I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot about that part of it....maybe I will try to get some tickets ahead of time as soon as we firm up a date. The other thing we have done is just walk in to the box office and buy tickets day of show. You just don't know if there are seats until you get there though. It wouldn't be good for someone who has their heart set on a single show. But for us going for a few days - we have flexibility.

We did this the last time we were in NY. We bought tickets to see one show ahead of time. For the other days, we went to the Box Office after we arrived and bought tickets. We ended up with box seats for Something's Rotten and Waitress. Even though I am short, I loved all the extra room in the box seats!

Just posted an IMPORTANT update on the Citi AAdvantage Cards (Personal and Business) Discussion Thread on DISchurners.
Please take a look over there and if you have any questions or discussion, try to keep it on DISchurners please.

Thanks!
To close a Citi Biz, can I close by chat? And do I need to lower the CL before? I know I had read something but I can’t find it in my notes or bookmarks. I’m at work and want to close my husbands card. Thanks!

Churning fail. Got my CSR in the mail today plus onr for my middle name AU. I totally forgot I had an AU on the CFU. The rep never mentioned it just the fee and I was like no prob I don't have an AU. I sent an SM though I'm sure I need to call.

Looking at flights to Scotland has me second guessing this destination. I know flights to Europe are costly, but man this is like all of our nearly 500 URs for flights alone. What am I doing wrong? We haven’t ever taken a proper honeymoon/anniversary so I was hoping to fly business class but ughhh

Scotland is expensive to fly on $$ or miles. No doubt. Also the exorbitant fees for the UK apply. I've found for Delta the best method is to wake up around 1 or 2 am CST 330 days prior to when I want to book if I want to book biz on Delta miles and hope that there are 2 seats. Often, there aren't. For some reason, it's much more challenging to find award flights TO Edinburgh than FROM Edinburgh, although they are still very difficult, unless you're flying out of JFK, I believe, since it's a direct flight.

One option, if you have your mind set on Scotland, is to fly to London and take a train (about a 5 or 6 hour journey) but that isn't necessary super cheap, either.

Other airlines that fly to EDI/GLA/other Scotland airports are Virgin Atlantic (VS), KLM, AF, BA (so via AA), and United. That said, I've never seen reasonable routing on a saver fare for United and my 1st class tickets in BA had taxes of $1700 for 2 award tickets. KLM also has expensive taxes on award flights, Air France's taxes and award flights are usually less, but not always what you might consider reasonable...and having raced through CDG it's often my last choice.

Good luck making a decision, and I'll reiterate that when flying somewhere like Scotland, timing is very important when you're looking to make flight arrangements, especially on award tickets.

@mmmears Ok so just so I’m understanding, you transfer URs through the portal, not cash out and book directly through the airline? Is there still a 1.5 redemption value or is it the same as cash when you transfer?

If you transfer URs to an airline program it's usually at 1:1, but for the flights we've booked it's so much cheaper that way. This is for J-class to Europe, not domestic coach. The flight I just took home cost $8,000 one way (yeah, that's crazy), so it would have been a ton of URs through the Chase portal, even with the 1.5 redemption on the CSR. Alternatively, it was 56K Flying Blue points, which meant it was 56K URs.

We stalk the flights before they open (so a couple of weeks before) and see what flights look good, which ones take URs or MRs as transfer points, then check to see what the points cost + taxes and fees are. Those taxes and fees really add up when flying J or first. If you find something that looks good, figure out what time/day those flights are released and be ready. If they pop up, and have available seats on points, you can transfer the URs and grab them.

There are different things to consider - then you can figure out what works best for you. Lately I've been avoiding any stops at LHR (even with the great MR>Avios deal out there) because the taxes and fees are pretty much the price of a coach flight. :( Also, while I'd love to try different airlines and go with whatever seems the fanciest, I'm also a "bird in the hand" kind of person, so I pretty much grab whatever is acceptable and available (for me it's lie flat) instead of waiting to see if something better comes along.

As @tink1970 said above, getting to/from Edinburgh is a little complicated. I do think the train looks nice. We were thinking about going there after our cruise next summer, but getting to/from CDG is just so much easier for us, so we'll fly from there instead. That will depend on which airport you're flying out of and what your options are.

I hope this helps. Please ask your questions here - I'm not an expert, but I'll try to help and I'm sure others will, too. It's a bit nerve-wracking when doing it, but if you are flexible I think you will find something that works for you.

Churning fail. Got my CSR in the mail today plus onr for my middle name AU. I totally forgot I had an AU on the CFU. The rep never mentioned it just the fee and I was like no prob I don't have an AU. I sent an SM though I'm sure I need to call.
My dh called last night to PC his CF to a CSR. The CF was a really old card and I was an AUer. The whole time he’s on the phone, I’m writing notes to him to make sure he tells them to remove the AUer. The rep still kept talking about the $75 fee for AUers. So I won’t be surprised if the card shows up with me still on the account. Another call may be in my dh’s future lol!

I'd love to go business or first to CDG, but all the flights I'm seeing are 250k RT. Where are you finding them for the fairly reasonable price of 56k each way? Ideally I'd fly out of MSP or ORD but not opposed to a positioning flight elsewhere. I've got Delta points, MR and a few UR I can use.

I'd love to go business or first to CDG, but all the flights I'm seeing are 250k RT. Where are you finding them for the fairly reasonable price of 56k each way? Ideally I'd fly out of MSP or ORD but not opposed to a positioning flight elsewhere. I've got Delta points, MR and a few UR I can use.

Are you looking at their calendar? We've seen a huge spread depending on the day and the flight. Oh, and stupidly, it's more to CDG (72K) compared to when we fly from there to another city in Europe (56K). Makes no sense, but that's what we found. When are you looking to go and are you dates flexible? (Likely it also depends on what airport you're flying from - we seem to have quite a few direct flights to CDG from my airport). We were pretty flexible with last week's trip, which was booked last April. We just chose the dates with the better points prices. For next summer, we really aren't flexible, so booked when the dates opened up. You can't book first on AF unless you have status with them. Also check KLM and BA.

My dh called last night to PC his CF to a CSR. The CF was a really old card and I was an AUer. The whole time he’s on the phone, I’m writing notes to him to make sure he tells them to remove the AUer. The rep still kept talking about the $75 fee for AUers. So I won’t be surprised if the card shows up with me still on the account. Another call may be in my dh’s future lol!

I was able to get it removed via the SM, which I made sure to save just in case. I hope they don't charge me for it.

And I was told I'd have my PP card within 3 weeks of the PC and if I don't to respond to the SM. So we'll see. @amalone1013 didn't yours not show up? I'm thinking it won't. At least it's early enough even with waiting 3 weeks I should still get it in time for WDW. It still shows as expired in the PP app.

1 for 2 is better than 0 for 2 though.

Ok I’ll bite. What are pickle wraps?
I figured someone would ask.
You cover pickles in cream cheese then wrap meat around them. We use the thin sliced corn beef. They are one of my favorite foods

ETA: I just realized some of you might think THOSE were my pickle wraps. That’s a picture from google. Mine were not nearly as pretty and we didn’t even cut ours because we eat them so fast lol

Last edited:
Wait it out! The AU Fee won’t post until the Af does. I upgraded an old CF in April and still haven’t had any charges post yet. PLUS you gets the CSR lounge access that still includes restaurants.
I was able to get it removed via the SM, which I made sure to save just in case. I hope they don't charge me for it.

And I was told I'd have my PP card within 3 weeks of the PC and if I don't to respond to the SM. So we'll see. @amalone1013 didn't yours not show up? I'm thinking it won't. At least it's early enough even with waiting 3 weeks I should still get it in time for WDW. It still shows as expired in the PP app.

1 for 2 is better than 0 for 2 though.
Mine never showed they said it should automatically come in 3 weeks (Canned response). Gave them 4 and SMd via that same message saying I haven’t gotten it yet - they expidited both mine and DHs cards and I had them in 3 days

Can anyone help me decide what to do for our pre-nights in Lima (3 total before the ABD starts).

The JW Marriott overlooks the ocean and can be booked on AA Vacations for 26,100 points / night (cash price total $862.00). The hotel is apparently huge and older, though recently updated.

Hilton is a few blocks from the ocean but newer (I think brand new in 2014 or 2015) and smaller with a boutique feel (and according to TA still a great location). I have Hilton Diamond with my Aspire, so will get free breakfast and possibly an upgrade. Available on AA Vacations for 18,000 points / night (cash price $560.00).

These will be booked from dh's account and he has 365,000 AA points; I don't have any upcoming trips where I will need them so I am okay to spend a few points for these nights. Plus he is traveling with AA until the end of this month (when he switches back to AC until the spring), so he will easily accumulate 50,000 or so more points.

I am fine with walking a few blocks to the shopping area (by the ocean), but dd and ds are not always willing to venture outside with me to shop, so location is sometimes key for me in foreign cities (I am always very aware of my surroundings and have been known to shop after dinner when they want to "chill" in the room). Other than shopping I will be with them for tours (I will book a few with Tours by Locals) and meals.

Which hotel would you choose?

Wouldn't the AU fee hit when the AF hits? So it wouldn't be right away anyway. There's no fee now.

I have a confession. Before I decided to loop DW into this hobby as P2, I added her as an AU on my CSR. I remember the AU fee hit on 1/1. The CSR’s 100k UR bonus was going to end on 1/12. In those 12 days, we decided she should go for the CSR too, so we removed her as an AU and got the fee refunded.

I think you won’t see that AU fee or it’ll get refunded. You’ll be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter