I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only reason I use an iPhone is because all of my music is on iTunes. Otherwise I would gladly use another brand. I miss my pink razor so bad that I would buy this new one in a heartbeat lol.

You can convert your iTunes songs into MP3 and play them on anything. There's an option in iTunes to do that.

But before switching I'd look into other apps and features you use that you may not think about. Sometimes it's the small things that get missed when changing platforms. Most things have an equivalent, but might work differently to achieve the same goal, and others are just poor substitutes. Most people I know that switch find at least one thing they miss about the old phone. I just hope that whatever I miss is minor :) (and that this phone keeps kicking for another couple years so I don't have to miss it anytime soon!)

Does anyone want to go to Prague? There are a lot of AA saver biz awards to PRG this Summer. I was going to fly to London and than CPH. I thought that would be the easiest. Now I'm doing 4 nights in PRG and 1 night in CPH. I got a really great flight into PRG first-class to PHL and then Biz to PRG.

I got approved for the Hilton Biz I need more hotel points for some weekend trips I have planned.

Unfortunately, I used up all my Marriott points on the AA flights. Marriott has great redemptions in Prague 57.000 points total for 4 nights at a really nice Marriott. I booked it, but I need to come up with the points. Do UR's transfer to Marriott or should I just get a Marriott card? I've used most of my MR's, but I've got a lot of time to come up with more. I need to use the MR's I have right now for a flight from PRG to CPH. I'm thinking I should have gotten the personal Marriott Amex, but that would have put me back up to 6/24 for the next 16 months. The Hilton redemptions are high in Prague. :sad2: Hyatt doesn't exist there.

I'm planning a trip this summer to Prague, Vienna and Budapest, but I should have enough Marriott points to cover all or most of my hotels (around 400K-thank you travelling husband). I haven't booked any hotels yet-I have to get on that, if I can get DH to focus. I first have to decide how many nights to spend in each city. Why did you decide on 4 nights in Prague? I was thinking, I could do it quite well in 3. Can you do a business Marriott Amex?

You can convert your iTunes songs into MP3 and play them on anything. There's an option in iTunes to do that.

But before switching I'd look into other apps and features you use that you may not think about. Sometimes it's the small things that get missed when changing platforms. Most things have an equivalent, but might work differently to achieve the same goal, and others are just poor substitutes. Most people I know that switch find at least one thing they miss about the old phone. I just hope that whatever I miss is minor :) (and that this phone keeps kicking for another couple years so I don't have to miss it anytime soon!)
Well my songs don’t really start on iTunes anyway so they might already be in mp3 form. I’d have to check. I definitely like the format of an iPhone compared to dh’s phone which is Samsung

Way to crush everything I loved about DTD and dislike about DS... 🤣 As a person who has been going to DTD/DS occasionally on trips for 12 years Disney Springs is a major letdown and I just don't go there anymore (but that's just my opinion). :P😂 (I just was having fun rephrasing your comment in jest - no churners were harmed in the making of this joke)

I will continue to cling to my nostalgia and dislike the overpriced "non-Disney" shopping stores that appear to be targeted at capturing foreign $$. Good news though, we don't all have to agree.

I parked in the Lime garage and walked both ways from one end to the other on this trip. I tried Pepe - some gazpacho and some chicken croquettes - both good - the gazpacho came in a bottle that was easy takeout. I also tried Poutine for the first time and was not a fan. Their cheese curds seemed like over cooked mozzarella instead of the freshness that cheese curds are actually supposed to be. Also, the fries on my order were huge steak fries instead of the thin and crispy fries on real poutine that make dipping them into the gravy so tasty. But, they did give a huge serving so for someone who is a non purist, they won't go hungry. I ate a third or less and tossed it.

I saw Art's and reluctantly bypassed it as I just don't eat a lot and couldn't do justice to a meal with so many lovely carbs!

I'm also not a fan of the overpriced stores, but I did see a few that Amex sends offers for. Johnny Was, plus others. No current offers so I didn't go in. I was actively looking for a pair of black flat shoes - found those at Ecco at the outlets nearby. While at the Outlet with my friend we stood in line to get into Character Warehouse for 45 minutes. We then stood in line to pay to get out. Bought a few things but nothing I had to have. Later in my trip I saw the line was shorter and got in it for a hot second and then realized my time was worth more then any perceived savings there. The CM said by 2 or 3pm, the line is usually gone. At least I didn't pay for parking. I have a secret and convenient spot that people just don't park in.

TGIF question:
Do you have travel plans in 2020? If so, to where?

What about farther out-2021 and beyond?

For me:

Feb/Mar-Viking Australia/NZ cruise

July-Scotland, Slovenia and Croatia bday trip

August-DH's Baltic cruise bday trip

Oct-quick Bahamas cruise for DM bday (also her grand slam cruise)

Sadly, nothing planned yet for 2021 or beyond-I suspect we might book another Viking (ocean) cruise in Feb if we enjoy our experience.

ok in regard to that last post of mine about "needing' another trip to Maui...... I've been ignoring all the talk here of decent airline seats for points bc,well,I had no need until now. But I "need" to go back to my happy place, and I "need" to convince DH it's going to be a more pleasant (but still lengthy) experience. I'm looking at AA bookings from west coast (or something) to OGG.... last time (only time) we just flew basic cheap. It was basic. What should I be looking for in regard to more comfortable seats for this? (I can cobble together some cheap airfare from east coast to west first on my own) but any pointers from those of you who have experience booking nicer seats? No real dates yet,just contemplating if this is even possible right now. It's either this trip or I'm going to convince him to go on another cruise next year....

Tell me it’s not a giant waste to spend 50,000 ur points to cancel my sw flight and spend 6 extra hours in Disney.

I don’t have enough aa miles to book the flight and it’s 88k aa miles at this point.

Hmm it looks like I could get 5 extra hours for 27k more sw rr points then I’ve already spent.

I’ve got 64,000 rr points and 360,000 ur points. And 12k aa miles lol.
? sorry I wouldn't use 50k UR for 6 hours in Disney....

TGIF question:

For me:

Sadly, nothing planned yet for 2021 or beyond-I suspect we might book another Viking (ocean) cruise in Feb if we enjoy our experience.
That sounds like a great year of trips :-) Mine isn't nearly as exciting, but still good for me

Feb- 5 days in Orlando-either Universal or Discovery Cove/SW

March- Long weekend girls' trip in Orlando

March-Zion/Bryce National Parks, maybe Grand Canyon, and a few days in Vegas

Summer- I would like to get out to Maine, but I will have to wait until my boys' travel baseball schedule comes out. Between the two of them it's 10 weekends of baseball so I don't know if we will even be able to get a trip in summer.

October-probably back to Orlando for a short trip, maybe Universal if we liked it or Disney

I'm thinking about Costa Rica for Christmas or 2021 Spring Break. I'd also like to get back to Disneyland sometime.

I'm definitely heading to the crying corner now. I've just realized I messed up the Chase Business Checking bonus. Ugh! I was looking at my account and realized I've dipped below the required "minimum balance of $2500 for 60 days", by $100.
I went to pay a chase business credit card and it automatically linked to the new account, so I used it. I was concentrating more on transactions and forgot about the balance you need to maintain. I've transferred over more money, but I'm thinking it's a lost cause at this point.
Anyone care to give me hope, the bonus still might post? This has been a rough week for me!
There might be hope for my bonus. I found on DOC, the $2500 has to be in the account by 20 Business days from opening. I opened the account Oct. 21.
If I start counting with the 21st - TODAY is the 20th day! I’m heading to chase with cash to deposit.
Does Veterans Day count as a business day? If not, I have until Monday, but still going today to make a deposit. 🤞🏻 Wish me luck!

The Kia Niro was fabulous to drive to Disney and back. Fuel economy was excellent. Used Shell and BP gift cards that I had on hand for the last year or two. I got them at least 20% off, depending on offer. (Anything less and the gas price at their stations ate up the savings versus other gas outlets.) So, I spent $94 on gas for an almost two week trip which included going to Dunedin and the beach also. My normal gas spend would be in the $400 range. This is probably higher than if I sought out the least expensive gas. I'm going to check actual gallons purchased and figure it out that way later on. But I had these cards and they needed to be used. Also, BP is a little disingenuous - they charge you the 'card' price when you use a gift card. Shell didn't do that.

When I got up to leave my South Carolina hotel yesterday, it was in the very low thirties. Heated seats - yes! Heated steering wheel - oh wow!!!! I'd brought a coat but no gloves. The steering wheel was toasty in seconds and at the moment was the feature I can now no longer live without.

Over all, the car is comfortable, drives and handles well, has great pickup and I've learned a few things but still have a way to go with learning how to use all the options, as it is loaded with what I think may be almost everything available at the time of manufacture.

TGIF question:

For me:

Well, as I posted earlier, I have a Vienna, Pargue, Budapest trip planned for late August 2020. So far I only have the flights to and from Europe booked. So I will have 12 days to allocate between these cities. I'm thinking 5 days in Vienna, 4 in Budapest, 3 in Prague. I still need to figure out intercity transportation and hotels. I have a ton of Marriott points and will probably have a significant amount of Hyatt points once DH hits his current spend...so thinking Park Hyatt in Vienna?

I am also working to get a Southwest CP for 2020 also usable in 2021). This will get me a trip to Vegas at least, and probably one or two to Florida this year. I actually have no concrete plans yet. Other than my big Europe trip this summer, I am planning to stay domestic through the end of 2021 (Unless DD21 decides to work in Europe after she graduates). Most of my points right now are being used to ferry my children to and from college.

My biggest obstacle to taking trips is DH's work schedule.

I'm strongly considering BWPPI, booking through the portal. We're going to be there for 5 days (plan right now is 4 park days, and maybe an Angels game in between), so being right across the street will be nice!

Is the rate refundable? If so, there's no harm in booking now and checking back to see if the points cost went down and rebooking later..

Trips-

August 2020- OCMD, Philly, hershey, ILs town (not a tourist destination lol)

December 2020- Disney cruise from TX to Mexico

May? 2021 (trying to decide wether to pair with a conference in April or not)- Disneyland

Points are earned or in motion for all of these except the DL hotel so our next move is figuring out Marriott cards for that.

Now that my husband’s new job doesn’t block travel Jan-April like his old oke I am debating a trip in spring 2020. We also will probably do something fall 2021 but not sure what.

TGIF question:

February - work trip to Anaheim - Disneyland by myself
March - Mazatlan, MX for the week to visit family
June/July - Utah's Mighty 5 + Antelope Canyon
October - Somewhere not sure where, for kids fall break
December - Grand Canyon during Christmas week

May/June - Amsterdam & Spain - DD really wants to visit Anne Frank's secret room, then on to Spain to visit the family that hosted DD1 last year and hopefully visit the family that will be hosting DD2.
November - Disney World - RunDisney Wine & Dine

Japan to visit my BFF & Tokyo Disney

Last edited:
TGIF question:

For me:

Sounds like an awesome 2020!
For me: Jan/Feb Weekend to MI for Mom's weekend
Feb/March Aruba for Spring Break
March weekend to MI again for honor's convocation
Memorial day weekend to Naples
Otherwise, TBD. DH is planning a knee replacement and I might retire around that time.
Nothing planned vacation wise for 2021 but we both plan on being retired!

And, initially I budgeted $400 for gas, $500 for spending, $1000 for food, plus all free rooms, of course. That's roughly $1900 in cash and gift cards. I spent under $600 of that including gas and food, new shoes $95 and $50 at CW. I didn't count the gift card I used to upgrade a 7 day hopper to my annual pass, but a third of that over 3 trips is still only $92 more. Oh and the food I had at Fenway was credited away by my Amex Brilliant card. There's still some of that credit left, maybe $50-$60. Most of my trip was solo, makes it a LOT less expensive or should I say, savings needed.

I think I should go back. Between Dec 7 to 16. Seriously. Let me count a few pennies up again.

Hi all, just running by with a quick note.:) Normally, I don't pay much attention to Hilton purchase points promotions (because we here on the DIS like free!) but I got curious this morning and decided to take a closer look. I also have kind of written off the Grand Wailea on Maui because one night is now 95,000 points and that hurts. But this is interesting... since the 5th night is free on points bookings, it comes out to 380,000 points. If you purchased the maximum amount (160,000) you'd end up with 320,000 points for $1600. You'd need to earn only 60,000 more at that point to have enough for a 5 night trip. That's not hard to do even with the NAF Hilton Amex card. If you got in on the NAF for 1 year Aspire deal a week or two ago, you could add a free night using your cert and have $250 resort credit to spend while you're there. Here's the cash cost for 5 nights in March. (you can find standard availability throughout 2020 by using flexible search) . That's a SUPER redemption, when you consider most of the time, Hilton points are worth half a cent per point, at best. I'm a BIG fan of choosing redemptions wisely with Hilton and sometimes... sometimes it can even be worthwile to purchase them. (gasp)

View attachment 452577
Here's a great video on the Grand Wailea and he has another good comparison of the Hilton Waikoloa Village on the Big Island if you're interested.

I'm guessing you're looking at the Buy Hilton Points With 100% Bonus promotion that's running through Tuesday, November 26, 2019?

I agree that it can make sense sometimes to buy points to top off what you already have from credit card rewards, or get a discount on a room by redeeming purchased points instead of paying the cash rate. This is especially true at high end, high cpp properties where the difference between the points cost and cash price tends to be wider. You picked an excellent example!

I'll add that Hilton makes it very easy to transfer and pool points. A Hilton Honors member can transfer up to 500k points per calendar year, and receive up to 2 million points each year. You can do this all online, there's no fee to do it, and points are transferred usually in about 24 hours. So, if anyone wants to take advantage of this promotion, P1 can buy up to 160,000 points pre-bonus (total of 320,000 with the 100% bonus), and P2 can buy just as much and combine them with P1 for a sweet redemption.

Last edited:
hmmm. this is strange-
#1- Dh SWA biz card Af is due- no anniversary points in his acct tho. I've been waiting for a few weeks ...nothing. I'm going to have him call and cancel this weekend anyway. Is this something new,no points till after AF is paid?
#2- why is my rakuten schedule different from all of yours? I got a pp rebate 2 weeks ago...

It seems that AMEX has INCREASED the offer on the Business Green Card:

Public Offer is now: 15,000 MR / 3k spend. $0 AF first year, then $95
Even BETTER, the SUPPORT LINK Offer is: 25,000 MR / 3k spend $0 AF first year, then $95

Update those links on DISchurners folks! Biz Green is not necessarily anything special, but for those pursuing MRs you probably end up grabbing it at some point. Keep in mind all the regular stuff with Amex apply here including things like:
- Don't MS your MSR, meet it slowly and methodically
- Try to keep regular spend on your Amex Cards
- DO NOT self-support, you can cross-support between players though

Happy Friday folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter