I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t have a Staples offer on my CF but there’s a Dosh 3% back for Staples currently!

What’s the trick to making sure the MCGC aren’t tampered with? Just make sure the packaging is intact?

Make sure the packaging is intact.

Obviously, make sure the tab that the cashier has to pull off hasn't been tampered with.

Some scammers will go so far as to steal unactivated cards to take home, where they very carefully open up the two-layer paperboard packaging, gain access to the unactivated cards' number, expiration date, cvv (and I believe input that into a bot that periodically checks for their activation and value), then glue the packaging back together, and bring it back to the store for unsuspecting customers to purchase. So check the edges of the packaging for suspicious wear or re-gluing.

Another thing I've seen warned about is some scammers will do the above, but will go the extra step of scanning and printing out a copy of the back of the gift card, putting the copy back into the packaging, and keeping the physical card for later use when the card has been activated. The copy has the barcode, which is what the store needs to scan to activate the card; except, you don't have the card. Like the above, the scammer probably has some kind of bot program running periodic checks on the cards he's compromised to find cards that have been activated and their value. So in the small window of the packaging, check the card inside is plastic, with print that has some texture; and not a flat paper printout.

Another thing I do when buying gift cards is I take a look at the exposed part of the card (whether there's a window with a removable tab or the gift card is exposed except for the silver scratch off) for some kind of serial number, and I try to pick the card with a number that is sequential to the numbers on other cards on the rack, thinking if a scammer were to take some cards home to tamper with, he probably wouldn't bother putting them back in sequential order; whereas a store employee stocking the racks with clean cards would be taking them out of the box and putting them out in the same order they were originally printed and packaged.

Best practices also include opening up any packaged gift card as soon as you get home to check for anything suspicious (e.g., is the sticky goop there, or is it glued? is the silver scratch-off still covering the PIN? Has that scratch-off been peeled and re-glued on?); if possible, register the card to your personal info or load it to your account ASAP; and don't wait too long to spend it.

Last edited:

I think we've had Wawa here in central VA for about 20 years. They really are nice. If I'm going to stop somewhere while I'm on the road traveling I try to look for a Sheetz or Wawa. They're always well-lit, clean bathrooms, etc.

We showed in the middle of nowhere, PA several times last year and the ONLY "fast food" in town was a Sheetz. We would literally eat there breakfast, lunch, and dinner lol. The options are pretty good and you can get healthy stuff though.
Sheetz! I had many a Sheetz dog (basic roller dog loaded with cheese and onions) in college in the 80s. Wawas are more east than where I lived and went to college in western/central PA.

I’m gonna have to tell Dh because he’s always on me for being picky. I can eat a whole can of green beans by myself, even cold. I hate fresh green beans though. They aren’t the same at all

That is right on fresh vs canned, but sorry fresh are so amazing. Especially if you grow your own. You can even eat them raw as you pick them!

I had a "mini" solo trip of about 1.5 days last year when I went to Orlando for work. 1.5 days is generous because I came in a day early and did 3 parks (Lyft to HS, walk to Epcot, monorail to MK, walk to CR after HEA and Lyft back) then took a Lyft my 2nd night to WDW really late for a few FP+ in AK. Gotta love having an AP!

I think I am going to embark on my first true solo trip to WDW this summer. I have an itch to go back before my planned fall trip and found some decent AP rates. With schedules, I haven't found anyone completely interested/committed to join so I have my favorite resorts booked with a split and plan on doing 2 DAH and the Wild Africa Trek in addition to some resort activities like the painting class at BC. I am looking forward to the possibility of being on my own and doing exactly whatever I want, whenever I want including early mornings, late nights, rides, and dining! I love WDW trips with my family and SOME friends (they have to be able to stick to a schedule), but am excited to try it out alone.

I am weird and think I am both extroverted and introverted. I can sit and talk and engage with people for hours, but sometimes I just want to put my earbuds in and not be bothered. It really depends on the day and company.
Have fun if you do go solo. I think it is really liberating and fun.

Last edited:
Off topic, but Disney related PSA:

If you have used the Dabble App in the past to earn Disney cards, they have changed their platform and now it is not such a slow earner anymore. They have a continuous stream of ways to earn. I cashed out a $5 card this morning and am almost 1/5 of my way to my next $5. I am guessing I can potentially $5 every 4-5 days with minimal time invested. It is not much but every little bit helps pay my DVC dues. It used to be an extremely slow earner, with available ways to earn very intermittent. They recently updated and now there are ways to earn almost anytime on any given day. There is more info in our Dischurners group miscellaneous thread.

I always need nice bathrooms, too. My dad always joked with me as a kid/teen that I should create a website called Haley’s List that is about bathrooms lol. I would go into bathrooms and rate on my website how they were

When I visited Beijing [wow] 15 years ago, a lot of the restrooms at hotels and tourist spots had plaques with their star ratings.

Last edited:

I wanted to comment on this earlier but got caught up in other things.

I think you were considering applying for the CIC next, in May, then another CIP in about August. Chase is still approving multiple CIPs w/SSN with no 24 months limit, and awarding bonuses on these cards now. If you wait until August, this opportunity may be closed by then. As for the CIC, I understand wanting the card for the 5x back at office supply stores. I'll always advocate for applying for the CIC separately because the SUB is 50k, but if you hit a wall with Chase on the biz cards front, you should be able to PC one of your CIPs to the CIC even if it's been less than a year (the no PC of a fee card in the first year is a consumer card thing). That would still leave you with a CIU to apply for the 50k SUB. And since the no 24 months limit apply to the CIC and CIU cards too, you can apply for the as many times as Chase will let you.
Thank you! I had no idea I could PC a business card under a year or get the CIC and CIU SUB multiple times.

Then I think my plan is to go for CIP #2 next month. If approved, I will PC my CIP to a CIC shortly after and then apply for a CIU. I have a LOT of "business" expenses coming up that really need to be spread over different cards ;)

Disclaimer - I may not get either card I am asking about - LOL - but....

I have my eyes on the IHG 120,000 SUB and Chase Freedom Unlimited (3x for first year). If I want both, which should I get first? How long should I wait between applications? Or should I have DH get one and me get the other and get them at the same time?

I am at 3/24:
Samsung Financing 8/17
Chase SW (now closed) 9/17
Discover IT 1/18

DH at 2/24:
CSP 7/18 (will close at one year)
United Mileage Plus 8/18 (will downgrade at one year)

Slowing catching up. We are on the road to visit DD for Easter break. But people calling Sheetz and Wawa convenience or gas station food. No no no!! Lol. It is made to order food. I consider it on par with Panera. Though if Kids and I had a choice we probably pick the sheetz or wawa over Panera. One stop gas, clean bathroom and good food. DH would pick Panera only because he likes to sit and dawdle. If we are on a trip I like to get and go. He likes to get out of car to sit some more. :sad2: We definitely pick both over any fast food. Except Chic fil a. That would be first choice.

Wow, really? I’ve never been to Omaha but Chicago has 2 highly regarded zoos. I mean it’s not San Diego, so some things are not possible but they are still pretty great. I’ve been to SD and Beijing zoos, will have to consider Omaha.

I think this is why DH was denied. He first got a message that they needed more info but when he called Sunday they told him to call during the week. I checked the online status check today and it's now a denial.

Chicago's Brookfield Zoo is larger land wise, but Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo I think has so much more. They have been updating and adding so many new things over the past years and making such great use of what is available. I have not been to Brookfield in years so most my current info is second hand but most my Chicago friends I talk to are still WOW'ed by the Omaha Zoo.

I LOVE THE OMAHA ZOO
Lol
Since this all came up earlier now I'm seriously considering trying to make a trip soon. I'm going to aim for May or June I think

They are opening the second part of the Asian Highlands on May 17th! The new Glacier Bay opens tomorrow... So much new stuff!

Slowing catching up. We are on the road to visit DD for Easter break. But people calling Sheetz and Wawa convenience or gas station food. No no no!! Lol. It is made to order food. I consider it on par with Panera. Though if Kids and I had a choice we probably pick the sheetz or wawa over Panera. One stop gas, clean bathroom and good food. DH would pick Panera only because he likes to sit and dawdle. If we are on a trip I like to get and go. He likes to get out of car to sit some more. :sad2: We definitely pick both over any fast food. Except Chic fil a. That would be first choice.

Chick Fil A is ALWAYS number one!! I hate traveling on Sundays when they're closed lol.

A few friendly "support link" reminders...

1) If you have a spouse link, self link, or IRL friend link - nobody here would ever be upset that you use that over a DISchurner link. You never should apologize for that! :)
2) If you don't have any other link and the support link offers the best public offer, please consider using a DISchurner link. You can find them easily in threads grouped by card issuer. If you aren't a DISchurner member, please consider joining before you apply. It's the best way to give back to our community and all the great people here giving advice. AND if you don't use the link you might be sent to Shun-Town, population: @amalone1013 :P :P
3) If you use a DISchurner link, please let that person know via PM. It allows them to thank you and also keep track of whether the points post or not. :teacher:
4) Since we're now 4 months into the year, make sure you keep track of how many support clicks you've received on a card. There are limits - once you hit your limit, please take your link down. The issuers do not make it easy to figure out how many clicks you've gotten so try to keep track as you go. If you've maxed, share the wealth and let others get those clicks. :hug:

Thanks to everybody here for making our little corner of the DIS so awesome!! :thumbsup2

So I'm going to have to qualify my earlier advice.

You can PC a business card under a year. You can PC a CIP to CIC within the first year. However, the prevailing wisdom is you shouldn't for fear of "pissing off Chase" or "risking your relationship with Chase." This is one of those gray areas of churning. Note that to PC your CIP to a CIC, you'll need to call Chase and speak with a rep (can't be done via SM), who may or may not question you about your other CIP, the rep should ultimately let you PC, and it'll result in a prorated refund of your CIP's AF. Thus, the ethical dilemma. As for pissing off the bank, I personally have not seen a DP of Chase taking adverse action against someone for PCing their CIP within the first year.

I think a better course might be to just lower your Chase biz card limits on the cards you don't intend to use much after MSR so those CLs don't hurt your chances of approval for more biz cards, but keep your cards open until it's time close after a year. With your CLs in check, a lot of folks on here have been approved for 3-5 Chase biz cards in a year to year-and-a-half span. I think if you're opening more than 4 biz cards with Chase in 12 months, you're probably pushing a shutdown anyway. Then, when a year is up, close out the cards you're not using, and apply for more biz cards.

On the CIPs, Chase has rendered the 3x bonus categories almost useless; and while it earns 3x on travel, you already get that with your CSR. So there's little reason to keep more than a $1k, or even $500 CL on the CIP after you've met MSR.* (You could go as low as, say, $2k if you want to eventually transfer $1k-1.5k to another biz card like the CIC.) You probably want a higher CL on the CIC to take advantage of gift card deals at office supply stores, but note that the CIC no longer offers an introductory 0% APR and the 5x bonus category is capped at $25k in spend/calendar year. So think about how much credit do you really need and can pay off every month.

*ETA: I should add that one big reason to keep a CIP's CL at a minimum of $5k is if you think you'll PC to a CIC or CIU, you'll need a $5k CL (or be able to move credit from other Chase biz cards to get to $5k).
Just a comment - I was told I could NOT PC my CIU to a CIP in under a year. They specifically told me to check back after a date (which was exactly 1 year from the date of approval). I'm not sure if this was a HUCA situation but it seemed to be a policy and I wonder if the AF played a part in that.

Disclaimer - I may not get either card I am asking about - LOL - but....

I have my eyes on the IHG 120,000 SUB and Chase Freedom Unlimited (3x for first year). If I want both, which should I get first? How long should I wait between applications? Or should I have DH get one and me get the other and get them at the same time?

I am at 3/24:
Samsung Financing 8/17
Chase SW (now closed) 9/17
Discover IT 1/18

DH at 2/24:
CSP 7/18 (will close at one year)
United Mileage Plus 8/18 (will downgrade at one year)

It’s usually recommended to wait 2-3 months between Chase applications....so i would each apply for a card.

Would you be interested in the Chase business cards....all 3 have high sign up bonuses and don’t count against your 5/24...but you have to be under 5/24 to get them
The CIP earns 80k URs after a 5k spend.....the CIC and CIU earn 50k URs after a 3k spend
Or
Have DH refer you for a CSP...he gets a 10kUR referral bonus and you earn 60k URs after a 4K spend

I wanted to comment on this earlier but got caught up in other things.

I think you were considering applying for the CIC next, in May, then another CIP in about August. Chase is still approving multiple CIPs w/SSN with no 24 months limit, and awarding bonuses on these cards now. If you wait until August, this opportunity may be closed by then. As for the CIC, I understand wanting the card for the 5x back at office supply stores. I'll always advocate for applying for the CIC separately because the SUB is 50k, but if you hit a wall with Chase on the biz cards front, you should be able to PC one of your CIPs to the CIC even if it's been less than a year (the no PC of a fee card in the first year is a consumer card thing). That would still leave you with a CIU to apply for the 50k SUB. And since the no 24 months limit apply to the CIC and CIU cards too, you can apply for the as many times as Chase will let you.
I was going to reply to this too and agree. Get the second CIP first while the getting is good. The CIC is a great card to add to the arsenal so I see the debate.

Anyone gone for CIP3 with SSN?

It’s usually recommended to wait 2-3 months between Chase applications....so i would each apply for a card.

Would you be interested in the Chase business cards....all 3 have high sign up bonuses and don’t count against your 5/24...but you have to be under 5/24 to get them
The CIP earns 80k URs after a 5k spend.....the CIC and CIU earn 50k URs after a 3k spend
Or
Have DH refer you for a CSP...he gets a 10kUR referral bonus and you earn 60k URs after a 4K spend

Hi - Thanks. I already have the CSP - that is why DH will cancel his.
No business cards here.
I am not really a churner...I see the value in getting cards on a regular basis for the sign up bonuses, but don't really want to manage all those cards. So I am not worried about my **/24 status.

A few friendly "support link" reminders...

1) If you have a spouse link, self link, or IRL friend link - nobody here would ever be upset that you use that over a DISchurner link. You never should apologize for that! :)
2) If you don't have any other link and the support link offers the best public offer, please consider using a DISchurner link. You can find them easily in threads grouped by card issuer. If you aren't a DISchurner member, please consider joining before you apply. It's the best way to give back to our community and all the great people here giving advice. AND if you don't use the link you might be sent to Shun-Town, population: @amalone1013 :P :P
3) If you use a DISchurner link, please let that person know via PM. It allows them to thank you and also keep track of whether the points post or not. :teacher:
4) Since we're now 4 months into the year, make sure you keep track of how many support clicks you've received on a card. There are limits - once you hit your limit, please take your link down. The issuers do not make it easy to figure out how many clicks you've gotten so try to keep track as you go. If you've maxed, share the wealth and let others get those clicks. :hug:

Thanks to everybody here for making our little corner of the DIS so awesome!! :thumbsup2

Looks like something is wrong/broken with Amex support links..none that I clicked are working

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter