I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question for my resident experts: Even though I've met the MSR on my Amex Hilton Biz, I'm still within the initial MSR Period (does that make sense?). I want to buy a VisaGC for my teenage son for Christmas (he wants to go clothes shopping). I would buy it at Fry's (Kroger) with other groceries. Anyone think this might make Amex freak out? If so, I'll use CIP instead but I need to put some spend on the Amex so I don't get the popup in another couple months.

You will be fine buying a VGC (+ gum or whatever) with your Amex at Kroger. The issue has to do with how much detailed info Amex gets from the merchant. Office supply stores are known for passing on detailed data to Amex. On my Hilton Biz this month, where I made a split payment on a VGC mixed with other supplies at Staples, the whole transaction got tagged with the gift card purchase detail even though I only put $10 on the Amex:

Compare to a VGC purchase at Safeway (I've looked at my Kroger store purchases and they look the same as my Safeway purchases):

Both purchases were made this month with my Hilton Biz, and I'm counting the Safeway one towards MSR. My Schwab Plat SUB posted this month with a big "grocery" purchase at a Kroger store in the MSR.

I need a UR cashout primer...how do I know when calculating what a cash amount would cost in UR? I'm eyeing a hotel room for $206.00....what would that cost me? it's the same across all cards,right? (I have csr) I need to bookmark a calculator for doing this
If you want cash to your bank account (or a statement credit) then all UR cards give you 1 cent per point. If you want to cash out enough points to cover a $206 charge then you'll need 20,600 points (206 / .01).

If you start to redeem points for cash in the UR portal, you can tell it how much cash you want and it'll fill in the correct amount of points to redeem. Assuming you have a healthy points balance you could also use that page for calculations... just don't hit the continue button until you're ready to actually cash out :) (it'll only calculate up to the amount of points you have in your balance though)

I guess this hotel room isn't available on the Chase portal? Or there's a better value in booking directly and not using the portal for the better 1.5 redemption rate of the CSR?

Does anyone have experience with the Wells Fargo Business Platinum Credit Card? We currently have about 150,000 Go Far Rewards and we are looking to add to that number. Looking in the Wells Fargo Go Far Rewards travel portal, it looks like we can use those points for Disney World resorts. Any specific guidance on the application, or pretty much same info as on other Business applications? Can you transfer the bonus points easily from the Business Card Rewards Program to the Go Far Rewards Program? Any and all information/guidance is appreciated.

Thanks

Just wanted to give you all a quick update.

As some of you know, on Oct 30 I was diagnosed with a rare stage 2 liver cancer. Surgery was recommended as well as meeting with the transplant team about a possible transplant if surgery failed. I have had every test possible in the last few weeks.
However, when my case was present to the tumor board at the major hospital the pathologist didn’t agree with the findings of the biopsy. I’ve been waiting on pins and needles and finally heard back after they redid the pathology.
pathology came back as not cancer. I still have a benign tumor that I will need to have a procedure to stop blood flow to stop growth but no surgery and no transplant.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers during this tough time. I will be closely monitored and still need to have the procedure but my surgeon said to enjoy the holidays and we will worry about all that in a few weeks.

He also said go to Disney! Enjoy your trip!
That's amazing!! Enjoy you trip :-)

As some of you know, on Oct 30 I was diagnosed with a rare stage 2 liver cancer. Surgery was recommended as well as meeting with the transplant team about a possible transplant if surgery failed. I have had every test possible in the last few weeks.
However, when my case was present to the tumor board at the major hospital the pathologist didn’t agree with the findings of the biopsy. I’ve been waiting on pins and needles and finally heard back after they redid the pathology.
pathology came back as not cancer. I still have a benign tumor that I will need to have a procedure to stop blood flow to stop growth but no surgery and no transplant.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers during this tough time. I will be closely monitored and still need to have the procedure but my surgeon said to enjoy the holidays and we will worry about all that in a few weeks.

I am so happy for you!

So glad to hear about your update/new diagnosis! Enjoy your trip, you deserve it!

If you want cash to your bank account (or a statement credit) then all UR cards give you 1 cent per point. If you want to cash out enough points to cover a $206 charge then you'll need 20,600 points (206 / .01).

If you start to redeem points for cash in the UR portal, you can tell it how much cash you want and it'll fill in the correct amount of points to redeem. Assuming you have a healthy points balance you could also use that page for calculations... just don't hit the continue button until you're ready to actually cash out :) (it'll only calculate up to the amount of points you have in your balance though)

I guess this hotel room isn't available on the Chase portal? Or there's a better value in booking directly and not using the portal for the better 1.5 redemption rate of the CSR?
thank you! It's a park stay fly deal that I can't seem to get using points or free nights.... I'm considering it for my next trip- my options are park nearby/shuttle to airport/it's prob. gonna be COLD out -or- use the points, park at sheraton attached to airport and have easy indor access to gates and back again. cost is my consideration (as usual) It will likely cost $60-70 for my weeks parking offsite, or the URs for the room/park package. I'm leaning towards ease and convenience..... it's about the 'cost' of a "support" bonus..... hmmm. I really am too cheap. What I'd really like is to easily use points for a park and fly deal.

Since everyone is so Mac smart here, I have an old ancient IMAC, maybe 2002ish? Anyway, it hasn't been used in forever but ALL of my pictures are on there. I can't figure out how to get them off. I went through about 3 years ago and thought I put them all on an external drive. But when I went to look at the pictures a year later there was nothing there. I think it was because I tried to move them in Iphoto form and that didn't work. Anyone know how I can get them? I couldn't even save them to my Shutterfly account because the operating system is so outdated nothing will work. I hope I can still get them. They are all my kids baby pics. Wahhhh I should have been better about backing them up somewhere. Tagging @PolyRob and @CODisFan for help.
Oh, wow, that IS ancient! It’s been a while since I’ve seen the older OS with iPhoto, but I think you can export the photos from iPhoto to the external drive. Make sure the external is formatted for Mac or if not spec’d for a Mac you need to format it using disk utility to FAT32 (just in case you ever want to read it with a Windows pc). Then you should be able to get into iPhoto, select the photos and export (maybe File-Export or iPhoto-Export??). If none of that makes sense or works, holler and I can do some research. My memory tends to move on with the new OSs :oops:
Sound advice @CODisFan! I believe on the last release I had it was the File button, but I could be wrong.

If migrating it to another Mac, you may even be able to copy the actual iPhoto library under the Pictures folder and import it to Photos. The new Mac Photos app should take it no problem, BUT the actual exporting of individual images to an external will give you that true backup you can take/upload anywhere.

Speaking of old technology, I have a very old iPad that will not charge. I took it to the apple store and the "genius" said that there was no point in replacing the battery or doing anything else to try to start it because even if it starts, it won't work because apple no longer supports whatever operating system it is running.

Anyone here have any suggestions about what to do with it? Right now it is just taking up space in a drawer.

I do believe my phone is unlocked or unlockable, Ive had it over two years and it is mine. I fairly lost in the whole swapping SIMs in other countries zone so it looks like I have some reading to do. I have bookmarked the recommended site in case I go this route.

We do have two Contactless cards and they happen to be the cards with NFTF. Its good to know that these are pretty common in Europe as they are still pretty hit or miss for me locally. I am a little concerned about the whole needing a PIN enabled CC in most of Europe after the new year will mean. Its a discussion on CC right now. Hopefully its a big to do about nothing, at least for Americans using the typical non PIN CCs.

Awesome! I would say that it is totally worth it to do the research into SIM swapping then. You can even order your SIM in advance for a lot of different companies (through Amazon or ebay), and have it topped up and ready to go before you land. I looked back through my records, and I've actually had this 3 sim since 2011! As long as it sees some activity once every 6 months (like sending a text for 3p or making a call for 2p) it stays active, and since the U.S. is one of the roaming countries (http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_international/Roaming_Abroad/Destinations), that is easy peasy. If I run low while I'm not in the UK, I use mobiletopup.co.uk to add money (they do charge a £1.49 service fee per top-up, though).

For the contactless cards, we've found that Europe is lightyears ahead of the US for using those, thank goodness.

Speaking of old technology, I have a very old iPad that will not charge. I took it to the apple store and the "genius" said that there was no point in replacing the battery or doing anything else to try to start it because even if it starts, it won't work because apple no longer supports whatever operating system it is running.

Anyone here have any suggestions about what to do with it? Right now it is just taking up space in a drawer.
I have an old iPad like that! Technically the 3rd generation, but the first with Retina display. It sits dead just like yours because I don't want to search for a 30-pin dock connector LOL The unit was so sluggishly slow and heavy that it is no loss to me. That iPad is my ONE Apple product I regret ever purchasing. 100% complete waste of money 🤣 Tablets were so new at the time and I had an iPhone and MacBook Pro.

:cool1:
It’s normal to bake a pizza at 7 am right?
Of course it is! But is it normal for you to be up at 7 a.m.?
And the latest flavor.....
https://www.wivb.com/news/national/michigan-parent-claims-worms-found-in-pop-tart/

Does anyone have experience with the Wells Fargo Business Platinum Credit Card? We currently have about 150,000 Go Far Rewards and we are looking to add to that number. Looking in the Wells Fargo Go Far Rewards travel portal, it looks like we can use those points for Disney World resorts. Any specific guidance on the application, or pretty much same info as on other Business applications? Can you transfer the bonus points easily from the Business Card Rewards Program to the Go Far Rewards Program? Any and all information/guidance is appreciated.

Thanks
No personal experience but you can transfer points between the two online.
https://milenomics.com/2018/04/why-and-how-transfering-wells-fargo-rewards-between-accounts/
That's from last year but there's still an online option, might just look different. Also looks like there's some kind of bonus when redeeming the Business rewards online. Little vague on how that pays out but almost seems like a 1.1 value maybe? But with no experience don't know what the options look like to know which direction is better to transfer to.

@gottalovepluto didn't you get this card? And a Propel? How do the redemptions compare?

I need a UR cashout primer...how do I know when calculating what a cash amount would cost in UR? I'm eyeing a hotel room for $206.00....what would that cost me? it's the same across all cards,right? (I have csr) I need to bookmark a calculator for doing this

13734 UR's = $206 using the UR portal with your CSR.. I'm editing rather than deleting since @miztressuz did an awesome job of explaining which I read after posting my math.

Last edited:

What an emotional roller coaster! So happy for you. Hope you have an awesome trip!

I've gotten and used this offer once and have been credited. But it's still in my added to offers so does this mean I can use it again.

The gas offers are usually for use up to 3 times, so yes, you can use it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter