I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome back. I'm hoping to get down to Hershey with the family. Maybe next summer. So know a couple of months ago you didn't need mailers for Biz cards. Is this still the case or has it changed?
I realize I never answered this directly. The problem is, there is no clear answer on this. It’s a YMMV situation and it seems that most people get their bonus the 2nd time around and beyond but some don’t and we can’t figure out why.

Does anyone know if there's a downside to Amex closing a business card vs. me closing the business card? DH got a letter that he needs to clarify some information about his "business" for the Amex Green Biz or else Amex will close it. I was planning on closing it anyways, but since the AF hasn't posted (it's already been 6 months past when I expected it to post) I've been putting it off. Which has the least negatives? Or does it even matter since it's a 1) biz card and 2) charge card.

International transit time at LHR----is 1h 25m long enough (PHL-LHR, LHR-DEL)? What about 1h 5m (DEL-LHR, LHR-PHL)?

I would feel very uncomfortable with both of those times. When we were in LHR last (12/26), we flew first and had "fast passes" for all the lines and it took just over an hour AND we didn't have to change terminals.
Flying from EDI (which is in the UK) to connect in LHR also took a little more than an hour. They are serious about security there so one thing (long line, person in front of you unclear about what to take out of their bag, if you have to be bussed from one terminal to the other and there is a delay, or heck sometimes the bus ride takes 10 minutes) and there goes the flight. LHR is not a fun airport in which to connect if you have a lot of time, much less if you don't.

LHR is full of long lines, long hallways and long waits. I'd build in some cushion.

ETA-I'm okay with your sitting in a lounge twiddling your thumbs in LHR thinking "Tink1970 was wrong" than scrambling to reschedule a flight thinking "Tink1970 was right." 🤣

Last edited:
International transit time at LHR----is 1h 25m long enough (PHL-LHR, LHR-DEL)? What about 1h 5m (DEL-LHR, LHR-PHL)?
I would feel very uncomfortable with both of those times. When we were in LHR last (12/26), we flew first and had "fast passes" for all the lines and it took just over an hour AND we didn't have to change terminals.
Flying from EDI (which is in the UK) to connect in LHR also took a little more than an hour. They are serious about security there so one thing (long line, person in front of you unclear about what to take out of their bag, if you have to be bussed from one terminal to the other and there is a delay, or heck sometimes the bus ride takes 10 minutes) and there goes the flight. LHR is not a fun airport in which to connect if you have a lot of time, much less if you don't.

LHR is full of long lines, long hallways and long waits. I'd build in some cushion.

ETA-I'm okay with your sitting in a lounge twiddling your thumbs in LHR thinking "Tink1970 was wrong" than scrambling to reschedule a flight thinking "Tink1970 was right." 🤣
Longest walk of my life- connection through LHR - we had gate checked our stroller, come to find out they checked it the whole way through to our final destination. So we had to walk loooooooong halls and change terminals after a red-eye, while carrying an antsy 14 month old. That airport is huge, and they do seem to take way longer through security etc, if you need to do that at any point. I remember another time when we got there 3 hours ahead (this was pre-911, pre- faster clearance lanes etc) and walked up to our gate just as the plane was boarding - we had been in line/walking the entire time.

Not my favorite airport. Listen to @tink1970 and give yourself time!

My friend wants to use her capital one card to wipe out her expenses at Disney. If she books a dining plan through a DVC rental, will it be coded as travel so she could wipe out the charge? Or is she better off just doing room charges? Thank you

I have to break out the :badpc: smiley

Poor hubby has a work trip next week, that's not only last minute, but they waited until almost the 11th hour to approve it. He travels on Sunday. They finally approved the trip this morning a couple hours ago. When they decided last week to move up the trip tentatively scheduled for Aug, both the approved Courtyard and DoubleTree were showing availability and were within $10 of each other on nightly rates so we debated where he should stay. We settled on the DoubleTree since we don't have as much opportunity to earn Hilton points, his Gold status gets free breakfast, and should get him an upgrade from the double bed room rate his company contracts for even if it's just to a King room. (last year he got the Junior Suite. He actually enjoyed the week :cloud9:) Nothing wrong with the Courtyard but last time he stayed there they didn't have much of a food option and there wasn't too much else convenient so while it's closer to the office, he's had better experiences with the DT.

So after getting approval he immediately tries to book the DT and get a "Sold out". womp womp. Well apparently there's something hot happening on a Tuesday night because all the nearby hotels are now sold out that night. :confused3 However, in that odd quirk of somehow I can have a room on Tuesday if I stay 5 nights but not if I stay 2 nights, the Courtyard is showing availability for the full week so because they waited so long to approve, we're getting Marriott points instead :badpc: (and they're getting stuck with the breakfast bill :laughing:) I'm hoping being Platinum he gets an upgrade to a King room, but at least the "double" rooms are Queens so he'd just have to contend with a bed taking up some of his desk space. And it appears they've updated their food options in the last couple years, so now a breakfast buffet is available in the new café. The website lists it as $13.95 so he could use the F&B credit towards that and expense the rest when he wants it.

I wonder what would have happened if the Courtyard wouldn't accept the reservation either? I can't imagine how much more of a hassle it would have been getting approval within a day for a hotel outside of the list, even if it was just for that one night. Having worked in the corporate world for quite a while I understand things can move glacially, but I've never understood waiting until the last minute so that now you're wasting money on last minute fares and rates. (if you can even get them. I had a trip once I wasn't sure I was going to make as when they finally approved it all the approved airfare buckets were sold out. Luckily checking on a Sunday night for Tues travel got a random fare to turn up so I grabbed it. It was oddly reasonably priced too. But the company still got hosed when my companion didn't book until Monday morning and while the same route was available, the fare bucket bumped up. It was still economy so it was approved but had we booked when we submitted we could have had business for nearly the same :rolleyes:)

I wonder what would have happened if the Courtyard wouldn't accept the reservation either? I can't imagine how much more of a hassle it would have been getting approval within a day for a hotel outside of the list, even if it was just for that one night. Having worked in the corporate world for quite a while I understand things can move glacially, but I've never understood waiting until the last minute so that now you're wasting money on last minute fares and rates. (if you can even get them. I had a trip once I wasn't sure I was going to make as when they finally approved it all the approved airfare buckets were sold out. Luckily checking on a Sunday night for Tues travel got a random fare to turn up so I grabbed it. It was oddly reasonably priced too. But the company still got hosed when my companion didn't book until Monday morning and while the same route was available, the fare bucket bumped up. It was still economy so it was approved but had we booked when we submitted we could have had business for nearly the same :rolleyes:)
Every trip DH takes is booked like 3 days out, it blows my mind. DH has now earned 55k RRs this year, and while there are a couple WGA fares sprinkled in there, the majority are Biz select because that's all that's available. At least they don't have to deal with an approved list for travel.

On the other hand, it's the owners wife that books the travel for everyone, that's her 'job' so she just looks for the cheapest option. She does ask if they have a preference for airlines, or sometimes will send them the options to pick from, or they can have some say in hotel ie location or if they want to repeat it if it's a repeat trip. But she books all the hotels through hotels.com :confused3

ETA: On this note, DH needs to do a day trip to Reno (most likely, it could go overnight too) at the end of next week and nothing is booked yet.

I have to break out the :badpc: smiley

Poor hubby has a work trip next week, that's not only last minute, but they waited until almost the 11th hour to approve it. He travels on Sunday. They finally approved the trip this morning a couple hours ago. When they decided last week to move up the trip tentatively scheduled for Aug, both the approved Courtyard and DoubleTree were showing availability and were within $10 of each other on nightly rates so we debated where he should stay. We settled on the DoubleTree since we don't have as much opportunity to earn Hilton points, his Gold status gets free breakfast, and should get him an upgrade from the double bed room rate his company contracts for even if it's just to a King room. (last year he got the Junior Suite. He actually enjoyed the week :cloud9:) Nothing wrong with the Courtyard but last time he stayed there they didn't have much of a food option and there wasn't too much else convenient so while it's closer to the office, he's had better experiences with the DT.

So after getting approval he immediately tries to book the DT and get a "Sold out". womp womp. Well apparently there's something hot happening on a Tuesday night because all the nearby hotels are now sold out that night. :confused3 However, in that odd quirk of somehow I can have a room on Tuesday if I stay 5 nights but not if I stay 2 nights, the Courtyard is showing availability for the full week so because they waited so long to approve, we're getting Marriott points instead :badpc: (and they're getting stuck with the breakfast bill :laughing:) I'm hoping being Platinum he gets an upgrade to a King room, but at least the "double" rooms are Queens so he'd just have to contend with a bed taking up some of his desk space. And it appears they've updated their food options in the last couple years, so now a breakfast buffet is available in the new café. The website lists it as $13.95 so he could use the F&B credit towards that and expense the rest when he wants it.

We just had this same issue with our trip to Chicago. Luckily, 3 of us had our rooms already booked but the one gentleman who didn't had two nights at Hilton where the training was and then had to go $50 over per diem in order to get a room in the city so then he had the added expense of taking a taxi for those two days. (Although I am not sure he was complaining since he ended up at the Hyatt Regency right on the river.)

So. Here's something interesting.

DHs SW card opened with a -$7 balance (from the $75 credit). During this statement, we booked two SW flights and paid taxes and fees with it, and also used the last two upgrades on our cruise trip. We also got credit for cancelling 3 SW flights which was had paid taxes and fees with this card, and the two upgraded boardings. Opened with -$7, charged $111, refunded $117, closed with -$12 balance.

He earned 166 SW points :confused3

Does your upgrade offer require you to spend any amount of money to get the 2 Free Nights up to 35k Marriott points?

Some variations of this offer require some spend, and some upgrade offers are for only 1 FN.

Generally speaking, this is a great offer if you have an idea where you'd spend those 35k FN certificates. For example, there are several Marriott hotels around Disneyland where an award night will cost you 35k points. The cash price of these hotels could run in the mid-$100s to $300+. I've also used a 35k FN cert at the Sheraton Universal hotel next to Universal Studios Hollywood, and iirc the cash price was in the high-$200s.

So the proposition is would you upgrade for 2 FN certs worth $300-600+, and do you think you can get more than a $95 value out of the FN certificate you'd get every year when you pay the annual fee? There are several of us who continue to hold Chase and Amex Marriott Bonvoy cards and pay the annual fee every year because we know we can redeem the FN certificates for hotel rooms that have a cash value more than the AF.

I notice you also have the Amex Bonvoy (original SPG) card. That comes with a 35k FN cert after you pay your AF too. So between the Chase Marriott Boundless and Amex Bonvoy, that's two 35k FN certs you can use every year. That's a weekend covered by FN certs.

A few things to consider:

- An upgrade to the Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless card will not count as a new card against 5/24.

- Marriott is planning to introduce peak and off-peak pricing to their award chart sometime this year. So while a Category 5 hotel is currently 35k Marriott points on any date of the year, peak pricing would mean that hotel goes up to 40k points at peak dates: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/pointsGridPopUp.mi This would devalue your 35k FN certs in that you'd be limited to using them only when the awards are at off peak or standard pricing.

- If you accept the upgrade offer, you could be ruling yourself out of the Amex Bonvoy Brilliant (formerly SPG Lux) for the next two years. The following restrictive fine print applies to the

Bonvoy Brilliant: Welcome offer not available to applicants who (i) have or have had The Ritz-Carlton™ Credit Card from JPMorgan or the J.P. Morgan Ritz-Carlton Rewards® Credit Card in the last 30 days, (ii) have acquired the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy™ Premier Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Rewards®Premier Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy™ Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase or the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase in the last 90 days, or (iii) received a new Card Member bonus or upgrade offer for the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card from Chase, Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy™ Premier Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy™ Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase or the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase in the last 24 months.

Bonvoy Business: Welcome offer not available to applicants who (i) have or have had the Marriott BonvoyTM Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy BusinessTM Credit Card from Chase, or the Marriott Rewards® Business Credit Card from Chase in the last 30 days, (ii) have acquired the Marriott Bonvoy BoundlessTM Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy BoldTM Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott BonvoyTM Premier Credit Card from Chase or the Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase in the last 90 days, or (iii) received a new Card Member bonus offer in the last 24 months on the Marriott Bonvoy BoundlessTM Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy BoldTM Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott BonvoyTM Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase or the Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase.

You should be ok to apply for the Amex Marriott Bonvoy Biz.
Thanks for the details Lain! DH has that same upgrade offer, it just requires one purchase to get the certificate. He just received the 25K certificate from his premiere card in May. He has 2 Marriott cards & 2 SPG cards. I don't think that we would ever go for the SPG Lux as I'm not comfortable paying that big fee. Do you think it would be a good idea to upgrade?

SW posted an update on the Max situation....they now revised their schedule to 11/2....if your flying in October check your flight
Got an email early this morning our October flight out of MCO had changed...only by 50 mins but gives the option for a free change. Maybe i'll do another day in the parks and fly back the following afternoon.

We're meeting up with my mom in Disney in Oct. I had it all set up so our flights arrive and depart MCO at the same time. Well, now my mom's late evening flight out of MCO got cancelled and she was rescheduled 6 hours earlier! Not only does this mean an entire day of Disney is wasted for her, but now she has to take DME to the airport by herself as our flight is still at night. I suppose if I was a better daughter, I could reschedule my flight to the afternoon one as well, but I really wanted to spend one more day at F&W at EPCOT... hmm...my love of food vs my love of my mom...decisions, decisions...

I need some advice on rental cars please!

I have a rental car booked through the UR Portal using my CIP account, all on UR’s, with Alamo with my DH as the driver for our trip this Sat. Does this include any rental car insurance coverage? I initially thought if I used his Arrival Plus to guarantee the reservation, that would cover us in case of an accident, but the more I think about it I don’t think it would.

I have a few other reservations I could use instead, paying OOP instead and cashing out UR’s, so that we could be covered in case of an accident. Would that be a better option? The cheaper option I have is Dollar, I’d rather use Alamo but that one is $34 more.

All of this and I’ve also been on the phone with Alamo and Chase for an hour trying to straighten out the existing reservation because Alamo doesn’t show that the reservation is paid (apparently this has been happening a lot from what the rep said). Man, this is stressing me out!
Quoting myself to see if anyone has any thoughts on this? Thank you!

The CIP only includes primary rental car insurance for business purposes, so if you need to make a claim, they will ask you for proof that the rental was for business.

Benefit terms state: "Auto Rental CDW [collision damage waiver] is primary coverage when renting primarily for business purposes, renting outside your country of residence for personal reasons or if you do not have automobile insurance. Coverage is secondary when renting inside your country of residence for personal use."

Also, would I be able to use 3 Amex Cards in 1 transaction at Staples? I have 2 staples - $10/40 & $5/25. I would like to buy $100 DGC using all 3 offers.

I did this a while back with my Chase offers on 3 cards. Told the cashier how much needed to be charged to each card, no problems.

However, I tried to replicate the deal a few months later and it was a disaster. Told the cashier I needed to do a split tender, he said no problem and told me to swipe the first card. Well, he didn't actually set the system up for a split tender and it all went on the one card. They couldn't do anything to fix it, as DGC are non-refundable and they don't have the ability to go back in the system to change payment type. So just make sure they really hit split tender before you swipe your first card!

I guess the point I was making is that it isn't easy. The easiest way would be to transfer DH's points to your account and then book.
But, what status do you have? If it's anything lower than platinum with Marriott - you don't get much for your status. If you are only a few nights off the 50 for plat - different story. Last year I was a week of nights off 50- wasn't worth it to book them.

I abandoned trying to get to plat with Marriott last year because a few breakfasts weren't worth reworking my plans. I have loads of points and free nights (5 each year) but since I also have DVC and Hyatt and IHG, and Radisson and Hilton, the Marriott status is not so important to me. With SPG it was just so different.
I’m only gold. I thought about transferring his points to me but it looks like I have to pay for that now. SPG always let you transfer to your spouse for free. Bonvoyed again! Paying for the transfer pretty much negates the point of the free nights, so I’ll just prob leave it alone.

For the SW Priority card, to use the 4 free upgraded boardings benefit, do we just use the Priority card to pay and then the credit should hit automatically? I would assume that's how it would work but just wanted to double-check. Hopefully we'll be able to use this benefit for our flight tomorrow (it's subject to availability). TIA!

The CIP only includes primary rental car insurance for business purposes, so if you need to make a claim, they will ask you for proof that the rental was for business.

Benefit terms state: "Auto Rental CDW [collision damage waiver] is primary coverage when renting primarily for business purposes, renting outside your country of residence for personal reasons or if you do not have automobile insurance. Coverage is secondary when renting inside your country of residence for personal use."

Thanks for the info! I think I've convinced myself just to keep the reservation as is using the UR's, and if anything happens use our car insurance. But, I still have two other reservations to choose from if I change my mind tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter