I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing I hate about most of these cell phone protections is they seem to all exclude prepaid plans.

From what is NOT covered on the IHG card:

Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephones that are received as part of a
pre-paid plan;

So that seems to imply phones on prepaid plans aren't eligible. We've been on prepaid plans for years due to the cost savings and ease of jumping around when things change. The Uber card is the only one I've found that doesn't have specific language about prepaid plans.

And as I mentioned upthread we are going to NYC on Friday morning now. DDs both took the day off, plus a friend is coming also. It will be a slumber party in the premium family room that sleeps eight (with 2 baths). Four adult women and two toddlers.

I'm now driving since I found a parking garage that will fit my vehicle 1 block away and I was able to reserve the spot. Otherwise I would have used my Amtrak points, which I want to use for auto train. Daughter was able to change her previously purchased tickets to another date, and we will all drive together. Once there we will park and pick up the car on departure.

Younger DD picked the show 'Mean Girls' and paid too much imho for the tickets and probably paid them with her 1.5% card from NFCU. We are in orchestra row D. I would have gone to TKTS and bought the cheapest seat. She said she wants good seats and that this is for her. Can't argue with that, especially when she reminded me that I took her to Lion King way back when she was little and we set 2nd row from the back and apparently she couldn't see enough. (That's why I brought binoculars, lol.) As far as theater goes I'm okay just to be inside the theater. The older DD and friend have some food places chosen but I didn't get a say and don't really mind that. Friend wants pizza and is pretty familiar with the city because her dad grew up there so they went often when she was younger.

Now I'm looking forward to this little excursion.

The only thing I hate about most of these cell phone protections is they seem to all exclude prepaid plans.

From what is NOT covered on the IHG card:

So that seems to imply phones on prepaid plans aren't eligible. We've been on prepaid plans for years due to the cost savings and ease of jumping around when things change. The Uber card is the only one I've found that doesn't have specific language about prepaid plans.

We are using Xfinity and definitely saving money as we use a lot of wifi. If we ever exceed the by the gig price ($12 plus taxes per gig) over $45, which we haven't yet, then we will switch to that plan which is unlimited but I'm sure it gets throttled at some point. That will still be cheaper than the Verizon or Virgin plans we moved from. They have the high end Iphones and Samsungs, with just a teeny bit of the cheaper options thrown in. The catch is you must have Xfinity cable or internet to get the service, which we already have been using for years.

DH was going to keep his either way, but the 2nd time he called he got 50K points. I really don't need mine. I already have another platinum (AU) card and the AF is so high, but I also don't want to anger Amex and not be able to get more cards, so I guess I need to call and hope for the best.

I’ve been seeing DPs of Amex more often offering 30k MR/$4k spend/3 months retention offers recently. The 50k MR/no spend offer seems to be rare again.

I have left too many things to the last minute. I have a Key bank mailer for new account bonus (deposit $500 get $400) that runs out on the 18th. I should have gone the first Saturday in Oct since I normally work 7-5 and don't make it out of work to get to the bank before it closes at 5 on week days. I put it off and was planning to do it yesterday since I took the day off to recover from my trip to Orlando and get things done. I totally forgot until Sunday night that Monday was a holiday and the bank was closed. Now I have to find a day to leave work early before Friday and get this set up. I never have luck setting these up on line so need to go into the branch.

Also "DH" applied for the enhanced bonus IHG card on the next to last day it was offered. He wasn't approved yet and I/he probably needs to call to see what is up. I let it go since I was on vacation. Should have gotten this application in and resolved prior to being gone.

Question for other SAH spouses. What do you put for income source? I put in household income but this is the first application that asked for income source. I didn't want to pick employed since it wasn't the person applying that was employed even though income was from employment. Curious what others do.

I’ve been seeing DPs of Amex more often offering 30k MR/$4k spend/3 months retention offers recently. The 50k MR/no spend offer seems to be rare again.

Thank you for the info. TBH I'd be thrilled with any offer at this point. DH has put so much on his Plat that he would have been annoyed if he couldn't get the 50K but mine has seen very little use so any kind a of a bonus would be welcome.

I have left too many things to the last minute. I have a Key bank mailer for new account bonus (deposit $500 get $400) that runs out on the 18th. I should have gone the first Saturday in Oct since I normally work 7-5 and don't make it out of work to get to the bank before it closes at 5 on week days. I put it off and was planning to do it yesterday since I took the day off to recover from my trip to Orlando and get things done. I totally forgot until Sunday night that Monday was a holiday and the bank was closed. Now I have to find a day to leave work early before Friday and get this set up. I never have luck setting these up on line so need to go into the branch.

Also "DH" applied for the enhanced bonus IHG card on the next to last day it was offered. He wasn't approved yet and I/he probably needs to call to see what is up. I let it go since I was on vacation. Should have gotten this application in and resolved prior to being gone.

Question for other SAH spouses. What do you put for income source? I put in household income but this is the first application that asked for income source. I didn't want to pick employed since it wasn't the person applying that was employed even though income was from employment. Curious what others do.

I put our total household income (meaning basically DH's income I guess) but I've never been asked for my source. Is this for a bank or a card? I've never played with the bank bonuses.

Here is a Marriott Bonvoy query and watch:

For those of us who signed up for the SPG Lux/alias Marriott Brilliant in August of 2018 when it was first introduced, who has or has anyone received their 50K certificate?

I'm watching for mine everyday. I signed up on August 23rd, my annual fee posted and was paid immediately, so we are at 52 days or 7 and a half weeks. I know some have gotten theirs earlier as a result of upgrading a card with an earlier anniversary, but I'm talking original application dates here. I want to know the day these free nights will hit, so I can plan my next strategy.

For those of us who signed up for the SPG Lux/alias Marriott Brilliant in August of 2018 when it was first introduced, who has or has anyone received their 50K certificate?

I'm watching for mine everyday. I signed up on August 23rd, my annual fee posted and was paid immediately, so we are at 52 days or 7 and a half weeks. I know some have gotten theirs earlier as a result of upgrading a card with an earlier anniversary, but I'm talking original application dates here. I want to know the day these free nights will hit, so I can plan my next strategy.
No certificate here. I signed up 8/25/18.

No certificate here. I signed up 8/25/18.
Thanks. I'm now guessing it's going to be Nov 1.

Edit: okay now I'm getting into dates:

Account opened 8/23/18
annual fee charged: 9/10/19 - date of statement close
payment rec'd by Amex 9/19/19
Bill due date 10/5/19
next statement close was 10/11/19

What is the last date that would elicit a full refund of the annual fee if one were to use up the $300 credit and close the account? (NOT closing, but just trying to figure this out since I have little to no experience with account closings.)

Last edited:

Ahem... DH... signed up 8/27, AF hit on 9/17. No cert yet.

I'v been watching almost every day because I was thinking of downgrading it after we use the credit this weekend...

UPDATE:
Called recon and it seems all they needed was a proof of address. I recently moved in August, so a recent move may have you go through recon for additional verification. No questions about my "business" etc.

:rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2

UPDATE: So I faxed in my cable bill on Friday, called yesterday to see if they received it and the agent says "we haven't received it yet and it can take up to 7 business days for us to get it. If you bring it into a Chase branch, it can take up to 48 hours for us to receive the document depending on how they send it" :earseek:So I drive on over to Chase on my lunch and give the document to them. Called this morning and they still haven't received my proof of address. The agent tells me to call back on Friday, so now I'm stressed out that they won't receive it by tomorrow and I'll miss out on the 80k.

The bonus locks in on the approval date right? They already have notes on my account that I've pretty much called every single day. I don't want to kick the nest, but I guess I pretty much have no choice but to call back tomorrow for a last chance effort to push the app through..

:badpc:

Ahem... DH... signed up 8/27, AF hit on 9/17. No cert yet.

I'v been watching almost every day because I was thinking of downgrading it after we use the credit this weekend...

Glad you are watching also. Are you thinking of doing the downgrade and hoping for an upgrade offer? I'm not there - I am more along the lines of upgrading my original personal card sometime next year just before the night is due to come out to get two 50ks then.

Is it just my imagination, or did a see a post recently about a CIP application stuck on "30 days" for a while?

P2 applied CIP on the 6th and the status line is still giving us the 30-days message. Just curious if anyone else is seeing the same.

Last edited:
Glad you are watching also. Are you thinking of doing the downgrade and hoping for an upgrade offer? I'm not there - I am more along the lines of upgrading my original personal card sometime next year just before the night is due to come out to get two 50ks then.
Yeah, hoping for an upgrade on his original personal. Figured why not... :) I like your idea, it could be my backup... 🤔

Regarding cell phone coverage/protection.

I will be buying a new phone soon. Which card would be best for the purchase of the phone? Purchasing from apple, at&t, or best buy if that makes a difference.

Do any of my cards have insurance like the ihg that was mentioned?

I have:
CSP
CF
CFU (currently earning 3x)
Amex Everyday
Discover It
United Mileage (the no fee one)
Disney (the no fee one)

Regarding cell phone coverage/protection.

I will be buying a new phone soon. Which card would be best for the purchase of the phone? Purchasing from apple, at&t, or best buy if that makes a difference.

Do any of my cards have insurance like the ihg that was mentioned?

I have:
CSP
CF
CFU (currently earning 3x)
Amex Everyday
Discover It
United Mileage (the no fee one)
Disney (the no fee one)

I have the Disney Visa and Chase Freedom of the group above and these two do not have cell phone bill coverage. The Chase Freedom does have purchase protection but I didn't read in depth to see how extensive it is.

I have cell phone coverage of some sort on several cards so I intend to narrow it down and figure out which is best for me before I buy a new phone. I've got 3-4 months before I have to get serious, and things change. Chase just added it to IHG, which surprised me. It's a card I will keep so mindless coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter