I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having the same dilemma, but would love 25K MR.

The Microsoft Store sells XBox Live cards, but there's no easy avenue to resell them. Surface tablets are hip again, but you'd need to do a local meetup through Craigslist or Facebook to avoid seller's fees, but that's a hassle and a risk.

After a 10 day agonizing wait on my Jet blue Business card application (applied on May 2), I'm finally approved! I love using true blue points to get to Orlando from Newark! I will be cancelling the personal card in a few weeks.

My application went pending so I finally called recon this morning and answered a few basic questions about my "business". Easy Peasy 60,000 True blue points after $1,000 spend and one use on my husband's "employee" card.

Wow, I have the personal JetBlue cc that I got in April, 2018. We fly JetBlue out of EWR also. I wonder if I should try for the business card, to get the extra points? I am 3/24 but would love some extra 60K JetBlue points. Do you think I should wait or apply now? I just looked, my annual fee went on 4/30. Also, I have a flight booked to Albuquerque in August, that I booked with all points. I wonder if that would effect anything if I cancelled my personal card, if I got approved for the business card?

Last edited:

Hey y'all! Happy Tuesday! I'm not caught up at all on the thread but just wanted to say a quick hi.

I've been super busy today with field day for our homeschool co-op and then, get this, @Lain, I took my boys to McDonald's!!!! And, another first, they got to play in the 'Play Place' :cutie: My dh said I was like 'coolest mom ever' today...Field day and then eating IN at McD's! My boys were just gushing the "thank you's" when I said "yes, we are eating inside!".

Then a playdate...we really do *sometimes* do school. But mostly, we socialize lol. It's the fault of the people who told me my kids would be tragically 'unsocialized' :rotfl2:

Now, I'm getting ready to head out with my girls to see Wicked for dd19's b-day. I'll try to catch up tonight!

Congrats to all the approvals and posting of CIP points!
Awww, you are definitely a cool mom! Sounds like a great day. Enjoy Wicked with the bday girl! Great show!

Funny - I just perused that article. I honestly didn’t read it thoroughly enough to understand what was being said LOL!

I have my daddy brain on right now and don’t have the mental ability to pick up all the details. I’ll read it again tonight.
If you book flights through the MR portal, are they revenue tickets that you earn points on like it is with URs? I saw this in my google new feed the other day and was a bit confused. I assumed they were revenue tickets so you would earn RRs.

The Microsoft Store sells XBox Live cards, but there's no easy avenue to resell them. Surface tablets are hip again, but you'd need to do a local meetup through Craigslist or Facebook to avoid seller's fees, but that's a hassle and a risk.
I didn't tell DH about that offer because he wants to buy me a surface pro laptop or something lol

I was approved for the Barclay AA Biz card last week. I only got approved for a $2500 limit. The guy said he could move credit from one of my 2 personal cards which have a limit of $10,000 each. I said not to bother.
I just got an email that Barclay has upped my limit by $7000 on an old personal card.
Barclay is so confusing.

I did this on Delta about 2 years ago. Booked a companion pass and paid with my Amex Platinum. Called Amex and asked if it could be covered by points. They subtracted the points and about 2 months later I called and they manually credited 50% of the points back (how I miss the 50%!). The Amex agent said it was a one time courtesy. Here is an old Frequent Miler article. I would think YMMV whether they are still doing this or not. https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/amex-business-platinum-awesome-1-time-exception/

If you book flights through the MR portal, are they revenue tickets that you earn points on like it is with URs? I saw this in my google new feed the other day and was a bit confused. I assumed they were revenue tickets so you would earn RRs.

You technically can’t book SW flights through the MR portal. You need to book and pay directly through Southwest, then call Amex Travel to apply your MR points to the SW charge at 1 cpp. If you paid with a Biz Plat and have SW selected as your airline, you’ll also eventually get 35% of those MR rebated to you (bringing your redemption up to ~1.54 cpp). But because you paid SW directly (and get reimbursed by MR points), all SW sees is a cash fare and you earn RR points on the flight.

Booking with UR through the Chase portal also acts like a revenue booking, but you can’t book SW through the UR portal; you need to transfer UR to SW RR and book the flight as an award flight, on which (I don’t think) you earn more RR points.

Hey y'all...I was like 'coolest mom ever' today...

Awww, you are definitely a cool mom...

@wendow right now...
giphy.gif

You technically can’t book SW flights through the MR portal. You need to book and pay directly through Southwest, then call Amex Travel to apply your MR points to the SW charge at 1 cpp. If you paid with a Biz Plat and have SW selected as your airline, you’ll also eventually get 35% of those MR rebated to you (bringing your redemption up to ~1.54 cpp). But because you paid SW directly (and get reimbursed by MR points), all SW sees is a cash fare and you earn RR points on the flight.

Booking with UR through the Chase portal also acts like a revenue booking, but you can’t book SW through the UR portal; you need to transfer UR to SW RR and book the flight as an award flight, on which (I don’t think) you earn more RR points.
This is all in line with what I thought then (obviously SW is not the best example since they aren't on the UR portal lol). So what I got from the article was that the guy was explaining how to do that, and that he earned the RRs etc, and then basically that he earns SW status with his MR points. Which means he then earns even more points since SW status comes with a bonus earning on your fares... I didnt think it was anything too special, but I have no MRs yet obviously. It could be interesting down the line...

My business is a home rental.

I have been racking my brain for several minutes for another business venture. No one ever gives me money for anything. I don't paint, bake, sew, sing......

Wait just a minute. I must be boring. :p

Exactly like me (except I get paid NOT to sing)

Just saw the Mods choice on Reddit. If you could have only four cards total what would they be?

For me:

Amex Gold 4x MR on groceries and dining.
Amex BBP 2x MR in everything else.
Amex Plat because they treat me like a princess.
Citi Prestige for the 4th night free and trip insurance.

I would say my reward cards are similar, but I don't have any of the luxury cards:
Code:
Fuel     5%  PenFed     Plat Reward Visa Signature 
Dining   4%  Barclays   Uber Visa                   
Grocery  3%  PenFed     Plat Reward Visa Signature 
All Else 2%  PenFed     Cash Reward Visa Signature

Regarding the EBATE / RAKUTEN name debate: If I were to master the rebate program, I would MUCH rather be known as a Master Rakutener!

I think at one point you could call Chase Travel and book SW using URs without having to do the transfer to SW/RR booking so that it would be a revenue flight. I don’t know if you can still do that since the Expedia changeover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter