I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@tink1970 we've been to Africa twice so feel free to ask me any questions. My next trip to Africa will be Rwanda (gorilla trekking), the Serengeti (during the migration) and the Seychelles. I had planned to go in June, 2020, but dd decided she wanted to go the Arctic for her grad trip. We've been to Zambia, South Africa and Botswana. If you plan on visiting Kruger I'd highly recommend planning 3 days in Sabi Sands -- it's one of my favorite places (we stayed at Londolozi Founders and Singita Ebony and I highly recommend both camps with Londolozi getting an edge for their truly outstanding service and hospitality).

Have some positive DPs today. It took about three weeks, but I see our [deleted] CIPs in my informed delivery today. [REDACTED]. Those 210k URs will be put to good use :)

Some of you may remember how my husband was eligible for the Schwab 100k offer, but I got the popup when I applied. He's never had a personal Amex card before and we put a ton of spend on his Business Blue, so the only thing I could think of was that we had a big charge on his BB or they were angry that he'd canceled the Starwood business card after a year. The big charge was it because I applied for him a day after we paid the statement and no pop up! Of course, we have a credit freeze and I assumed his business card would be enough. Wrong. It went pending because of the credit freeze. We lifted it today and he was approved! So we'll have 105k MRs to go with those URs.

British Air will probably get most of them. I'm probably going to speculatively transfer all our MRs this weekend before the 40% promo ends. I've gotten used to my first/business seats to London (despite the ridiculous taxes).
Ahem... 😉 😉

Please consider editing the original comment (for future generations, lol)

Last edited:

Good luck, I don't think you will have a problem! The CSR just double checked that I wanted a CF vs a CFU, read me the terms and conditions about the PC, and told me I would get the card in 3 - 5 day. I waited on hold longer than the actual call. LOL
Thanks for the details! It’s good to know what to expect before calling.

Ugh P2 got a letter needing more information for his first Citi biz AA application. He for sure wasn't going to call in so I did. Luckily he has a name that works for both genders, so no issues there. They wanted me to send in address verification paperwork and were spewing off all these technical tax forms and blah, blah, blah. I said look I'm a small business starting up, I work out of my home using the internet. I have none of that and my name is my business. She said you don't have any of those papers. I said nope. She said what about utility bills? I responded well if you count my home electric bill then yes, since I work out of home I have a bill. She said okay that will work and gave me the info to email. Phew, I was sweating bullets for a minute. I had just got him on board with the CC churning and this would of closed the door on it.

So we took MIL for precheck last friday and I took FIL/Aunt on monday. ILs both got their ktn tuesday night. Aunts went through this morning, just In time! And she is on top of it and called SW to get it added to her ticket and rr account. When we checked them in for the flight last night MILs ktn number didnt add for some reason but I dm'd sw on Twitter and they added it in under 30min
That’s great! My sister went August 30 and still no number. I keep checking online and it says “Eligibility Assessment in Progress.”
Our flights are Monday morning - I’m not very optimistic about her getting the number in time.

@*WDW*Groupie* -thanks! I'm torn between going to Uganda with a friend of mine who has a nonprofit there and being totally selfish and heading to South Africa to whale watch. Fortunately, I have time to decide :)

If I do go alone (or with DH which is sort of the same since he does none of the planning, lol), I'll definitely be pestering you!

Can’t remember if someone asked here but Groupon has Costco membership for new members for $60 and it comes with a $20gc don’t forget to use a cashback portal.

Yeah I saw this deal last night, thought about it and figured, what the heck, the membership is basically free.
So I signed up and went through the SkyPesos portal too.
Then I get my voucher and realized I paid the wrong way - I use paypal on Groupon (on my Amex Hilton).

The deal to get the cash card and coupons for free stuff required paying with a Visa and opting in to auto renew. So I've been beating myself up over this all day. I'm going to ask if I can add a Visa to my account to see if I can still get my free stuff. I am not hopeful. Fail.

Have you tried booking them individually? I've encountered lots of stuff with Marriott. They work the site to their advantage, changing prices, making packages, etc. We are supposed to be able to book standard nights, but who knows what a standard night is since they don't really tell us.

IHG says 'standard night'. Not sure who else does, but 1 king or 2 queens/doubles with no extras should be standard. Try playing with it until it is completely confused about what you want - not kidding here - you may see something pop up. And, are you trying to get the fifth night free?

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the website will not let me book the last two nights on points no matter what way I search--all four nights together, the last two nights together, the last two night separately--I get no points availability. I'm moving on to looking at Hiltons even though the locations are less convenient to where we need to be. No idea what I'll use the Marriott points for now if there's no hope of a decent redemption. The silver lining is I will remind myself of this experience whenever I feel bad that I'm not eligible for a SUB on a Marriott card.

I've posted this mini trip report on a few other Dis safari threads, but I wanted to post it here too because so many of you CC experts helped me figure out how to get my Marriott/Protea Hotel stays for free for my July 2019 London/South Africa trip, which really helped me stretch my budget! Our trip was absolutely AMAZING!!! I was a little stressed about it because I planned it 100% by myself with some help from the Fodor's folks, but no travel agent or tour company, so everything was 100% my responsibility. It went flawlessly with the exception of 2 minor car issues. 1) After an overnight flight from London to Johannesburg, we picked up the rental car and drove the 4 hours to our hotel in Hazyview just outside Kruger Park. It was around 5:15, starting to get dark and we were about 15-20 minutes away from Hazyview when a tire blew. We called Budget Roadside Assistance, but got no help. They just told us to put on the spare, turn the car into the closest Budget office (45 min away) the next day, and pick up a new car. The next thing we knew, a truck load of Afrikaners stopped to help us. It was a dad, his son, nephew and a friend. They changed the tire! They stopped because they could see we were tourists and it was getting dark. They didn't want us out on the side of the road after dark; they wanted us to truly enjoy our visit to their country. We tried to buy them some beer as a thank you, but they said no. We did take a big group picture with all of us though! They were such nice people! 2) After 25 hours of travel back to the US, we got to our car at the airport. It was about 100 degrees outside and the battery was dead. We saw a sign for airport car assistance in the parking lot, called, and were on our way home in about 15 minutes. So all in all, things went very well.

I really wish I'd started reading this thread a few years before I started planning my trip. It would have been awesome to get free flights. But alas, that was not the case. We had to pay OOP for airfare. Our flights were about $2000 over budget (my original trip budget for everything was $10,000 - pretty small). When I priced things out for Summer 2018, flights were around $1250 each, so I budgeted $5000. I couldn't find anything under $1600 for Summer 2019, so I kept waiting (shouldn't have waited!!!!) and ended up paying $1800 each. I'm still paying off that bill! We also ended up adding two more guided game drives while we were there because my DH loved them so much. Out of the 8 game drives we had, 5 of them were private with only the 4 of us in the jeep with the guide!

Here is what we (me, DH, DS22, DD20) did -
London: London House Hotel in Kensington Gardens/Bayswater area (family suite OOP)
Day 1 - double decker bus tour with The Original Tour, dinner at a pub
Day 2 - Tower of London, Thames River cruise, Trafalgar Square, Rock & Roll walking tour of Piccadilly and Soho, pub for lunch (I had high tea scheduled but got outvoted), Evensong at Westminster Abbey, pub for dinner
Day 3 - Churchill's War Room, flight to SA

South Africa:
Day 4 - Protea Hotel Hazyview (2 rooms for 4 nights plus 5th night free using Marriott points - They had a bottle of wine chilling for us in each room upon arrival, and we got free hot breakfast each morning), didn't get there until around 6:00 PM, dinner at hotel (DS loved the monkeys on the grounds here)
Day 5 - Kruger Park sunrise game drive with Kurt Safari (hotel gave us breakfast boxes to take with us, we saw a leopard sleeping on the side of the road first thing), dinner at hotel
Day 6 - had to exchange the rental car, breakfast at hotel (included each morning), lunch at Harrie's Pancake in Graskop, Panorama Route (didn't do the whole thing due to the rental car exchange and late start), dinner in town
Day 7 - breakfast at hotel, Kruger Park afternoon game drive with Kurt Safari (a whole herd of elephants coming up from the Sabi River came right up to our jeep), dinner at hotel
Day 8 - breakfast at hotel, DD and I went to the Elephant Sanctuary to brush down elephants while DH and DS golfed at Sabi River Sun, relaxed by the pool in the afternoon, cultural dinner and show at Shangaan River Club in Hippo Hollow
Day 9 - Tamboti Tented Camp (1 family tent), breakfast at hotel, then drove up through Kruger Park (drove slowly, game drive style and saw sooooo many animals! elephants, giraffes, rhinos) to Tamboti which is inside Kruger Park, cooked dinner over campfire at camp
Day 10 - sunrise game drive (saw another leopard and 2 female lions but lions were really far away), lunch at camp, sunset game drive (saw a genet and a honey badger), cooked dinner over campfire at camp
Day 11 - Shindzela Tented Camp (2 tents), after breakfast we drove out of Kruger into the Timbavati Reserve to Shindzela (a beautiful full service classic safari camp with 3 meals a day and 2 game drives a day included. The beds had hot water bottles in them and mosquito netting over them each night when we got back after dinner - so pretty!), afternoon game drive with sundowners (we saw a pride of 5 female lions with 3 sets of cubs that afternoon)
Day 12 - morning game drive, afternoon game drive (saw a hippo marking his territory, so funny!), all 3 meals at camp (and they were yummy, dinner was served in the Boma around the campfire each night - very lovely!)
Day 13 - Protea OR Tambo (2 rooms for 1 night free with points, with a complimentary late 2:00 checkout the next day), we had one last morning game drive at Shindzela (saw a 500 large herd of water buffalo at a watering hole, and the pride of lions came back to drink as well. The male lion was with them this time!!! After drinking, they stalked the herd of buffalo, we followed them hoping to see a kill, but it didn't happen. It was AMAZING nonetheless!) After one last breakfast at Shindzela, we left for OR Tambo.
Day 14 - breakfast at hotel, naps to prepare for the looooong travel day/s, early dinner at hotel, flight home that evening

We were really happy that we stayed in 3 different places in the Greater Kruger Area because each area had different animals and different size herds. We could not get over the volume of each species we saw. Driving through Kruger to Tamboti, my DS looked to the left and yelled because he couldn't believe how many giraffes were right there. There were 15-20 walking and running right next to the road. The next second my DD yells "look", so we turned to the right. There were 50 or 60 elephants all gathered at the watering hole drinking. The volume and variety were incredible! We saw all the big five multiple times, plus tons of other animals and lots of amazing birds. And even though it was winter, we saw lots of baby animals (rhino, hippos, baboons, zebras, lion cubs, giraffes, water buffalo calves, elephants). It was a GREAT trip! And I can't believe we did all that we did, saw all that we saw, and stayed in the quality lodging that we booked all for a $12,000 budget.

PS - These Marriott/Bonvoy points have also come in handy a couple of other times. We booked a free night in Charleston, SC before our Christmas cruise last December. We also booked a free night in Philadelphia for the Rolling Stones concert this past July. And we still have enough points left for 2 free nights in Virginia Beach (oceanfront); plus we are earning more each month. Thank you all so much!!!!!

Wow! Thank you so much for posting about your trip. South Africa is somewhat of an aspirational trip for us, and I'm saving your post. I really appreciate all the details, too, and I'm glad you had such an amazing trip!

@*WDW*Groupie* -thanks! I'm torn between going to Uganda with a friend of mine who has a nonprofit there and being totally selfish and heading to South Africa to whale watch. Fortunately, I have time to decide :)

If I do go alone (or with DH which is sort of the same since he does none of the planning, lol), I'll definitely be pestering you!
A friend from Congo just left after spending the week with us---he runs an anti-poaching nonprofit and is in the US fundraising for a month. We're going to try to meet up somewhere in east Africa in 2021. And we'd combine that with some safari action maybe in South Africa.

I’m a huge fan of The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith that take place in Botswana. A photo safari has been on my bucket list for over 15 years. At the time I was eyeing the Tubu Tree Camp but I’m not sure if it’s even around anymore.

I'm a big fan, too. A friend's DD did a semester abroad there and when I asked if they were fans of the book she replied, "Of course! Why do you think DD chose Botswana?" I would love to get there some day. :goodvibes

That’s great! My sister went August 30 and still no number. I keep checking online and it says “Eligibility Assessment in Progress.”
Our flights are Monday morning - I’m not very optimistic about her getting the number in time.
Is there typically a wait for the KTN? I walked out of the interview with all of ours. He wrote them all down for me. Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter