I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
first one is unusual. but one of the reason also seem to be bustout conditions.
2nd one... its bustout conditions based on this statement "yeah it was the first purchase. I should have known better. $2k attempted funding on a $5k CL. AAoA is 14 months, oldest acc is 2 yrs."

My assessment of the other guy is his oldest account is only 2 years. AAoA is 14 months. He tried to make his first purchase on a new card a $2k bank funding. Perhaps he just ran too hard too fast...or did something else dumb he isn’t sharing.

I didn’t want to cause a panic so I didn’t share this with the group but I was helping my Pastor and his wife earn points towards a Disney trip and she got shutdown by Chase. She had no credit history prior, she got added as an AU by her husband to some older cards and then tried for a Freedom 3 months later. She pushed it thru for approval via recon. So 4 months later I had her try for a Disney Visa and she got denied and then the Freedom was shutdown and they wouldn’t budge.

I was thinking the same as @afan when I read them at first. But honestly, when I started out I wouldn't think anything of putting a 2k charge on a 5k card... that's what credit cards are for and it's less than half the credit line so it wouldn't concern me. (I never understood why they'd give me a CL I can't actually spend but that's another story) I did similar when I got my CF since they offered it as a 0% interest card for a year. I got it specifically for my bedroom set which was a little less than half my CL at the time. In my case though I had more credit history so probably didn't raise as many flags (and it was in a different time). I think some of the takeaway should we pay more attention to AAoA when evaluating folks velocity plans. Honestly I wouldn't have seen either as very risky behavior, some risk sure, but wouldn't have thought they'd shut someone down on a first purchase. I know a lot of recommendations float through here for funding PNC accounts for MSR so seeing that DP sent up the antenna. I guess season the cards a bit before going big.

Does anyone know if the prepaid rate for Marriott will trigger the $300 travel credit on the SPG Lux. Whatever it’s new ridiculous name is I forget and do not want to remember. :)

Thanks @Lain as always for your thoughts on getting DH the Biz Green. I did a screenshot of your response and am now contemplating. I can see it both ways for getting the Green or BBP. Realistically he is probably getting the pop up regardless so I probably need to think of it from that viewpoint.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen DPs of prepaid rates triggering the SPG Lux Marriott credit.

Another idea: Go for the Biz Green and the BBP — doesn’t matter which one first (maybe the one you want more) — and if you don’t get the pop up, go through with the application, then apply for the other card on the same day and fingers crossed you don’t get the pop up on that one either. Both via referral, of course. Since the MSR on the Biz Green is a single purchase of any amount, the spend is negligible and you’d only have to worry about the BBP’s $3k MSR.

Yes. Charge the tickets to the card. They should code as travel. I usually log in 2 days after purchase (so the charge is not still pending). Use purchase eraser and you’ll get instant statement credit for the charge.
Okay that makes sense. We haven't bought the tickets yet because I'm waiting for JTB USA to email me back. We are trying to get their package with the Ghibli tickets and the JR rail pass. I'll do what you said after we make the purchase, though. Thanks!

ETA: I should also note that we will most likely be buying these passes within the next week, but probably won't have enough points to "erase" them right away. Do we have to do it within a certain amount of time?

We are starting to get more serious about traveling, and while I've always had a cash rewards card am starting to contemplate if I need to branch out more card-wise. It's my husband and myself, 30s/40s. No kids.

• Cards I've been approved for:
8/18 - BofA Travel Rewards Visa
10/18 - Citi Costco Anywhere Visa
  • ~2k in expenses in a normal month, more when we travel or around the holidays. Paid off in full every month.
  • SFO is our main airport for international flights.
  • I have United Mileage Plus and Marriott Rewards but minimal balances in each.
  • Main goal is to take at least one international trip a year. We have plenty of vacation time and my job also requires me to take minimum of 2 weeks off in a row every year (FDIC requirement), so I'd take advantage of that to plan our vacations. Having to coordinate this with the rest of my team means I'm not very flexible with flights and need to plan ahead. If we can swing it would be nice to take a 2nd, shorter trip every year, possibly also international.
  • Also something to note, I'm very much about total cost. So, while flying business on miles is relatively cheaper than paying out of pocket, it's still likely to be more expensive than I would have paid for an economy ticket out of pocket. This matters to me. Flying out of a major hub means there is relatively decent pricing on certain destinations (London, Paris, HK) where it probably makes more sense for me to pay cash. But we're also interested in other areas that are always more expensive for us to get to from the West Coast (Croatia or Greece for example). I'd estimate our cash back to be around $800-1000 annually between our various cash back cards right now. So I guess I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to try to play the miles game (especially since the most valuable cards eventually have an annual fee).
Appreciate any guidance/advice given. Thanks!

I didn’t want to cause a panic so I didn’t share this with the group but I was helping my Pastor and his wife earn points towards a Disney trip and she got shutdown by Chase. She had no credit history prior, she got added as an AU by her husband to some older cards and then tried for a Freedom 3 months later. She pushed it thru for approval via recon. So 4 months later I had her try for a Disney Visa and she got denied and then the Freedom was shutdown and they wouldn’t budge.

That's pretty crazy. Neither of those are cards you would expect a big time churner to go after. And 4 mos seems like plenty of time in between apps.

We are starting to get more serious about traveling, and while I've always had a cash rewards card am starting to contemplate if I need to branch out more card-wise. It's my husband and myself, 30s/40s. No kids.

• Cards I've been approved for:
8/18 - BofA Travel Rewards Visa
10/18 - Citi Costco Anywhere Visa
  • ~2k in expenses in a normal month, more when we travel or around the holidays. Paid off in full every month.
  • SFO is our main airport for international flights.
  • I have United Mileage Plus and Marriott Rewards but minimal balances in each.
  • Main goal is to take at least one international trip a year. We have plenty of vacation time but my job requires me to take minimum of 2 weeks off in a row every year (FDIC requirement), so I'd take advantage of that to plan our vacations. Having to coordinate this with the rest of my team means I'm not very flexible with flights and need to plan ahead. If we can swing it would be nice to take a 2nd, shorter trip every year, possibly also international.
  • Also something to note, I'm very much about total cost. So, while flying business on miles is relatively cheaper than paying out of pocket, it's still likely to be more expensive than I would have paid for an economy ticket out of pocket. This matters to me. Flying out of a major hub means there is relatively decent pricing on certain destinations (London, Paris, HK) where it probably makes more sense for me to pay cash. But we're also interested in other areas that are always more expensive for us to get to from the West Coast (Croatia or Greece for example). I'd estimate our cash back to be around $800-1000 annually between our various cash back cards right now. So I guess I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to try to play the miles game (especially since the most valuable cards eventually have an annual fee).
Appreciate any guidance/advice given. Thanks!
Hey there! Welcome to the thread! Those are a couple of interesting first cards to get (not bad, just not the typical ones you’d see). Have you ever looked into the Chase Ultimate Rewards (URs) program? It’s a popular one among many of us.

Also - do you have any source of side income that might qualify you for a small business credit card? Examples could include selling on eBay, teaching piano, selling cookies, mowing lawns, really any source of secondary income. The reason I ask is that some of the most lucrative offers out there are on business cards.

I’ll also send you a PM invite to our DISchurners private Reddit group :)

That's pretty crazy. Neither of those are cards you would expect a big time churner to go after. And 4 mos seems like plenty of time in between apps.
I felt really bad. And now I think my pastor is a little hesitant to keep going for more cards out of fear it will happen to him too.

I think the other thing, especially with your pastor's wife and the other reddit dp, you don't mention is the AAOA. If the person, like @wendow 's daughter is going for stuff it should be more conservative because she doesn't have the age to fall back on that some of us do with over 20 years of credit.
Very true! I had planned on not doing anymore apps for her for several months since she went 6 mos from Discover IT to CFU and then 4 mos from CFU to CIP. I felt like it was a good idea to wait another 6 mos. Definitely thinking that now!

Last edited:
I felt really bad. And now I think my pastor is a little hesitant to keep going for more cards out of fear it will happen to him too.
I'm sure you did feel bad :( I have a few friends and family members I give advice to and I'd feel awful if that happened to them. It's been a couple of years but my aunt got denied for the CIP after successfully churning SW for several years and then getting the CSR and CSP on my rec. She didn't tell me she was app'ing for the CIP and it hadn't been 30 days since she got the CSP. She got denied and 2+ years later, she still hasn't applied for another card.

So, did your pastor's wife try to get reinstated??

I'm sure you did feel bad :( I have a few friends and family members I give advice to and I'd feel awful if that happened to them. It's been a couple of years but my aunt got denied for the CIP after successfully churning SW for several years and then getting the CSR and CSP on my rec. She didn't tell me she was app'ing for the CIP and it hadn't been 30 days since she got the CSP. She got denied and 2+ years later, she still hasn't applied for another card.

So, did your pastor's wife try to get reinstated??
She tried her best but she didn’t really want to fight for it anymore. She had to spend hours on recon for the first card...then tried an hour+ on the Disney card...then spent hours trying to get reinstated...I think she thinks the whole thing is crazy.

This is somebody who made it 35+ years of life without a credit report...she literally did not generate a report, was off the grid. Never a car loan, never a mortgage, never a credit card. I think she’s just ready to move on at this point lol.

They did get free flights and probably will cover their hotel so not a bad place to be.

Yes, it has seemed to work. I setup separate accounts with 3 gmail addresses that were identical except for the different placement of a period. Good trick for various things. I've found that I could use a pin from a family member with the same last name because it only asks you for the last name. I have seemed to garner at least 1-2 every year.

Thanks for the idea. I'm going to try this. It's been too long since I received a PIN. I've been afraid to use DD's PIN in case we end up with a huge bill if she can't join me, but it's good to know that that might be an option. :goodvibes

@CallieMar Hi :wave2: We've been using AMEX points and AA points to fly overseas from SFO. There are lots of good options from that airport. We do book first or business, but when looking for seats I can generally see much better availability for coach if that is what you prefer. DH and I don't generally use points to fly domestically since we can often get a decent deal and we want to kind of hoard the points for the trips abroad. It took us 5 years to get the points for our last trip (needed 3 business class seats to/from Europe for our 2018 trip), but after spending time on this thread I can say that we have earned almost twice that number of points in about 6 months. This is an amazing thread.

She tried her best but she didn’t really want to fight for it anymore. She had to spend hours on recon for the first card...then tried an hour+ on the Disney card...then spent hours trying to get reinstated...I think she thinks the whole thing is crazy.

This is somebody who made it 35+ years of life without a credit report...she literally did not generate a report, was off the grid. Never a car loan, never a mortgage, never a credit card. I think she’s just ready to move on at this point lol.

They did get free flights and probably will cover their hotel so not a bad place to be.

Wow. I'm sorry it worked out this way. I can see why she would just give up, but it's too bad Chase was so touchy about it all. Also - how does one live for that long without a single credit card?

She tried her best but she didn’t really want to fight for it. She had to spend hours on recon for the first card...then tried an hour+ on the Disney card...then spent hours trying to get reinstated...I think she thinks the whole thing is crazy.

I would think that's a big part of it. They'd want to know why she needs it all now after that long of no report. And if she paid her balance in full with only a few months of credit history and now she needs another card when they weren't really sure they wanted to give her the first one. I can see their point and why that would trigger a more thorough look than an 18 year old with no credit or some due to being an AU waiting a few months because they are building their credit and are more likely seen as someone that will pay interest. It sucks but in some ways I don't blame chase, it seems like it could be bust out because why would she care after having not had a credit report for her entire adult life thus far.

And that is probably why Chase saw her as a risk :(

Free flights and hotel is not a bad place to be at all but too bad they didn't feel they had a successful experience to continue on.

I would think that's a big part of it. They'd want to know why she needs it all now after that long of no report. And if she paid her balance in full with only a few months of credit history and now she needs another card when they weren't really sure they wanted to give her the first one. I can see their point and why that would trigger a more thorough look than an 18 year old with no credit or some due to being an AU waiting a few months because they are building their credit and are more likely seen as someone that will pay interest. It sucks but in some ways I don't blame chase, it seems like it could be bust out because why would she care after having not had a credit report for her entire adult life thus far.

Right, the pastor's wife looks like far more of a bust out risk than my 18yo. This is why I'm a big believer in making my kid's AU'ers. I help prepare them for every other aspect of life as they move from child to adult. Helping them establish good credit is no different, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter