I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im thinking of making an update based on feedback from this group and r/churning.

For P1 go for the CSR/CSP MDD instead of the Citi AA Biz. I do value URs above most else and should take advantage of my 1/24 status.

I read the great walkthrough of MDD, thank you for that!

Questions:
1. Should I lower any chase credit limits prior to applying? Right now I’m at 34% credit limit vs. income for all Chase personal and business cards.
2. Plan to apply for CSR early on day 1. If auto approved apply for CSP the next morning. If not, call and hopefully verify to get approval. Then proceed to CSP the next day. Then SM to lower credit limits for either card if crazy high?

I also need to call Chase prior to all this because my CSP from 5 years ago is still showing on my online account with a $500 credit limit. I haven’t been charged the annual fee since I closed several years ago and didn’t downgrade the card either. Has anyone run into this before?
Ooooh a modified double dip always gets me excited! I love when people take advantage of that strategy :) Good Luck! I was going to type a response but @Lain has your covered and I'd just agree with what he said.

Its only because his voice is so high... could fool anyone. :rotfl:
2yml72.jpg

I'm sure someone has mentioned this, but I haven't been paying attention. How long after your Bonblech anniversary are free nights posting? I thought I had gotten mine already, but no, it was the email saying happy anniversary, we'll give you a free night in 8-12 weeks. It has been 6 weeks now, is it going to be another 2 weeks or another 6? I've got a good redemption lined up for it (and made the reservation) but would like to apply the cert in case we get into peak/nonpeak pricing!

Amex's bonvoy (ugh) posted about 10 weeks out for me, I got excited about the email then...crickets...then a loooong time after there was my certificate in my account. I believe the Chase side posts more rapidly (? immediately upon anniversary?) but that's just a guess since my anniversary dates aren't until later in the year.

I'm sure someone has mentioned this, but I haven't been paying attention. How long after your Bonblech anniversary are free nights posting? I thought I had gotten mine already, but no, it was the email saying happy anniversary, we'll give you a free night in 8-12 weeks. It has been 6 weeks now, is it going to be another 2 weeks or another 6? I've got a good redemption lined up for it (and made the reservation) but would like to apply the cert in case we get into peak/nonpeak pricing!

Unfortunately for AmEx it's pretty all over the board between that 8-12 week range. The least amount of time I tracked was 6 weeks so you're in the "any day now" period but they seem a little longer lately so probably still at least 2 weeks out unless you get lucky. I'm on 6 weeks since the email myself so I'm checking my account periodically throughout the week just hoping.

Amex's bonvoy (ugh) posted about 10 weeks out for me, I got excited about the email then...crickets...then a loooong time after there was my certificate in my account. I believe the Chase side posts more rapidly (? immediately upon anniversary?) but that's just a guess since my anniversary dates aren't until later in the year.

Thanks- yep, I'm stuck on the Amex side for now. I had just cancelled my old chase Marriott card before all the restrictions came out. I'm waiting on the cert from the Bonvoy Biz. About to pull the trigger on the Bonvoy Brilliant too, before the offer changes in a couple of weeks. Just won't count on getting to use that cert until next fall :crazy2:

We got some good deals a few weeks ago but nothing quite that good. DS had $50 saved and managed to get 8 items including 2 stuffies and a T-shirt. I’ve taught him well. Lol

ETA I see now you were at home. I assumed you were at Disney Warehouse in Orlando. We don’t have a Disney outlet particularly close to home, so we hit up the outlet during our recent trip
I'm still drinking the kooaid obviously b/c we have an upcoming weekend trip and I'm planning just a 'slight':rotfl2: detour on our route to hit the dis outlet....it's only like a 30 minute detour for stuff I don't need...is that wrong???? (dirty rotten scoundrels quote)

If you lower Chase CLs, just note that the SM rep will tell you the new limits are effective immediately and show on your Chase accounts, but the lower CLs don't reflect on your credit reports until Chase reports them after the monthly statement closes on each card, or you pay off a card in full. It's debatable whether you're good to apply right after Chase reduces your limits as requested (it's in their system), or you should wait until Chase reports the lower limits to your credit reports (what Chase sees when they pull your credit reports). If you really think you're pushing your limits, it's probably better to wait until your credit reports show the lower limits.

Also note that a CSR approval typically comes with a high credit limit, as much as ~$20k-30k+. You need only $10k to open a CSR (Visa Infinite), and $5k to open a CSP (Visa Signature). If the the additional extension of ~$20k-30k+ credit on the CSR takes you >50% of reported household income, the CSR CL may affect how much more credit Chase will be willing to approve for the CSP.

Turns out, you don't need to call in to get the first card (CSR) approved if not auto/insta-approved. The important part is to apply for the second card (CSP) the next calendar day after whenever the first card is approved, and preferably get that second card approved on the same day as you applied. There are some mixed DPs, but I think if you leave the second card's approval in Chase's hands there's probably a higher risk of it getting declined if and when they see the first card in their system. If the second card is not auto/insta-approved, I would call recon and ask if there's anything you can do to help get the card approved. The recon rep may or may not see the first card in the system, so ymmv -- if the rep is well informed about the one Sapphire rule, they may give you a hard time, but they can push the second app through; if they won't, HUCA. If the rep doesn't mention the first app, or is just not well informed, then approval may just be a matter of verification or moving credit around (ideally from a card other than the just approved CSR).

Is the card showing closed? Closed cards can still appear on your online account unless you "hide" them.

Good luck!

A huge thank you for the updated info on MDD as well as background on credit limits with Chase.

For the CSP I called and he confirmed the card was closed. It’s just the way the system shows it (with the $500 credit limit and monthly statement ending dates). Weird but I won’t worry about it now. I didn’t specifically see something listing it as closed on my account (using Chase app). I did have it hidden before but was doing some housekeeping and wanted to check.

United's MileagePlus Shopping portal has eBags at 15 miles/$1! Oh wait...:duck:

P.S. eBags was at 15% back on Ebates just a few days ago. I'm waiting on 20%. ::yes::

Yeah, it's not great, that's why I was kinda hoping other portals got into the act with better offers. Although sad days for United users, I thought about checking it out before I posted and then didn't want to be responsible for a trigger event...

Happy Tax Day (said no one ever)

Look out for specials today, some places do free/discounted food for the newly poor and shopping portals up the return to spend that "free money" the other side has coming their way ;)

eBates has eBags in their 10% back Tax Day list, plus that AmEx offer out there, for those who were waiting for an opportune time. Maybe the other portals follow suit.

United's MileagePlus Shopping portal has eBags at 15 miles/$1 today! Oh wait...:duck:

P.S. eBags was at 15% back on Ebates just a few days ago. I'm waiting on 20%. ::yes::

TopCashBack has been sitting at 15% for a few days. But no coupons are listed as eligible to combine with it. I’ll be giving it a shot as I need to make a purchase. Stack with my Amex offer!

United's MileagePlus Shopping portal has eBags at 15 miles/$1 today! Oh wait...:duck:

What are folks buying from eBags? I know they have luggage and travel accessories and clothing, just curious if there’s something I should be looking at :)

Hmmm... finally time to order the little toiletry bag I was looking at, especially since I can use it next week (!)

Now I'm debating if we need another mother lode backpack... DH ended up with the professional flight backpack for work travel plus just as his day to day work bag. Now I feel like we just need a second backpack because it would be silly to empty all of his work stuff for personal travel.

Packing cubes! :rotfl2:

Personally, I'm eyeing a new Patagonia jacket for my wife.

Packing cubes! Lots and lots of packing cubes! Packing cubes for everyone.

*silently admits she may be addicted to packing cubes*

:rotfl:Too funny!! I love packing cubes but can’t get DH on board. I bought some for our first cruise many years ago and have been hooked ever since. I use them for me and DD. It makes unpacking at the hotel so easy and repacking is a breeze. Consider me a member of the club.

Oh man, I was looking and the backpack is on sale for $97, last time I got it for $87 so not as good of a sale. Was going to burn more of those Visa GCs. But now I realize... after tax it is $102... AMEX offer... goes towards Brilliant upgrade MSR...

Just thought I'd throw a DP out there that my $330 Marriott charge posted last Friday and the $40 back on $200 credit posted in my account today. This was a legit room charge, not a GC purchase.

The nice thing about this is the $330 was reimbursed by work, so the $40 is literally just money in my pocket. I also realized that I had enough leftover in per diem and travel payments that the $199 I spent on that Sheraton offer last week will actually be covered by that money! So basically no money out of my pocket at all!

I have a question on Marriott that I'm hoping someone here can answer... I need to book another Marriott stay next month for a work trip in August. This stay requires a one night deposit, so about $350 on my card. I was planning to put this on DH's Bonvoy Biz for MSR. However, I have the $40 on $200 credit on my Bonvoy Biz too. Would I be able to book on DH's Bonvoy Biz, and then call Marriott and make a $200 payment towards the stay on my card to get the credit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!