and provide a decent level of service and hotels.

We also had certain time of year we could travel due to our jobs while also wanting to avoid school break travelers.

We had short listed a couple different tours - a Small Group Tauck, Adult Only Adventures by Disney and National Geographic. We really wanted Adventures by Disney but the date available started two days after my husband’s physical inventory at work and as he was the operations manager, that was a no-go date as they would still be in research phase of discrepancies. I wanted the small group so it didnt feel like a bus tour herding people around.

We knew going with Tauck, we were not their target demographic as we were in our early thirties but that wasn’t really an problem for us. We weren’t there to make life long friendship with people but everyone was pleasant. We were happy for the wonderful accommodations, great food, and awesome access to things that we would have never done or known about otherwise. It also took away having to plan too much as with my work at the time, I did t have the energy or time to plan every detail out. The after hours access to the Vatican along with being allowed to take photos at the Sistine Chapel were the cherry on top!

We picked them for a France as we loved the service they provided. I realize this tour is probably going to skew even more senior than the last but that’s fine. We also got our ‘gift of time’ which they give repeat visitors and will cover the hotel room at either the beginning or ending of the trip. We used it at the end as the hotel was much more expensive.

I know the Bridges tours get good reviews as well and they have children/teenagers as well.

Just found this trip report...
And it sounds like an awesome plan!
I‘ll follow along because I am curious about your race reports...I am playing with the idea to participate 2020 but don’t know for sure yet...
and your pre planning report helped me already because I now now that registration opens a year in advance :scared1: (I actually didn’t expect it to open that early...) so I guess I should start making plans... though planning 3 different Disney trips at once is a little challenging (DLP,DL,DLP)

And the rest of your trip also sounds great! I‘ve been to the Normandy and Mont Saint Michel on a school exchange and really enjoyed it! The history was really interesting...

I am happy for you that you were able to get some „reasonable“ priced flight tickets... I definitely know that problem from our flights from Germany to LA...the fact that we often combine a DL trip with an Hawaii trip really doesn’t help with flight costs and makes it crazy expensive....but it’s Hawaii and you gotta be prepared to pay some $$$ to visit the paradise :beach:... and it is quite some mileage(Berlin-Hawaii... almost halfway around the world)... but having to pay such a price for an east coast to Paris/Italy trip is ridiculous...I am glad it worked out for you...!

I am looking forward to your updates....

I get handling plans for multiple trips! We always have WDW in the works but those are easier for us to plan than others since we can drive. One of the reasons we are doing the tour is to help with the planning aspect.

Flight tickets are crazy but yeah, traveling some places it can’t be helped. I think our Hawaii tickets were more than our Paris tickets when we did that in 2016.

RunDisney is lots of fun. This will be my first time with Paris RunDisney so it will interesting to see how they differ.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!