I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@punkin - guess what I have to buy this week - a refrigerator!

I noticed that my bottled water and my Brita pitcher did not have the usual ice cold water. At first figured they were just not in there long enough.

But, noted it again and mentioned to daughter who said she had noticed about a week ago.

So the research begins. Turns out old fridge - a Whirlpool Gold side by side - was manufactured 10/05 so almost 15 years old. My memory was telling me about 12, but after doing some math, 14 to 15 sounds right.

I'm looking anywhere in the $0- $3000 range, but probably around $2k. I have a 'little' time as food is not spoiling, freezer stuff is rock hard and I do have the small freezer if it breaks quickly.

My space can fit a 36" wide/ 33" deep model and actually is adaptable to larger if necessary, but I won't say no to a counter depth model either if all else is right. But since it is on one side of the kitchen with floor to ceiling cabinet next to it and a window near the other side, the 33 inch depth is okay.

I'm off to the stores after spending several hours, first trouble shooting and finding out it can be fixed, and then looking at new ones online.

Since it's 15 years old, I don't want to fix it. I figure if I fix it, something else will then go wrong. Plus right now I don't have a handy dandy cheap appliance repair guy or a warranty of any kind, so we are looking at minimum $150. I trouble shooted enough to know that it's at least a $50 part, plus service call.
I decided on the Samsung but the LGs are better rated. Good luck with your search.

If you get the Amex pop up does that mean you are banned from all Amex cards? How long do you need to wait before applying for another Amex card. I am using my Amex cards more lately.

You're not banned from anything, you just won't get the bonus if you continue past the pop up. No it's not on all, but knowing which one it's on and how many other amex cards you have would help answer the how long, even though no one can really answer that either but we can give you dps of what's worked or not worked for us.

How many amex do you have, how long have you had each of them, what card are you trying for and how much spend have you been putting on each of the cards. And how long is lately?

Maybe others are procrastinating like me and doing taxes right now. Nothing like having 3 extra months and still waiting till last day. The sad thing is we are getting a refund, lol, so don't ask me why we procrastinated.

I thought DH had taken care of it and asked him last week when our accountant would be getting back to us....he gave me a deer-in-the-headlights look and promptly went off to scan in our W2s :rotfl: They came back today and they have the wrong address/occupation for us so we have to get that corrected and then e-file them tomorrow. And then we get to pay $157, yippee :(

I did my taxes 4 months ago and am still waiting for my $2 refund. They are under review. Yippee. This was my first year as a partner but I did them with two or three different programs and got the same result so I’m not sure why they got flagged. And I don’t itemize so they really aren’t that complicated. It’s always something.

8 am zoom meeting tomorrow. I guess I can’t be getting out of the shower at 8:30 and “going to work” with wet hair, no makeup, and a Nike t-shirt.

And dd started working at chick fil a this week. So far so good. Between working, college applications, and studying for the ACT (if they ever administer it again) the rest of her summer is going to fly by.

If anyone is looking for a fun card game, we stared playing skyjo last week. We’re really enjoying it.

I know - it just feels like so much of churning and travel is bummer town right now!

Here’s some random off topic info:

I’m in the midst of getting quotes on windows. I feel like I want to buy them from everybody! 🤣 I just enjoy a sales guy who makes a good pitch.

Although that’s not entirely true since the guy yesterday was a pompous tool so no thanks. But the others are great!

I really liked the first guy who quoted us. Then the salesman tonight was this kind old man and my wife wants to buy from him a lot. So now we are super conflicted!

It is windows year for us. 3 years ago = roof; 2 years ago = retaining wall; 1 year ago = driveway/b-ball court; and here we are now at windows year. Gotta make a decision this week 😊

No travel plans here, either. :( Way to go on the windows. DH and I hate dealing with this stuff - I wish he enjoyed it - maybe we would get new windows then. I think it's time to change out a couple doors and windows here, but I don't even know where to start. DM used Marvin and neighbor went with Anderson, but both were so expensive. It's hard to spend right now with things so uncertain.

Spending a few days visiting my parents in FL. Just hanging out and swimming, nothing exciting. They are still stopping cars on 95S and asking where you're coming from. I said NC, and got the thumbs up to continue on my way. Not sure what answer will get you sent over to the naughty tent. :rotfl:

My first world problem is whether to Disney or not in Nov. We have a hotel, courtesy of AA miles, over thanksgiving break. Definitely staying there but when I was pricing out tix (finally able to buy and reserve 2020 tix), they were >$500 per person for 5 day tickets and we are a family of 5. Almost $2800 for 5 days. Not sure that's worth it to me anymore. I must be getting old. Thinking about universal. We've been to both several times, but WDW way more. Also planning on visiting DL next summer (crossing fingers, we'll see what travel looks like then), so that is pushing me more towards universal in Nov. WWYD? :D

Maybe others are procrastinating like me and doing taxes right now. Nothing like having 3 extra months and still waiting till last day. The sad thing is we are getting a refund, lol, so don't ask me why we procrastinated.

You are early! I'm doing mine tomorrow, and I've got to write them a check as usual. But, mine are super simple.

Edit: won't be an actual check......

Last edited:
Spending a few days visiting my parents in FL. Just hanging out and swimming, nothing exciting. They are still stopping cars on 95S and asking where you're coming from. I said NC, and got the thumbs up to continue on my way. Not sure what answer will get you sent over to the naughty tent. :rotfl:

My first world problem is whether to Disney or not in Nov. We have a hotel, courtesy of AA miles, over thanksgiving break. Definitely staying there but when I was pricing out tix (finally able to buy and reserve 2020 tix), they were >$500 per person for 5 day tickets and we are a family of 5. Almost $2800 for 5 days. Not sure that's worth it to me anymore. I must be getting old. Thinking about universal. We've been to both several times, but WDW way more. Also planning on visiting DL next summer (crossing fingers, we'll see what travel looks like then), so that is pushing me more towards universal in Nov. WWYD? :D
We are going to Universal over thanksgiving, hoping we can do 1 night at Disney on Sunday 11/29 and go to MVMCP. As of now, we have flights returning Monday but no Disney reservations.

I’m also strongly considering quitting my job to homeschool this year. So credit card applications will stop as I’ll have no earned income as a SAHM.

Also pray for me, cause I was not cut out for the SAHM/ homeschooling life, especially when you can’t even go places or do things.
SAHM mom and Homeschooling mom here 🙋‍♀️ First, you will still be able to apply for cards! Believe it or not, the banks do not care if you or your dh actually hold the job and make the income. So applying for cards using household income is still something you can do.

Second, I was not cut out for this either. Who is?? Heck, it was so far out of my plans, I can't even tell you. I was never going to homeschool. Ever. And yet, much like covid is forcing it for so many families (I can't tell you how many mama's have contacted me asking for advice on how to do this...), I was forced into it. I agreed to one year. ONE YEAR. And then I was done and we needed to have another arrangement in place. Um, famous last words...That child I began with who was starting Kindergarten is now 20 and a junior in college. And I am still trekking along with her sister going into her senior year and one brother beginning middle school and one in elementary. Never was this my plan but it's been one of the most amazing experiences of my life and one, I know, I will never regret.

Lastly, if you need any encouragement or help along the way, feel free to PM me.

I know I've mentioned a few times that we are refinancing. Closing is still on for tomorrow. It's been a hassle. Like of all the refi's we have ever done, this ranks last. I just want this done! We used Better.com for the amex offer but what a pain, what a pain, what a pain...I so badly would like to apply for another card but am waiting for this refi to be done - that was supposed to be done almost a month ago. Ugh!!

In other news, we leave for Disney in less than a week! I'm feeling a lot of different emotions about this trip. I'm excited, nervous, happy, anxious, sad, worried, and everything else in there. Our attitude is that it will not be normal but hopefully still be good. Expectations are pretty low I guess. We have nowhere to go but up lol!

I don’t think it would mention COVID....it may say a pandemic, epidemic or something like that and most travel insurance policies exclude those

Ok good to know; I will look for that.
I don't think most people use ins for resort only trips just cruises. I'd look at their cancellation policy and what their pay in full date is, they'd changed it and I don't know if it's back to normal or not. I think their time frame would be ok with you finding that stuff out. You might lose the deposit which could be similar to the cost of their ins, not sure what they charge.

I'd read through any ins with a fine tooth comb though, a lot won't cover this stuff now.

Thank you. It seems Disney will let me cancel within about a month, which is great; my concern is that something would come in last minute.

Don't hate me but I googled "trip cancellation insurance with no restrictions" and the first return was from everyone's favorite POINTS person. :rolleyes1 .... but I'm still gonna look and see what he has to say!

Our house is closer to 100 years old. We replaced all of the windows when we bought it, but there are a few that need to be redone again anyways.

I have to replace 5 basement windows, that I guess may be original. 67 year old house, same as me. There are some others that I dislike - style and size - but there is nothing really wrong with them.

I had an energy audit done and the basement ones would help but weren't that big a deal to the guy. None face the front of my house and are all at ground level. But I want to redo the basement part that is finished and I want to put one or maybe two egress windows in. Also want them all updated looking and working. Lets face it- if I don't have a project, I'm looking for one!

Can someone remind me when the AF for the Citi AA card hits? I can't remember whether I paid it right away when I got it (almost a year ago) or if it will sneak up and post next month when I've stopped paying attention.

Also, if it hasn't posted yet, at what point do I cancel the card? Before or after?

SAHM mom and Homeschooling mom here 🙋‍♀️ First, you will still be able to apply for cards! Believe it or not, the banks do not care if you or your dh actually hold the job and make the income. So applying for cards using household income is still something you can do.

Second, I was not cut out for this either. Who is?? Heck, it was so far out of my plans, I can't even tell you. I was never going to homeschool. Ever. And yet, much like covid is forcing it for so many families (I can't tell you how many mama's have contacted me asking for advice on how to do this...), I was forced into it. I agreed to one year. ONE YEAR. And then I was done and we needed to have another arrangement in place. Um, famous last words...That child I began with who was starting Kindergarten is now 20 and a junior in college. And I am still trekking along with her sister going into her senior year and one brother beginning middle school and one in elementary. Never was this my plan but it's been one of the most amazing experiences of my life and one, I know, I will never regret.

Lastly, if you need any encouragement or help along the way, feel free to PM me.
Yeah I think it’s the idea that this is going to get worse, we’re going to be back to sheltering in place, and it’s going to be winter and we won’t even be able to go out everyday.

I feel like I’d dread it less in a situation where you could go to play groups or museums or something.

And this is absolutely temporary lol. I like working and normally love my job and am quite upset about this idea id quitting.

But my little one has bad asthma, has already had pneumonia twice and been hospitalized for it. Not looking for a repeat. Keeping us all home seems like the safest bet.

Whoa....is this normal? I bought gas for the car yesterday using my amex blue... I see a pending $100 on the card??? I thought that was like a debit card thing? cost was like $25

I know I've mentioned a few times that we are refinancing. Closing is still on for tomorrow. It's been a hassle. Like of all the refi's we have ever done, this ranks last. I just want this done! We used Better.com for the amex offer but what a pain, what a pain, what a pain...I so badly would like to apply for another card but am waiting for this refi to be done - that was supposed to be done almost a month ago. Ugh!!

In other news, we leave for Disney in less than a week! I'm feeling a lot of different emotions about this trip. I'm excited, nervous, happy, anxious, sad, worried, and everything else in there. Our attitude is that it will not be normal but hopefully still be good. Expectations are pretty low I guess. We have nowhere to go but up lol!
I totally spaced on the fact that we are refinancing too, so I applied for the CSP. DH said we would need to pay for the pool expenses Monday and I immediately applied for the card. At least we are going through Navy Fed and they are sooooo backed up that refinancing is taking 120 day, we are 20 days in.

@SouthFayetteFan We did windows last year. Such a great investment! My dh was pushing for them but I was pretty against. In the end, he was right and they are awesome. Hope you get it all figured out. And here I thought you weren't spending 🤣
Spending and investing are two different things? Am I right! 🤣

Given that we should still be in this house 20-30 yrs from now I think these windows could pay for themselves over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter