I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol about the pop-tarts. When I was pregnant with DD5 I LOVED the brown sugar version. That and frozen cinnamon mini-waffles. Now, I think they both taste too sweet. When I let them eat empty calorie snacks, my kids love the packs of processed mini-muffins. I use my Amex Gold dining credit once every few months to buy them in bulk on Boxed. They aren't interested in pop-tarts much, though.

@disneybirds - I almost booked the Residence Inn Seaport myself today - DH and I just decided to do a weekend in Boston later this fall. But I wound up using the Amex Fine Hotels program to book the Liberty (yay!) because it was only $279 on the date I was looking at. Yes, expensive, but cheap for the Liberty. Deciding factor was that we have an offer on DH's platinum card for $100 off a $500 stay at high end Marriotts. I can spend the remaining $200 needed for the offer on a work trip of mine where I'm staying at a JW Marriott.

The FHR rate gets us a $100 F&B credit, plus breakfast for 2, and some kind of upgrade to our room (I've been lucky with these and gotten suites on occassion). I pre-paid, so I get 5x MR points on the spend.

So with the offer, it looks like this:

Hotel Cost $ 344 (includes tax/resort fee)
Amex Credit $(100) (cheating a little here - crediting entire credit to this stay, although it requires another stay, but I was doing that stay anyway)
F&B Credit $(100)
Breakfast for 2 $(50) (cheating a little here - I would get breakfast anyway because I'm a platinum member)
Value of MRs $(17)
Cost of room $77

FHR rates are only available if you have an Amex Plat, but can be really good value if you hit them right!

ETA- there may be a fly in my ointment here. I'm not sure that my pre-paid FHR stay is going to trigger the amex credit - if it comes up as a charge to amex travel, I may be out of luck. May need to forego the 5x amex points, cancel this reservation and plan to pay the hotel directly when we stay. That will definitely trigger the credit.

Last edited:
You don’t really prepay but there is a cancellation window (72 hours?). If the excursion gets cancelled you don’t get charged. You can try to rebook something else based on availability. Set up a cash account and call in gift cards ahead of time for your onboard account or go to guest services.
What do you mean call in gift cards ahead of time?

We only eat jif peanut butter and I get the kind without corn syrup. I only eat welchs grape jelly and get the kind without corn syrup. I'd eat the other but when you can get it more natural there's no reason not to.

Also, you are far from the picky eater you claim to be because I am and you eat way more things than I ever will like pickles and wings. Bleh, all those sauces are gross whether it's bbq or hot sauce.
We buy Skippy creamy peanut butter. We don't even buy jelly because we don't really make PB&J sandwiches.

I'm pretty picky, but with certain things. I don't like my foods touching, especially if there's juice. I don't like meat in my pasta. The only vegetables I like are green beans and salad, sometimes broccoli but not all the time. I don't like chocolate ice cream or anything that's too chocolatey. I feel like I could go on for days lol

What do you mean call in gift cards ahead of time?
Call DCL (if you used a travel agent you have to go through them otherwise you call DCL directly) and tell them you want to apply gift cards to your onboard account. It's very simple. Otherwise just do it at guest services when you are on board. But I try to do it ahead of time so I'm not waiting in line on vacation.

I've never had a Pop Tart, and I don't want to even try one. Oh, and peanut butter should have only 2 ingredients - peanuts and salt. It's shouldn't be sweet. I buy mine at both TJ's and Whole Foods. That is all. :rolleyes1
Yes ma'am! The whole foods kind is so good - and cheap, unlike everything else in that store.

It's a wrap, not a cape. We're not superheros!
I dunno, I think there might be some superheroes on this board. Capes just haven't been on sale lately.

I am sorry she goes to Ole Mess :rotfl2: . Mississippi State graduate, so not a fan. lol But yes, crawfish boils are a big thing. Good for her for trying them. It is a hard pass for me. I can't get past the look and sucking them out. :crazy2::crazy2:

LOL - I knew nothing about southern school until she wanted to go there. Not really sure why she picked it out either. The only 2 school we visited for her were University of Alabama and Ole Miss. Alabama was just bigger than she was wanting, and she just loved the feel in Oxford. This is her senior year and we've really enjoyed visiting her over the years. Honestly, I'm going to miss going down when she's gone. I tried the crawfish once when we were there and I didn't hate it (also didn't suck anything out :rotfl2:), but just way too much work for a tiny bite of something 🤣

I said I don't eat Poptarts NOW. I used to eat them all the time as a kid. I like the frosted cherry, cinnamon, and cookies 'n cream. We never toasted them as kids, but in college I discovered how much better they are toasted.

My mom wouldn't buy toaster strudels often for us. I was never blown away by them, though.

Almost certainly. Just give Marriott a call and ask if they can extend them as a courtesy as you’d like to use them 2 weeks later. They’ll extend them out a year.
Yes @brownhaired_girl I did this last week. They generally just extend a year from when you call. I called on 9/8, so my FN certs are good until 9/8/2020 (previous expirations were in May 2020, I plan on using them in June 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter