I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if P2 had:
A Barclays Aviator Personal opened 2/19
A Citi Biz opened 4/19

Any reason to be concerned about applying for a Barclays Biz Aviator?

I don't think this would have even fell into the shutdown territory right?

i dont think ive seen a Barclay shutdown before... i just know if u plan on churning their cards, they from time to time has denied SUB.

i dont think ive seen a Barclay shutdown before... i just know if u plan on churning their cards, they from time to time has denied SUB.
I think the worry was with a Citi shutdown? I stopped paying attention, are they still on the warpath?

I think the worry was with a Citi shutdown? I stopped paying attention, are they still on the warpath?

Only big issue i know with Citi is cycling... other than that, citi doesnt care too much. Believe your thinking of AA on a warpath? AA was shutting ppl's AAvantage down, Citi just sat there twiddling their thumbs...

Reminder - Fireside Chat on SW CP available on DISchurners:

These new offers are nice on the surface, BUT is now the best time to grab a SW card? Not if you're hoping to maximize the use of a CP. If you're thinking about these offers, or the SW CP, or just generally curious, you might want to revisit the comments at the link above before pulling the trigger.

Nonetheless, it's nice to see an increased offer! :D

EDIT: Also worth noting that if these offers are still around in 2 months or so, they will become very attractive as we will be approaching 2021/2022 CP season.
UPDATE to my earlier comment:
The increased SW offers currently state Apply by September 21st, 2020.

ASSUMING this date doesn't change (i.e. goes away early OR offer is extended) 9/21 is a workable deadline date for a 2021/2022 companion pass but it will require a lot of careful steps.
  • First and foremost, it will require a successful MDD of 2 of the SW personal cards - and in 2020 with additional application scrutiny, this could present difficulties.
  • Secondly, you'll probably want to do it as close to 9/21 as possible, BUT you need to allow time to get your cards approved, especially if recon is required for one or both
  • And most important, you'll need to avoid any "CP missteps" which have been detailed before AND not meet your MSR before your December statement closes. An additional step that you'll probably need to take is adjusting your payment due date so that your statement closes earlier in December.
So yes, this is definitely a situation to monitor over the next 6 weeks if 134k SW points AND a 2021/2022 CP is something that interests you!

Got my flights sorted. I decided to reach out on Twitter because I didn't want to deal with canceling CPs with the one not showing in the main acct. Jenna said I didn't get email notification because "it seems each had encountered an error when we were attempting to initially re-accommodate your travels".

In the middle of DMing her I had to run my ODS to Costco. I had a small panic moment when she said it was all set, but I didn't see the email come through or the flights in my acct. Finally located the email, not sure how I missed seeing it. When I got home I finally realized RR #s weren't attached to the flights. That's all sorted and all is set and right in my little world for the time being. Hopefully they don't change the schedule again.

Our CPs are good until next June. I haven't decided what to do. I'm leaning toward waiting and getting them late 2021/early 2022. At most I see 2 trips late next year if any.

Just wanted to post I used my small business credit on my and DH’s cards at my friend’s frame shop on Saturday and the cashback is already showing up in our accounts. We also each got confirmation emails from the transaction when each card was swiped.

I've also got a wacky SW scheduling change story...my DTW-MDW-HOU flight got changed from leaving DTW around noon on Labor Day Monday to leaving DTW on 9/6 in the evening, arriving in MDW 20 min. later, staying overnight, then departing MDW on 9/7 @ 9 am to HOU with a one-hour layover in MSY. I'm super glad we probably aren't taking this trip so I don't have to mess with changing flights to make it a bearable trip.
I'm glad mine didn't include an overnight! It seems their system really screwed up these changes this go around.

:welcome:

I'm leaning toward Hyatt (personally) for my next card, but with your Marriott and Hilton points maybe try to increase your status at one of those. Swan & Dolphin are Marriott and Marriott has the largest footprint of hotels, but their rewards program seems less well liked than the other two.

Even though I've been following here a year, I still have a lot to learn, so let's see what others recommend.
Thank you! I was thinking about Hyatt. I don't know a ton about it, but I've heard good things about their rewards program. I thought about Marriott too. The redemptions seem really steep for the points - but it would be nice to use some at WDW.

I was also thinking it would be great to have something that would help to contribute more points to my Chase Ultimate rewards, but I'm not likely to qualify for a business card.

A few brief thoughts on the Chase Sapphire Reserve and the month of AUGUST
Hello DISchurners friends and welcome to the month of August. If you're anything like me, you have no idea that it's August because you're still waiting for March Madness, the Masters, the NBA Finals, and a bunch of other things to happen before it could possibly be August...but I assure you, it is in fact AUGUST.

A bit of backstory on the CSR:
August has a very interesting history with the Chase Sapphire Reserve card. You see, back in August 2016, the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card (CSR) was released. Newer churners may not even remember a time before the CSR existed but to many long-time churners it was a defining point in churning history.

The CSR and it's all-time high bonus of 100,000 UR POINTS (yes you read that right) for just $4k MSR was indeed a game changer. What was once a fringe hobby suddenly got thrust in to the mainstream. People were talking about this new credit card and it's sign-up bonus worth $1,500 in free travel! A $450 annual fee seemed like a non-issue. This card, and its big-time bonus brought a bunch of people into the churning game and in my humble opinion, too many of them stuck around. What's done is done, and there's no sense in crying over spilled milk but the Pre-CSR churning days are thought of as the "good old days" by many a veteran churner.

Nonetheless, this new card came along...and attracted a ton of new people, BUT most churners at that time weren't going to be eligible because of that pesky 5/24 which at that time was still a fairly new concept (it first came along in mid-2015).

The LEAKED link:
Monday August 15th, 2016... I'll never forget it. Sometime during the Monday work day, a LIVE link for the CSR was found, and the card wasn't going to be released for another week. And even crazier...the link did NOT have a 5/24 restriction!!

I ALWAYS perused r/churning on Mondays... I was bored, it was Monday, you know the drill. Well this Monday...I didn't. I was busy...doing who knows what... by the time I caught my "T" home...the link was DEAD!

Close to a hundred of my friends on r/churning took advantage of the link in the couple of hours it was up. And then a week later, when the card was officially launched, 5/24 was in place, and everybody who missed out on the leaked link got denied.

For those that care to read a bit more here and here.

August 2017... The ONE Sapphire to rule them all.
On or around August 27th, 2017 - Chase implemented a new rule on the Chase Sapphire card lineup. As we all know now, the "one Sapphire rule" basically tied the bonus eligibility on the 2 cards together. If you earned a bonus on either Sapphire card in the past 24 months, you were now ineligible for a bonus on the other one. So all of those new CSR fans who thought, wow I could get some more URs by grabbing a CSP... were suddenly not able to do so. CSR holders clung to their card stating "My Precious!" (Ok that last part is a little Gollum humor)

August 2018... no CHURN for you!
AGAIN On August 27, now in 2018 (what a crazy coincidence), just weeks before people would officially be able to churn the CSR due to the 24 month restriction... Chase dropped a hammer on churners: 48 MONTH RESTRICTION on the Sapphire line. So now not only was the one sapphire rule in affect, but if you earned a sapphire bonus on either card in the past 48 months you were shut out! Support links lived on for another 3 weeks or so but then those were gone too.

Also in or around August 2018 is when rumblings started about the death of the double dip as Chase began manually closing cards that were applied for on the same day. Of course, as we know now, there still is the MDD which is alive and well to this day, but the death of the double dip was scary for many churners. You can read more about that here.

If you haven't been around this game long, you need to realize that we basically expect doom and gloom. There's a LOT of bad news in this game, lol. You just learn to roll with it!

TODAY... August 2020
So why write all of this now? Well, an interesting milestone is about to arise. Some unknown churner out there will soon be the first person to churn the CSR. If the earliest you could apply was 8/15/16 via a leaked link or 8/22/16 via public link, then even if you met your MSR immediately, that first statement close would not have occurred until Sept 2016 meaning 48 months would happen in Sept 2020. I wonder if there's somebody out there who grabbed a CSR via the leaked link and is still under 5/24 ready to be the first to churn the CSR??

If you're one of those early CSR applicants, it might be worth looking back to see when you earned your CSR bonus because you soon might be eligible for a new Sapphire card.

To be eligible for a CSP and/or CSR bonus here's what I believe are the restrictions:
  • Not currently a cardholder of a CS, CSP, or CSR (if you have one you can simply PC to a CF or CFU to get around this - you don't have to close the card).
  • 48 months have passed since you earned (and posted) any signup bonus on a Sapphire card.
I hope you enjoyed this little walk down memory lane. I am somewhat of a churning historian so it was fun to put this together!

Last edited:
Related to my previous post... my biggest churning facepalm moment of 2016:

Hopefully more dp's come out before people start PCing and apping for a new CSR. Starting to look like Chase might be denying for being 2/6, though nothing concrete yet. But more people on r/churning are coming in with denials that would normally not be getting them, similar to the people here. Def going to change things once it's sorted out enough to know what it all means.

Hi Everyone!

I'm looking for a little help in finding the next CC for me. I have some big expenses coming up, and would like to take advantage to meet spending requirements on any bonuses. I'm hoping for more travel cards to help me stockpile points for future travel. We don't have any imminent need, we have a couple of trips planned, but have enough points, should we actually move forward with those trips.

Cards in the last 24 months
02/19 Amex Delta Gold.
05/19 Chase Preferred
06/19 Chase Freedom Unlimited

A couple of older cards I still have
06/04 Capital One Quicksilver
07/15 Citi double cash back

A little about me.
I spend anywhere from 1k - 3k per month. I do have some big expenses coming up though.
I always pay off my CC in full every month (sometimes, I make multiple payments in a month)
I fly out of MSP (Minneapolis, St. Paul- MN)
I prefer Delta, since it’s the biggest player in MN.
Southwest does serve MSP, but it’s pretty limited, so not preferred.
Currently I have both Marriott and Hilton rewards programs - but those are mostly due to work travel. Not doing much work travel now, so I’m not tied to either of them.

I have points in
Chase Ultimate rewards 87,969pts
Delta Skymiles 79,192
Marriott Bonvoy 34,913
Hilton Honors 40,485

Goals - I have a general list. Most of these don’t have a timeline, except for WDW. We have 2 trips planned, but I’m not sure if we’ll do both. One in October and one in Feb. Both, we’re holding out to see how things go in FL.
Walt Disney World
Disneyland
Hawaii
Europe
Travel will most likely just be me and my BF. We have no kids. Some extended family may travel, with us, but nothing planned yet.

Thank you for any help!
Rebecca
How much are you going to be traveling by air? And what is your spend usually on?
Really the only UR card you don't have other than business is a Freedom, not a bad card but not something great for SUB purposes. I'm partial to the AMEX Gold, that SUB got me and my whole family to WDW last year, and is going to get me and my wife to Europe in DeltaOne eventually. Another that quite a few people here love is the Hilton Aspire, I'm really considering upgrading my no AF version to it. I just downgraded my Delta Gold to a Delta Blue, the only two differences were the checked bag and earlier boarding, I can do without those things to save the $99 AF.

How much are you going to be traveling by air? And what is your spend usually on?
Really the only UR card you don't have other than business is a Freedom, not a bad card but not something great for SUB purposes. I'm partial to the AMEX Gold, that SUB got me and my whole family to WDW last year, and is going to get me and my wife to Europe in DeltaOne eventually. Another that quite a few people here love is the Hilton Aspire, I'm really considering upgrading my no AF version to it. I just downgraded my Delta Gold to a Delta Blue, the only two differences were the checked bag and earlier boarding, I can do without those things to save the $99 AF.
Thanks for your response!
We will basically be traveling by air, anytime we go on vacation. Last year, that was 4 times, but that might be high. I'd safely say 2 times a year, with 2 of us. I like to get away during the winter months.
My monthly spend is usually on home remodeling, some dining, utilities, clothes, household, and limited groceries (we get other discounts on majority of our groceries).
The Freedom doesn't really appeal to me since most of the benefit is for grocery.
I don't know a lot about the membership points for AMEX. I'm seeing a SUB for the Amex Gold of 35,000 points now - is that about what you had seen? Or do you think it would be worth holding off for a bit for a better offer? Not sure how far those go, compared to Chase URs.

We will basically be traveling by air, anytime we go on vacation. Last year, that was 4 times, but that might be high. I'd safely say 2 times a year, with 2 of us. I like to get away during the winter months.
My monthly spend is usually on home remodeling, some dining, utilities, clothes, household, and limited groceries (we get other discounts on majority of our groceries).
The Freedom doesn't really appeal to me since most of the benefit is for grocery.
I don't know a lot about the membership points for AMEX. I'm seeing a SUB for the Amex Gold of 35,000 points now - is that about what you had seen? Or do you think it would be worth holding off for a bit for a better offer? Not sure how far those go, compared to Chase URs.

I just saw a SUB for the Gold of 50K. I pulled it up on the Amex site without logging in.

I already have the card but was checking to see what SUB would pop up.

In any case a support link will get you 40K, but if you keep looking you'll probably find the 50K offer.

Hello DISchurners friends and welcome to the month of August. If you're anything like me, you have no idea that it's August because you're still waiting for March Madness, the Masters, the NBA Finals, and a bunch of other things to happen before it could possibly be August...but I assure you, it is in fact AUGUST.

August has a very interesting history with the Chase Sapphire Reserve card. You see, back in August 2016, the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card (CSR) was released. Newer churners may not even remember a time before the CSR existed but to many long-time churners it was a defining point in churning history.

The CSR and it's all-time high bonus of 100,000 UR POINTS (yes you read that right) for just $4k MSR was indeed a game changer. What was once a fringe hobby suddenly got thrust in to the mainstream. People were talking about this new credit card and it's sign-up bonus worth $1,500 in free travel! A $450 annual fee seemed like a non-issue. This card, and its big-time bonus brought a bunch of people into the churning game and in my humble opinion, too many of them stuck around. What's done is done, and there's no sense in crying over spilled milk but the Pre-CSR churning days are thought of as the "good old days" by many a veteran churner.

Nonetheless, this new card came along...and attracted a ton of new people, BUT most churners at that time weren't going to be eligible because of that pesky 5/24 which at that time was still a fairly new concept (it first came along in mid-2015).

The LEAKED link:
Monday August 15th, 2016... I'll never forget it. Sometime during the Monday work day, a LIVE link for the CSR was found, and the card wasn't going to be released for another week. And even crazier...the link did NOT have a 5/24 restriction!!

I ALWAYS perused r/churning on Mondays... I was bored, it was Monday, you know the drill. Well this Monday...I didn't. I was busy...doing who knows what... by the time I caught my "T" home...the link was DEAD!

Close to a hundred of my friends on r/churning took advantage of the link in the couple of hours it was up. And then a week later, when the card was officially launched, 5/24 was in place, and everybody who missed out on the leaked link got denied.

On or around August 27th, 2017 - Chase implemented a new rule on the Chase Sapphire card lineup. As we all know now, the "one Sapphire rule" basically tied the bonus eligibility on the 2 cards together. If you earned a bonus on either Sapphire card in the past 24 months, you were now ineligible for a bonus on the other one. So all of those new CSR fans who thought, wow I could get some more URs by grabbing a CSP... were suddenly not able to do so. CSR holders clung to their card stating "My Precious!" (Ok that last part is a little Gollum humor)

AGAIN On August 27, now in 2018 (what a crazy coincidence), just weeks before people would officially be able to churn the CSR due to the 24 month restriction... Chase dropped a hammer on churners: 48 MONTH RESTRICTION on the Sapphire line. So now not only was the one sapphire rule in affect, but if you earned a sapphire bonus on either card in the past 48 months you were shut out! Support links lived on for another 3 weeks or so but then those were gone too.

Also in or around August 2018 is when rumblings started about the death of the double dip as Chase began manually closing cards that were applied for on the same day. Of course, as we know now, there still is the MDD which is alive and well to this day, but the death of the double dip was scary for many churners. You can read more about that here.

If you haven't been around this game long, you need to realize that we basically expect doom and gloom. There's a LOT of bad news in this game, lol. You just learn to roll with it!

TODAY... August 2020
So why write all of this now? Well, an interesting milestone is about to arise. Some unknown churner out there will soon be the first person to churn the CSR. If the earliest you could apply was 8/15/16 via a leaked link or 8/22/16 via public link, then even if you met your MSR immediately, that first statement close would not have occurred until Sept 2016 meaning 48 months would happen in Sept 2020. I wonder if there's somebody out there who grabbed a CSR via the leaked link and is still under 5/24 ready to be the first to churn the CSR??

If you're one of those early CSR applicants, it might be worth looking back to see when you earned your CSR bonus because you soon might be eligible for a new Sapphire card.

To be eligible for a CSP and/or CSR bonus here's what I believe are the restrictions:
  • Not currently a cardholder of a CS, CSP, or CSR (if you have one you can simply PC to a CF or CFU to get around this - you don't have to close the card).
  • 48 months have passed since you earned (and posted) any signup bonus on a Sapphire card.
I hope you enjoyed this little walk down memory lane. I am somewhat of a churning historian so it was fun to put this together!
Well, we are some of those relative newbies, so I guess some of the too many who stuck around? My DD got the CSR in 2016, but the fee kept me away until I started reading this thread. We were among the last of the DD'ers on 8/26/18!

The LEAKED link:

TODAY... August 2020

I was in my early churning days back then- I was at universal orlando when the leaked link came out. I was only 2/24 at the time so I applied via the regular link. 2 years ago I was ready to churn- shut down lol.

So come October, I’ll be attempting a csp/ csr double dip at 4/24. If I don’t get them, I’d be back to 0/24 by February and I haven’t applied for any new cars since my last cip in February.

Here we go- how’s it gonna blow up this time.

Also I have no idea why I’m still so interested in this- I have 485,000 UR, 195,000 Rapid rewards, 150,000 Marriott points and a 35k free night certificate, and 125,000 MR.

Oh and no travel plans for the foreseeable future.

The SUB when I got mine almost two years ago was 60,000. I use more MR for two reasons, I have more of them, and they transfer to Delta. I put all my dining and groceries on it, usually get about 6,000 MR per month. Before COVID, I was looking at using MR for flights to Paris, it was 50,000 for a flight in C+. MR transfers to Hilton at 1:2 so one MR is worth 2 Honors points. Depending on where you do your household shopping, Meijer counts as groceries.

One other thing that might be worth looking into is upgrading your Delta card to the Platinum or Reserve. The Platinum offers an annual coach companion ticket and some additional benefits over the Gold.

I just saw a SUB for the Gold of 50K. I pulled it up on the Amex site without logging in.

I already have the card but was checking to see what SUB would pop up.

In any case a support link will get you 40K, but if you keep looking you'll probably find the 50K offer.
Thanks for the tip! I’ll keep looking

The SUB when I got mine almost two years ago was 60,000. I use more MR for two reasons, I have more of them, and they transfer to Delta. I put all my dining and groceries on it, usually get about 6,000 MR per month. Before COVID, I was looking at using MR for flights to Paris, it was 50,000 for a flight in C+. MR transfers to Hilton at 1:2 so one MR is worth 2 Honors points. Depending on where you do your household shopping, Meijer counts as groceries.

One other thing that might be worth looking into is upgrading your Delta card to the Platinum or Reserve. The Platinum offers an annual coach companion ticket and some additional benefits over the Gold.
Thanks for the extra info. It does seem like a good direction to go. I may keep looking for a better offer though.
I was thinking about upgrading my delta Amex to Platinum. I’ll have to look at the rules for the companion pass. I don’t know when we’ll really start to travel again and would hate for it to expire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter