I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by SouthFayetteFan, Jan 17, 2019.

1. WardFam

WardFam Mouseketeer

I know this can be controversial so that’s why I didn’t mention it! The Renaissance is definitely a lot more difficult because everyone has to have their room key scanned (including all kids!) to get on the boat over to the Renaissance private island. But the Stellaris wasn’t a big deal at all. They did ask for all our names at check in but after that it wasn’t a problem at all. We just travel with an air mattress and the room had plenty of space and nobody ever asked us about it. When you rent a palapa you just have to enter 4 guests. There aren’t any wristbands or anything like that. It is hard to travel as a family of 5. But it was pretty great!!

disneymagicgirl and wendow like this.
  2. wendow

wendow We create happiness.

So, how did you handle the boat to the private island with 5 from the Renaissance?

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. gottalovepluto

gottalovepluto DIS Veteran

Hahaha!! Legit reason, I love it! Obviously I’m just a cynic at heart.

Tikitoi, tink1970 and afan like this.
  5. afan

afan DIS Veteran

My dad also sent me a MO for bday and xmas for years, probably because he was at the same CU and didn't have checks any more. Or he thought it'd be easier for some reason I don't know. He bought them at the post office so who knows. He was very much a cash man though. Probably partly why I don't find it odd, and I'm used to using them for passports and visa's at an old job when checks weren't allowed (I'm looking at your Brazil and your annoying policies that have now been changed).

gottalovepluto likes this.
  6. WardFam

WardFam Mouseketeer

You guys are making me spill all my secrets! We only went over on our second day. I had requested another key when I got separated from my family the day before but that inactivated all our other keys. So I got the original 4 re-activated and then I took the kids over in the morning to see the flamingos (kids are only allowed on the flamingo beach from 9-10) while my DH checked us out from the hotel and then he let them know his key (the extra key) wasn’t working and so they activated that one (we didn’t need keys anymore because we were now on the island and checked out of our room). We weren’t sure if DH was going to make it over and we went into it being ok with that.

7. amalone1013

amalone1013 DIS Veteran

Hmm, I may go ahead and contact them today... I have another $800ish to go on my Arrival Plus and would love to do it with the FFD

8. amalone1013

amalone1013 DIS Veteran

It's not just this thread....

"Don't be discouraged by seeing her fabulous numbers..."

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

This made my 3am workday better :)

9. wendow

wendow We create happiness.

:rotfl:Hilarious!!

10. punkin

punkin <font color=purple>Went through pain just to look

I have been approved!

11. bernina

bernina Mouseketeer

:cool1::cheer2:party:

Congratulations!!

12. Limes96

Limes96 DIS Veteran

I haven’t yet used the Staples 10% back up to $50 Offer. I have it on both my Hilton biz and P2’s Amex plat. Is it working on the personal cards or only the biz cards? I’m wondering since the offer states something about it being a biz card offer.

Judique likes this.
  13. Judique

Judique Dis Veteran, Beach Lover at BWV, BCV, HHI, VB

I used it on my personal card the first week I had it and bought the $200 VGC at Staples with the no fees. My $50 credited.

tink1970 and Limes96 like this.
  14. havaneselover

havaneselover Dreaming about a Disney cruise

Yep. Dd has it on her Amex bce and it has credited.

Limes96 and tink1970 like this.
  15. bernina

bernina Mouseketeer

Im thinking of making an update based on feedback from this group and r/churning.

For P1 go for the CSR/CSP MDD instead of the Citi AA Biz. I do value URs above most else and should take advantage of my 1/24 status.

I read the great walkthrough of MDD, thank you for that!

Questions:
    1. Should I lower any chase credit limits prior to applying? Right now I’m at 34% credit limit vs. income for all Chase personal and business cards.
    2. Plan to apply for CSR early on day 1. If auto approved apply for CSP the next morning. If not, call and hopefully verify to get approval. Then proceed to CSP the next day. Then SM to lower credit limits for either card if crazy high?

I also need to call Chase prior to all this because my CSP from 5 years ago is still showing on my online account with a $500 credit limit. I haven’t been charged the annual fee since I closed several years ago and didn’t downgrade the card either. Has anyone run into this before?

Lain and SouthFayetteFan like this.
  16. Judique

Judique Dis Veteran, Beach Lover at BWV, BCV, HHI, VB

@Hoosier John

In order to have the auto draft, they must have access to your account. But, you can make partial or full payment at any time. I used gift cards when I paid mine in full back in December.

I had a wild assortment of gift cards - some with a few $$ and some with up to $500. I didn't combine anything. Just applied them one by one and each time the balance dropped and when a 'month' was paid, the next payment due moved to the next month. I didn't combine because it was just extra work as the DVC site worked in the same fashion by adding each card as a credit.

You can also pay dues with a credit card. If you are not set up for auto draft, I believe the whole amount has to be paid at once.

With auto draft you can make partial payments so long as you are up to date. The 3 options online are credit card, gift card and rewards card. I used gift cards and the rewards card I got for a referral.

Prior to online access, members would send payment or call to apply gift/reward cards or credit cards.

trenty, kmc8826, Hoosier John and 3 others like this.
  17. bernina

bernina Mouseketeer

While we’re talking DVC dues, does anyone know what they code as?

18. miztressuz

miztressuz DIS Veteran

Happy Tax Day (said no one ever)

Look out for specials today, some places do free/discounted food for the newly poor and shopping portals up the return to spend that "free money" the other side has coming their way ;)

eBates has eBags in their 10% back Tax Day list, plus that AmEx offer out there, for those who were waiting for an opportune time. Maybe the other portals follow suit.

19. 1st*toright

1st*toright DIS Veteran

Still cash! My points never reappeared, and the credit is still there offsetting other charges. I thought about calling to get the points back, but decided I'd rather have the credit, so I never followed up. Seems like it works.

Lain, disneymagicgirl and bernina like this.
  20. speedyfishy

speedyfishy DIS Veteran

I got the Amex Apple Pay offer. Does anyone know if Safeway takes Apple Pay?

Judique likes this.
  21. Lain

Lain DIS Veteran

If you lower Chase CLs, just note that the SM rep will tell you the new limits are effective immediately and show on your Chase accounts, but the lower CLs don't reflect on your credit reports until Chase reports them after the monthly statement closes on each card, or you pay off a card in full. It's debatable whether you're good to apply right after Chase reduces your limits as requested (it's in their system), or you should wait until Chase reports the lower limits to your credit reports (what Chase sees when they pull your credit reports). If you really think you're pushing your limits, it's probably better to wait until your credit reports show the lower limits.

Also note that a CSR approval typically comes with a high credit limit, as much as ~$20k-30k+. You need only $10k to open a CSR (Visa Infinite), and $5k to open a CSP (Visa Signature). If the the additional extension of ~$20k-30k+ credit on the CSR takes you >50% of reported household income, the CSR CL may affect how much more credit Chase will be willing to approve for the CSP.

Turns out, you don't need to call in to get the first card (CSR) approved if not auto/insta-approved. The important part is to apply for the second card (CSP) the next calendar day after whenever the first card is approved, and preferably get that second card approved on the same day as you applied. There are some mixed DPs, but I think if you leave the second card's approval in Chase's hands there's probably a higher risk of it getting declined if and when they see the first card in their system. If the second card is not auto/insta-approved, I would call recon and ask if there's anything you can do to help get the card approved. The recon rep may or may not see the first card in the system, so ymmv -- if the rep is well informed about the one Sapphire rule, they may give you a hard time, but they can push the second app through; if they won't, HUCA. If the rep doesn't mention the first app, or is just not well informed, then approval may just be a matter of verification or moving credit around (ideally from a card other than the just approved CSR).

Is the card showing closed? Closed cards can still appear on your online account unless you "hide" them.

Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 9:49 AM