I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t post much but got my 100K AMEX Platinum through CardMatch today! This marks my first foray into AMEX. I know the general advice is to spend over all three billing periods and also to keep spend up to “keep the RAT” happy and “avoid the pop-up”. What exactly does that mean?
Thanks!

Congratulations! RAT I believe stands for Rewards Abuse Team. If you get an Amex card, meet the spend and then hardly ever use it again, the next time you go to apply for an Amex, you might get a pop-up window saying you're ineligible for the bonus due to "gaming" behavior.

I've noticed that people with only a few Amex cards seem especially susceptible. Maybe because Amex doesn't have much history to go off of. So if you want to get more Amex in the future, keep using your card.

Congratulations! RAT I believe stands for Rewards Abuse Team. If you get an Amex card, meet the spend and then hardly ever use it again, the next time you go to apply for an Amex, you might get a pop-up window saying you're ineligible for the bonus due to "gaming" behavior.

I've noticed that people with only a few Amex cards seem especially susceptible. Maybe because Amex doesn't have much history to go off of. So if you want to get more Amex in the future, keep using your card.

thanks so much! I’ll probably make this my primary travel card then, keeping the CSR for dining... really appreciate it!

I totally get this struggle of being “in too deep”. I REALLY struggle to explain churning to the average joe anymore IRL unless they are very interested in learning!

Wait...people are spending...$200-$300 on...headphones???? I think I am quite out of touch with normal people these days 🤣
Don’t judge me lol! I’m fully aware it’s ridiculous. I tend to be pretty frugal but around Christmas we go a little crazy.

I'm glad most seemed to have a good day with Disney+. We were able to get on for all of 5 mins this morning before we had to leave to take dd17 to school. During that time, my dh tried to log in at work and couldn't get in. He tried a couple more times and it locked him out. He's spent 3 hours (cumulatively) on the phone with Disney - on hold ONLY - has never gotten to speak with anyone. I think his head is about to explode from frustration. He's an IT guy. He just doesn't get how a company the size of Disney can be so bad with IT stuff.

So not only did we not get any Disney+ time, I feel like a bad mom. We've looked so forward to the launch and I promised my boys that if they did their school work without complaining and in a timely fashion, they could choose some shows to watch this afternoon. Of course, we go to watch this afternoon thinking that we'd still be logged in but nope, we'd been kicked out. Ugh, then add the MDE issues to all this and I want to cry :(

I'm glad most seemed to have a good day with Disney+. We were able to get on for all of 5 mins this morning before we had to leave to take dd17 to school. During that time, my dh tried to log in at work and couldn't get in. He tried a couple more times and it locked him out. He's spent 3 hours (cumulatively) on the phone with Disney - on hold ONLY - has never gotten to speak with anyone. I think his head is about to explode from frustration. He's an IT guy. He just doesn't get how a company the size of Disney can be so bad with IT stuff.

So not only did we not get any Disney+ time, I feel like a bad mom. We've looked so forward to the launch and I promised my boys that if they did their school work without complaining and in a timely fashion, they could choose some shows to watch this afternoon. Of course, we go to watch this afternoon thinking that we'd still be logged in but nope, we'd been kicked out. Ugh, then add the MDE issues to all this and I want to cry :(

Sorry it didn't work out for you today. I couldn't get in this morning with the password I was sure was correct - went through the reset password option and has worked fine since then.

I am so sorry. I just made DH try to access it and it doesn’t recognize my email I used to sign up. I guess I will try later. I’m hoping We didn’t waste our money with the prepay option.

I am so sorry. I just made DH try to access it and it doesn’t recognize my email I used to sign up. I guess I will try later. I’m hoping We didn’t waste our money with the prepay option.
I don't think we did. I'm sure in a few days, a week, maybe things will settle and we can get in. It's just frustrating that Disney is so ill-prepared for this kind of thing. Over and over they do not anticipate the 'crowds' they will have.

I don't think we did. I'm sure in a few days, a week, maybe things will settle and we can get in. It's just frustrating that Disney is so ill-prepared for this kind of thing. Over and over they do not anticipate the 'crowds' they will have.
OMG I am so sorry about the issues with Disney+. I thought it was weird that my account was telling me my subscription would stop if I didn't update my CC when I am paid up through 2022. At least I can get in 😔

Absolutely agree. I just went through my email and then credit card statements. I definitely paid for it. But I also don’t want to hassle with it. Especially since you know the person you finally talk to about it will be at a loss of why it doesn’t work!

I just posted a Southwest tidbit on DISchurners!
Let’s keep discussion on this on the DISchurners news thread as responses to my comment. Thanks!
For those that like this news...it seems like you have until Saturday at midnight to take advantage...

AND I just posted some additional thoughts that are worth reading over on the News thread...HERE

Last edited:
How much spend do you put on your AMEX accounts after MSR? I finished MSR on my Hilton Biz last week, so I was just planning to pay a small bill each month with the card until I close the account.

This is my plan too. I finished my spend in 2 months. But I certainly won't just leave them hanging.

It depends. Some months <$100, some several hundred. I try not to let any statement close with a zero balance. I also try to split up the MSR over 3 statement periods. The specifics of the pop-up are a mystery though, so who knows if this is enough.

I try to do the same with my HH personal as well. Sometimes it ends up just being used for one of their offers. Otherwise I will certainly use it for some organic spend of at least a hundred or so.

I totally get this struggle of being “in too deep”. I REALLY struggle to explain churning to the average joe anymore IRL unless they are very interested in learning!

Wait...people are spending...$200-$300 on...headphones???? I think I am quite out of touch with normal people these days 🤣

Some might. Then again some of us might have purchased $279 Bose noise cancelling headphones during a deal of the day when they were $154 and stacked that with an Amazon 20% off offer and stacked that with a use 1 MR point and get $30 off offer :rolleyes1

Kind of like, just because PlanePrincess and I took a $57,000 to get to and stay in Dubai and the Maldives doesn't mean we paid that much. $235 in taxes and fees is closer to the mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!