I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely don’t consider myself a Hyatt expert and I’m not sure if this will help but I ran into this article a few years ago.

https://www.godsavethepoints.com/hack-unlock-hyatt-blackout-dates-using-points/

hyatt bookings is kinda weird. the reps do try when u cant do it online though...
for some reason, i couldnt book a point night for 2 adults, 2 kids... but i can with cash.

rep said it cost 20k for 2 adults, 30k for 1 child. (Ziva). she couldnt get 2 adults in... but by standard, it would cost me 40k points...
then someone else pointed it out to me on why i dont just book 2 rooms... LOL. Feel like the system knows this and blocked me intentionally... lol

hyatt bookings is kinda weird. the reps do try when u cant do it online though...
for some reason, i couldnt book a point night for 2 adults, 2 kids... but i can with cash.

rep said it cost 20k for 2 adults, 30k for 1 child. (Ziva). she couldnt get 2 adults in... but by standard, it would cost me 40k points...
then someone else pointed it out to me on why i dont just book 2 rooms... LOL. Feel like the system knows this and blocked me intentionally... lol

When I called to switch my hotel last week I was able to pull it up for 3 nights on the app on points in a king suite (hyatt house) but the guy couldn't get it to split at first because I had 1 free night and 2 nights on points. He was ready to put me on hold to talk with a manager or the property to get it to work when he was able to get it figured out. Really I think he just had to switch with two nights he did as points around to get it to work. But so far (knock on wood) Hyatt's the one place I don't mind calling, always have good calls and sometimes nice chats. I generally combine points and a free night cert and the bookings have always gotten all tied together by them as well. It's actually the one thing I find easier to do over the phone than online :)

And I did have that same thought when you first posted about the Ziva and booking two rooms but I figured you had a reason for wanting one vs two so I didn't say anything. It's an odd way to do it but with it being all inclusive I can understand the reasoning but it def makes two rooms make way more sense than 4 in a room.

Can someone point me to the rules/pacing for Amex applications? I know I saw it somewhere but can't find it.

Can someone point me to the rules/pacing for Amex applications? I know I saw it somewhere but can't find it.

Pretty simple - only 2 credit cards every 90 days, and sometimes only 1 every 5 for auto-approval (but you can sometimes call in and push that through). As many charge cards as they will approve you for. No more than 5 credit cards in total.

For anyone who hasn't used their AmEx Sam's Club membership offer yet, the Sam's Join for $45 get $45 back promotion is back!
Valid 1/27 - 3/8/2020

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/sams-club-join-for-45-get-45-money-maker-after-stacking/
It worked for me last year to stack this with a new member GC offer. You kinda layer your links to set all the cookies and it'll add each offer onto the order.
You'd load the promo link they send in the email but don't finish checking out. Then you'd load something like a support link to get a eGC added to the order in the same tab. Now you'd finish checking out.

I gave up waiting for this promo to come back and used another link for $20 eGC. I stacked that with my support link (signed up hubby this year) and I have two $20 eGCs attached to my membership order BUT nothing has shipped yet so there's no charge on the AmEx yet :(. I don't think it's necessarily the stacking that has our order delayed, others successfully do this, but it is an oddity I thought I'd mention. (it's just weird they haven't charged the membership charge yet. it went pending but just dropped off today since they didn't finalize it. :confused3 )
thanks for reminding me to look at my account! I finally saw the charge for membership on my account (3 weeks!) and wish now I had waited for this.... but I'll take free (vs. this moneymaker lol) I used all 3 of my amex offers in one day to stock up on seltzer!

Does anyone canceling their Sams membership have the Sams credit card? I am thinking that is tied to my account, is that right? It is my personal oldest card in my name so I don't want to get it cancelled. I never use it, just don't want it cancelled. I am afraid to do the cancel membership and get a new one. Last year they talked me into upgrading to plus. I think I broke even on that. I don't shop there enough. Will see how much I get back this year and decide if I want to downgrade back to basic but it seems like these sign up deals come often so would like to do it in future if I am downgrading and it doesn't cancel my MasterCard. The credit card is my membership card so that is why I think they are linked.

Does anyone canceling their Sams membership have the Sams credit card? I am thinking that is tied to my account, is that right? It is my personal oldest card in my name so I don't want to get it cancelled. I never use it, just don't want it cancelled. I am afraid to do the cancel membership and get a new one. Last year they talked me into upgrading to plus. I think I broke even on that. I don't shop there enough. Will see how much I get back this year and decide if I want to downgrade back to basic but it seems like these sign up deals come often so would like to do it in future if I am downgrading and it doesn't cancel my MasterCard. The credit card is my membership card so that is why I think they are linked.
Wow. I was just writing this post when I saw yours pop up. I have another concern related to cancelling old cards but I already screwed up. I am definitely not going to try to give you any advice lol.

So I went on CreditKarma and noticed P2's CS had fallen from 822-807 from November to January (it is currently stalled at 807. I then remembered Citi just closed her oldest (and sock drawer-ed Simplicity) card that she had held since 2015... ugh... AFs for 2 personal SW cards are going to be due next month so I was planning on cancelling them. The problem is that they are now the oldest cards she has... Do I just suck up the AF's and hold onto them until after I get her next card in March? I feel like I really messed this up. Not sure how all of this will affect her ability to keep getting cards. She finally has a keeper in her CFU (PC'd from a CSR) from 10/18 so this shouldn't happen again but I'm concerned in the short term. Should I be?

Hi everyone,
I normally don't post here, as this is the fastest moving board around... I do follow along though... I am such a newbie, I am learning, I have applied some tips from here, and did pretty dang well...

So I do have some questions-

I want to move my Amex CC points from one card to a different Amex card, to use for Hotel stays for our up coming trip to Japan..... I am pretty sure that I can do it... right?
I just am not sure how to go about doing it?

and

Is there any lag time for them to show up?

and

as well DH has a buddy that say we should always call when using points? Is there any benefit to going this route? He travels alot and say he feels its always worth the call...? thoughts

and the last questions,

The same guy said to look to see if any of our cards offer like a buy one get one free options or double point options on purchasing points... He said that last year one of his CC offers( I don't have any idea what CC made this offer) and he wasn't aware of the offer he would have missed it if he had not called about purchase points to that he needed for a trip... the offer was up to 80,000 points and he said he got double the points for so 160,000 points for 800.00 dollars... so his wife and him both bought the max points allowed separate CC accounts so they spent 1,600.00 for 320,000 points... so I am repeating what he said, and how I understood this to work...
1st has anyone heard of or purchased points this way? and
2nd is this a good deal in the big picture? and
if so is this something that happens often?

Thanks in advance for all your insights... pixiedust::worship::thanks:

The same guy said to look to see if any of our cards offer like a buy one get one free options or double point options on purchasing points... He said that last year one of his CC offers( I don't have any idea what CC made this offer) and he wasn't aware of the offer he would have missed it if he had not called about purchase points to that he needed for a trip... the offer was up to 80,000 points and he said he got double the points for so 160,000 points for 800.00 dollars... so his wife and him both bought the max points allowed separate CC accounts so they spent 1,600.00 for 320,000 points... so I am repeating what he said, and how I understood this to work...

I almost never call when using points. I believe the promo the friend was talking about was Hilton Honors program. I bought the max points allowed as well for my upcoming trip to the Maldives. It was well worth it for me since 1 night there is over $2,000.00 cash, so the cost of the points was less than the cash value. It doesn't always work this way, so this promo is only decent if you know where you want to go and can justify the cost. Hilton runs this promo at least once per year, maybe more.

Hi everyone,
I normally don't post here, as this is the fastest moving board around... I do follow along though... I am such a newbie, I am learning, I have applied some tips from here, and did pretty dang well...

So I do have some questions-

I want to move my Amex CC points from one card to a different Amex card, to use for Hotel stays for our up coming trip to Japan..... I am pretty sure that I can do it... right?
I just am not sure how to go about doing it?

and

Is there any lag time for them to show up?

and

as well DH has a buddy that say we should always call when using points? Is there any benefit to going this route? He travels alot and say he feels its always worth the call...? thoughts

and the last questions,

Hi Welcome!

I'm guessing you want to transfer MR (Amex points) to a certain hotel brand? You need to have a hotel rewards account set up. If you want to transfer points to Marriott, you need a Marriott rewards account.
It's super simple to do online.
You login to Amex and click Explore Rewards
Capture.PNG
From there you just select Transfer points
Capture2.PNG

Regarding the buying points, sometimes hotel brands will have sales. It sounds like he bought Hilton points during one of their sales. You'll have to keep an eye out for those sales.
Sometimes Amex will have a transfer bonus, right now they are having a 20% transfer bonus to Marriott. You'll get 1,200 Marriott points for 1,000 Amex points.
Sometimes the transfer is instant, some programs can take 24-48 hours.
Does this help? Feel free to PM me if you need more help.

Thoughts on getting Citi biz cards for two separate businesses, both legit, both sole proprietorships, both using EIN? Is this going to result in a denial, or worse, hitting spend and only getting one bonus? I’m pretty inexperienced with Citi, have only had an AA biz card several years ago. Our home airport is one that is almost always eligible for the super reduced fares on AA (blanking on the name of that program) and I’d like to look into KrisFlyer redemptions for some long-haul travel in 2021. This AA pullback stuff is freaking me out though.

Thoughts on getting Citi biz cards for two separate businesses, both legit, both sole proprietorships, both using EIN? Is this going to result in a denial, or worse, hitting spend and only getting one bonus? I’m pretty inexperienced with Citi, have only had an AA biz card several years ago. Our home airport is one that is almost always eligible for the super reduced fares on AA (blanking on the name of that program) and I’d like to look into KrisFlyer redemptions for some long-haul travel in 2021. This AA pullback stuff is freaking me out though.

Given the current environment, I would not risk applying for two of the same card. Maybe 1 citi and 1 Barclays AA cards 'might' be ok, but even then I would want those apps (and SUBs) a few months apart. It doesn't seem to matter how legit your businesses are - AA are determining their own criteria for the shutdowns and there doesn't seem to any room for negotiation or explanation.

Yay! I was finally able to link my Swan ressie to MDE this morning. Fancy MBs have been ordered, although the options were slim pickings. I had no idea who some of the characters were on the bands. I guess from Disney Jr?

I am trying to decide if I tell DS when the bands arrive or when we land in MCO and he thinks we are headed to USO. Either way, he is going to be excited.

thanks for reminding me to look at my account! I finally saw the charge for membership on my account (3 weeks!) and wish now I had waited for this.... but I'll take free (vs. this moneymaker lol) I used all 3 of my amex offers in one day to stock up on seltzer!

Ugh, 3 weeks isn't going to work for me. Did you get your GC's before the AmEx charge posted?

My Costco membership is auto charged to my Citi Costco visa. Is that what happens to your membership? I don't have the Sam's card as other than a few online gift cards, my spend there in the past year was probably under $300.

My whole family has my online password and log in for my Costco Visa membership, along with some not blood related family members. One of those just bought a treadmill using my account.

Nobody stores a credit card on the account. A few years ago I looked and everybody had a card there so we cleared them out.

You can probably call and get an answer from the credit card end. If you can keep your card and want to, there are some great incentives to have a husband or daughter sign up for one of the 'freeish' accounts.

Last edited:
Wow. I was just writing this post when I saw yours pop up. I have another concern related to cancelling old cards but I already screwed up. I am definitely not going to try to give you any advice lol.

So I went on CreditKarma and noticed P2's CS had fallen from 822-807 from November to January (it is currently stalled at 807. I then remembered Citi just closed her oldest (and sock drawer-ed Simplicity) card that she had held since 2015... ugh... AFs for 2 personal SW cards are going to be due next month so I was planning on cancelling them. The problem is that they are now the oldest cards she has... Do I just suck up the AF's and hold onto them until after I get her next card in March? I feel like I really messed this up. Not sure how all of this will affect her ability to keep getting cards. She finally has a keeper in her CFU (PC'd from a CSR) from 10/18 so this shouldn't happen again but I'm concerned in the short term. Should I be?

I wouldn't be concerned with an 807 score. I took a strange to me hit when I bought a car in late October but over 3 months I'm back to where I was. Maybe before you cancel next month you will see some upward movement.

While I have never tried (YET!) for Ziva, I had issues last year in New Orleans during St Patty's day. I started trying 15 months ahead. They kept saying only 12 months out. Then 12 months out I still couldn't. I called 3 times and they just looked it up online like I was doing and said it wasn't available. Thanks for totally wasting my time. We ended up having to use pay cash for IHG West Bank but at least we got to leave our car there for a week.

Ugh, 3 weeks isn't going to work for me. Did you get your GC's before the AmEx charge posted?

Not sure if she is talking about '3 weeks before she noticed they auto charged for a renewal of her membership' or whether she was just using up offers on various cards?

Which gift card are you asking her about? The egift card I ordered came instantly and I used it immediately for DVC dues, but charges are still pending for both the ecard and the membership. The membership was done on 1/25, the egift on 1/28, so in the ball park for Sam's going pending. I don't think there will be a problem as they are usually slow with Sam's transactions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter