I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been putting off buying my prescription meds from my online pharmacy service because it was depressingly expensive - what cost me $48 last year for a 90 day supply became $2,560 for the same stuff. 😕 I don't know if it was because our insurance company changed at the start of 2019, or if it was because we decided to go with a HSA plan, or what. But I spent an hour on the phone yesterday with the pharmacy company to clarify the costs. I decided to check out the price at Walgreens since that is the retail pharmacy partner to this online pharmacy before ordering online. It ended up costing me $95 for a 90 day supply through Walgreens! What the everlasting *%$!? That just boggles my mind. That's a savings of close to $5,000 just on these meds for the remainder of the year. Maybe we won't meet our high deductible this year after all.

To make this churning related, I put the $95 on DH's new Hilton Biz MSR. 😀
If you have Costco or Sams you could try there too, and look on good rx to see about other nearby places. Costco and sams show up on good rx as well.

Im trying to set up a budget for our 2020 vacations. We didn't budget this year and I think we went too crazy. I have totaled everything up yet and im not sure I want to lol. I was originally thinking 12,000 for four week long vacations and maybe a few long weekend trips. But now I do not think that will be enough. We have our ABD (5,000) two annual passes (2,000ish) Rome is covered except for excursions and food (1500?I could probably get this cheaper but I wanted to rent a fiat and have a driver for the day and that was like $300 lol) our trip with SO's family to their lakehouse (Car rental $500, Boat rental $1000 and a nice meal to treat his family $300 (we spent this this year and I had a heart attack because I was not expecting that much maybe like $150), plus helping out with the occasional groceries and taking his niece out for a day another $200) (I could cut the boat rental, but thats a lot of fun) DVC dues (500) That leaves $1000 left over for a weeklong Disney Trip and long weekends. Yuck, im not sure if I want to up the budget or start cutting things. I think considering I mostly use points for flights and hotels 12 grand on incidentals is ridiculous, but idk maybe im out of touch. My family traveled maybe once a year and my SO only went to the lake house for a week and his family only continues to do that so 12,000 seems like a lot, but maybe it isn't, idk? any thoughts?

If it fits in your budget and you can still put away for retirement and other goals then it is right for you. As a family of 5, our vacation budget is less than half of that. But we are at the most expensive point in our lives, with 2 in college for the next 3 years and we are trying to cash roll it. Ughhh. I keep thinking that in 5 years, when all 3 are done and hopefully 🤞 out on their own, we will be "rich". lol Maybe then we can up our travel budget and do more fun things. But I am terribly cheap and that will not change no matter what my budget, so I don't see me ever doing an ABD or paying $1000 to rent a boat :scared1: but if they are important to you and you see value in them then do it! Enjoy all your trips!

In other news, I booked our flights to BCN next July. I selected the PHL option of course thanks to all of your suggestions and comments.

Does anyone have experience upgrading an award ticket to the next class of service with AA? I think we did pretty good with the second row of economy for both flights (both listed as elite member only seats, fancy :cool2:) but curious to know if there are upgrade options.

I've not paid cash to upgrade award tickets, but I have changed economy award tickets (30K AA one way) to business saver tickets (57.5K AA one way) by paying the difference with AA miles plus a little more cash for taxes and fees. In my case, we flew Venice to Denver in June 2018 on AA (stops in LHR and JFK). Originally it was 30K (+ $90 taxes/fees) per economy ticket, but I stalked the website daily and saw 57.5 K business saver become available, so I called in to upgrade our award tickets and paid 27.5K miles (+ $5 taxes/fees) per ticket. The agent told me if I saw business/first become available for the JFK-DEN segment then I could call in for that switch for no additional cost. I stalked the website more, and that segment did eventually become available in First so I called and they upgraded that segment too.

I don't have any status with AA so I'm not sure if there are other options available to you with your fancy elite status. ;)

Pirates was a complete waste of time at MNSSHP and VAH IMO. Still haven't bought my tickets for either. I don't want to part with all that GC money just yet :rotfl:
I felt like they could have done more with Pirates vs one guy :confused3
I don't regret doing MVMCP last year since it worked out perfectly with our schedule, but I don't know that it's something I'd pay to do again. I liked it, but I don't think we got a ton of value out of it. I'm of course going to do MNSSHP since we've never done it, but I have heard really good reviews of the stage shows, parade, and fireworks. We didn't think the Christmas fireworks were impressive at all and would have preferred to see HEA instead.
The best part of our Christmas Party was getting to meet Mary Poppins and Bert at the end of the night, they were maybe a little less "Disney" :rotfl: But otherwise we much preferred the Halloween Party. I expected to like it more because I've always been more Christmas than Halloween, but I've really enjoyed MNSSHP and HHN!

My third shift coworker put in her notice last week.

Me: If they go into never ending 12s again for me and second shift to cover, with no plan for hiring, I'm walking. I told DH that. I was like, nope, can't do that. I will take several weeks off and then start job hunting.

The entire company, not just our location, is not letting most positions be backfilled to 'test if the position is really needed' :rolleyes2 Riiiiiiight.... well this one is impossible to not backfill. So they have decided to move up a change that was supposed to come later this year, freeing another coworker in a different position to come back to third shift with me and second shift (he actually helped train me originally). So we are looking at OT next week while the transition starts (but I'm off Monday, and current third shift's last day is either Mon or Tues) and then should have the other coworker up here. Phew!

I tell DH this and his response? Should we book a HEA dessert party with your OT? :rotfl:

I’m back ladies and gents! I’ve read every comment over the past week but had little time to reply and join in the fun.

We had a nice trip to Bethany Beach, enjoyed seeing some sights in Philly and visiting with family. Capped it off yesterday with 35 holes of golf on an “all you can play” pass near Bedford with my dad/uncle/cousin.

In churning news...CIP2 is a go! Pending at 11:41 last night. Approved by 1:45am (based on the “Mint notifications” I received in my emails. I still have to finish the MSR on my wife’s CIP2 but that can be done in a moment with our property taxes.
Bedford - I grew up in Bedford County and our family still lives back there, about 30 mins away from Bedford.

Going Oct 10 on my solo trip. Thinking about adding a dessert party to get a good spot for the new fireworks. I've been once before 2015 maybe? For some reason they had the first party in med-Sept during my trip, and it was so crowded there were a lot of complaints. I'm hoping this year will be a little better, at least I have an idea what to expect.
The new fireworks show will be projection heavy so a dessert party may be beneficial. I personally did not book for my group, but I would probably do it for a solo trip. Once we see a few parties you can gauge if it will be worth it and cancel or keep accordingly.

If you have Costco or Sams you could try there too, and look on good rx to see about other nearby places. Costco and sams show up on good rx as well.

Thanks. I did check on GoodRx and that was lower than my online pharmacy, but still showed me a price of $1,841 (at Walgreens, Costco, Kroger, CVS, Target) for the 90 day supply! And it wouldn't count toward my deductible. Maybe it would be different if I'd walked into Costco to get a price comparison in person, but that's a further drive and I already felt like I'd won at Walgreens. I honestly was not expecting the price I ended up paying at Walgreens!

I have to say, I HATE that you need to have a written prescription on hand to price check drugs. I really wish our healthcare system was more transparent.

If it fits in your budget and you can still put away for retirement and other goals then it is right for you. As a family of 5, our vacation budget is less than half of that. But we are at the most expensive point in our lives, with 2 in college for the next 3 years and we are trying to cash roll it. Ughhh. I keep thinking that in 5 years, when all 3 are done and hopefully 🤞 out on their own, we will be "rich". lol Maybe then we can up our travel budget and do more fun things. But I am terribly cheap and that will not change no matter what my budget, so I don't see me ever doing an ABD or paying $1000 to rent a boat :scared1: but if they are important to you and you see value in them then do it! Enjoy all your trips!

Thanks. I am going to trim this. We could technically afford it, but I want to retire early. I think maybe we will do a one day boat rental for $200-250. The ABD won’t be a yearly expense maybe every other year lol. I also think we may drive to the lake house and save $500. It’s annoying doing a 12 hour drive, maybe I can use URs for that. And Rome I’ll try to keep under $1000. That’s $1800 I “saved.”

Im trying to set up a budget for our 2020 vacations. We didn't budget this year and I think we went too crazy. I have totaled everything up yet and im not sure I want to lol. I was originally thinking 12,000 for four week long vacations and maybe a few long weekend trips. But now I do not think that will be enough. We have our ABD (5,000) two annual passes (2,000ish) Rome is covered except for excursions and food (1500?I could probably get this cheaper but I wanted to rent a fiat and have a driver for the day and that was like $300 lol) our trip with SO's family to their lakehouse (Car rental $500, Boat rental $1000 and a nice meal to treat his family $300 (we spent this this year and I had a heart attack because I was not expecting that much maybe like $150), plus helping out with the occasional groceries and taking his niece out for a day another $200) (I could cut the boat rental, but thats a lot of fun) DVC dues (500) That leaves $1000 left over for a weeklong Disney Trip and long weekends. Yuck, im not sure if I want to up the budget or start cutting things. I think considering I mostly use points for flights and hotels 12 grand on incidentals is ridiculous, but idk maybe im out of touch. My family traveled maybe once a year and my SO only went to the lake house for a week and his family only continues to do that so 12,000 seems like a lot, but maybe it isn't, idk? any thoughts?
I may not have the best view on this, but if you have the time and money to travel, I say go for it. You supplement a lot with CCs and MS so that helps. I too only went on at most one trip to the beach annually and didn't really do WDW until I was an "adult." Look at me now!

I remember the beginning of Up every time I want to do something and start to rethink it. Clearly an extreme example, but you have no idea what will happen down the line. You are paying off all your bills and saving for retirement so if there is room in the budget I would spend it and enjoy life ☺

DH’s Boundless upgrade free 35k night is already there. He now has 2 35k and 1 25k to use. Too bad I am working on keeping my Platinum status. Although the 25k expires at the beginning of Jan 2020 so that one will need to get used.
I thought you could call in to use your free night for someone else, maybe you can call to try to book them for you so you get credit towards your Platinum instead?

I haven't done it yet myself. I tried adding hubby at the hotel so it would count for his status but that's not worked out well. More consistent seems to be having you added or primary before arrival. But I already used my free cert so I won't be trying it myself until next year .

@speedyfishy I agree with @PolyRob that if you have the time and money to travel go for it. I grew up going to Disney once a year from Illinois and that was basically the only trip we ever took. My wife took even less trips than that growing up. We both love to vacation and we are still very responsible savers. As long as you are not spending all your money that you need for other things on vacations....I say vacation away.

I may not have the best view on this, but if you have the time and money to travel, I say go for it. You supplement a lot with CCs and MS so that helps. I too only went on at most one trip to the beach annually and didn't really do WDW until I was an "adult." Look at me now!

I remember the beginning of Up every time I want to do something and start to rethink it. Clearly an extreme example, but you have no idea what will happen down the line. You are paying off all your bills and saving for retirement so if there is room in the budget I would spend it and enjoy life ☺

True. I was hoping to use half of my MS funds for travel and half for retirement savings. This will probably be a good balance. If I could swing $3,000 a month that would give me $18,000 a year for travel and $18,000 in savings. In addition to what my SO puts in.

The way I handle my budget is I drop the funds in a separate account. My budget was 10K/year with family and with DVC. For awhile it wasn't enough. Then it was too much. Depended on who went, how many rooms needed, who was eating what. I know lots of people would be crushed to only have that but I'm always able to get value and I never miss luxury or expensive meals as walking a beach or hiking a trail while birdwatching are my pleasures.

Now that is a huge amount for just me with all the little discounts and my reduced need for table service, but I can see the costs creeping up when adding the grands.

As I age there may come a time when I'm an addition to someone else's plans.

I also find that when I'm looking at my actual funds, I'm maybe a bit over cautious about spending them. But, I don't feel deprived at all. I've had a lot of nice trips and the best ones are always with family and friends.

just a quick update..after 2 Visa Gift Card to Serve fails, one at Family Dollar, other at Dollar General. Which I expect might still work with a different cashier.
But had success at Walmart..amazed at how easy it is. told him I wanted to load a serve. he said , put the card in the reader. I asked which card. he said Serve. then he asked how much. I told him.
then put in the visa gift card. and that was it. I didn't even have to use a 4 digit code, which I expected. Thanks everyone who helped me.

I'm really bad at budgets, I figure it will cost what it will cost but I'm pretty frugal in general so I tend to rein myself in naturally. I agree with others that if it's your discretionary income and you've done the responsible part of saving and paying down any debts and covering your basics, then it's your money to enjoy as you see fit. My family didn't vacation when I was young. I think in those 18 years I was at home, we went to Yellowstone once and Disneyland once.

Looking back over the past 6+ years, I think I've averaged $1100 OOP per person per week of vacation, including transportation, lodging, all meals and activities. This includes international travel (England, Italy, Ireland, France, Belize, Costa Rica) and Hawaii twice. It's heavily subsidized by travel hacking, which you have a good handle on.

I'm looking forward to when I'm not constrained by the school schedule and DH and I can travel more freely at less expensive times (this is what I'm hoarding MRs and URs for). This is likely a pipe dream, since that's also when DD will be in college and we'll be paying for that lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!