I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops - one more question if it's ok. If we get the CSR (and maybe also the CSP) cards how long do we need to keep them? Is there a minimum like one year? I can see us keeping one longer term, but probably not both (and esp. if we end up with 4 of them :rotfl:).

Definitely should not keep all four cards lol. I’d keep them for a year and then downgrade to a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited. Downgrading helps because your credit score won’t take a hit from closing an account. I’d probably keep one CSR or CSP. It depends if the CSRs annual fee is worth it to you. Personally, I’ll probably keep one CSR. The other cards you can keep in your sock drawer and use occasionally. The freedom has rotating 5% back categories that you may want to take advantage of.

Definitely should not keep all four cards lol. I’d keep them for a year and then downgrade to a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited. Downgrading helps because your credit score won’t take a hit from closing an account. I’d probably keep one CSR or CSP. It depends if the CSRs annual fee is worth it to you. Personally, I’ll probably keep one CSR. The other cards you can keep in your sock drawer and use occasionally. The freedom has rotating 5% back categories that you may want to take advantage of.

Thanks, yeah I def. don't want to keep them all! So if we do just 2 we can downgrade one and keep one, either keeping it at the higher level or downgrading it if we need to. Would it be bad to cancel one? DH just hates having extra stuff to worry about. I didn't realize closing an account would hurt our credit. So new at all of this, and so much to learn.

Thanks, yeah I def. don't want to keep them all! So if we do just 2 we can downgrade one and keep one, either keeping it at the higher level or downgrading it if we need to. Would it be bad to cancel one? DH just hates having extra stuff to worry about. I didn't realize closing an account would hurt our credit. So new at all of this, and so much to learn.

Not bad to cancel, but you should wait a bit (about a year) so Chase won’t get mad. If you have it open for a few months and just get the bonus they won’t like that, but at your year anniversary you are fine to cancel.

Your credit score will probably take a small hit when you cancel a card. Your credit limit will go down, but you can ask to transfer your limit to another card before you cancel. Also having a lot of cards with a long credit history helps your average age of accounts. If you do cancel though it won’t have a huge impact. If it would stress you DH it may just makes sense to cancel. Idk if this will help with the stress but all your Chase cards will be in the same login though so if you have one monitoring the other isn’t that big of a deal.

Last edited:
There is a new Amex Delta Gold cc offer - either business or personal. 60K points with only $1k spend + $50 statement credit with Delta purchase in first 3 months + waived first year fee. I was able to get this by logging into DH's Delta account. No lifetime language on this one either. This was a no brainer for us since the business version won't count toward 5/24. Sadly, no referral links for this one.

As much as I didn't like the Amex spend, and a relieved as I was to finish my SPG business, this card would also be a no brainer for me. Our SW CP expires in Dec. We have been flying out of MSP to save money but that airport is 170 miles away. We have a Delta hub about 15 miles away. I have a few Delta points from yeas ago which I would have forgotten about if they didn't keep sending out mailers and reminding me. I got the SPG to get the Hotel + Air package. I logged into my Delta account but I couldn't find this offer. I'm not sure if I willing to do a 30,000 offer. Any suggestions?

Wow you guys are so awesome! Thanks for all the feedback!

I opened CIC in Apr 2017 and CIP in July 2017. I booked the cruise directly with NCL because I was getting in on the reduced deposit thing ($150) but I would not have any problem with cancelling to rebook with Costo. We do not have a Costco membership yet but I’d love to have one. We booked an inside cabin and we are already wishing we booked a balcony. I did a quick comparison between Southwest and JetBlue this morning but for June of 2018 just to see the difference. Southwest was about $2600 RT for the three of us with a stop in Chicago. JetBlue was $2200 with no stop.

I’m very thankful for all the tips everyone contributed. I wrote them all down. I am so excited about this trip. How sweet it is to be able to cut the cost.

You are in better shape than it originally appeared. That cic has dropped off and the CIP drops soon!

ETA: I think you can check pricing on the costco website to run your numbers. If you have to be logged in, pm me the cruise details and I can look it up for you...pricing and rebate.

Not bad to cancel, but you should wait a bit (about a year) so Chase won’t get mad. If you have it open for a few months and just get the bonus they won’t like that, but at your year anniversary you are fine to cancel.

Your credit score will probably take a small hit when you cancel a card. Your credit limit will go down, but you can ask to transfer your limit to another card before you cancel. Also having a lot of cards with a long credit history helps your average age of accounts. If you do cancel though it won’t have a huge impact. If it would stress you DH it may just makes sense to cancel. Idk if this will help with the stress but all your Chase cards will be in the same login though so if you have one monitoring the other isn’t that big of a deal.

Great. Our other cards are old, so that should help. And the one login thing will definitely be a good thing for him.

@Lain that map is awesome! Thanks!
I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around disney Park/middle of city. Surely you don’t realize it once inside.

@Jen and Ashwin, thanks for the. correction. Yes the CIP was in branch, not csr.

Once you are inside the park it feels like it's Disney - that's why Walt and his imagineers created that berm - to keep the sight lines inside the park. When we stay onsite we don't even notice that there is a city all around us. And the ease of getting from one place to the next (because it's all jam-packed inside one tiny area) kind of makes up for the lack of land that could make it feel more like WDW. I love WDW but I also love how at DL we can park hop just by walking across the esplanade.

@Lain that map is awesome! Thanks!
I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around disney Park/middle of city. Surely you don’t realize it once inside.

The Disney bubble is very real. Keep in mind the city of Anaheim grew up around Disneyland. Before Walt built his Magic Kingdom there, all that land was orange groves. There are strict height restrictions for buildings around the resort so you don’t notice you’re in the middle of a city at ground level. The one place you might be able to glimpse some of the outside world is from P̶a̶r̶a̶d̶i̶s̶e̶ Pixar Pier looking out towards Katella, and of course if you’re high up on attractions like Mickey’s Fun Wheel, the Incredicoaster, or the Monorail.

As much as I didn't like the Amex spend, and a relieved as I was to finish my SPG business, this card would also be a no brainer for me. Our SW CP expires in Dec. We have been flying out of MSP to save money but that airport is 170 miles away. We have a Delta hub about 15 miles away. I have a few Delta points from yeas ago which I would have forgotten about if they didn't keep sending out mailers and reminding me. I got the SPG to get the Hotel + Air package. I logged into my Delta account but I couldn't find this offer. I'm not sure if I willing to do a 30,000 offer. Any suggestions?

Doctor of Credit has a couple links here you could try if you don't see it on your Delta account - https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ymmv...redit-no-lifetime-language-personal-business/

Wow you guys are so awesome! Thanks for all the feedback!

I opened CIC in Apr 2017 and CIP in July 2017. I booked the cruise directly with NCL because I was getting in on the reduced deposit thing ($150) but I would not have any problem with cancelling to rebook with Costo. We do not have a Costco membership yet but I’d love to have one. We booked an inside cabin and we are already wishing we booked a balcony. I did a quick comparison between Southwest and JetBlue this morning but for June of 2018 just to see the difference. Southwest was about $2600 RT for the three of us with a stop in Chicago. JetBlue was $2200 with no stop.

I’m very thankful for all the tips everyone contributed. I wrote them all down. I am so excited about this trip. How sweet it is to be able to cut the cost.
Check out Costco, usually it is a few hundred dollars back in a cashback card. If it’s been less than 30 days since you booked, I think maybe you can transfer the booking over to Costco as your travel agent.

Ugh Trying so hard to find a discount on $300 worth of tickets on Ticketmaster. Can’t find a grocery store here that carries GCs, can’t find any online discounts, Ticketmaster doesn’t take PayPal.

After we finish with our CIPs and decide to switch to a CSP, does that count as closing a credit card? I'm just wondering because eventually we would want to switch to no AF cards as well, but might reconsider if it means "closing" a card each time.

I KNEW better than to play with BoA but could I resist? No. Greed won. And slapped me in the face. BoA won’t process my checking/credit app without a business filing despite the fact I did a sole proprietorship and used my name (first last). Not that they had a problem hard hitting my credit!

After we finish with our CIPs and decide to switch to a CSP, does that count as closing a credit card? I'm just wondering because eventually we would want to switch to no AF cards as well, but might reconsider if it means "closing" a card each time.

Keep the CIP open for about a year and when your second annual fee comes up you can downgrade it to a Chase Ink Cash.

I agree with @speedyfishy about downgrading to the Ink Cash since it has no annual fee. If you downgrade (switch), its not considered closing. The CSP is a personal card, so I don't think you'd be permitted to switch over to that from the CIP. Best to apply for the CSP separately to get the sign-on bonus. Or the CSR. Or double dip CSP and CSR.

To all the newbies joining us on the thread recently:

We have a private Reddit group called DISchurners where you can support other DISers and see some of our best tips. I know some of you were very thankful to folks dishing out great advice. This is a great way to thank them. :thumbsup2 To join just send me a PM and I’ll get you hooked up :)

I KNEW better than to play with BoA but could I resist? No. Greed won. And slapped me in the face. BoA won’t process my checking/credit app without a business filing despite the fact I did a sole proprietorship and used my name (first last). Not that they had a problem hard hitting my credit!
Someone on Reddit said to contact BoA and then they’ll probably ask for 2 years of taxes instead. Lol, well moving on if that’s the case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts