I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have 30 days from when the annual fee posts to cancel the card and get a refund. If you are interested though you can ask to have the fee waived and keep it for another year. Chase seems to frequently waive the fee or give a statement credit for the Southwest cards.

What other Chase cards have you gotten in the last year? The business card in March and then going for another one now isn’t too quick, but just make sure you aren’t hitting Chase hard overall.

My SO got the CIP and the CIC like 35 days apart. I got the CIP in November and have been trying to get the CIC and can’t get approved. It’s really YMMV, but I would try.

Thanks. Will keep the 30 day timeline with SW in mind. As far as other cards I got the CFU 5/2017, AMEX Hilton Honors 6/2017, IHG 7/2017 and SW 8/2017. Just trying not to upset Chase. But seriously thinking about the Ink Business Unlimited.

Thanks. Will keep the 30 day timeline with SW in mind. As far as other cards I got the CFU 5/2017, AMEX Hilton Honors 6/2017, IHG 7/2017 and SW 8/2017. Just trying not to upset Chase. But seriously thinking about the Ink Business Unlimited.

You aren’t hitting chase hard at all in my opinion. you should be fine to try for the Ink Business Unlimited now.

Taste is personal, so I'd recommend you try all three. Three Africas is the lightest blend, Giant Steps is the darkest blend, and I believe Bella Donovan might be their most popular blend among the three. I personally veer towards the Bella Donovan and Giant Steps and enjoy them brewed in a French press or pour over. Blue Bottle also has a guide for making their New Orleans iced coffee at home: https://bluebottlecoffee.com/preparation-guides/new-orleans-iced.

Thanks! I usually like medium or dark roasts and then I use lots of sugar. I use the brown packets (at restaurants) and buy it in 10lb bags at home. Occasionally I use my French press, but I'm sort of lazy about it and most of the time pop a pod into the Tassimo or Keurig. I never drink coffee black. I grew up on hot tea, no sugar with a little milk. Only coffee drinker at my house so making a big pot is just not happening.

This is so funny because whenever I go out to eat no one has cash and we give the waiter multiple cards to split the bill. .

I went to lunch with about 5 other women on Monday and this is exactly how we do it. Everybody holds out their credit card, and the waiter does the charges one at a time. I was treated by my friend this day but sometimes if people have cash I cover it with my card and take the cash.

Yes, he figured it was a no brainer since the fee is waived the first year. So free Platinum status for a year, extra points, and a free night next year; it was kinda hard to say no to that :)

We have 23 nights right now, we'll get 15 with the Biz and then another 15 on our anniversary for the personal card in Dec. Probably the last time we'll get to Platinum unless they change the tiers again for the better (haha) but that's ok, we're mostly only eyeing up Gold Lifetime anyway.

Free Platinum until Feb 2020!

I agree not embarrassing, but he has strange ideas sometimes...He hates when I order an appetizer as my meal instead of a full dinner..I just don’t want or would eat the potatoes etc..

That's funny! My DH and I have pretty much changed how we eat out on our "date nights" entirely because we don't really like spending lots of $$$ on huge entree portions we don't finish. We now go to the same $$$ restaurants, but go during happy hour at the bar. Three of our favorite restaurants have happy hour menus with "small plates" and slightly discounted drinks. We get to try a few different small plates (cooked by the same $$$ chefs - often just smaller portions of regular apps or entrees) and have yummy drinks (seriously - all three make amazing cocktails with all kinds of interesting, fresh ingredients), without feeling stuffed and it seriously costs half of what a full dinner would be. Its still not what you'd call cheap (like $60/$70 for the two of us, including a couple of drinks), and some people might not see the "value" when you are spending $6 for a small plate that consists of 6 or 8 bites of food, but when those 6 or 8 bites are totally delicious, it works for us.

This is so funny because whenever I go out to eat no one has cash and we give the waiter multiple cards to split the bill.

I do not trust people to pay me back though. One time I covered an expensive $100+ Uber XL ride on my card and there was traffic so it cost like $40 more than we were expecting and I did not get any extra money from anyone. No big deal it’s only $40 but it’s not worth getting the points and then trying to get the money back.
I never have cash either! And I feel you on trying to get money from people. If they're not going to have it right then, I'm done. I really hate the feeling of owing someone anyways, and then if they don't feel the same urgency to pay me back... A few years ago it took my sister 8 months to pay me back $200. That was the last time! I had to guilt her into it - she'd had plenty going in and out over that time, and I was pretty pissed at her not only for that but other things too.

Right now I've got two things going on with owing money. One is that DH's best friend bought a house, and DH and his dad have gone up there several weekends to help him do some work. That costs us extra gas money and fast food meals, because it's almost an hour away and friend is a stereotypical bachelor, so no food in house. That's fine, I don't care, helping a friend. But DH and his dad have decided several times to stop at Home Depot to buy supplies, because they didn't want the friend to get the wrong stuff. Ok... but now we have spent $250 on supplies... when will we get that back from friend, who is broke because they just bought a house that needs a ton of work? :confused3 If we end up writing it off and calling it a gift to friend (because I won't ruin the friendship over that, but that will be the end of spotting money for him...) I will just be annoyed because it's all been since the AMEX 10% offers came out, so if we were going to cover it anyways we could have used those...

Then my cousin and his wife have turned it into a competition about who is covering the bill. I think they think we have no money because we're still with the ILs... At this point I'm just like, you cover yours and let us cover ours! And the other day she told me, I have a Christmas gift for you I forgot, I'll give it to you next month! And I thought... noooo.... I didn't get her anything because I'm at a point where all of my friends are adults and buy what they want, and I'd rather we just hang out then buy each other stuff and add to clutter. But now I feel like I need to find her something before I go home next month, for her baby shower! I just want the craziness to end!

I never have cash either! And I feel you on trying to get money from people. If they're not going to have it right then, I'm done. I really hate the feeling of owing someone anyways, and then if they don't feel the same urgency to pay me back... A few years ago it took my sister 8 months to pay me back $200. That was the last time! I had to guilt her into it - she'd had plenty going in and out over that time, and I was pretty pissed at her not only for that but other things too.

Right now I've got two things going on with owing money. One is that DH's best friend bought a house, and DH and his dad have gone up there several weekends to help him do some work. That costs us extra gas money and fast food meals, because it's almost an hour away and friend is a stereotypical bachelor, so no food in house. That's fine, I don't care, helping a friend. But DH and his dad have decided several times to stop at Home Depot to buy supplies, because they didn't want the friend to get the wrong stuff. Ok... but now we have spent $250 on supplies... when will we get that back from friend, who is broke because they just bought a house that needs a ton of work? :confused3 If we end up writing it off and calling it a gift to friend (because I won't ruin the friendship over that, but that will be the end of spotting money for him...) I will just be annoyed because it's all been since the AMEX 10% offers came out, so if we were going to cover it anyways we could have used those...

Then my cousin and his wife have turned it into a competition about who is covering the bill. I think they think we have no money because we're still with the ILs... At this point I'm just like, you cover yours and let us cover ours! And the other day she told me, I have a Christmas gift for you I forgot, I'll give it to you next month! And I thought... noooo.... I didn't get her anything because I'm at a point where all of my friends are adults and buy what they want, and I'd rather we just hang out then buy each other stuff and add to clutter. But now I feel like I need to find her something before I go home next month, for her baby shower! I just want the craziness to end!

It really bugs me when people don’t pay me back. Never has it been $200+ for me so it’s not a big deal and maybe they just forgot, but I’d rather not deal with it and I’ll just cover my own stuff.

I hate going to restaurants too and there is a clear discrepancy in the cost of what people order and then the bill gets split evenly. One time I ordered just an appetizer and dessert because I just ate and everyone else is getting 6 course meals. my $20 meal ended up costing me $80 I was so pissed. Another time with a huge group we split evenly, not at my suggestion, and a girl was yelling at me because I got a refill on my iced tea and that it isn’t fair since she didn’t get a refill and why does everyone have to pay for those that chose to get refills. That was bizzare. Refills were free. So awkward though.

Going out to eat with my with family SO and I are never allowed to pay. My parents, aunts and uncles, grandparents always cover it but I’m told to repay it with taking my little siblings and cousins out and we always cover that.

With SO’s family we take turns paying. With his parents covering most of the time.

I'm working on the MSR on my CIP. I know everyone says that they don't check to make sure you put business expenses on it, but I still get nervous! Is it okay to put my room deposit for our May 2019 WDW trip on it to go towards the MSR? Any benefit to putting that deposit on my CSP instead?

As others have said, I don't think Chase cares at all what charges you put on your business cards. I knocked off the MSR on DH's CIP in one transaction paying off one of our reservations for an upcoming Adventures by Disney trip (clearly not a business trip, lol) with no issues whatsoever. I'm not sure if you get any travel protection benefits out of charging to your CSP (we exclusively use my CSR and have sock-drawered DH's CSP until we product change it), but you will get 3x UR by putting it on your CIP versus 2x on the CSP.

When I bought 2x $100 VGCs from Safeway yesterday, the cashier shook her head disapprovingly and said, "So you saved what $3, $4? Was that worth it when you're going to be paying all those fees?" I had no idea what she was talking about. I said, "I bought $200 for $196.90, so yeah I'm pretty happy." I didn't even mention that I was getting 5% cash back in UR, worth 50% more towards travel when I move them to my CSR. And what fees? We pay off our credit bill every month and never leave money on GCs for very long.

:confused3

Ughh...I hate hearing about cashiers at our stores saying things like that. So not appropriate, especially when it's a special offer that's supposed to encourage people to buy the gift cards. Sorry about that. I'll try to remember to mention it to one of our execs.

In case anyone was questioning the Starbucks Amex offer, I reloaded through the app on June 15, got an email about using my offer immediately, and got a $5 credit june 17.,

Same here. Reloaded via the Starbucks app with all four of my Amex cards on June 15 and had the $5 statement credits on each card when I next checked my accounts on June 18.

It really bugs me when people don’t pay me back. Never has it been $200+ for me so it’s not a big deal and maybe they just forgot, but I’d rather not deal with it and I’ll just cover my own stuff.

I hate going to restaurants too and there is a clear discrepancy in the cost of what people order and then the bill gets split evenly. One time I ordered just an appetizer and dessert because I just ate and everyone else is getting 6 course meals. my $20 meal ended up costing me $80 I was so pissed. Another time with a huge group we split evenly, not at my suggestion, and a girl was yelling at me because I got a refill on my iced tea and that it isn’t fair since she didn’t get a refill and why does everyone have to pay for those that chose to get refills. That was bizzare. Refills were free. So awkward though.

Going out to eat with my with family SO and I are never allowed to pay. My parents, aunts and uncles, grandparents always cover it but I’m told to repay it with taking my little siblings and cousins out and we always cover that.

With SO’s family we take turns paying. With his parents covering most of the time.
:laughin:g oh man, the refills. But yes, I hate the unevenness of splitting too. Unless it's just us and another person or couple, and we're like oh we'll cover the appetizer we split... nope, the server can split it. I love how on the little Ziosks you can split by item or amount... but that's mainly so I can use up two AMEX offers like at Olive Garden :P

Figured out DHs friend is at $150, the other $100 was work stuff DH is expensing, so that's better. My sister made me so mad though. Besides the fact that had just been acting like a big jerk in general, she calls me up at work one morning bawling because her car got towed. Because she'd been parking it on campus with no permit, and had gotten so many tickets (that were unpaid) that when they found it this time they towed it. So I told her, if she could get a ride across town she could take my debit card to the atm and get $200 out (the limit). It was like $300 to get it out so idk what she did for the rest of the money. She borrowed her roommates car and came for my debit card and brought it back (I had to work 9am to 7pm+ that day). Over the next 8 months she spent a bunch of money on crap and eating out and weight loss supplements, I'm sure on underage drinking, blew through her $2k student loan refund in a month, went on an all expense paid spring break to Cancun with her roommates family (she was told to bring $300 for swimming with dolphins and ziplining, then the family covered it anyways). So finally I guilted her into because I told her what pissed me off about it was that she didn't come and say, can I pay you after the trip, or something like that, she just said nothing. Which was truthfully what irritated me, and then with the way she was acting and the fact that I was moving soon, I was getting my darn $200 back.

I feel your pain. I’m in Antingua teaching CPR classes this whole week at some all inclusive resorts. Since it is business and not vacation, any expenses have to go on the company card. DH came with me on his own dime (we’ve never been to Antigua) so he used the Amex Platinum for 5x on the airfare. There was no availability on miles for the flight and business class was sold out anyhow. I’m laughing because between the China ABD’s internal flights and this work trip of mine, the plane princess will have been subjected to a whopping 7 economy flights all in less than one month’s time :rotfl2:

It’s very bizarre to have an entire week of no churning, stacking of bonuses or earning any points and miles. I’m about to go pull the trigger on all 5 Hilton Amex offers I have on various cards just to feel as if I’ve accomplished something. Not really, but at least the one on the Aspire since I will also get 14x Hilton points per dollar and the $20 statement credit.

Can you review the resort when you get back? I am always on the lookout for a nice beach destination!

Yes Minnie Van's will count! It codes as travel on the Reserve. Just make sure Freedom is your default card on the Lyft app. Good way to justify the expense. (I've only used it to go back and forth to HDDR).

Oh good, well I will get a tiny bit of use from the CF this quarter.

I hate going to restaurants too and there is a clear discrepancy in the cost of what people order and then the bill gets split evenly.

This drives me crazy too. Why can't we all just pay for what we ordered. This weekend we were out with 2 other families. DH and I both ordered $6-7 sandwiches, no apps, etc. The other families ordered real entrees, appetizers, etc. We split the bill evenly. Kids were involved too, but we each paid $65 before tip. Again, we had $7 sandwiches...:headache:
We are trying to watch our budget til DH starts closing some sales at his new job, so it was extra frustrating this particular time. Usually I just try to have a "it is all a wash in the long run" view on this method of bill splitting.

Ugh. We got golf ball sized up here. But we're like North Thornton, 144th and I25 area.

So loud! I hate it. What area are you? Both of our cars were in the drive way and we can see some damage. The one the ILs are buying is in the garage. DH is so mad, he hasn't even made his first payment on the new one :sad2:

I'm just east of Boulder and got about the same size hail as you. That is a serious bummer about your cars! As I was walking around yesterday, every car I saw had damage. DH's boss's car is covered with dents and the windshield got shattered. Our roof has hail damage and is going to need to be replaced, and one company I called is scheduling their estimators TWO MONTHS from now. Sounds like the DTC area got slammed in yesterday's hail storm too.

I guess the good news is I have an easy spend for a new MSR?!? :sad1:

:laughin:g oh man, the refills. But yes, I hate the unevenness of splitting too. Unless it's just us and another person or couple, and we're like oh we'll cover the appetizer we split... nope, the server can split it. I love how on the little Ziosks you can split by item or amount... but that's mainly so I can use up two AMEX offers like at Olive Garden :P

Figured out DHs friend is at $150, the other $100 was work stuff DH is expensing, so that's better. My sister made me so mad though. Besides the fact that had just been acting like a big jerk in general, she calls me up at work one morning bawling because her car got towed. Because she'd been parking it on campus with no permit, and had gotten so many tickets (that were unpaid) that when they found it this time they towed it. So I told her, if she could get a ride across town she could take my debit card to the atm and get $200 out (the limit). It was like $300 to get it out so idk what she did for the rest of the money. She borrowed her roommates car and came for my debit card and brought it back (I had to work 9am to 7pm+ that day). Over the next 8 months she spent a bunch of money on crap and eating out and weight loss supplements, I'm sure on underage drinking, blew through her $2k student loan refund in a month, went on an all expense paid spring break to Cancun with her roommates family (she was told to bring $300 for swimming with dolphins and ziplining, then the family covered it anyways). So finally I guilted her into because I told her what pissed me off about it was that she didn't come and say, can I pay you after the trip, or something like that, she just said nothing. Which was truthfully what irritated me, and then with the way she was acting and the fact that I was moving soon, I was getting my darn $200 back.

I learned a long time ago when I was in school how other people feel about bills you owe them. I owed something like $33 to someone. It wasn't that I didn't want to pay it back, it just was way not as important to me as it was to them. They finally got their money when they point blank asked me for it.

It sunk in eventually after I got older, but that uncomfortable exchange stayed with me. To this day, I believe in the 'neither a borrower nor a lender be'. So, when I've lent people money I've gone by the idea that if I can't afford to 'gift' it to them, I can't afford to lend it to them. I say goodbye to those dollars on the spot, or I don't lend them, or only give as much as I can afford not to get back. Except for one instance where I gave out $100 I've always been repaid. I'm still friends with the person that I gave the $100 to, but not generous with them.

I'm just east of Boulder and got about the same size hail as you. That is a serious bummer about your cars! As I was walking around yesterday, every car I saw had damage. DH's boss's car is covered with dents and the windshield got shattered. Our roof has hail damage and is going to need to be replaced, and one company I called is scheduling their estimators TWO MONTHS from now. Sounds like the DTC area got slammed in yesterday's hail storm too.

I guess the good news is I have an easy spend for a new MSR?!? :sad1:
Silver lining!

Last year I waited for the USAA appraiser to see my car before I called the shop I wanted... and they were out to July! Just to look! And when I took it then, they were out to September for repair! Yesterday I called the shop as soon as it opened... took my car by yesterday and DH's is next Tuesday. I still have to have USAA write an estimate, but the shop said we'd be at the top of their list for repair since we'd called right away. By the time we stopped by at 3:30pm with my car, they said they were out to July already!

Yes Minnie Van's will count! It codes as travel on the Reserve. Just make sure Freedom is your default card on the Lyft app. Good way to justify the expense. (I've only used it to go back and forth to HDDR).
I'm bargaining with DH... he's up for trying more resort restaurants if we're not relying on bus transportation. I would probably use a minnie van at least once with 5x pts :P

Churner Frustration...Get to entertain clients in a luxury suite tonight...Spend $3,000...all of it has to go on company card due to bank policy...BOOOOOOOO!
Yuck! DH stays at a Hilton once a week for work, and he can't use his personal Hilton card. He gets the points, but it would be so much sweeter to be getting more with his own card.

Ugh...same here not business related but when we go out to eat with another couple it’s split with cash...I’d love to put it on our CC and take the cash but my husband says that embarrassing.
Tell him he can be embarrassed in economy while you fly in first class because you only earned enough points to pay for one premium ticket. :tongue:

Well, it's been a full week since I initiated the SPG transfer from DH to me and there's no sign of any activity. I guess it didn't take after all.

Thanks to all who responded about the SW flights. I've advised the friend to transfer to RR for flexibility sake. I appreciate your input.

SM'd Friday to have my CIC expedited and it was waiting for me when I got home yesterday! Woo hoo!! Now I'm trying to figure out my strategy for $3000 in Disney GCs to get my APs. I'm working out the math and it seems it's a much better deal to use the CIC to buy Disney GC from Staples (would have to be online as there are no stores anywhere near me) and get 5x UR on that purchase. I know I'd have to pay the $1.99 shipping fee on each card, but that route still seems like a better return than buying the Disney GCs from Sam's Club since the percentage savings there is not much and it would only be 1x UR on the CIC. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!