I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, because we'd first have to figure out where we want that place to be. I've researched the places we plan to do, not other places. I know enough to know where I don't want to go, Kyoto, sorry to those that like it, and I think we'd probably do Osaka and Hiroshima. Universal I'm sure, especially if they have nintendo open by then, but that probably wouldn't be but a day or two, but I'm not even sure where it's located to know how well it fits we everything. Then do 2-3 nights in Okiniwa instead of the one we have planned now. But I don't even want to have to figure that all out and book stuff we don't need if it's not necessarily. We'll evaluate it as we go, but there's been enough work put into what we already want to do that I'm not inclined to put a ton more work in to figure out a 2nd week just in case at this point. My brain and my spreadsheet are not in a place to do that at the moment. Maybe this winter.

I understand. It's the reason I have no trips planned at the moment. :( I hope you figure out a good plan either way. There is so much up in the air with HK these days and no way to predict what things will be like in a year. I hope it all works out for you. :)

So what does Amex do when 2 credits apply? I got an email that my dinner last night qualifies for small biz credit but I also have the Hilton resort credit. I already have a negative balance from canceling my SW flights.
You'll get both the $5 credit and the Hilton resort credit, I posted the other day that it stacks. I had a $12.20 charge at a local restaurant, and got back the $5 and the $12.20 resort credit on my Hilton card. I'm sitting at negative $80 right now, and I think that will go even higher. I'll probably shift it over to another card as payment, which takes a couple weeks IIRC.

I looked at the wrong Amex offer. I changed my post so as not to confuse anyone.

I checked and as stated by a couple of people, my end date is 9/20 also. Excellent!

But, on 6 amex cards, I was only able to add it to one, even though it was on all 6 originally.

Wow so ... lots to think about.

On the WDW Website for the Poly , a "Deluxe Studio Standard View" for a week (i'm getting really ambitious here) is coming up at $5300 including taxes and such.

On this DVC resale site I am looking at, for the same week, shows a "standard view" at the Poly for $2470.

There has to be a bigger "catch" than just not being able to cancel, right????

This is so weird... and overwhelming!

Renting DVC points is a minefield right now. I don't know for sure, but I'm assuming there are at least two or three types of deals out there.

DVC extended the life of 2018 points to Nov 30, 2020. So, if I had any hanging around, I'd be trying to use them and if I couldn't I'd be trying to rent them for a stay by Nov 30, 2020. Problem is lack of studios. Lack of studios didn't just happen.

Studios have been short for a good part of November since the 11 month booking window opened. People go to Food and Wine. It's high season with low points. November also has the Thanksgiving week, which is also popular.

But, during the present situation, I don't recommend using those particular points. On Nov 30, they are gone - that's why they are so cheap. Anything can happen between now and November 30 so keeping some kind of option open is key, unless you want to take someone else's liability and make it your own.

I personally doubt that Disney will close down DVC again unless state or federally mandated and there is in my opinion no chance of that in Florida.

But, anything can happen on a personal level, so it is too risky, even at $10 a point.

If the points I were renting had a use year of October or November 2020, and the owner put in writing that they would change dates, even to banking points into 2021, I'd still hesitate right now, and those would be the most unfettered points that could be rented. Also, not likely to be reduced to $10 a point.

The market is flooded with points for a reason. There are a bunch of point speculators out there - people who bought 3,4, 5K points and set up their own little businesses. Those people are hurting right now and trying to rent what they can. I doubt they are the most flexible though as they don't want their points back if something goes wrong.

Then there are the point brokers like David's and other sites - again, they want it to be one and done. They don't want to give you back money if things go south.

If you are looking at a DVC reservation, that's a different option - the company or individual has already booked the nights. You won't see that on the Disboards until 30 days out from the check in date as the Dis doesn't allow an existing reservation to be posted for rental until the points are basically in distress. Again, if you rent this and can't go you may have tossed away your hard earned money.

In normal times renting points is a great option - right now not so much. But if you have a high risk tolerance, it could be a deal. Not for me!

Daughter made Marriott Plat while we were at the beach in Delaware. Today, her account reflected another 13 nights. This was talked about on here a couple weeks back, so I ran to my account to see if I had Platinum.

Well, nothing yet for me. I'll keep watching.

Has anyone else had an elite night jump?

You'll get both the $5 credit and the Hilton resort credit, I posted the other day that it stacks. I had a $12.20 charge at a local restaurant, and got back the $5 and the $12.20 resort credit on my Hilton card. I'm sitting at negative $80 right now, and I think that will go even higher. I'll probably shift it over to another card as payment, which takes a couple weeks IIRC.
Until Amex starts clawing back...

Not making this political, just bummed that the state dept has raised the risk for China and hong kong. I realize a lot can change between now and Sept 2021 but it's starting to feel silly planning it. But we'd already decided to fly rt to Japan in case we had to change to 2 weeks in japan. It'd give us time to go to universal and I know there's a ton to do in japan so it'll still be fun it's just not what we've been planning. So we'll keep watching and if need be drop our night in beijing to see the wall to keep Shanghai and hk we will since it was an added bonus due to being so close.

Just :guilty::crazy2::scared::sad2::rolleyes1 at the moment about it all.
I will sympathize with you. We had to cancel our October trip to Beijing and Shanghai. This was DH’s bucket list trip to Asia that he’s been talking about for almost 10 years. We were trying to reschedule to next year. Now I’m at the point where I don’t know if this one will even happen. He’s super bummed.

Daughter made Marriott Plat while we were at the beach in Delaware. Today, her account reflected another 13 nights. This was talked about on here a couple weeks back, so I ran to my account to see if I had Platinum.

Well, nothing yet for me. I'll keep watching.

Has anyone else had an elite night jump?

I went to check my account and have 77 nights. This gets me to Titanium again. This will get me another 40,000 point FNC.

I will sympathize with you. We had to cancel our October trip to Beijing and Shanghai. This was DH’s bucket list trip to Asia that he’s been talking about for almost 10 years. We were trying to reschedule to next year. Now I’m at the point where I don’t know if this one will even happen. He’s super bummed.

It's a bummer because we can wait for a vaccine or whatever but politics are hard. And I'd have no problem of only going to HKDL and SDL and not seeing anything else in either place, it would suck but we also wouldn't be going to either place if Disney wasn't there. It's also not like traveling to china isn't already slightly worrisome even knowing expats that live there and friends that have visited without issue.

It's a bummer because we can wait for a vaccine or whatever but politics are hard. And I'd have no problem of only going to HKDL and SDL and not seeing anything else in either place, it would suck but we also wouldn't be going to either place if Disney wasn't there. It's also not like traveling to china isn't already slightly worrisome even knowing expats that live there and friends that have visited without issue.
Yes, agreed. When we planned the trip last year (booked Aug 2019), “things” aka politics were going alright in the world and China seemed like a good bet. How quickly things have changed. At this point, it’s like a pipe dream. But on the bright side, again, how quickly things can change! There’s still time... I do hope you guys get to go to HKDL and SDL. I was soooo looking forward to SDL and all the spectacular things! :guilty:

Yes, agreed. When we planned the trip last year (booked Aug 2019), “things” aka politics were going alright in the world and China seemed like a good bet. How quickly things have changed. At this point, it’s like a pipe dream. But on the bright side, again, how quickly things can change! There’s still time... I do hope you guys get to go to HKDL and SDL. I was soooo looking forward to SDL and all the spectacular things! :guilty:

Hopefully you guys can get to go too! Fingers crossed.

Split stay is also a mess right now because you can’t book tickets longer than your length of stay at the first hotel. It’s messing with my planning for sure because I want to book a package and retain flexibility to cancel if I went with a full refund (vs buying tix separately).

Just to clarify you can buy 5 day tickets with a 4 night stay (or less days) but you can’t buy more (ie 8 day tix).

Unless you happen to know a TA who can help you out with that :laughing:

We ordered from our favorite Chinese restaurant last night. Tomorrow we hit the overpriced gelato place. I’ve used the offer three times and dd has used it once.

Add us to the list of people loving this offer! We've used it 4x as of tonight. Two times at our fav chinese place, once at the froyo spot and once at a place that sells tie dye supplies. Sixteen more to go :)

There are retail renting sites (and one of them, The Timeshare Store owns DISboards), and there are fellow DISers renting here on DISboards (https://www.disboards.com/forums/dvc-rent-trade.29/).

ETA: For a week at PVB in Nov 2020 (except a few days around Thanksgiving), a week of Standard View Deluxe Studio is 137 points. In normal times that might cost around $2500 (at $18 per point rental), but if they are going for closer to $10 per point, as someone suggested above, that same room would be $1370 for a week.

ETA: Availability is going to be the problem. I just sampled a couple full weeks in November at PVB and they are not available for the Studios. Also DVC was saying the cost would be 145 points not 137 that I said above.

So (sorry to be dumb), when you say "for a week at PVB In November 2020...." what are you looking at? Is that something that I, as a non-DVC person, can look at somewhere? (I am thinking "no").

And then as far as availability- that's a good thing to consider. If I went to David's (where I was looking), it does list a price and of course they'd have to get back to me once they see it's available I suppose. I see they have a method for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices.

Very confusing for someone like me!

Renting DVC points is a minefield right now. I don't know for sure, but I'm assuming there are at least two or three types of deals out there.

DVC extended the life of 2018 points to Nov 30, 2020. So, if I had any hanging around, I'd be trying to use them and if I couldn't I'd be trying to rent them for a stay by Nov 30, 2020. Problem is lack of studios. Lack of studios didn't just happen.

Studios have been short for a good part of November since the 11 month booking window opened. People go to Food and Wine. It's high season with low points. November also has the Thanksgiving week, which is also popular.

But, during the present situation, I don't recommend using those particular points. On Nov 30, they are gone - that's why they are so cheap. Anything can happen between now and November 30 so keeping some kind of option open is key, unless you want to take someone else's liability and make it your own.

I personally doubt that Disney will close down DVC again unless state or federally mandated and there is in my opinion no chance of that in Florida.

But, anything can happen on a personal level, so it is too risky, even at $10 a point.

If the points I were renting had a use year of October or November 2020, and the owner put in writing that they would change dates, even to banking points into 2021, I'd still hesitate right now, and those would be the most unfettered points that could be rented. Also, not likely to be reduced to $10 a point.

The market is flooded with points for a reason. There are a bunch of point speculators out there - people who bought 3,4, 5K points and set up their own little businesses. Those people are hurting right now and trying to rent what they can. I doubt they are the most flexible though as they don't want their points back if something goes wrong.

Then there are the point brokers like David's and other sites - again, they want it to be one and done. They don't want to give you back money if things go south.

If you are looking at a DVC reservation, that's a different option - the company or individual has already booked the nights. You won't see that on the Disboards until 30 days out from the check in date as the Dis doesn't allow an existing reservation to be posted for rental until the points are basically in distress. Again, if you rent this and can't go you may have tossed away your hard earned money.

In normal times renting points is a great option - right now not so much. But if you have a high risk tolerance, it could be a deal. Not for me!

Thank you for those detailed thoughts. I

So if I understand correctly, there is always a risk with renting points because the actual owner may or may not follow through on their end of the bargain and if they don't you could be out money.

Then there is a different sort of risk renting through something like David's or the DIS-affiliiated time share company, not necessarily because they wouldn't honor the bargain, but because you'd be out the money due to... possibly Disney shutting down DVC again? Do I have that right? And of course in that case I'd be out money.

Thank you all for your patience as I try to sort through this. I figure all of you are the most expert experts there are!

Let's say I decided to go with a company (David's or the other). Let's say they have the dates and type of accomodation I am looking for so I pay my non-refundable money and look forward to November. Is the ONLY risk in this case that DVC might get shut down again, either by Disney or by the State? Or are there other risks (besides not being able to find or get flights, which I suppose is a risk it itself these days, and possibly the parks shutting down again) that I am missing?

Let's say I decided to go with a company (David's or the other). Let's say they have the dates and type of accomodation I am looking for so I pay my non-refundable money and look forward to November. Is the ONLY risk in this case that DVC might get shut down again, either by Disney or by the State? Or are there other risks (besides not being able to find or get flights, which I suppose is a risk it itself these days, and possibly the parks shutting down again) that I am missing?

Along with the flights would be, though lets all laugh at this thought, that either FL or AZ implement a 14 day quarantine for those traveling from either of those states. Or really any reason that you may not be able to go.

DVC rental can be a great money saver for staying deluxe but you've got to weigh the risks any time, not just now. You never know what may happen that would prevent you from traveling so you've got to be willing to lose the money no matter the reason because we could be here all night coming up with reasons and still not come up with the one that eventually causes the trip to be lost. Or everything could go great, it's all based on the amount of risk you're willing to take. To look at it another way, if you aren't willing to wait on your Nov Japan trip, when if the airline cancelled you'd still get your points and money back like you did, are you willing to risk it when it's actual cash and you don't know what will happen.

Along with the flights would be, though lets all laugh at this thought, that either FL or AZ implement a 14 day quarantine for those traveling from either of those states. Or really any reason that you may not be able to go.

DVC rental can be a great money saver for staying deluxe but you've got to weigh the risks any time, not just now. You never know what may happen that would prevent you from traveling so you've got to be willing to lose the money no matter the reason because we could be here all night coming up with reasons and still not come up with the one that eventually causes the trip to be lost. Or everything could go great, it's all based on the amount of risk you're willing to take. To look at it another way, if you aren't willing to wait on your Nov Japan trip, when if the airline cancelled you'd still get your points and money back like you did, are you willing to risk it when it's actual cash and you don't know what will happen.
Very good thoughts, all. Thank you.
And I really don't know whether to laugh or cry at the comment about FL and AZ! I've been thinking the same thing! Both of them trying to keep out the other! *sigh* what a mess this year has been!!!!

@ten6mom DVC point rental is something our family did many times before we actually bought DVC. I think it's a great way to stay deluxe but it's not something I'd recommend right now. It's been a total mess and I'm with @SouthFayetteFan, flexibility and ability to cancel and get your money back is key right now.

Answering some questions from your previous response to me - sorry didn't quote - @Haley R
answered this but yes, the Skyliner runs from Pop/Art of Animation and Caribbean Beach to both EP and DHS. It does not go to AK. Only buses go to AK.

Park days - I think 6 days is a minimum! Someone else already mentioned about how much cheaper it gets after 5 days. DLR limits tickets to 5 days but WDW allows 10 day tickets. We currently have AP's but in the past, we've always bought tickets and even though we go annually, we have never bought less than 7-day tickets. There is just so much to see and do and we still never get it all done! WDW actually has less rides than DLR (so weird to think about...) but everything takes longer to navigate at WDW (transportation & parks are much larger). It's also so nice to build in a resort day as @Judique mentioned. Or even two resort days, depending on length of stay. Resort hopping to eat and shop and check out the resort is a fav pastime for our family. However, what is allowed right now is kind of an unknown and you may need an ADR to visit a resort. Is that a deal breaker? If you'd be up for having a sit down meal anyways, then maybe not. *IF* resort hopping is allowed, I recommend the Poly in MK area and the entire EP area, which includes Yacht & Beach and Boardwalk. This is a super fun area to stay in if you can spend a bit more.

@Judique also mentioned staying at Swan & Dolphin. This is definitely worth considering as these are deluxe level hotels but owned and operated by Marriott. Prices will be in line with a Disney moderate hotel and they will receive Disney transportation of buses to all parks and boats to EP and DHS. They do not receive the Magical Express from the airport so you would need to take an Uber or Lyft. The resort fee is $34 a night, iirc, and not waived even on a points booking.

Christmas decorations would definitely be going up by Nov 15!!! It truly is a great time to go! So excited for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter