I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
most will match. but then it comes down to how long do they match for. The majority will match for a couple months.
I know u can match a lot of status to Hilton Diamond but it requires 8 nights(i think) to get it the rest of the year.

Does a night = a stay? So my temp status says 8 stays. I currently have 4 nights booked in Chicago. Is that 1 stay or 4 stays?

Okay I have to research the CIPpy deal because this is the first I've heard of it. I have a pressing issue here that I'm hoping you guys will weigh in on.

We plan to fly EWR to NRT in mid Aug (after the Olympics are over). We want to fly business, 4 people, ewr to nrt around Aug 10 - 31, give or take a few days inbound and outbound. I have enough United miles banked to get us there, provided I can get the 70k-80k saver fares (I know, big if). Now, for the return I have 120k URs saved, but need to accumulate a total of 280k for the return ticket, so I'm 160k short. I did some math and I don't think I'm going to make it by Oct which is when I maximize my chances of grabbing saver tickets. I really don't want to buy the one way tickets, then wait to buy the return tickets once I accumulate the URs. Risky. I could look to accumulating MRs and get the AMEX Platinum for dh which I'm sure he'd be approved for, 75k sign up bonus. I could even apply for 35k bonus Gold for myself to get the 4x grocery and restaurant MRs. However, I'd need to select an airline that will allow me to transfer both URs and MRs, since I need to use those saved URs that I have to make up the total needed. Can't do it without them, not enough time.

I hope this makes sense. Basically, I need four biz class tickets NRT to EWR on an airline where I can transfer URs and MRs. I hear Virgin is an option but it's a struggle to come up with anything on their search. For all their faults, United has such an easy Website to use.
United is just not the best way to get to & from Japan, unfortunately.

Amex points don't transfer to United.

BA is a MR/UR mutual partner but the flights you want will require way more points (400K?) than you can possibly earn in three months, assuming there would even be availability. Admittedly there could be something I'm missing here because I work directly with JAL when I fly with them & I do not do partner transfers for that airline.

Virgin is also not an option if your points are tied up with United. You can only book ANA award tickets RT (& that's what you'd typically be looking to book through Virgin).

Singapore KrisFlyer will let you book one-way awards but those will also be unattainable to you at this stage. (Again, ~400K, as an estimate.)

You really need these points earned, processed & transferred by September, not October, if you're looking to book for August 2020.

IMO the easiest way to earn the last 160K is with two CIPs. (80K + 80K + 20K referral) - But, that requires two-player mode, and if one or both of you are over 5/24, you cannot manage it in the amount of time you have.

I wish I had better advice but I am stumped.

United is just not the best way to get to & from Japan, unfortunately.

Amex points don't transfer to United.

BA is a MR/UR mutual partner but the flights you want will require way more points (400K?) than you can possibly earn in three months, assuming there would even be availability. Admittedly there could be something I'm missing here because I work directly with JAL when I fly with them & I do not do partner transfers for that airline.

Virgin is also not an option if your points are tied up with United. You can only book ANA award tickets RT (& that's what you'd typically be looking to book through Virgin).

Singapore KrisFlyer will let you book one-way awards but those will also be unattainable to you at this stage. (Again, ~400K, as an estimate.)

You really need these points earned, processed & transferred by September, not October, if you're looking to book for August 2020.

IMO the easiest way to earn the last 160K is with two CIPs. (80K + 80K + 20K referral) - But, that requires two-player mode, and if one or both of you are over 5/24, you cannot manage it in the amount of time you have.

I wish I had better advice but I am stumped.

I already have the miles in my United bank for one way EWR to NRT. United's hub is 20 mins away from my house and they have the flights I want - direct saver fares for 70k one way. However, I am willing to be flexible if there is another airline I can take for my return. Air Canada's fares look great but they are not partners with Chase so I cannot transfer over my URs. Only Amex MRs. Just wanted to know if there was a rock I haven't unturned.

Let's take this one step at a time.

First step: Get yourself back under 5/24.

1. From your DH's account, SM Chase to request removal of you as an AU on his CSR. After DH receives confirmation that you have been removed as an AU on his CSR, then...

2. From your Chase account, send an SM to have Chase remove the CSR AU account from your credit reports at every bureau to which Chase reports, and throw in the line that you have been removed as an authorized user on the account, and you are not and have never been financially responsible for the accounts. This can take a few days. Once you receive confirmation that the AU account has been removed from your credit reports, double check with Credit Karma.

The big issue is removing the CSR AU account will only drop you to 4/24, leaving you only 1 slot for a personal card from any issuer. If you are seriously considering dipping your toes into Amex Membership Rewards points, you'll burn that 1 slot you recovered fast, before you've had a drink from the CIPpy cup.

My concern is even if you were to drink from the CIPpy cup, you probably do not have enough time to accumulate 280k UR in 4 months. You have time for, at most, two sips. It looks like your DH is 5/24, so he can't be your P2 with Chase. And without "supporting" each other, that cuts your earning potential significantly. If DH still has his CIP, he could "support" you to your own CIP once you're back under 5/24, and that'll get you some extra points. I recall last year @SouthFayetteFan and I laid out a solid roadmap for you (and reluctant DH) to earn URs from Chase business cards while preserving your 5/24 status. What happened? You kind of disappeared. 👻

Now it's crunch time, and you need to decide what to do. You don't have much time.

If you're going to go with any Amex cards, please run it by us first. What you wrote here? Don't do that.

Amex has a lot of offers available via a variety of channels and methods. However, Amex's signup bonuses are generally once per lifetime, so if you apply for a card you're stuck with that offer and you typically will not get another bonus on that card again. So you want to make sure you get the best offer possible. Again, there are a variety of ways to get the best offer, which sometimes involves calling into Amex, or using incognito method on your browser to pull up higher offers, "supporting" yourself or your spouse using Amex cards you already have.

What Amex cards do you and DH already have?

The 35k MR signup bonus on the Amex Gold card is not even the best offer out there. You can pretty easily pull up a 50k MR SUB offer. If you had gone ahead, willy nilly, and applied for the Gold card, you would've been stuck with the 35k MR SUB when you could've had 50k MR. And you would've added a personal card to your 5/24 count before you decided whether you want to stick it out with Chase, or go with Amex. Again, with the Gold, the 4x MR groceries bonus category is nice but it's not going to get you to hundreds of thousands of points in 4 months. You need to stop focusing on category bonuses and look at signup bonuses.

Something you may want to consider: you could stick with only Amex business MR-earning cards, earn some serious MR bonuses (but with some serious MSRs and AFs), and preserve your sub-5/24 status. You can call in for the Amex Business Platinum for a 100k MR/$10k MSR/3 months offer. Then use the Amex Biz Plat to "support" yourself to a Biz Gold for a 50k MR/$5k MSR/3 months offer and 15k MR support bonus. You could also use the Amex Biz Plat to "support" yourself to the Blue Business Plus for a 10k MR/$3k MSR/3 months offer and 15k MR support bonus. You could use your Amex Biz Plat to try to "support" your DH to the personal Platinum (rather than having him apply for it directly), because this way DH may still get the 75k MR SUB, but you'll get a 15k MR support bonus. You can add that up.

But a word of warning. Starting last summer, Amex implemented a system to crack down on customers that they (their algorithms) have identified as "gamers," customers who exhibit a pattern where they open a card, spend on it to meet MSR and get the bonus, then drop off or stop their spending on the card and eventually close it. If you've been flagged for having this kind of "history," Amex will display a pop up warning when you submit an application for a new card telling you that because of your "history" you're ineligible for the bonus even if you

The bonus denial pop up means Amex has flagged you as, essentially, an unprofitable customer who might be only interested in chasing bonuses and not putting any ongoing spend on their Amex cards. It’s typically targeted at applicants who have signed up for Amex cards, met MSR, pocketed the bonus, and stopped (or even just dramatically dropped) spending on those cards. The only cure anecdotally is putting some spend on your existing Amex cards may get you back in Amex’s good graces, and get that pop up to go away.

Gone are the days of picking up an Amex card, meeting MSR for the bonus, and sock drawering it until it’s time to close it after a year. That will land you on Amex’s naughty list fast, and you’ll be stuck in bonus denial pop up purgatory until you put some (possibly serious) spend on your existing Amex cards. Amex will gladly approve you for cards, but they want to see you putting regular, consistent, and ideally high levels of spend on their cards if you want Amex to keep approving you for new cards with bonuses. Otherwise, they’ll figure you’re in it only for the bonuses and flag you as a “gamer.”

Since your first step is getting myself under 5/24 that means no more applications until at least 12/19, when four cards drop off.

I may very well be on the AMEX naughty since I get no offers from them while my dh gets all the offers. However, if you look at my list I only have 2 AMEX cards opened within the last two years, and I'm an AU on my husband's AMEX every day which was opened many moons ago, like several years. And an AMEX Blue card opened several years ago as well.

PS: I do get a lot of Bank of America offers. We do our checking and have a HELOC there. Plus I have one credit card no balance with them. opened in 2015.

Mefordis cards:
11/17 - CHASE United Personal
11/17 - BARCLAYS JetBlue Personal
11/17 - AMEX SPG Business*
12/17 - CHASE Freedom
12/17 - CHASE Marriott Personal
01/18 - CHASE Sapphire Reserve (AU)
05/18 - AMEX Hilton Business*
08/18 - CHASE Marriott Business*

01/10 ? AMEX Blue travel card
01/12 ? AMEX EveryDay AU

Hey ya'll I've missed about a million posts b/c I was at Disney... Love the news thread on Reditt however it's awesome! I have a Hyatt availability question- using points, how good are they?I'm wondering ,do they let you book a room on points if they have any room available? Or is it more like IHG where they limit points rooms quite a bit? Trying to piece together a multi family trip in the future,and I don't want to start planning something that might become impossible to book(i.e. have a family gather points only to find no availability in a couple of months) I've found IHG to be pretty limited
I had a few issues trying to book Hyatt Regency Vancouver pre and post cruise. . No points rooms available for Saturday night (needed Sat-Mon) until finally I was able to book Friday thru Monday then call and had them drop Friday because ‘plans changed’ Never found any availability for the one night we needed post cruise. We did get upgraded at check in.
My question is has anyone had a credit on an Amex card transferred to another Amex card? I have 2 macy's offers on my Gold card and want to spend about $60, but also use the $40 credit from my Optima card. Both MR cards but one is charge and the other a credit card.
I had the AF due on my Marriott Amex, then downgraded. I ended up paying it because they didn’t credit the AF until after the bill was due, so I had a $400 credit . I chatted with them and asked for it to be applied to my balance on Hilton Amex. Took a few days but they did it.
We have one already. I guess that might be what we do unless there is a good deal that pops up.
Check BJs. I think they have a promo now.
I think I have used clubs and other as categories. I've never had pushback from that. I have paid Toyota and Ford directly, and now DHs through a credit union
Did this work with MC or Visa? I have my CU as club and got denied for Amex.

I read this morning on OOMAT (Is that awful?) that you can status match from certain hotel chains (Hyatt is one) to IHG. Thought I would share in case anyone is interested.

Speaking of...

Anyone know if it's worth status matching to Choice Hotels? I'm looking at their site now since I have a hotel affiliate booked in September.

I need to look into that. I’m only explorist but that would be better than nothing for IHG I’m sure. Choice will status match with marriott at least I know. I’m planning to wait until after July 1 and match because then I think it’s good through 2020. Choice Hotels aren’t great. And I say that as someone who frequently stays in choice hotels lol.

Okay because of this I feel like I have to get the platinum plus APs now...

http://blogmickey.com/2019/06/break...previews-coming-to-disneys-hollywood-studios/
What do you guys think? I didn’t want to deal with SWGE at all but having this preview would be awesome. I’ve never done these before so I’m guessing you reserve a time online maybe? We need to get our APs ASAP.
If anyone sees these open up for reservation pls try to tag me. I don’t get the emails and by the time I see a post it is usually too late.

After checking all 9 AMEX cards, I'm not feeling the love...

@miztressuz - thanks for the heads up on the Vineyard Vines discount. I guess they know we shop there a lot since they didn't bother to put it on any of my cards, or DH's. Luckily we found it on DD's plat. Never would have even looked there if you hadn't posted today, so thank you!

@Lain - I finally was able to track down one Caviar deal for MRs on DH's Biz Plat. It wasn't there the day you mentioned it, and isn't on any other cards, but at least I have one offer. Now I just have to figure out if I want to use it. :P

Did you get the statement credit or MR version of these offers?

I got the MR version of the Caviar offer on my BGR.

DW's Rose Gold AU got the MR version of the Vineyard Vines offer, but I only have the cash back version of Vineyard Vines on all my cards. For some reason, DW's Rose Gold AU always gets the MR versions and occasionally gets the cash back versions too, allowing the two offers to stack. DW's Rose Gold AU has been a gold mine of MR points because of this. I can't explain it, but I'll take it.

My Biz Plat, BGR, and Biz Greens tend to get more MR offers than my personal Plat and Gold, which get mostly cash back offers. :confused3

eBay sellers, can someone update me on international shipping? It used to be horrible to sell to an international buyer because of all sorts of issues, including customs fees and delays and I can't recall what else, but for the few things I have listed for sale over the past few years, I have "unchecked" the sell internationally box. Has it gotten any better to sell to an international buyer? I think I read something about sending the item to a domestic location and then eBay would handle getting it to the international destination . . . is this remotely accurate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter