I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm...2 DPs of PNC CC funding with Chase failing today on r/churning. Due to not enough cash advance limit - which means they didn't code as purchase. Could be nothing (hopefully) or could be the first sign that the golden goose is dead. :(

Oh no! I hope not. My son needs to get his personal SW and needs to meet the MSR this way.

@SouthFayetteFan - Random question for you - with the recent crashes and all of the press that air travel has been getting lately and you posting about how you've been trying to avoid the news for your wife's sake, I was wondering how your wife felt about traveling by train? I really have no idea about rail travel but I've just been wondering if that was a viable option for her for your Disney trips, even if it meant traveling separately.

Oh no! I hope not. My son needs to get his personal SW and needs to meet the MSR this way.

I know! I was planning to meet a big chunk of DH's CIP #2 MSR this way. Now kicking myself for not getting it expedited. Didn't want eyes on account, but it was with EIN so probably would have been okay.

Hopefully I'm just being Chicken Little here. But you might want to hold off until more DPs come in.

@MamaBelleRN I am the keeper of the shunned clubhouse :D Full of snacks and books (and probably pillows) and possibly a dividing line to keep the young whippersnappers to one corner... :rotfl:
Ok look...it's easy to avoid being shunned. I have a simple fool proof method:
giphy.gif

I think the Chase Freedom is an excellent choice for you, I'd probably wait until April to apply since you got your CSP last month. Looks like that will move you to 4/24 until July.

Then you have to ask yourself if Chase has any cards you want before you leave 4/24 behind.

If you're done with Chase, I'd suggest you consider the Amex (personal) Gold card. Through a Dischurner's support link, you can get 40,000 MRs for $2000 MSR. Did you know 1000 MRs would get you 2000 HH points? In addition you could earn 4xMR at supermarkets, 4xMR at restaurants, 3xMR with airlines, a $120 dining credit, $100 airline incidental credit, $100 Hotel Collection credit, all for the $250 AF.

Then once you have the Amex Gold, you can self-refer to an Amex Hilton card if you want. But before doing that, I'm going to throw out this idea for you:

How attached are you to a lower MSR? If you're flexible on that, I'd be looking at the Barclay Arrival+ 70K sign up bonus for $5K spend for these reasons:
  • no AF for the 1st year, then $89 (at that point I personally would cancel the card because it's a loser compared to a $0AF 2% cash back card)
  • after the MSR, points worth $800 (70,000 SUB + 10,000 MSR) toward travel expenses
  • no foreign transaction fee
  • 2x points on all spend (+ the 5% rebate, which has limited value) when applied toward travel expenses; otherwise it's a 1% cash back card
  • any travel expense over $100 is eligible to be erased with points
The Hilton points aren't super valuable; the 100,000 HH points are probably worth $400-$500 max, and the $95 AF is not waived the first year like the Arrival+ is.

Since you don't have any Barclays cards in your stash, you probably will get approved. But be careful with your timing on application because you want to use those points to erase your 2020 cruise expenses right? I'd wait until T minus 10-11mo to cruise departure to apply.

If you are set on a Hilton card, IMO the Aspire is a better choice.

ETA: I also think you should pc your BoA to the Cash Rewards card if it's not already. 3% online shopping cash back is pretty terrific.

Wow this is great! Thank you! Since I have some time before applying that will give me a chance to look at your suggestions and make my decision. Looks like I better go dig out my BoA card also. Thanks again! :thanks:

Wow this is great! Thank you! Since I have some time before applying that will give me a chance to look at your suggestions and make my decision. Looks like I better go dig out my BoA card also. Thanks again! :thanks:
giphy.gif

I feel like I want to pick a day and only respond using GIFs and Memes on this thread, it would be good times!

ETA: I also think you should pc your BoA to the Cash Rewards card if it's not already. 3% online shopping cash back is pretty terrific.
Which cards can be PCd to this? DH has the Premium Rewards Card. Does BOA PC via chat or SM?

Good news today-Cookie dog will not be receiving surgery so the fact that we won't have (likely) a CIP SUB MSR to meet is moot. Hooray! The vet was wonderful and thinks she can do fine without it.
Yay! So happy for Cookie ( and you):dog:

I'm 100% #TeamCheap and thus will always value an immediate cash discount over points. So I signed up for a Square Cash debit just now because of something they have called "boosts" meaning I will get like 10% certain restaurants, a buck off at coffee shops, 10% at Kroger (yes, there's a gift card play there). The boosts do have a max value but you can cycle them every 30 minutes.

Anyway I thought I'd throw some cash in the account and use for lunches when I go out at work, which isn't very often. DH ALWAYS eats at Chik Fil A for lunch so I figured I could get him some discounted meals that way too.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/squa...chants/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Plus you get to personalize the card with a signature or emoji or Twitter handle. My Twitter handle was too long for the signature box so I used my first name and skull emoji. Sadly there were no metal horns. \m/

Can any of you savvy travelers Please offer some advice.

Scenario. I was originally planning on going to Japan in 2021 flying JAL with my Chase Ur points.

Next March/April/May Im planning a Hawaii trip because i Have 800 dollar credit from Hawaiian
Air that will have to use. After speaking to Cust service she indicated i can use that credit to
fly from hawaii to Japan (even flying on Jal). The more i think about it the more i like that idea.
So addon to that trip.

Problem is i don't know how to get us back. I would like to take JAL back to So. Cal preferably using
Alaska/JAL but it is 35k oneway. I'm 70k short for the family. I can self refer Dh for Alaska card but total
that will get 45K. Looking at Marriott brilliance because i can transfer 60k= 25k to Alaska. Is this the only way
(besides spending money) to get those last points? Is this even wise? lol I noticed it is hard/more money
for one way awards if it is even allowed. Alaska does though.

UR's 210k
MR 40k
Alaska miles- currently almost deplated due to 10 day Alaska trip this June.

6/24...All 6 opened in 2017 so will fall off within 6 months.

How wedded are you to flying JAL? (I’m assuming something like NRT>LAX?) How many award tickets do you need? And are they economy? United should be about 35k miles per person one-way in economy, and URs transfer to United 1:1.

Which cards can be PCd to this? DH has the Premium Rewards Card. Does BOA PC via chat or SM?

I had DH call in to PC his Merrill+ to this, so I'd guess the Premium Rewards card could also be PCd to this. I'm keeping my BoAPR card for now, I like the agnostic travel credit, and it's my highest everyday spend card.

BoA is very unhip when it comes to technology. No chat, no SM. Only phone call or *gasp* schedule a visit.

Yay! Little win today. Had upgraded flight to YVR for Main Cabin Extra (I know it’s no first class) but not on the flight back. Prices were $70-100 pp (3 people) There were like 30 seats available so I kept watching and today the price went down to $35 pp. Upgraded our seats with DHs BOA Premium Rewards Card which hopefully triggers the $100for airline incidentals.

I had DH call in to PC his Merrill+ to this, so I'd guess the Premium Rewards card could also be PCd to this. I'm keeping my BoAPR card for now, I like the agnostic travel credit, and it's my highest everyday spend card.

BoA is very unhip when it comes to technology. No chat, no SM. Only phone call or *gasp* schedule a visit.
Yeah I see where their app can be used to schedule an appointment. Now that I’ve hopefully used the $100airline credit, we could PC it.

Back home from Orlando...and catching up...used my Priority Pass for the first time...DH actually asked when we got to the airport...can we try going into that “lounge thing” you were telling me about....I was surprised since the last 2 times we flew out he didn’t want to go.
Went to The Club on the A side...around 11:30 and it was not crowded...they did ask to see our boarding passes...had some snacks and a drink...
DH is now hooked and wants to get to the airports early

My DH is the same since he got his CSR in August. Had a 5:15 AM flight this morning and checked that the lounge opened at 4 AM. Can't beat a free drink and snack!

Hmm...2 DPs of PNC CC funding with Chase failing today on r/churning. Due to not enough cash advance limit - which means they didn't code as purchase. Could be nothing (hopefully) or could be the first sign that the golden goose is dead. :(

Interesting.. just did a BB&T fund for $250 yesterday on my Hyatt, which I'd already done 2k on last month for PNC. It's still pending but I would expect it to be given it's from yesterday.

How wedded are you to flying JAL? (I’m assuming something like NRT>LAX?) How many award tickets do you need? And are they economy? United should be about 35k miles per person one-way in economy, and URs transfer to United 1:1.

Flying in and out San diego. Want JAL because out of that airport they fly the 787-8. My 6'4 brother just got back with his gf and said if
your going to fly economy fly that plane as he was pretty comfortable. 2-4-2 means no middle seat. lol

The thought of not having to use my UR's makes me salivate.:-)
The thought of the 5k spend makes me nauseous:guilty:

Any opinion on the Brilliance card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter